A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Are we supposed to mark boxes that we can't find as a strike
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #929583 by SpringChick
Jun 28, 2016 10:10am
Thread
The current way of doing things is actually a far cry from the early days. Back then, we printed up clues and went hiking (usually not just a drive to the local rest area)... generally we had no idea who had last found the box, when the box had last been found, or if there had been any attempts where the box was not found -- we logged our finds in our logbooks and logbooks were private. Some were there, some were not. Either way, it was all in a day of letterboxing... for me personally, there was always joy in finding a box, but I can't say there was lack of joy in not finding a box... still an enjoyable walk in the woods, and a bit of mind exercise.

I spent a few winters reading every post (and there are a lot) of the first 4-5 years to try and capture the feeling of the early days of boxing and understand and appreciate the development of North American boxing (and not talk out my rear end about boxing so much). It was very interesting and I highly recommend it to all 2nd-5th wave boxers out there. Folks back in the day were literally waiting for a letterbox to be planted in their area( though they'd take a lot of long road trips for a single box) so they'd have a box to find that weekend. Boxers often posted about their weekend with details about the journey and finds. Just amazing personal interactions between the first rag tag bunch of letterboxing pioneers.

Just now I'm thinking that is why I enjoy finding and making mystery boxes. In a way it recreates that atmosphere of the first few years where you are planting boxes for other like-minded letterboxers and can be happy with a handful of finders & finds.
Re: Benefits of yoga ...
Reply to: #929584 by Warrior Woman
Jun 28, 2016 10:53am
Thread
It sounds like you earned your "warrior" status. :)

It was quite inspiring to read.
Reply to: #929646 by dingus dufus
Jun 28, 2016 1:19pm
Thread
Yes, dingus, you are right. The earliest version of our clues was posting them on the talk list. The earliest version of our finds was posting a sit-rep for each box we found. Ah, the good old days.

Warrior Woman
first find 2000, first plant 2001
Supplies Galore
Jun 28, 2016 3:17pm
Thread
It's time to be in shock. I never knew we had a store right in the neighborhood with all the fancy supplies not seen at Michael's. I never went in, because I called, and they said they did not have carving materials, but--wow! All those Stazon inks and so many brands and colors of ink, distress inks, and the embossing supplies you folks are always mentioning. I have never seen any of them before.

Being cautious. I wanted to get every Ranger ink color. But I only bought colored and glossy blank cards. Waiting until I have an actual project, and need a particular ink color. I didn't even look at the copic markers. Stamps n More [I think that's the name] has an incredible selection, and I have been driving by it every day. Jeesh.
Re: Supplies Galore
Reply to: #929666 by Sunia
Jun 28, 2016 4:12pm
Thread
Stamps n More

And you drove by it??? lol
Reply to: #929669 by MissMoon
Jun 28, 2016 7:31pm
Thread
Until today, when I specifically drove TO it.
Re: What Are Some Creative & Clever Ways To Hide Letterboxes?
Reply to: #929634 by Green Tortuga
Jun 28, 2016 8:35pm
Thread
You just caught the post before a moderator deleted it.

Wasn't it one of the moderators that made that post?
Re: What Are Some Creative & Clever Ways To Hide Letterboxes?
Reply to: #929689 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jun 28, 2016 10:01pm
Thread
Wasn't it one of the moderators that made that post?

No.

-- Ryan
Re: Benefits of yoga ...
Reply to: #929584 by Warrior Woman
Jun 29, 2016 6:02am
Thread
That doesn't sound like any yoga I learned at the Franklin Athletic Club. Yoga at a gym almost killed me. I don't ever want to see Down Dog or whatever for the rest of my life.

But I do wish I had the techniques that you have conquering some of these straight up mountains that I had to find boxes at the top of.
Reply to: #929686 by Sunia
Jun 29, 2016 8:46am
Thread
Well, it's about time!

I'm not into scrapbooking, but I found the coolest supplies at a scrapbooking store. It's almost 1 hour drive from me, but I go about once a year to get all the things I'd otherwise have to order online.

For your glossy cards, you're going to either need to emboss them, or use Staz On ink, so that might help you figure out your next purchase!

Also, I find I don't really use Ranger Distress inks for stamping, because they leave little blobby, uneven pearly kind of markings when stamped... that's part of the distressed look. But I do use them to stamp on a craft sheet, spritz with water and then drag my cards through the puddle for nice backgrounds. It's nice to have at least 2 colors. Also the dark colors make cool edges on paper. Drag the card edge through across the inkpad, then spritz the card edge, or drag through some water on your craft sheet. It blooms and bleeds and looks cool.
A location that's begging for a Harry Potter box!
Jun 29, 2016 9:49am
Thread
Apparently, there's a secret wizarding school on top of Mount Greylock in Massachusetts! Not many letterboxers seem to visit Mount Greylock, which is unfortunate, since it's beautiful and has tons of trails, including the Appalachian Trail. I wonder if one or more Harry Potter boxes would lure more people to visit?

(I haven't read the story yet, though, so I'm not sure if Harry is even mentioned in it.)
Re: A location that's begging for a Harry Potter box!
Reply to: #929714 by Rocklun
Jun 29, 2016 9:52am
Thread
It's funny that you would post this since you were the first person I thought of when I read the article!! I mentioned it to Jibbybop and she wants to go. Perhaps a collaboration is in order?
Reply to: #929715 by Yumgirl
Jun 29, 2016 9:54am
Thread
I mentioned it to Jibbybop and she wants to go. Perhaps a collaboration is in order?

YES!!!! That's a good meeting point for us, I think.
Reply to: #929686 by Sunia
Jun 29, 2016 10:20am
Thread
Having been a rubber stamper for many years before letterboxing (rubber stamps got me into boxing), I agree with FloridaFour.

Glossy card stock is lots of fun, but you need to use permanent ink -- dye based inks can dry on there, too.

Pigment inks will NEVER dry on glossy! Pigment inks are Colorbox, also in the Petal Point Color Wheel, Cat's Eye, or in the Paintbox long strip. https://www.clearsnap.com/colorbox-classic-pigment-ink

However, because pigment inks don't dry on glossy, they are excellent for embossing, as it leaves you extra time to sprinkle on the powder.

One last comment about inks: Colorbox has some wonderful metallic pigment inks. As far as letterboxing goes, they are fine for your own signature stamp, but don't use them on the box stamp. Metallic inks are hard to clean off stamps -- easy enough in your house/craft room but not on the trail. Using them on the box stamp leaves lots of metallic residue. When someone else tries to get the stamp, that residue metallic ink will get on their pads and ruin them.

Have fun trying out embossing! One of my favorite things to do. A heat gun is the best and your store will have a nice craft version.

KuKu
Jun 29, 2016 10:49am
Thread
No Harry, but it is the location of Ilvermore, the North American school of Wizardry.....which back in the 1600's might have been a great location, but now it's awfully close to civilization and the Appalachian Trail!!!

Jaxx
Jun 29, 2016 11:08am
Thread
I read about the school on pottermore.com this morning! You can even get sorted into one of their four houses! :D
Jun 29, 2016 12:19pm
Thread
I'd be all over that like a hobo on a ham sandwich, after having conquered Magalloway Mountain last week :-)

Warrior Woman
wears a silver Fawkes necklace that my son gave to me on my 50th birthday
Jun 29, 2016 2:54pm
Thread
That was my first thought, too! I always have grandiose plans, but I'm terrible with follow-through... so I'm sure someone else would beat me to planting there. And anyway, since I've still not made it TO Mt Greylock, I'd probably plant on top of other boxes. :/

HP boxes might be sufficient to convince my twins to hike with me for a day, though!
Reply to: #929727 by Warrior Woman
Jun 29, 2016 2:56pm
Thread
Your necklace sounds awesome!
I have a tattoo that says I solemnly swear I am up to no good.
And my husband and I are getting harry potter tattoos together soon. :)
Reply to: #929758 by heartsquare
Jun 29, 2016 3:08pm
Thread
There really aren't many boxes on the mountain, considering how many trails there are. I planted a couple last year, and I think they have each been found (at least, logged on AQ) once or twice. The summit road is closed from mid-October through mid-May, which cuts down on possible finders.
Reply to: #929761 by Rocklun
Jun 29, 2016 4:57pm
Thread
I am hosting this tracker for Fantastic Beasts and where to find them http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?trackerId=9027

....which is why JK Rowling has revealed the wizarding school in Mass. Only four more spots left, but the four houses of this school are fantastic beasts in America and would give you a basis for boxes for this plant. I would donate mine to this cause....maybe the other carvers would too.
Jun 29, 2016 5:51pm
Thread
I was sorted into Horned Serpent!!

We love Mt Greylock, but haven't boxed there yet.
Reply to: #929563 by Jean Paul Sartre
Jun 29, 2016 7:02pm
Thread
OK, now you've got me singing the Python philosopher's drinking song...
Jun 29, 2016 8:43pm
Thread
You can apparently drive to the summit of Mount Greylock, late May through November 1st. It sounds ripe for a Harry Potter letterbox.
Reply to: #929722 by Jaxx
Jun 29, 2016 8:46pm
Thread
back in the 1600's might have been a great location, but now it's awfully close to civilization and the Appalachian Trail!!!

Aren't the schools in another dimension? Otherwise, a castle like where Harry Potter trained would be a tourist spot.
Reply to: #929708 by FloridaFour
Jun 29, 2016 8:51pm
Thread
Versafine prints on the glossy cards. I used them once before. They smudge easily, so there is some loss, though.

I have not learned embossing yet.

The regular Ranger pads come in more colors than Versafine.
Reply to: #929719 by KuKu
Jun 29, 2016 8:53pm
Thread
I have seen many warnings not to use metallic ink on boxes!
Reply to: #929797 by Sunia
Jun 30, 2016 2:44am
Thread
Yes. The regular ranger pads are good. I just don't care for the distress pads.

Versafine smudges because it is oil based. Hard to soak into glossy cards. I don't think the ranger will smudge, but not sure. I just recently bought 2 pads of it.
Reply to: #929658 by Warrior Woman
Jun 30, 2016 3:50am
Thread
Ah, the sit-rep... I kind of miss those. Not only the report on the box, but they could be so amusing and it gave you a glimpse into the personality of other boxers that you just don't get with a find in an online logbook.
Reply to: #929795 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jun 30, 2016 5:51am
Thread
They are heavily guarded by all sorts of magical enchantments. For example, if a muggle were to stumble upon Hogwarts it would look like an abandoned house. And they have memory charms so that people won't remember where they are. I've always thought that maybe there is a secret house similar to Grimmauld place next to my grandfather's house. His house is 37 and the house next door is 33. No 35!
Well I can only imagine!