A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: What Counts as a Different Box?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #922096 by MissMoon
Mar 14, 2016 10:08am
Thread
If it doesn't interest you then use the ignore button.

Why? It should be obvious to almost everyone that it interests me, as I've participated.

I think it would be a better concept if the discussion were limited or non-existent, specifically, as the concept has an element of surprise or "aha" that the discussion compromises. It is refreshing to see concepts that are different that most boxes, but surprise would make them better, IMHO.

If I used the ignore button, I could not make that, or other points to try to improve the concept. I've tried to be constructive in this thread, or at least to reflect on historical traditions and definitions. I don't think using the ignore button would allow me to be constructive, nor do I believe suggesting its use has a constructive purpose or motive.
Re: What Counts as a Different Box?
Reply to: #922154 by Sir Braemoor
Mar 14, 2016 11:17am
Thread
It is refreshing to see concepts that are different that most boxes, but surprise would make them better, IMHO.

With direction boxes predominant, a little something something extra at the hide destination puts a smile on my face.
Re: Series vs. Individual Boxes
Reply to: #922146 by SherlockMiles
Mar 14, 2016 12:19pm
Thread
And as a finder - not a planter - I prefer to stamp into less logs.

If you're gettin' tired of stamping into logs, that tells me there are too many letterboxes planted too close together.

I once found a series in a tiny city park in which boxes were so close together that I'd end up sitting on the same bench when stamping in two of them. There's no rule against that or anything, but IMHO those same stamps would be better utilized scattered over a larger park or longer trail. I guess perhaps things are different in Connecticut where there are letterboxes under every rock.
Reply to: #922160 by Kirbert
Mar 14, 2016 1:02pm
Thread
If you're gettin' tired of stamping into logs, that tells me there are too many letterboxes planted too close together.

Possibly. Other reasons might be that it's brutally cold/brutally hot/raining/muggle-y/mosquito-y/etc., so you want to spend as little time as possible at a box. On very cold winter days, my buddies and I specifically avoid situations where there will be a lot of logbooks, because our exposed fingers start to freeze almost instantly.
Reply to: #922160 by Kirbert
Mar 14, 2016 1:16pm
Thread

It doesn't to me. It tells me that perhaps a different activity would be more fun for you.

The planters are always right. They are the ones who put time, creativity, energy, expense, vision, and so forth into their work. If that vision is inconsistent with the finders' idea of a good time, it is time for the finder to find another good time.

JMHO
Reply to: #922162 by Sir Braemoor
Mar 14, 2016 1:34pm
Thread
The planters are always right.

Naw. I've screwed up many times as a planter (hence the trailname) and expect that trend to continue. Thank you finders for letting me know.
Stamps to form an image
Mar 14, 2016 6:16pm
Thread
Has anyone tried making multiple stamps to form an image? My two ideas (definitely long-term because they have the potential to take a while) are to carve a 7-piece tangram set and place a sheet where the stamper can pick which of like three images they want and it shows them how to place the stamps to make the image (advanced boxers I'm guessing).

My second idea is to carve the six types of chess pieces, one in negative space and one in positive space to form black and white pieces and spread them out all over a big space like a large park, and that way the finder creates a chessboard.

Too complex?
Re: Stamps to form an image
Reply to: #922184 by Silhouette of a Rose
Mar 14, 2016 6:32pm
Thread
Ooh, that sounds cool!
Mar 14, 2016 7:37pm
Thread
Not at all too complex. I've found a box similar to your tangram concept and it was a lot of fun. A very creative idea!
Mar 14, 2016 8:00pm
Thread
Not too complex at all. I've found some boxes like that and they were really cool. It's fun seeing the image appear as you ink each stamp.
Mar 15, 2016 4:18am
Thread
Those are both cool ideas, and entirely workable.

I found a series of six stamps that came together in one gigantic 4x6 image, like a puzzle. It was tricky to get things lined up, but immensely satisfying to finish.

You might want to search AQ for info on layered stamps. 3 Blind Mice is the master. His stuff will blow your mind.
Mar 15, 2016 5:16am
Thread
I think that sounds awesome. In fact, I would go out of my way to find boxes like that. I love the quirky, funky, artsy stuff.
Reply to: #922186 by whatevermatters
Mar 15, 2016 6:00am
Thread
Thanks dear :P
Reply to: #922195 by Sheba
Mar 15, 2016 6:01am
Thread
Great! Thank you!
Reply to: #922197 by MissMoon
Mar 15, 2016 6:01am
Thread
Great! I'll have to set some Speedball aside for it, then.
Reply to: #922203 by Fiddleheads
Mar 15, 2016 6:02am
Thread
Thank you!! I will definitely look him up.
Reply to: #922206 by General Word Nerd
Mar 15, 2016 6:03am
Thread
If I were to make it and plant it, how should I advertise that it is a creative puzzle type to help catch interest?
Reply to: #922214 by Silhouette of a Rose
Mar 15, 2016 6:44am
Thread
If I were to make it and plant it, how should I advertise that it is a creative puzzle type to help catch interest?

In the synopsis or clue section of the listing. Or maybe even a creative title that catches the concept.

Some people believe in keeping cool concepts silent so the thrill of discovery/surprise factor is there, but if you want to advertise, the above may be the way to go.
Re: Box Attributes changed??
Reply to: #922024 by Green Tortuga
Mar 15, 2016 8:17am
Thread
I'm going to have to retrieve the data from backups and merge the data into the live database.

I've finally finished doing this, restoring the favorite searches from the backups from the day before the Big Update happened.

Let me know if there is anything hinky with them.

-- Ryan
Mar 15, 2016 8:45am
Thread
Here is a series around here like that. When finished it is a mustang. The various boxes include the body, the wheels, the side door, and the logo. It is a very cool series.

~Aurora
Reply to: #922228 by The hicks from the sticks
Mar 15, 2016 9:07am
Thread
I think Aurora met to include a link. Allow me:

Mo' Mustangs!
Mar 15, 2016 11:22am
Thread
Puzzle Attribute when you list it. But I would also put it in bold print before the clue, that this will be a more time consuming box, and especially if it requires multiple colors of ink. Some people don't have time or interest.

I've got a 3 layer stamp, 3 colors, and it is indoors. Makes it easier to sit and stamp and take time.

I had a cute snowman which had a bunch of tiny stamps to build and dress him. I called it Build a Snowman, and listed in the clue that it was multiple stamps and required colors. It was only worth one Find, since it was all in one box, the stamps were teeny. Very fun box, but it was removed when they cleared trees. Maybe I will do another similar one.
Mar 15, 2016 12:07pm
Thread
If you use the puzzle icon people might think the clues need to be figured out. That's the description of the puzzle icon below. If your clues are straight forward...go down the trail, turn left......go 50 paces, etc.......that icon doesn't apply.

The "Planter's Choice" icon might be a good one to use. That means you think it's pretty darned special and you really like it. :) Then the first thing you put in the clue is that people are completing an image with each stamp so they know how it's going to go in their logbook.

Puzzle Icon -
You'll be expected to use your head on this one in order to decipher the clue. The code might be easy or hard-this image promises nothing on that count-the only thing it does promise is that the clue won't be straight-forward as most.

Check out the attributes page and you'll see what it says for "Planter's Choice". Part of it is that you really want people to notice the boxes and that it's a favorite.

Good luck with it. I think it sounds really nice!
Mar 16, 2016 5:08am
Thread
Can anyone tell me if there are any software tools out there which, given an image, will render multiple layers of carvable image suitable for carving? The goal here being to overlay each stamp from each layer and result in a single, finished image. Gimp is the only one I know, but I find it a bit unwieldy.
Reply to: #922298 by west dover quidditch team
Mar 16, 2016 7:00am
Thread
I've done it using and old version of photo shop. Select the parts you want and paste them into a new layer. Hide that layer select the next set of parts and paste into a new layer. Repeat until you have the number of layers you want. Hide all but the one you are printing at a given time. It is helpful to have a common corner to use as a guide for stamping
Mar 16, 2016 7:33am
Thread
This might be helpful.

I found this old post from 3 Blind Mice. His layered stamps are legend. And he always remembered to put numbers on the back of each stamp so you were sure which went down first! lol Lightest colors first, followed by darker.

http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?msgId=475962;gSearch=layering+stamps
Reply to: #922312 by Penfeather
Mar 16, 2016 7:57am
Thread
Spoiler alert?
Reply to: #922054 by Green Tortuga
Mar 16, 2016 10:19am
Thread
If AQ knows that Box B is dependent on finding Box A, then Box B will automatically be marked as a bonus box.

But then what about a situation where a box is dependent on another box, but it's not a bonus, but rather part of a puzzle series? That's just one example in which someone might use dependencies or attributes in an unusual way.

I can understand the attractiveness of consistency and simplicity, but some people use attributes and/or restrictions to add to the fun and creativity of a box or series. Setting things up that carefully is not for everyone, but there are people who craft their clues and boxes very carefully. For someone like that, more granular control of attributes and dependencies is beneficial. People who take the time to do that can really add a lot of fun and excitement to letterboxing.

On the topic of WOM, that can also be used creatively, or can be used to add a more social aspect to the local letterboxing scene, so I hope that doesn't get eliminated completely. It's a shame that a box listing can't have information in the clue field (like details about how to get the WOM clue or interesting information related to the box) and still be WOM.
Mar 16, 2016 2:28pm
Thread
You can easily use Irfanview to reduce the number of colors in an image to 16, then change 15 of those colors to white so only one appears. Do that three or four times choosing different colors each time, and you'll end up with three or four stamps that'll go together to make an image. With a bit of finagling, you can make this work very well indeed. For example, it'll usually be helpful to convert perhaps 12 of the colors to white and then make the remaining 4 all the same color. By picking and choosing which colors to do what with, you can create a very nice multi-layer image. You can also change all 16 colors to three or four to get an idea what the stamp is going to look like before you break out the rubber.
Reply to: #922328 by Penfeather
Mar 16, 2016 2:31pm
Thread
...what about a situation where a box is dependent on another box, but it's not a bonus, but rather part of a puzzle series?

You have to find the first box to solve the puzzle to find the second box? Seems to me you've got two choices: You can either list the second box as being dependent on the first, because in reality it is a bonus box. Or, you can list the second box as not being dependent on the first box, just describe in the clues that you must find the first box to solve the puzzle to find the second.