A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Opinion: Old & Unpopular Box
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #926505 by Sir Braemoor
May 17, 2016 10:27am
Thread
I can't even pay people to find mine :) (not entirely true, as some people are trying)

I think after adding up the man/women hours, it'll be third world wages - though for a feather in the cap of the first order.

Hopefully folks will someday have that Carter's reply to Carnarvon moment!

(P.S. I am doing the lightest lifting in our group's efforts)
Reply to: #926433 by RideTheMoose
May 18, 2016 1:20am
Thread
It took 3 years for lig to find my letterbox in the Philippines. Before that, I had one attempt, who said it was missing, but it was by a person who was not a letterboxer, so I hoped they just didn't know what they were doing. They didn't. The box was there. For 3 years, it remained in a very public spot and probably thousands of people passed by it. So it was a great joy to me when lig found it. Lig was also the first of just a few people to find all 3 letterboxes on my kayak accessible series. Some people like these out of the way boxes.

So definitely fix up your clues. Maybe post an update that the box has been maintained, so people won't think it just went missing. I personally love finding boxes that are rarely found. It does help to have 2 or 3 others nearby. That way, if one goes missing, at least your trip out there results in a few finds. Hopefully the location is also interesting, so it's worth it no matter what.
Re: Letterbox Curse
Reply to: #926338 by SpringChick
May 18, 2016 3:59am
Thread
I've never heard this before, but I love it! Thanks for sharing. Anybody else think it would make a good series....?
May 18, 2016 5:21pm
Thread
I put a pile of old silver coins in my last box. I can't even pay people to find mine :) (not entirely true, as some people are trying).

In any case, in my backward view of the world, rarely found boxes are way cooler than frequently found ones.

We're trying! Enjoying the process immensely, though it may still be a little while before we find anything. I wholeheartedly agree that rarely found boxes, especially those that are rarely found because they're insidiously clever, are so much rewarding for those who do eventually find them.
Re: Letterbox Curse
Reply to: #926541 by TrailTroll
May 18, 2016 9:29pm
Thread
Very cute and very creative!
May 19, 2016 6:34am
Thread
can you give a link to this box?

Here it is in its unedited glory!

http://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/clue/?boxId=63991
Reply to: #926592 by RideTheMoose
May 19, 2016 7:00am
Thread
You have lots of cool clue sets! On this one, the planter could legitimately log it as a find after the right cocktail ;)

Keep the Owl in play!
Reply to: #926597 by dingus dufus
May 19, 2016 8:13am
Thread
On this one, the planter could legitimately log it as a find after the right cocktail ;) Keep the Owl in play!

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster
Reply to: #926433 by RideTheMoose
May 19, 2016 4:54pm
Thread
Keep it. Improve clues and appeal. Plant another one or two or three in the general area to attract for multiple finds. What would you want as a LBs?
Re: Looks like the games afoot - AQ takes out LBNA
Reply to: #923459 by Captain Obvious!
May 22, 2016 6:43am
Thread
Haha! agreed
Love is in the air...and on the trails!!
May 23, 2016 12:11pm
Thread
So, a young couple went out hunting several of my boxes yesterday, and at one box, the boyfriend snuck an engagement ring in it without her seeing... and when she opened it to stamp in, he proposed!! And, she said, Yes!" How cool is THAT?? To date, I have never received a find report like that one! Anyone else had a similar, or unique find story on one of your boxes?
Re: Love is in the air...and on the trails!!
Reply to: #926769 by Gypsy Fiddler
May 23, 2016 12:15pm
Thread
That is sooooooo awesome! I planted our first letterbox on mine and my husband's first wedding anniversary and surprised him with it when he found it.
I just said hey there's a new letterbox here we have to find it maybe we'll be first finder! And I let him open it up and everything and it was awesome. :)
-Joy
May 23, 2016 12:55pm
Thread
That is soooo coooool!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats a first for me!
May 23, 2016 12:59pm
Thread
Now THAT is definitely not geotrash! :D
May 23, 2016 1:05pm
Thread
Very very sweet...now we know what their favorite hobby as a couple is and they sure picked a great one!!
Reply to: #926770 by Neen and Joy
May 23, 2016 1:07pm
Thread
Congratulations. I like this idea! Mine is coming up in September. Maybe I will borrow your idea. I have all summer to find a great place to hide and design and carve the stamp. Exciting!
May 23, 2016 1:31pm
Thread
I remember this story from a while back (apparently ten years now that I looked it up).

I copied the text for the link below since some folks may not be members of the LBSE board so no real reason to click it.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/LETTERBOX-SOUTHEAST/conversations/messages/7275

Well, I've been very quiet on here lately. BUT, I had to share my Valentine's Day with you all. Just keep in mind that my hubby is not the most dedicated to my LBoxing hobby. Anyway, he showed up at my preschool, early, and picked me up. By total surprise of course. He had arranged with my boss for me to leave early. We went to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch, YUM! Then he just started driving. We ended up at the Dunwoody Nature Center and found the 5 boxes there. I can't say that he and I have ever been boxing without the kids! A very different experience. Although, I think he ended up with almost as much green ink as ballfan usually does :) We then found Baron de kalb on our way home. BUT, he took me to Little Mulberry Park in Dacula. We got out and he handed me a clue sheet that he had made up himself. It was great! I followed the clues to the specially planted box. He even carved a stamp to put in it. The big surprise though was my First (and only) Finders prize. A beautiful new ring for my right hand! I was so shocked! He had actually planted the box, with the ring in it, Tuesday morning and just left it there! After that we came home and had dinner with the kids and my mom.

I just wanted to share his sweetness with you all. Thanks for listening.

bzmom
Reply to: #926781 by TEAMV
May 23, 2016 1:43pm
Thread
Ohhh cool! We have decided that we will plant one together every year on our anniversary. :)
May 23, 2016 4:20pm
Thread
Very fun!!
What to Do?
May 23, 2016 6:13pm
Thread
Today I had a find report on a box I planted on 4/17. The finder told me they stumbled on the box while looking for a geocache. This concerned me a bit... I had checked before planting the letterbox and there were no nearby caches, but I checked again just now, and sure enough, a brand new geocache planted 5/17... with this comment in the clues "If your into Letter Boxing, there is also one of these in the area I found while looking for a hiding spot. This would NOT be the cache. :-)"

Bad grammar aside, I'm a little irked that they put a cache here, knowing the letterbox existed. While it is nice that they try to steer people away from the letterbox, I am concerned that the box WILL be found by cachers, and just carelessly tossed aside, rather than rehid well. This is a rather open area with not many good hiding spots, not to mention the traffic that geocaches generate is bound to catch the attention of the nearby neighbors.

What to do? The theme of the box is about a historic landmark and there really is no other place to plant it within view of the area.

On a positive note, the finder was excited to have learned about letterboxing!

SpringChick
Re: What to Do?
Reply to: #926797 by SpringChick
May 23, 2016 6:31pm
Thread
If you are attached to the stamp, I'd pull it. If you would be OK with the possibility of losing it, leave it.
May 23, 2016 6:32pm
Thread
Thank you for sharing our story with the community. It really blew my mind! He wanted to include something we both enjoy doing together that has made our communication skills AMAZING lol. I am so glad he chose to include our favorite hobby! So who else gets to tell their story of getting engaged in a cemetery? Lol
May 23, 2016 6:43pm
Thread
Good question. I've had more of my boxes destroyed by irresponsible geocaching than I care to count out loud (I've been planting since 2001). Here's my knee jerk response, take it for what it is:

'The historic landmark is the theme of the box - and there really is no other place to plant it within view of the area'

Could the box be located a short (or even long) distance away? Can you create clues that would take the finder to the a) historic landmark, have them glean some information found there to decipher the remainder of the clue that takes them to the eventual location of b) the actual box itself, planted well away from that cache, in an otherwise unremarkable area.

Just a thought.
May 23, 2016 7:03pm
Thread
I know the box you are talking about and it really cannot be planted in another area.

I would start by contacting the planter of the geocache, asking them if they would be willing to relocate their cache. I would make them aware that you checked before planting and there were no geocaches in the area and that's why you chose that particular spot. Express your concerns and the history of letterboxes being mistaken for geocaches with the stamp being taken. I think I would approach it in a way that shows that letterboxers and geocachers need to work together to help protect each other's boxes...two good hobbies respecting the other by following some basic courtesies.

Hopefully, they will rectify it.
May 23, 2016 7:06pm
Thread
I had checked before planting the letterbox and there were no nearby caches, but I checked again just now, and sure enough, a brand new geocache planted

I know this isn't any consolation now, but in the future you can prevent this from happening. When you checked the first time to see if there were any geocaches in the area, and there weren't, you could have planted one of your own. That way you claim the area from other geocachers for a distance of something like 500 feet. Just stick a piece of paper that says geocache on it inside a pill box and plant in an easy place to tell geocachers where to go to find it. Then plant the letterbox in the good spot. It does take a little time to sign up on geocaching.com and go thru the hoops of getting the geocache approved, but it's shielding the real deal.

I've done this on several of my letterboxes and wished I'd done it on more.
Reply to: #926807 by Wronghat
May 23, 2016 9:12pm
Thread
When you do this, make sure the geocache is 200 or 300 feet away from where the letterbox is.
Reply to: #926800 by JohnstonSquad
May 23, 2016 9:55pm
Thread
I'm glad you didn't mind my sharing it-it is such a positive and fun story, and I also thought it might even inspire others to do something far out and sneaky! :-)
May 23, 2016 9:59pm
Thread
When you checked the first time to see if there were any geocaches in the area, and there weren't, you could have planted one of your own.

This is good advice. I do both hobbies so I've placed letterboxes in the shadow of existing geocaches, and hidden geocaches to protect letterboxes. If you don't want to hide a geocache yourself then make friends with a geocacher to help protect letterboxes in your area. We don't bite, much. 😂

However, given the current situation you should contact the geocacher who placed the cache near your letterbox. The geocachers around here have been willing to move their geocache when they found that they'd impinged on a letterbox. I don't know about how the geocachers in your area will behave. Again, having a geocaching friend will help with getting a geocacher to move their cache.
May 23, 2016 10:58pm
Thread
First Finder prize? Like, if she hadn't found it, it woulda been available for the next finder?
May 24, 2016 3:50am
Thread
When you checked the first time to see if there were any geocaches in the area, and there weren't, you could have planted one of your own.

Thanks for the suggestion... it is an interesting concept, but it seems somewhat counter-intuitive. Regardless of who owns the geocache, having one planted there is going to bring unwanted traffic to the area surrounding the box, and the potential for people to find the letterbox while looking for the geocache, even if the cache is planted in a place that seems more obvious TO ME.

I can see where this could possibly be useful in an area where the path is linear (i.e. a trail) -- plant the decoy cache closer to the trail or in a place that comes before the box hiding spot, but in this case, there is no trail, rather an open area where a person could logically head several ways -- the box clues guide the finder which way, but giving coordinates for a geocache, really leaves it wide open for a cache-seeker to begin their search in any direction. I suppose one could give a very obvious clue as to where the cache is, but like letterbox comments, I suspect many cachers just grab the coordinates and go, without reading the comments.

SpringChick