Skip to Content
Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Can anyone use transparencies for image transfers or LTCs?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #924830 by Penfeather
Apr 20, 2016 7:35am
Thread
I'm jealous! Transparencies seem to be hard to get.

I used these on my glasswing butterfly:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00MEY6GEO/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I liked that you could emboss on them because they are heat-resistant, although I didn't end up doing that. The cheapest price is an "add on" item, so you'd need to be ordering other stuff to get that price.
Re: Looking for quality photo of Safari Man (Glenn)
Reply to: #924799 by Capt Kirk
Apr 21, 2016 12:48am
Thread
This is a great thing I stumbled upon looking for event photos with Safari Man.....

http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.html?gAlbumId=677

-Amanda from Seattle
Re: Looking for quality photo of Safari Man (Glenn)
Reply to: #924861 by Amanda from Seattle
Apr 21, 2016 12:53am
Thread
Thanks for sharing this, brought back some smiles.
First Finds and other delights...
Apr 21, 2016 1:15pm
One of the best things about living and boxing in SE Ohio is the lack of people.

It's not all that hard to be the first finder of a box since there's not a lot of traffic through this quarter of the state.

One of the worst things about living and boxing in SE Ohio is the lack of people.

Very few come down here from the big city and even fewer hunt for boxes. As a result, boxes go untouched for months if not years at a time. Trees fall over, land-owners change trails, markers, landmarks, etc.

A shout out to Triviadaddy of J Walkers of S.Carolina for coming through recently and attempting 7 boxes! I should have urged him to go for 3 more Who Goes There (3) by cameracarrie in the Forked Run State Park, which would have been easily claimed on the way home before picking up an expressway! As it was, I GOT FIRST FINDERS on this hand-carved set of three!
Maps!
Apr 21, 2016 7:16pm
Thread
Hey! I'm loving the maps on my profile that have automatically been generated by AQ that show the states where I've planted letterboxes and found letterboxes. I'm thinking these maps are a fairly new addition to profiles? Thanks!
Re: Maps!
Reply to: #924911 by Angel Winks
Apr 21, 2016 7:21pm
Thread
Wow those look great! Now I'll have to go through my logbook and remove the finds for boxes that moved :P
Reply to: #924912 by Aiphid
Apr 21, 2016 7:26pm
Thread
Now I'll have to go through my logbook and remove the finds for boxes that moved

Or maybe add an option to exclude particular boxes from the map count? That might be a more elegant alternative to removing finds.
Apr 21, 2016 7:33pm
Thread
I'm going to assume this is a premium member perk.

You may have finally found the right bait, Ryan :)

K
Apr 21, 2016 7:57pm
Thread
LOVE IT! Thanks, Ryan!
Apr 21, 2016 8:02pm
Thread
Woo! Thanks! :D
Apr 21, 2016 8:12pm
Thread
There's always got to be one little snag. I'm proud to say I've letterboxed in 23 states, and that map is mostly accurate, but nope. No West Virginia for me.

So cool though!
Apr 21, 2016 8:13pm
Thread
I've never been to Maine or North Carolina, but my finds say I do!
Reply to: #924917 by Kelsung
Apr 21, 2016 8:13pm
Thread
You may have finally found the right bait, Ryan :)

Wow--that might be the best compliment I've ever gotten! =)

I posted more information to the official AQ blog Major Profile Update.

It is, indeed, a premium member perk. But lest non-premium members think there's nothing for them, it's still possible to show maps through other websites like people have been doing for years. And everyone can edit profiles of their sub-accounts directly from their primary account now which is also new.

-- Ryan
Apr 21, 2016 8:16pm
Thread
But, but, but... I just spent a whole day at work writing SAS code to create a map for my profile. Well, at least these are easier for me to maintain. Thanks, Ryan, they look great!
Apr 21, 2016 8:16pm
Thread
Now I'll have to go through my logbook and remove the finds for boxes that moved

You can also just add a custom location to those boxes. AQ will use the state of your custom locations if there is one. One of the reasons I wanted to limit the maps to premium members only--custom locations are also a premium member perk, so premium members can fix problems like that. =)

That applies to mystery boxes as well--if you've recorded finds on mystery boxes, adding a custom location with the state will make sure it's counted towards the correct state. (Assuming the mystery is somewhere larger than "somewhere in the state.")

-- Ryan
Apr 21, 2016 8:32pm
Thread
This is a fun perk, Ryan, thanks!
(although mine is messed up on the states I've boxed in because I have found many 'box of the month' and event boxes that are now planted as traditionals in other states, but I still love this feature!)
Reply to: #924926 by Green Tortuga
Apr 21, 2016 11:21pm
Thread
That applies to mystery boxes as well--if you've recorded finds on mystery boxes, adding a custom location with the state will make sure it's counted towards the correct state.

You can also use this as a "cheat" in cases where the only box you've found in a certain state is unlisted/LBNA. Just modify some random bonus box with a custom location for your missing state and your map will be more accurate.

(Of course the very desire to have everything accurate might make it difficult to sacrifice the geographic integrity of a mystery/bonus box for the sake of having a more accurate map.)
Reply to: #924933 by Nature Hikers
Apr 21, 2016 11:35pm
Thread
Just modify some random bonus box with a custom location for your missing state and your map will be more accurate.

While this is true, I better not start getting emails from you about boxes with "incorrect locations" because you've forgotten that you've done that to them years from now. ;o)

-- Ryan
Apr 22, 2016 3:44am
Thread
Thanks so much for this feature and for taking the time to code this for us. Now to plan a letterboxing trip to a few more states...
Apr 22, 2016 3:46am
Thread
Looks great, thanks Ryan.
Apr 22, 2016 4:24am
Thread
Ah ha, tres smart!
Apr 22, 2016 5:06am
Thread
Wake up to earth day and discovered this nice new pm perk! Nice job GT, thanks for the ongoing fun!
Apr 22, 2016 5:22am
Thread
That is exactly what I did, Ryan, last week, for some random reason. I just wanted my AQ record to match my actual record. And, now, I have the maps to back it up! Thank you, again.
Reply to: #924923 by FloridaFour
Apr 22, 2016 7:15am
Thread
I've never been to Maine or North Carolina, but my finds say I do!

But I swear that I met you at a boxing event in NC...Am I wrong?

Edited to say - Never mind, it was SC.
Apr 22, 2016 8:01am
Thread
I love, love, love the maps! Thank you! I was even able to do the custom location thing for one box that was listed in a state where I haven't been boxing.

Now I need to visit some more states so I can color in some more of my map!
Reply to: #924973 by ArnoldZiffel
Apr 22, 2016 1:55pm
Thread
Now I need to visit some more states so I can color in some more of my map!

Great! Another thing for people to get neurotic about!
Apr 22, 2016 2:45pm
Thread
Just wanted to add my thanks to Ryan for this additional perk. It really is AWESOME. I had two states listed that I haven't boxed in. One state was due to a local boxer moving and taking all his boxes with him to the new state. That was easy just to change the dozen or so. The other one isn't quite as easy. I attended WDSTF event in Colorado. All those boxes are listed in North Carolina--around 125 boxes. Is there anyway to change all of them at once? If so that would be great. If not, at least I know why that state shows up. Again, thanks for a wonderful website.
Apr 22, 2016 3:00pm
Thread
Are the maps ever going to reflect unlisted finds? My old unlisted finds in Texas are not reflected. Can you have the maps reflect unlisted finds?

I might make use of the opt out feature and just keep the map I already have. I really love having those old Texas finds on there.
Reply to: #924997 by shutterbug2012
Apr 22, 2016 3:29pm
Thread
The WDSTF boxes are easy to update- maybe 5 series? I found them in Indiana and it didn't take too much effort to change each series.
Reply to: #925001 by speedsquare
Apr 22, 2016 4:01pm
Thread
Thanks--that was easy. Just my CRS took over what was left of my brain.