A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Whats in your letterboxing backpack
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #917798 by Sir Braemoor
Jan 13, 2016 6:22pm
Thread
But if you care, you are in the hobby for the wrong reason.

Nope. don't care. Just answering the question. Some things in our hobby I *do* care about, maybe too much, but this isn't one of them.
Reply to: #917719 by brailleboxer
Jan 13, 2016 6:28pm
Thread
Oreos.

Anything else is over thinking it.
Reply to: #917820 by Rocklun
Jan 13, 2016 7:01pm
Thread
Don't click "disagree," then he'll want to prove it....
Reply to: #917785 by Trouble Bug
Jan 13, 2016 7:01pm
Thread
Yes, that's right-they are a quick fix if a box is broken or ruined somehow, and then I always tell the planter so that if they want something better then they can do maintenance at another time. IMHO cammo pouches are not great and I have had my share of bug-swarm attacks from opening some of them, but it suffices temporarily, when you need it! Gee, I hope this thread doesn't go off on a tangent about everyone's experiences with BUGS....eeew! I feel all squirmy already!
Reply to: #917827 by Gypsy Fiddler
Jan 13, 2016 7:09pm
Thread
All the LB essentials, plus: first aid kit, Benadryl cream for stinging nettle stings, baby wipes for muddy fingers, garden gloves for really "well" hidden boxes, baggies for repairs, and a grocery bag for litter I find along the way!
Jan 13, 2016 7:15pm
Thread
I have most of the usual stuff plus

Toothbrush - This works wonders when the seal of the boxes are full of dirt or bugs.

Paper Towels and camouflage duct tape - used for first aid on box and humans.

small wire chain saw - Not sure why we have this but if we ever need one, we will have it.
Jan 13, 2016 8:11pm
Thread
After reading this whole thread I have come to one conclusion.
We are all utterly insane.
Reply to: #917773 by wassamatta u
Jan 13, 2016 8:13pm
Thread
But if you find one of these, you know the box exists, and will be replaced momentarily.

I have seen these used to VERY good effect at events.

I'd just like to say that that's so much more considerate than my idea to surreptitiously put the box in my pack and pretend to keep looking for it along with everyone else at the event. =)

-- Ryan, who definitely takes "rehide better than you found it" seriously....
Reply to: #917813 by Rocklun
Jan 13, 2016 8:34pm
Thread
Okay, I'll bite: do you carry it as a weapon? Maybe as a tool for prying boxes out of the snow?

I was guessing it was to dig a cathole for the biodegradable toilet paper, but self defense and prying out boxes sound good too. As long as it is not used for both digging catholes and prying out boxes. But I suppose it would still be good for self defense either way.
Reply to: #917813 by Rocklun
Jan 13, 2016 9:25pm
Thread
All off the above, really. I missed a box on vacation because it was encased in ice. When my dad was giving me tools I it planning to attack that box on the way home. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the box, but that big ol' screwdriver has remained just in case.
Reply to: #917840 by Kimoppi
Jan 14, 2016 5:09am
Thread
A lot of great ideas here. In addition to the normal boxing supplies we have a small flashlight, pepper spray, and a wooden back scratcher from a $ store. That may seem odd but when it scratches on a hidden box/pouch it makes a unique sound. Great for those dark hidey holes and would rather drag out any creepy crawlers, etc with that than our hands.
Reply to: #917822 by Rocklun
Jan 14, 2016 5:55am
Thread
If I can find a copy, I'll try to send one to this poor newbie, since his first find was only a year and a half ago.

You should get him a signed copy, that always makes it extra special!
Reply to: #917826 by Sheba
Jan 14, 2016 5:57am
Thread
Don't click "disagree," then he'll want to prove it....

Why do you think Schizokeet and I find so few letterboxes anymore?
Reply to: #917861 by Cyclonic
Jan 14, 2016 6:11am
Thread

Ooh, fabulous idea! Hmm, I wonder how I can get in touch with that Randy fella? If only he logged in to AQ now and then...
Reply to: #917861 by Cyclonic
Jan 14, 2016 8:14am
Thread

That's exactly the reason I signed my own copy! =)

-- Ryan, proud owner of a signed copy of The Letterboxer's Companion
Jan 14, 2016 11:08am
Thread
1) Two black ink pads
2) Our logbook
3) Box repair supplies (baggies, paper towels, scentless baby wipes)
4) sharpie pens (they don't run)
5) Any hitchhikers we need to drop off or we pick up
6) a hope that we don't run into moose, bears, and even worse, a crazy backwoods Alaskan sourdough.
7) Primary and secondary color ink pads

Also, this is a waterproof zip type case. It's soft sided.
Reply to: #917850 by Daytrippers 54
Jan 14, 2016 11:18am
Thread
The back scratcher is a great idea! I'm so adding that to our bag!
very Re: Whats in your letterboxing backpack
Reply to: #917835 by LROSEM
Jan 14, 2016 3:13pm
Thread
After reading this whole thread I have come to one conclusion.
We are all utterly insane.

And I have come to the conclusion that some people must be hauling around some very large and very heavy backpacks. But they still don't have Oreos.
Reply to: #917757 by brailleboxer
Jan 14, 2016 3:24pm
Thread
Braile Boxer, I forgot to say sugar packets. They came in handy on Fossil's Flats Trail in Devil's Den. I love that trail.
Reply to: #917788 by Sunia
Jan 14, 2016 3:35pm
Thread
If you're diabetic, you never know so you need to be prepared and the person with needs to be prepared. But, I like long hikes, I hike prepared. The one in Devil's Den was about 3 hours even though we only went about 3 miles. Grandkids slow you down and sometimes you have to look harder than other times. Also, it was about an hour's drive home.
Reply to: #917838 by Rebiccola
Jan 14, 2016 3:52pm
Thread
Rebiccola, I used to say "trench it". I like "cat hole" a lot better and am going to say that from now on. haha We have cats and have said, "I have to go to the litter box".
Reply to: #917862 by Cyclonic
Jan 14, 2016 3:54pm
Thread

la la la la buzzzzzz la la la la la
Reply to: #917862 by Cyclonic
Jan 14, 2016 4:41pm
Thread

Because I'm not there to bang on the door & say, "c'mon, you two, stop fooling around & let's get going!" :)
Reply to: #917929 by zinni
Jan 14, 2016 10:09pm
Thread
Ok, that's a long time. Agreed.
Letterboxing angels
Jan 15, 2016 5:14am
Thread
I'd like to give a shout-out to Mama of 3 Boys for helping me out with a box. When she looked for one of my boxes, she found that the tree that it was hiding behind had split and covered the area with debris. Instead of giving up, she looked through the debris and found the box. Since the box location was no longer viable, she rehid the box nearby and emailed me the new location, along with photos, so that I could update the clues. Since the box is in SC and I live in MA, I was thrilled to hear that she'd done this! :^)

Does anyone else have stories of letterboxing angels that they'd like to share?
Depression
Jan 15, 2016 7:00am
Thread
I don't always tell people, but it's important to explain why I've been MIA for two months.

I'm not a jerk. I don't do this to affect other people, but it frequently does. I have depression. I've known it since I was about 11 and did my first suicide attempt. It was stupid, but at 11, it was how I felt. I hide it a lot. Laughter, smiles.... a lot of the time fake or fleeting. I cannot find peace or joy.

This bout has been a debilitating one. I am stressed to the point that I can barely help around the house. Looking at this site makes me cringe. Looking for a job makes me feel ill. I have little energy. I force myself not to take naps, but I can't get to sleep at night. Taking care of my son's medical issues makes my head swim. There's more, but you get the picture.

I have seen a doctor. She blamed it on hormones because my worst times was when I was a teen, right after the kids, and on and off since my hysterectomy from cancer. I can't take hormones because of the cancer.

Anti depression meds...I won't take meds. Last time on meds, I flipped out. They scare me as much as the disease itself.
I'm sure the weather isn't helping. And Christmas, New Years, and my birthday were so lackluster that I had no bright spots.

Right now, I'm even crying because I can't handle this. I will get better. I always do. But it's hard to explain my distancing and feelings, so I hope I am getting them all out. It too helps.

My husband knows. I try to hide it from the kids. They don't see much when they're in school all day. What I need is a change. Spring would be my favored option, but I don't really want to be this way for 2 more months.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do as far as my LTCs go and I haven't really boxed in a year with the exception of the last event. That goes with my foot pain and lack of boxing buddy and lack of motivation. I just don't know right now. I'm lost....

Sorry. This is not meant for a pity party. I just needed my feelings out and my family doesn't get it and I don't have a lot of friends except you guys...

♡ Seer Meesh
Catch up
Jan 15, 2016 7:09am
Thread
I have over 50 incoming messages, behind in a lot of stuff. Please bear with me. By next Wednesday I should be caught up or really close to it.

SeerMeesh
Re: Depression
Reply to: #917964 by SeerMeesh
Jan 15, 2016 7:11am
Thread
Please see your AQ mail...and hugs!!!
Jan 15, 2016 8:40am
Thread
I've suffered from depression and anxiety for pretty much forever too. The worst time was when my son pretty much lost it and almost had to get hospitalized. I was very against medication, but after seeing how much it helped him, and because I was feeling very much the same way you are feeling, I decided to try it. I had a very bad reaction to the first kind I tried. I was a bawling, shivering mess. I went back to the doctor and tried a second kind because I could not live in a constant state of depression any longer, and it worked. It took a couple of very long weeks to kick in, but slowly I started feeling better. I slept a lot at first and have crazy dreams, but the anxiety has lessened and I don't feel horrible all the time. I'm driving again after something like 6 years of not being to drive. I flew for the first time in 11 years. I'm making friends, going to college, and feeling ok. I do still have bad days, but the good outweighs them. I'd encourage you to give it another try and keep trying until you find one that works.
Jan 15, 2016 8:53am
Thread
Please don't feel any concern or anxiety about this site. I'm sure that nobody cares about LTCs or postals or letterboxes as much as we care about your well-being. I'm so sorry that you've been struggling with such a severe bout of depression.