Apr 8, 2016 6:01am
Thread
This is definitely me!
Re: Fellow non/beginner carvers!
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #923883 by crosscresent
Apr 8, 2016 12:29pm
Thread
Wonderful! Do you think you will plant them soon? Or are you keeping them for your own use? Just wondering, I'm new at this too and took me a while to part with my artistic creations but now that I did I'm excited to share with future finders!
Re: Fellow non/beginner carvers!
Reply to: #923833 by dingus dufus
Apr 8, 2016 12:34pm
Thread
Interested!
Re: Staedtler Carving Set
Reply to: #923767 by Elle
Apr 8, 2016 12:43pm
Thread
Don't listen to anyone. Wait for the antiques roadshow to come through.
Re: Staedtler Carving Set
Reply to: #923767 by Elle
Apr 8, 2016 1:35pm
Thread
Wow, good going Ele! Looking forward to finding more of your boxes! ;-)
Re: Old logbooks
Reply to: #923959 by Early Risers
Apr 9, 2016 1:50pm
Thread
To my mind, the three ways of leaving notes are to three different audiences. The public online log is to others who may decide to hunt this box in the future. The private online comment is to the box planter and owner. And notes in the physical log book in the box are to the people who find the box after me. That may not be the original intent when letterboxing first started out, but it's the scheme that makes the most sense to me now -- especially as I, myself, often plant letterboxes that I have little hope of ever revisiting. Even the boxes I've planted locally are lucky to get revisited once a year, so if you want me to get your message in a timely manner the online log is a better idea.

I also confess that, when logging a find, I often resort to the old adage "If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all." Let's face it, not all boxes are pearls, and sometimes I'm so disappointed I have to bite my tongue.
Reply to: #923960 by Kirbert
Apr 9, 2016 5:02pm
Thread
Like Mom says, "Just say, 'Thank you.' and then, be quiet. haha
Apr 9, 2016 5:35pm
Thread
Well said. I have to share one of my 'favorite' comments that I often find in a physical logbook - "logbook wet." I often wonder who the intended audience for this comment is, as anyone who subsequently finds the box will also recognize the amount of moisture therein, yet I find this written quite often, especially as I attempt to rehabilitate older abandoned boxes.

Don't even get me started on "logbook full..."

:)
SOHT!!
Apr 9, 2016 6:37pm
Thread
We realized SOHT is only 6 months away?? This year's theme is:THE TWILIGHT ZONE & we are looking for stamps that might be from the TV show or what might have been 1 of the shows?! We will return your stamp or hide it here in Ohio whichever you prefer. Thanks in advance for any help with stamps!
Reply to: #923969 by Nairon
Apr 9, 2016 6:38pm
Thread
I often find in a physical logbook - "logbook wet." I often wonder who the intended audience for this comment is

What? I'm not allowed to sign logbooks anymore? Sheesh. *shaking head*

Just because I don't log my finds online doesn't mean they aren't real finds!!!!!!!

-- Logbook Wet
Re: SOHT!!
Reply to: #923976 by R gang
Apr 9, 2016 7:18pm
Thread
This is awesome! I'm in for carving one or two! But now I need to start watching those old shows again first....hope they are on netflix!! Looking forward to my first SOHT!
Reply to: #923300 by Green Tortuga
Apr 9, 2016 7:25pm
Thread
I have a Dia De Los Muertos box, and I asked people to write messages about or to their lost loved ones. I need to go check the box and see if anyone ever did. :-)
Apr 9, 2016 8:39pm
Thread
And notes in the physical log book in the box are to the people who find the box after me. That may not be the original intent when letterboxing first started out, but it's the scheme that makes the most sense to me now

I don't think there was any original intent on these matters cuz that implies an original agent, and I don't think there was such. I think it was more evolutionary. That said, it dismays me when I see an online comment like "the bonus box was a nice surprise" and so forth. Nice surprise for you, maybe, but you just spoiled the surprise for everyone else. (I do know that there was original agency in intending that bonus boxes actually be surprises (google "bonus definition"; ignore the definition related to salary and wages), whatever the word "surprise" means in modern letterboxing).

Of course, I can choose not to read the online comments, as I do, (except of course when researching and writing "novel length posts intended to impress", like this one, as one of my detractors puts it (tho all I am actually doing is writing my opinions on the game and its evolution as I feel about it, stream of consciousness style (cuz that's how I write), and nothing more (awesome band, BTW, download the sound))), tho it would be nice if AQ had a "hide online comments" profile option to make this less awkward. Maybe it does and I just don't know about it.

(((you can tell I'm an ex programmer, cuz I got all them parens to match, put most of the commas in the right places, and I even managed to parse most of that cruft, well, sort of)))

As for comments in the physical logbook, I imagine "logbook is wet" is a bit more constructive than "logbook is missing" :)
Reply to: #923983 by Sir Braemoor
Apr 10, 2016 3:17am
Thread
...it dismays me when I see an online comment like "the bonus box was a nice surprise" and so forth. Nice surprise for you, maybe, but you just spoiled the surprise for everyone else.

Doesn't dismay me. That comment is deleted -- along with the ones that say "Dropped off a HH."
Reply to: #923221 by Rocklun
Apr 10, 2016 9:29am
Thread
It was a spiral-bound book of 5" x 3.5" index cards, and the container was some old white Rubbermaid type of thing.

What was once considered the State Of The Art lgbk for this hobby had its definite advantages. One of which was being able to separate the thicker index card pages of even the most waterlogged lgbk. However, over half of its pages may be illegible due to the excessive bleeding of dye-based imprints. Whereas, all the pigment imprints will look even sharper and more vibrant on the wet pages.
http://www.atlasquest.com/tutorials/stamping/ink-pads/

Thanks to the worthwhile efforts of Rocklun (and others) letterboxes and its contents, having seen better days, can often be restored and replaced in a new watertight container for others to enjoy the trek to find. Thankfully, there are a few like Rocklun that enjoy the challenge of restoring a worthy letterbox and its contents that others may view as an inconvenience not worth the effort.
Reply to: #924007 by Frenchie
Apr 10, 2016 12:39pm
Thread
...over half of its pages may be illegible due to the excessive bleeding of dye-based imprints. Whereas, all the pigment imprints will look even sharper and more vibrant on the wet pages.

I'm not convinced this is a dye vs. pigment thing. There are dye inks that are waterproof, and there are dye inks that are "washable". And the pigment ink that I use, Brilliance, has not proven to be all that waterproof; it tends to blur when wet.
Alternative Mapping
Apr 12, 2016 5:08pm
Thread
Since it seems to come up about once a month about "how to get that map of the states I've boxed in", I thought I would share one of the other ways I log my finds.

Google Maps

If I remember correctly, Kelsung has one of these. Anyone else?

Squatchis
Re: Alternative Mapping
Reply to: #924280 by Squatchis
Apr 12, 2016 5:14pm
Thread
That's gorgeous. How'd you do that?
Reply to: #924281 by Wronghat
Apr 12, 2016 5:32pm
Thread
If you have a Google account you can go to Google maps. Under one of the menus (I believe it's under/by the search bar) will be a "my maps" section.

Then you can make your maps create unique layers, pins, etc.

Also there are useful mapping tools that could be quite handy for certain situations.

One caveat on the whole layers of pins thing. You are typically limited to only three (i think this might be old info). I took advantage of a student package while I could and am capped out at 8. But one can find ways to work around this issue.
Reply to: #924284 by Squatchis
Apr 12, 2016 6:35pm
Thread
Love this! I will settle for just shading in the State, but mapping each and every box is really great use of technology. Thanks for sharing.
Reply to: #924280 by Squatchis
Apr 12, 2016 7:00pm
Thread
Here is what I use:

March 2016 Map
Reply to: #924293 by PI Joe
Apr 12, 2016 7:48pm
Thread
Oh, that one is nice too... I really like that you can actually see all the different counties.

SpringChick
Apr 12, 2016 8:33pm
Thread
Joe, how did you make yours?
Apr 12, 2016 9:44pm
Thread
this one is great too!
Apr 13, 2016 2:33am
Thread
I like the county maps.
Do the colors mean anything?
Here's mine
Reply to: #924314 by Squatchis
Apr 13, 2016 6:26am
Thread
Where did you get the county map and how do you update it?
Reply to: #924321 by Sudoku Crazy
Apr 13, 2016 8:51am
Thread
I outline the process here

It's not automated by any means. But well worth it.
Reply to: #924305 by Sunia
Apr 13, 2016 9:04am
Thread
Joe, how did you make yours?

The original map comes from the Census Bureau. I use MS Paint to fill in the counties as I box and cache. Red for geocahces, blue for letterboxes, and purple for both. You have to save the resulting colored version as a JPG image in order to upload it to AQ. I have added it to my AQ profile.
Reply to: #924314 by Squatchis
Apr 13, 2016 9:06am
Thread
Do the colors mean anything?

Red for geocaching, blue for letterboxing, purple for both. I do like your use of colors, it that for calendar years the boxes were found?
Reply to: #924331 by PI Joe
Apr 13, 2016 9:08am
Thread
I do like your use of colors, it that for calendar years the boxes were found?

I meant the colored pins on the Google map.