A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Alternative Mapping
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #924284 by Squatchis
Apr 12, 2016 6:35pm
Thread
Love this! I will settle for just shading in the State, but mapping each and every box is really great use of technology. Thanks for sharing.
Reply to: #924280 by Squatchis
Apr 12, 2016 7:00pm
Thread
Here is what I use:

March 2016 Map
Reply to: #924293 by PI Joe
Apr 12, 2016 7:48pm
Thread
Oh, that one is nice too... I really like that you can actually see all the different counties.

SpringChick
Apr 12, 2016 8:33pm
Thread
Joe, how did you make yours?
Apr 12, 2016 9:44pm
Thread
this one is great too!
Apr 13, 2016 2:33am
Thread
I like the county maps.
Do the colors mean anything?
Here's mine
Reply to: #924314 by Squatchis
Apr 13, 2016 6:26am
Thread
Where did you get the county map and how do you update it?
Reply to: #924321 by Sudoku Crazy
Apr 13, 2016 8:51am
Thread
I outline the process here

It's not automated by any means. But well worth it.
Reply to: #924305 by Sunia
Apr 13, 2016 9:04am
Thread
Joe, how did you make yours?

The original map comes from the Census Bureau. I use MS Paint to fill in the counties as I box and cache. Red for geocahces, blue for letterboxes, and purple for both. You have to save the resulting colored version as a JPG image in order to upload it to AQ. I have added it to my AQ profile.
Reply to: #924314 by Squatchis
Apr 13, 2016 9:06am
Thread
Do the colors mean anything?

Red for geocaching, blue for letterboxing, purple for both. I do like your use of colors, it that for calendar years the boxes were found?
Reply to: #924331 by PI Joe
Apr 13, 2016 9:08am
Thread
I do like your use of colors, it that for calendar years the boxes were found?

I meant the colored pins on the Google map.
Reply to: #924332 by PI Joe
Apr 13, 2016 9:14am
Thread
Yes the Google map is by year, county map on density.
Reply to: #924334 by Squatchis
Apr 13, 2016 1:46pm
Thread
I'm all signed up with an account, but I can't get it to change colors even after adding a legend. What am I doing wrong?
Reply to: #924358 by Sudoku Crazy
Apr 13, 2016 1:54pm
Thread
Without knowing what exactly you're doing it's hard to say.

Assuming you have an account, have made your desired legend.
Then go to each individual state from the drop down menu in the top right and mark your travels as desired. Makes sure you save or update.

It does take up to an hour before the site updates changes, so you won't see any changes on the national map until then.
Reply to: #924359 by Squatchis
Apr 13, 2016 1:58pm
Thread
I just couldn't get the colors to change. Logging out and back in seems to have worked!
Passage of Time
Apr 13, 2016 2:01pm
Thread
Hello friends,

An out of state letterboxer wrote to ask if any of my old boxes were easy and active.
after 5 years, I didn't know, but I checked on one from Safari Man, and discovered that he had passed.

I am so sad. I will attempt to restore his boxes (Smallest Church near Coolville) for the visitor this weekend, but I am sad that so many of our boxes have fallen into disrepair. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do about this?

Just wanted to say "Hi" again.
Reply to: #924329 by Squatchis
Apr 13, 2016 2:39pm
Thread
Can you get the data bu exporting it? And how many boxes can you export at a time
Re: Passage of Time
Reply to: #924361 by Capt Kirk
Apr 13, 2016 2:54pm
Thread
Just wanted to say "Hi" again.

Hey!!!! Welcome back!!!

Despite any hopes you may have harbored to the contrary.... I'm still here!

But really, it's good to see you pop up again!
Reply to: #924363 by wassamatta u
Apr 13, 2016 3:09pm
Thread
Wassamatta U!

I remember that name!

How do you feel about me dusting of one or two of Safari Man's box locations to restore only the easiest of letterboxes for those passing through our area? Is this an acceptable practice? I don't carve well, so they'd have to be store-stamps and store-bought log books, but I'd like a few to remain active.

PS: I'm in SE Ohio, and these would be in the local town, or along a major transportation route.

-Kirk
Reply to: #924364 by Capt Kirk
Apr 13, 2016 4:05pm
Thread
I don't know Safari Man, but if you wanted help carving for tribute boxes I would be willing to help.

You can't really replace a box that has lost a stamp. If there is no stamp left, I don't think anyone would mind you doing a tribute in the same location as a retired box though.
Reply to: #924364 by Capt Kirk
Apr 13, 2016 4:06pm
Thread
You might try contacting granny butterfly before you do anything. I think she is caretaking many of Safari Man's boxes.

In the meanwhile, why not check up on all your plants, make repairs and update the status on them, so the curious out-of-staters have a reason to return?
Reply to: #924369 by speedsquare
Apr 13, 2016 5:51pm
Thread
You might try contacting granny butterfly before you do anything. I think she is caretaking many of Safari Man's boxes.

Yep! Granny Butterfly is Safari Man's sister, and she has inherited his boxes. Tributes and maintenance are always welcome things, but best to check with the owner when doing major overhauls/replacements.
Reply to: #924376 by wassamatta u
Apr 13, 2016 5:54pm
Thread
I'm pretty sure Okie Dog is Safari Man's sister. Maybe Granny Butterfly is too?
Reply to: #924378 by Boxer Lover47
Apr 13, 2016 6:07pm
Thread
I saw Granny Butterfly listed as the originator of this particular box, and time is so short... if I am to place anything at the location for the out-of-towners who are coming to visit relatives nearby. There is NOTHING left in the location of the letterbox but a pile of brokendown stones. They could be restacked and something "hidden" beneath the topmost stone, to satisfy the printed instructions of the clue. But I don't recall the image of the original stamp and have no desire to take over Safari Man's possessions or boxes. I was only asked about that one location as being easily accessed, and it was one of my first discoveries...and so, in his memory, I want to place something there for the pleasure of another boxer.

I think the listing says the box was "retired" (as was Safari Man "retired")... so I'm not sure how or why the out-of-towners came up with this one. Except I think it's the most accessible to anyone passing by.

**7 Years ago, my son and I stopped at the location and while we were there, someone else was messing with the location of the letterbox. My kids noted it and started to poke about, but I stopped them. 12 months later, we started getting into letterboxing, and I realized that we had seen a "Boxer" uncovering and recovering the pouch with the stamp and all... and that I had denied my kids getting into letterboxing by a year, telling them to leave it alone.
Reply to: #924367 by LROSEM
Apr 13, 2016 6:10pm
Thread
Unfortunately, there's no letterbox left there. There's a pile of flat stones that once were stacked to hide the box, but I only know that from memory. The adjacent parking lot has been used as a staging location for the construction of an injection well, and a cell phone tower...so there's no stamp, log book or anything else to repair. That's why I was thinking of just buying a quick stamp and logbook to "hide" there for the imminent arrival of the out-of-town guests.
Reply to: #924378 by Boxer Lover47
Apr 13, 2016 6:12pm
Thread
I'm pretty sure Okie Dog is Safari Man's sister.

Oh, gosh, yes, you are right! I got confused there, and my profound apologies to those involved!!
Reply to: #924362 by Baqash
Apr 13, 2016 6:20pm
Thread
I don't follow.

I can export all the data point from the Google map onto a specific type of file which preserves whatever data you give it and GPS location.

The county map is pretty non exportable besides the maps as far as I'm aware
Reply to: #924363 by wassamatta u
Apr 13, 2016 6:29pm
Thread
It's funny, cause I remember SOME of the names of people who have responded to this thread, but most I cannot place...or don't remember the personality behind the "handle" or "trail name". So help me out... Is wassamatta u the sysop? Or was that Green Tortuga? Or are they the same person?

My memory has faded, and I apologize, but that's a problem with getting older. I turned 60 and just don't remember relationships I had any more.
Reply to: #924385 by Squatchis
Apr 13, 2016 6:41pm
Thread
I was asking if you can export the location data from AQ or if you retyped everything
Reply to: #924387 by Baqash
Apr 13, 2016 6:47pm
Thread
Retyped everything. I have my own digital log book which I maintain.

Typical logging is as follows.
Log on Aq/lbna
Place pin on map (at as exact a location I can manage)
Determine country based off Google maps if in doubt
Log digital log.
Update county map as needed.