Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Help! Kind of a nutty question....kind of.
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #923053 by Rocklun
Mar 26, 2016 5:22pm
Thread
and the other on the horn.

Nah, we really don't use the horns up here in traffic . . . .or the turn signal.
Reply to: #923054 by dingus dufus
Mar 26, 2016 5:39pm
Thread
Nah, we really don't use the horns up here in traffic . . . .or the turn signal.

The first time my husband went to Ohio, he was shocked that people slowed way down to let him merge on the highway. I think they may have even waved without extending their middle finger!! Clearly, he was no longer in the Boston area.
Mar 26, 2016 10:32pm
Thread
And, just out of curiosity, what do Bostonians have against a grid?
Box of the Week
Mar 27, 2016 4:58am
Thread
Congrats Teacup !! That is a great series in a beautiful area which we just recently found, well deserved.
Re: Box of the Week
Reply to: #923070 by Daytrippers 54
Mar 27, 2016 5:03am
Thread
Such a surprise. It is on my list to get maintenance so now I had really better get to it. Thank you for seeking it out!
Reply to: #923064 by Angel and Demon
Mar 27, 2016 7:15am
Thread
And, just out of curiosity, what do Bostonians have against a grid?

I had no idea what a grid was until I went to NYC! Boston is more of a poorly-constructed spiderweb.
Re: PAL Day
Reply to: #922922 by Wronghat
Mar 27, 2016 7:39am
Thread
Is "joining" just as simple as signing up and planting a new box on that day? That sounds fun. But because I am commitment-averse, I want to make sure that's all I'm signing up for, lest I let people down and the world crumbles down around me. Because anxiety and narcissism.
Reply to: #923071 by Teacup
Mar 27, 2016 7:54am
Thread
Congrats Teacup!! :)
Reply to: #923076 by Rocklun
Mar 27, 2016 9:57am
Thread
Boston is more of a poorly-constructed spiderweb.

All the better to ensnare unsuspecting tourists!
Mar 27, 2016 10:07am
Thread
Many years ago, SWMBO and I were on a bicycling trip approaching Boston from the SE, headed for Salem. I showed SWMBO the map with the great big yellow blotch of Boston on it, and asked if she'd rather ride through the city or go around it. Such decisions are rather important on a bicycle, as we're talking adding significant miles to our ride that day. She looked at the map and said "Let's go the short way through Boston." I learned later -- about an hour later -- that she had been harboring some naive notion about Boston being a lovely little New England village where the Founding Fathers had tossed some tea in the harbor. As we rode our bikes over the harbor and paused to contemplate that event in American history, she told me that if we ever had a similar choice of going through or around a city, please remind her of Boston.
Reply to: #923077 by General Word Nerd
Mar 27, 2016 10:50am
Thread
Yes... it basically says you will try to plant a box for PAL day... no boxers have ever been strung up on a fence for not planting... but it does give folks a deadline to maybe get something planted... if you need help... I have 8 sitting in the back seat of my car ready to plant :) LOL
Reply to: #923064 by Angel and Demon
Mar 27, 2016 11:45am
Thread
what do Bostonians have against a grid?

I have been told, although I don't know how accurate it is, that many of the main roads in boston started out as cow paths, and that is why they meander so much.

As for the traffic - I never noticed a lot of horn honking there - but driving in Boston IS a giant game of "chicken": you can either get into the competitive spirit and force your way through, or really chill and not worry how long it takes to reach your destination.
Mar 27, 2016 12:39pm
Thread
Yay, Teacup! Congratulations.
Mar 27, 2016 2:09pm
Thread
I had no idea what a grid was until I went to NYC!

That was just Manhattan. lol Most tourists never experience the morass of confusion that is the other boroughs. Queens is the biggest challenge for a GPS. You have Maple Street, Maple Road, Maple Place, Maple Avenue, Maple Boulevard. And sometimes none of those streets are anywhere near each other! lol

I've never had the guts to drive in Boston and I drive in Manhattan all the time.
Reply to: #923090 by MissMoon
Mar 27, 2016 4:21pm
Thread
Queens is the biggest challenge for a GPS. You have Maple Street, Maple Road, Maple Place, Maple Avenue, Maple Boulevard.

It's been said that they had to pass a law in Atlanta preventing anyone else from naming a street "Peachtree". They've got something like 25 Peachtree Streets in Atlanta, some of which are in really bad neighborhoods that you won't appreciate your GPS bringing you to.
Reply to: #923090 by MissMoon
Mar 27, 2016 6:08pm
Thread
I've never had difficulty driving in Boston, (tho I'll admit a tussle with the parking authority). IMHO, the hype on the subject far exceeds the reality.

Want to drive somewhere hard, drive in Rabat, Morocco. I've driven in alot of usual and unusual places, and I'd argue this is the most challenging that I've encountered. Ignoring traffic lights, signs, pedestrians, other motorists, etc., is simply expected, tho once you get the Zen of it, there is actually a Zen of it.

YMMV, of course. This sort of thing, of course, is all relative. The nice thing about Boston is that the T is so efficient that there really isn't a need to drive if you don't want to or it makes you uncomfortable. I will agree or disagree, depending -- Manhattan is easier (actually trivial), Queens is harder (but not really that hard either, at least IMHO).
Mar 27, 2016 6:20pm
Thread
A favorite boxing memory. Thanks, Tea!
Reply to: #923083 by mudflinginfools
Mar 27, 2016 7:12pm
Thread
LOL. Fence-stringing is an ongoing concern of mine, so it's comforting to know that's (probably) off the table. I went out to plant a three-box series today, but the trail I had in mind was a bust. I'll try to pre-scout for a place for a PAL day plant, lest I fail again and am forced to pay the consequences.
Reply to: #923093 by Kirbert
Mar 27, 2016 11:15pm
Thread
They've got something like 25 Peachtree Streets in Atlanta

More like 70 actually. And that is just in Atlanta, there are some in surrounding areas too.
Reply to: #923098 by Sir Braemoor
Mar 27, 2016 11:30pm
Thread
Want to drive somewhere hard, drive in Rabat, Morocco.

My brother spent a couple of weeks in Thailand, and then told me he wasn't entirely sure which side of the road they drive on there.
Reply to: #922754 by Hiking Vikings
Mar 28, 2016 4:42am
Thread
So did you end up deciding on a trip?
Reply to: #923119 by Rocklun
Mar 28, 2016 4:55am
Thread
Ahh, I should have reported earlier. Circumstances have led to me planning a day trip to a couple museums with my wife, youngest kids and granddaughter right here in MD. Although I have not made it official by reserving the airline tix, I am likely heading to Columbus for the day tomorrow. I'll be meeting up with a couple other boxers to get some coveted stamps and I'll most likely be hitting a couple cemeteries to do a little boxing as well. Thanks for checking .....and, thanks to everyone for the info on other locations! I'm sure it will all come in handy at some point.
Mar 28, 2016 8:38am
Thread
Oh... and no one knows how to merge without someone having to stop. Only in Mass have I seen people STOP on the entrance ramp of the freeway!
Reply to: #923112 by Eidolon
Mar 28, 2016 8:52am
Thread
They've got something like 25 Peachtree Streets in Atlanta

More like 70 actually. And that is just in Atlanta, there are some in surrounding areas too.

There's actually a logical reason for this insanity. Wassa had pulled off a fantastic April Fools joke back in the early days of naming streets saying that the mayor and the entire city council would win a free trip to India for whichever city named the most streets "Peachtree." And thus.... *shrug*

So I'd blame Wassa for that. *nodding* =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #923125 by Kimoppi
Mar 28, 2016 9:54am
Thread
Look up Ramp Meter. It's required to stop in some states!
Reply to: #923125 by Kimoppi
Mar 28, 2016 11:00am
Thread
There are urban areas where the traffic is so heavy that you have no choice but to stop. The traffic on some roads in the NYC area can be so heavy that people stack up in the entrance ramp during the rush hour.

Unless you want to get slammed into by oncoming traffic that has no place to move over to let you in, you wait for a small opening and grab it.

And in places where the entrance ramp is very short you may have to stop also. The Sawmill Highway comes to mind.
Reply to: #923132 by MissMoon
Mar 28, 2016 11:09am
Thread
In Denver, we have some entrance ramps that have traffic lights times to control the flow of traffic onto highways. If the light is red, you're supposed to stop and wait for it to turn green.
Reply to: #923134 by Angel and Demon
Mar 28, 2016 12:03pm
Thread
entrance ramps that have traffic lights

We have those on several ramps near Atlanta. I had never seen them before I moved here.
Reply to: #923135 by WiseOldOwl
Mar 28, 2016 1:18pm
Thread
I'm not sure they actually work, as the highway is generally pretty bad.
Reply to: #923132 by MissMoon
Mar 28, 2016 5:53pm
Thread
There's an entrance ramp in Bainbridge, GA, that has no merge lane -- it fires you right out into traffic. It's because it's right at the onset of a bridge, and the bridge only has the two lanes for the interstate; it's not wide enough for a merge lane. And while a stop sign would actually make sense there, they don't have one. In fact, there's very little warning that you're merging without a merge lane.

I concur that some on ramps involve stopping. But for those, there should be a stop sign. It shouldn't be left up to the drivers, as some are looking ahead at the car in front of them while others are looking back for an opening to merge into. It's just asking for a rear-ender.