A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Durn Geocachers!
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #930168 by Sir Braemoor
Jul 4, 2016 8:03am
Thread
One place rules are needed to keep the hobbies from getting a black eye, as "don't be stupid"

It's always difficult to legislate out "stupid"!

By making everything "fool proof", the herd doesn't cull itself enough via Darwin Awards as nature intended.

We'll all be drinking Brawndo soon.
Re: An event for disabled letterboxers
Reply to: #930178 by Una Marlee Sue
Jul 4, 2016 8:19am
Thread
Here is the url for the event www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?eventId=3699
Re: Durn Geocachers!
Reply to: #930180 by dingus dufus
Jul 4, 2016 9:13am
Thread
But Brawndo has what Letterboxers crave. It's got electrolytes!
Re: 4TH JULY
Reply to: #930152 by A Patriot
Jul 4, 2016 11:21am
Thread
Wow - this is amazing! We just found your box in Lansing, Michigan, on the 4th, of July. You made our day. Thanks for sharing your passion with us! - Celtic Suite
Reply to: #930164 by RideTheMoose
Jul 4, 2016 11:54am
Thread
Here's a site that lists wheelchair accessible trails and has links for each state at the bottom.

I checked out the ones in Utah. The Denver and Rio Grande Western Rail Trail. It has some benches and trash cans (that stink) that could be used for letterboxes. There are also sections where there are trees close enough that they could possibly be used. I've also hidden a geocache under a small piece of wood along this trail, which could also be used for a geocache. I've had another geocache along that trail that has gone missing three times from where I though was a really good place that would (almost) be wheelchair accessible. I suspect that the same will happen for letterboxes.

There are other trails in this area that I know of that are also wheelchair accessible: Bluff Trail, Ogden River Parkway, and Weber River Parkway. I'm submitting these to the web site to be listed.

Since there are many more geocaches than letterboxes I find that the more people that pass a location the more likely it is to be found. Hiding a wheelchair accessible letterbox that stays for a few years will be difficult. I'll probably make a try.
Reply to: #930075 by RideTheMoose
Jul 4, 2016 2:13pm
Thread
An indoor box that can be reached from a wheelchair and the building is handicapped accessible. A library quickly comes to my mind.
Reply to: #930164 by RideTheMoose
Jul 4, 2016 4:10pm
Thread
Looks to be several awesome trails in Cleveland area. I will do some investigating and see if boxes could be planted safely along them. Thanks for this link.
Jul 4, 2016 4:13pm
Thread
i wanna be you guys when i grow up. Wowser thanx so much for planting.

deniserows
towards retirement
Jul 4, 2016 5:27pm
Thread
I was FF on your Denver box. Thanks so much for the fun plants!
Reply to: #930128 by LightninBug
Jul 4, 2016 7:28pm
Thread
Perhaps hiding under a metallic bench with a hide-a-key that can be gotten to from the hip. etc...

I had one like that which lasted a few years. One of my favorites. The triangulation on it was particularly eevil :)
Reply to: #930261 by Sheba
Jul 4, 2016 7:56pm
Thread
Just a reminder bumping the even URL. www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?eventId=3699
Reply to: #930252 by Angel and Demon
Jul 4, 2016 8:36pm
Thread
What a day we had - anyone else experience moments of sheer bliss when everything seems to go as you wanted and what you created brings smiles all around? After we went to bed far later than we typically do, the day was spent with neighbors and family celebrating our fortune in living in a country that allows more freedoms than any other on the planet. Okay, except maybe Holland. Thank you everyone, we are truly blessed.

S and S (AP)
Reply to: #930270 by A Patriot
Jul 4, 2016 8:58pm
Thread
After we went to bed far later than we typically do, the day was spent with neighbors and family

I'm not judging but....
Reply to: #930232 by IrishRef
Jul 4, 2016 9:10pm
Thread
A library quickly comes to my mind.

Q for any disabled letterboxers: Do you guys get sick 'n tired of being limited to indoor boxes? Should the focus on planting for disabled finders be on outdoor boxes?
Stamping in while accompanying the planter: a find or not?
Jul 5, 2016 2:25pm
Thread
Agree for yes
Disagree for no
Re: Stamping in while accompanying the planter: a find or not?
Reply to: #930327 by pucker
Jul 5, 2016 2:29pm
Thread
Or 'Funny' for not touching that with a ten foot pole...
Jul 5, 2016 2:30pm
Thread
If they solved the clue/followed the clues, as a sort of "sanity check" for the clues, then I think yes. That's actually a good idea when feasible, to make sure the clues "work". But, if it is just following along, that's a much more gray area. But it's your logbook, do what YOU feel comfortable with.
Reply to: #930329 by wassamatta u
Jul 5, 2016 2:45pm
Thread
The question is, besides the log ins by people you planted with, when do you decide your clues are a fail? Almost 10 years on this http://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/clue/?boxId=19401
Reply to: #930330 by cooledcoyote
Jul 5, 2016 3:14pm
Thread
Clues don't fail but finders may.
Reply to: #930332 by Maude
Jul 5, 2016 3:33pm
Thread
I say as long as they follow the clues I don't see why not
Jul 5, 2016 3:49pm
Thread
My nieces do letterboxing with me and when I am planning a plant I always take them with me when I do the final plant. They are reading the clues as I have written them and are looking for the locations for the plants before we put the boxes out. I think this should count as a find for them; however: when they stamp the logbook they are NEVER first finders. The first page in my logbooks that they have helped me plant is left blank for the first finder along with the first finder gift. They log the box as a find after the first finder has logged it. It is like a checks and balances way of doing things. They have often looked at me like - WHAT??? were you think there?? and we then make the clue make sense for others to find. We have a lot of fun while we are doing this. But to each his own with this subject.
Jul 5, 2016 4:01pm
Thread
Do you mean following the clues and looking for the box or tagging along with the planter and just watching them stick it under the rock behind the tree and then the planter writes down the clues? Two different situations.

If it's just tagging along and watching I don't think it's a find. No one *found* anything. They 'watched'.

If I'm in that situation I will stamp the planted image in my logbook but not log a find and not stamp into the planted logbook. I didn't find anything. I watched.
Reply to: #930338 by KatieKat
Jul 5, 2016 4:04pm
Thread
Cooledcoyote, that box should be listed as a mystery.

It is listed as a mystery.
Reply to: #930340 by MissMoon
Jul 5, 2016 4:11pm
Thread
I only looked at it because it is in Connecticut, and is my handle. My point is it is a mystery that except for 4 finds probably on the day it was planted has gone unfound since. Surely if the clues we solvable somebody should have found it in ten years.
Reply to: #930342 by cooledcoyote
Jul 5, 2016 5:06pm
Thread
Actually I have a pretty good idea where this is, I just may try it when I'm back in the area.
Reply to: #930339 by MissMoon
Jul 5, 2016 5:55pm
Thread
If it's just tagging along and watching I don't think it's a find. No one *found* anything. They 'watched'.

IMHO, finds are path independent. Many of my finds are simply walking down a trail and looking for SPOR. Many of other peoples' finds are badgering me for clues, or buying me a beer to describe the location of one of my plants. (We call that a "win win" in mapsurfer land cuz beer works in that land :-))

So yeah, you found it if you found it. JMHO, of course, but why does anyone care? The experience is what the experience is, and the experience is all most people care about.
Jul 5, 2016 6:04pm
Thread
"Yes" when I first started planting.

"No" soon after that.

I've seen a few "First finder!" comments when the "first finder" accompanied the planter. Um, okay...
Jul 5, 2016 6:41pm
Thread
Stamping in while accompanying someone else who actually found the box: a find or not?
Reply to: #930349 by Rocklun
Jul 5, 2016 6:53pm
Thread
There is one planter that I can never be first finder because they take along their relative who is always FF on the day the box is planted.

KuKu
Jul 5, 2016 7:23pm
Thread
No. You didn't find the box by following the clues. But, you can get credit for planting, along with the planter. :-)