Apr 24, 2016 4:47pm
Thread
All carved and ready to plant....
Re: One month to go until PAL day.
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #925110 by Wronghat
Apr 24, 2016 5:03pm
Thread
I already have a box and place in mind. Just need to carve amd hope I can do my subject justice.
Reply to: #925121 by Daytrippers 54
Apr 24, 2016 5:15pm
Thread
3 carved and ready, 1 needing a container, all in need of good hiding spots...
Reply to: #925126 by StampingIsMyForte
Apr 24, 2016 6:17pm
Thread
How odd--usually the good hiding spot is the first thing in my letterboxing planting m.o.?

This might help:
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/location/ky
Reply to: #925130 by Wronghat
Apr 24, 2016 6:23pm
Thread
Well, the first three were sent to me to plant in state and the last was originally carved for an LTC. Thanks for the link!
Reply to: #925131 by StampingIsMyForte
Apr 24, 2016 6:33pm
Thread
My, "How odd" wasn't meant as a judgement--I just thought it was bizarre that people's minds work so differently. Some people are called to letterboxing by the image--"Carve me, Carve me". I'm called by a place. I go by certain places and they call out to me demanding letterboxes--not every hotel, shop or park, mind you, but just certain, unique spots need a letterbox to celebrate their ambiance.
Reply to: #925132 by Wronghat
Apr 24, 2016 6:57pm
Thread
Was't meant as a judgement

I completley understand! :-) I didn't take it that way at all.
I agree, it's very strange how different people think!
Reply to: #925132 by Wronghat
Apr 24, 2016 11:30pm
Thread
I just thought it was bizarre that people's minds work so differently.

I'm often driven by the clue. I have an idea of how I want to present the information and then find a place that works. Like this one, for example:

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?boxId=121375

I had a couple dozen verses printed out that I carried around for six months till I found a location that had the right elements. The last thing is thinking of a stamp image that fits the theme.

K
Reply to: #925149 by Kelsung
Apr 25, 2016 7:00am
Thread
Normally I'd pass on letterboxes with biblical titles--this one will be an exception.
Black carving material
Apr 26, 2016 6:14pm
Thread
I found a box today planted in 2007 by Claudia and Alex. The carving material is black, thin, and very flexible. Anybody know what it might be.
Re: Black carving material
Reply to: #925304 by Baqash
Apr 26, 2016 7:47pm
Thread
The carving material is black, thin, and very flexible. Anybody know what it might be.

Mama Wolf's scraps from carving a flip flop?
Reply to: #925310 by FORAYCH
Apr 26, 2016 8:26pm
Thread
Ar ar Foraych. Too thin
Apr 26, 2016 8:29pm
Thread
I once found a stamp carved into half of a hockey puck. It was black but not exactly thin or flexible.
Apr 26, 2016 9:50pm
Thread
Is it a thin automotive gasket? My other guess would be a magnetic refrigerator magnet - those are tough to carve though ;)
Reply to: #925322 by FORAYCH
Apr 27, 2016 6:45am
Thread
Automotive gasket is a possibility. Good thought Foraych.
Apr 27, 2016 7:07am
Thread
Apr 27, 2016 11:12am
Thread
No idea on the carving material, but thanks for the memories of finding their boxes. Theirs were among the first I found. That being said, nothing I ever found was in black material. Odd.
Apr 27, 2016 12:52pm
Thread
Maybe ask MamaWolf about that, because I have found one of hers that was quite large, on very thin material and flexible material. I don't know what it was, but held great detail. Almost like bike tire tube material.
Reply to: #925322 by FORAYCH
Apr 27, 2016 12:53pm
Thread
I have black plumbing gasket at work. It's perfectly carvable, but dang near impossible to get an image on to.
Reply to: #925337 by Nature Hikers
Apr 27, 2016 1:51pm
Thread
It might be the material in the blog post. Easy cut linoleum. And then with age the lighter carved areas are black from inking.
Replacement stamp: Is that a found or attempt?
Apr 28, 2016 4:33pm
Thread
Found a box today where the stamp went missing for awhile, and then someone threw in a random stamp not related to the theme. The logbook entries over the years tell the story. So... would you log it as a find, log it as an attempt and move on, or log an attempt and removed the box? The planter apparently is not active.

By the way, this is a good reason to make sure your letterbox logbook has a good impression of the stamp in the box, in case this happens. Otherwise people will have no idea they aren't getting the stamp you put in there.
Re: Replacement stamp: Is that a found or attempt?
Reply to: #925426 by Trailhead Tessie
Apr 28, 2016 4:53pm
Thread
this is a good reason to make sure your letterbox logbook has a good impression of the stamp in the box

Another reason is so that finders know which way the image goes... found a stamp recently, have no idea what it is or what the orientation should be... no arrow on the back of the stamp, no image in the logbook... so it is a random, although interesting, stamp image that may or may not be upside down in my logbook.

I agree with you though... I have carved a couple of replacement stamps for abandoned boxes missing their stamps using the image that had been stamped in the front of the logbook.
Apr 28, 2016 5:40pm
Thread
Personally I'd call it a find.
Apr 28, 2016 5:59pm
Thread
and then someone threw in a random stamp

Maybe the someone was the planter.
Apr 28, 2016 6:17pm
Thread
I wouldn't call it a find, but what do I know?
Reply to: #925436 by SherlockMiles
Apr 28, 2016 7:25pm
Thread
I would call it a find. There is a box, a stamp (related to the theme or not), a log book. It's still a letterbox. I have found boxes where the original stamp seemed pretty random.
Reply to: #925454 by Boxer Lover47
Apr 28, 2016 7:34pm
Thread
I found one the other day that should have been a soldier but the stamp was an open letterbox
Reply to: #925441 by Wronghat
Apr 28, 2016 7:46pm
Thread
Maybe the someone was the planter.

I don't think so. It was nothing like the originally in design or style. I know there are finders who carry stamps around and throw them into boxes that have lost their stamp. I had a report of my box found all ripped apart and the stamp missing and the finder said she reassembled the box and put a new stamp in. I retired the box. I've checked on old boxes that I've found previously and discovered people had carved new stamps for the box that were nothing like the original, and it wasn't the planter.
Reply to: #925457 by Trailhead Tessie
Apr 28, 2016 7:58pm
Thread
Or maybe the original planter didn't want to recarve the original but did want finders to have something so just stuck a lesser work in as a replacement. Who knows?
Apr 28, 2016 8:41pm
Thread
If you're pretty sure it's not the original stamp, you could log the box as an attempt, but create a listing for the current stamp. I forgot the word for these, but know someone/s will supply it.