Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Can anyone use transparencies for image transfers or LTCs?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #924488 by dingus dufus
Apr 15, 2016 8:21am
Thread
Could they be used to create animation cels?

I don't know, but I'm thinking of taping a bunch of 'em together to use as a shower curtain. Or maybe I can cut a hole in my roof and make a skylight. The possibilities are endless...especially when I have hundreds of sheets!! ;^)
Reply to: #924489 by Rocklun
Apr 15, 2016 8:44am
Thread
Honestly, I don't know what to do with them all. I'm probably going to toss most of them.
Reply to: #924488 by dingus dufus
Apr 15, 2016 8:47am
Thread
Could they be used to create animation cels?

Like this?
Apr 15, 2016 9:19am
Thread
You obviously need to test out every possible application for these and report back!
Reply to: #924497 by RideTheMoose
Apr 15, 2016 9:34am
Thread
Flower craft I will say she takes forever to explain her technique so you may want to speed up the playback using the Settings gearwheel.
Enjoy
CTEE
Reply to: #924494 by Rocklun
Apr 15, 2016 10:00am
Thread
Maybe check with a local school and/or library for takers?
Reply to: #924495 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 15, 2016 10:14am
Thread
Yup! Cool video, thanks!
Apr 15, 2016 10:22am
Thread
I don't know, but I'm thinking of taping a bunch of 'em together to use as a shower curtain. Or maybe I can cut a hole in my roof and make a skylight. The possibilities are endless

;)

But it's nice to know that some boxers out there really give a sheet!
Reply to: #924500 by Team Awesome Pants
Apr 15, 2016 12:09pm
Thread
Maybe the school's art teacher could use them. Art teachers save everything.
Reply to: #924512 by zinni
Apr 15, 2016 1:29pm
Thread
"Maybe the school's art teacher could use them. Art teachers save everything"

got me thinking ...

I could probably make very lightweight 'stained glass' shades for my front windows ....

Our windows face the woods and/or reservoir on three sides of the house - only if you look out the front windows do you see the road and one other house.

I've jokingly said that if I had the money, I'd install stained glass windows in the front of the house so we could really feel away from it all.

Hmm .... what would I use to make the different colors? Sharpies?

Warrior Woman
ever thoughtful
Re: Tutorial on Making Letterbox Pouch (Safari Man's Pics)
Reply to: #924427 by Capt Kirk
Apr 15, 2016 3:48pm
Thread
Here is a photo that should cover the best type of pouch for you.
Re: Renewing or Resurrecting "Retired" or "Inactive" Letterboxes
Reply to: #924464 by Kirbert
Apr 15, 2016 5:54pm
Thread
I don't disagree, but that seems like a lot of trouble to go to...to dig up the old image...to print it off, to research it.
I lean more toward copying the old direction or clue and amending or appending with a notation crediting the original.

But I'd like to hear more thoughts on this.
Reply to: #924537 by Capt Kirk
Apr 15, 2016 6:23pm
Thread
You are going to ruffle some feathers if you copy another clues without permission, retired or not. Spend a little time creating your original.
Reply to: #924525 by Warrior Woman
Apr 15, 2016 7:06pm
Thread
Could you paint them with glass paint? You know the kind you use to make "faux" stained glass.
Reply to: #924464 by Kirbert
Apr 15, 2016 8:46pm
Thread
I once found a box -- one of a series -- that was planted in the exact same cubby hole where a previous box had gone missing years before. It wasn't somebody trying to make a tribute, it was just great minds thinking alike.

And then there are those times when three different boxers all plant at the same boulder within two feet of each other, each apparently unaware of the other two boxes. Four boxes if you count the one ten feet away.

Don't overthink the hiding spot. If nothing is there, you can use it. Doesn't matter if something used to be there or not. No need to reference previous boxes or copy their clues. Why bother? If the box is gone, it's gone, let it rest in peace and move on to something new.
Reply to: #924548 by Trailhead Tessie
Apr 16, 2016 2:28am
Thread
And then there are those times when three different boxers all plant at the same boulder within two feet of each other, each apparently unaware of the other two boxes. Four boxes if you count the one ten feet away.

That's a problem in CT. ;-)
Reply to: #924557 by roo
Apr 16, 2016 3:46am
Thread
((Thats a problem in CT))

Just experienced that in Mystic! Found a perfect place for a plant, dug down in pine needles with my trusty back scratcher and heard the familiar sound of wood on plastic! May have been a mystery box , however not searching for it. The box was called "melon head" a baby beluga whale I believe if anyone familiar with the area. The third time we have found unlisted boxes by accident, not complaining just a fact.
Reply to: #924558 by Daytrippers 54
Apr 16, 2016 3:58am
Thread
trusty back scratcher

Who'd a guessed. All mine does is sit on my dresser. It's going into my lb bag now.
Event Stamp and Boxes
Apr 16, 2016 5:02am
Thread
What is the general consensus on listing an event stamp (the main event stamp)? Do these get listed as an Event Box? Other? And boxes planted (on trail, with clues) at an event? even if they are temporary? Are these Event Boxes (does this count in finder's F count?) or are these just traditional boxes? Thanks!

SpringChick
Re: Event Stamp and Boxes
Reply to: #924563 by SpringChick
Apr 16, 2016 5:10am
Thread
The event stamp is an event box. Everything that's planted on the trails and has clues is a traditional box, temporary or not.
Apr 16, 2016 7:14am
Thread
For me, I focus on my definition of a letterbox. Did I follow clues to find a box? If so, it is a traditional box. If it is sitting on a table, it is an event box. There are some gray areas but perhaps those need clarification in the definition of "clue."
Reply to: #924400 by Rocklun
Apr 16, 2016 10:34am
Thread
I think I replied to everyone who contacted me privately, but if not, please let me know. Thanks.
Reply to: #924595 by Rocklun
Apr 16, 2016 11:11am
Thread
I think I replied to everyone who contacted me privately

What's all this about transparency if you are all contacting each other privately?
Reply to: #924597 by Miss Emily Litella
Apr 16, 2016 11:14am
Thread
Emily . . . Emily, they're talking about transparencies - see through sheets of plastic that you can write on with special markers. A letterboxer has a bunch of them to share. No one is being secret about this.
Reply to: #924599 by Chevy Chase
Apr 16, 2016 11:15am
Thread
Oh that is something entirely different

. . . . . never mind.
Apr 16, 2016 4:52pm
Thread
Boxes planted on the trail at an event that we follow clues to find are listed as traditional boxes. The stamp that represents the event is listed as an event box. The fact that the ones on the trail may be temporary is not a factor.

I wouldn't call this a consensus. I'd call it standard practice.
Un named letterboxes in Pascoag, RI 02859
Apr 17, 2016 9:15am
Thread
While geocaching in the Pulaski State Park region in NE RI we came across two un-named letterboxes along the trails. Both had stamps wrapped in cloth, but no ink pad or logbook. Nice stamps: one was a CAT wearing a Statue of Liberty costume (Liberty Cat?) and the other was a small Rabbit. Both were in small lock&locks and listed Atlasquest.com but no other info. Anyone knows about these?
dextere
edexter
Modifying a LTRB site map
Apr 17, 2016 11:15am
Thread
I find when I create a listing for a new letterbox, there's a target or pushpin that located in the map wherever the location specified is. That is, the pushpin falls in the geographic center of the town, but not necessarily in the location of the letterbox.

I wish there was a way to click and drag on that pushpin to re-position it to the correct spot on the map for the letterbox. Seems like it would speed up the process of searching for so many future boxers.
Re: Modifying a LTRB site map
Reply to: #924661 by Capt Kirk
Apr 17, 2016 11:39am
Thread
You just need to give a more specific location than just the town: a street address, a park name, etc. Even without doing that, when setting the location you can customize the exact GPS coordinates if you like.

Edit your box, go to the "location" page, and check out your options.

K
Re: Un named letterboxes in Pascoag, RI 02859
Reply to: #924655 by edexter
Apr 17, 2016 12:47pm
Thread
While geocaching in the Pulaski State Park region in NE RI we came across two un-named letterboxes along the trails. Both had stamps wrapped in cloth, but no ink pad or logbook. Nice stamps: one was a CAT wearing a Statue of Liberty costume (Liberty Cat?) and the other was a small Rabbit. Both were in small lock&locks and listed Atlasquest.com but no other info. Anyone knows about these?

Letterboxes that are part of a series may only contain the stamp (no logbook). The first is most probably Rat-A-Tat Cat, box #2 in the Games Geeks Play series. I am not sure about the rabbit, but it is most likely a box in a series.