Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

greyhound RV traveller
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Jan 11, 2016 4:39pm
If anyone wants to send wishes or carve a stamp for greyhound RV traveler who will be turning 80 this year on March 10, 2016, please PM or email me.

Thank you,
Pink Panther (the daughter)
Re: Nobody has found my bonus yet.
Reply to: #917531 by Buzzkill
Jan 12, 2016 11:27am
Thread
A few months back I suffered from an abscess that turned out to be MRSA. But I've never gotten one of your LTC's, so I don't think I qualify for your bonus!
Whats in your letterboxing backpack
Jan 13, 2016 7:56am
Thread
Went boxing yesterday and thought - i wonder what others have in their letterboxing packs ? Odd items , items that come in handy etc.
please share !
Need Basket ideas for Fundraiser Auction
Jan 13, 2016 8:04am
Thread
I've been asked to put together a basket to be auctioned at a school fundraiser. My friend suggested letterboxing supplies. However, letterboxing is NOT a popular kids activity around here, especially with middle schoolers, which this is a middle school.

I do not want to spend a lot of time on this box, I'd much rather just hand her a check.

But if I'm going to make a box, I'd like to include a beginner's letterboxing kit, a few ink pads, a journal, one camo taped lock n Lock box, some blank note cards, some decorated notecards to give ideas, and one custom stamp, which I was thinking the school logo. Maybe one more custom stamp of an owl or something Floridian.

I would also make a little sign about letterboxing with the website, and how stamp carving can be use for art, notecards, etc. Also a printout of various ways to transfer designs, and where to buy supplies. (There's only one place by me).

Any other ideas? What kind of basket/bucket/box should I use? Is this a dumb idea?

I told her I want all of it back if it doesn't get sold. Of course, the minimum price will be cost of supplies.
Re: Need Basket ideas for Fundraiser Auction
Reply to: #917720 by FloridaFour
Jan 13, 2016 8:08am
Thread
I think you're right that this would be a waste of your time. I'm thinking that donating a carving lesson would be a better idea. Maybe there's a budding artist out there?
Re: Whats in your letterboxing backpack
Reply to: #917719 by brailleboxer
Jan 13, 2016 8:11am
Thread
This thread from a year ago might be helpful!
Jan 13, 2016 8:12am
Thread
A plastic pencil case with 4 or 5 stamp pads, pens, my signature stamp mini stamp for HHs, and personal traveller. I like versafine ink pads, because they leave little residue, the ink is permanent, and the lids are hinged, so I just flip them over and stamp easily.

A small spray bottle of water to spray stamps and wipe with paper towels, so I can use my red or yellow ink, etc.

A few American Crafts or Marvy markers. (I rarely take time to use these on the trail)
Hitchhikers
Compass
Bug spray
Sunscreen
Water bottle
Money
Keys
Camera/phone
Snack
Plastic baggies
Paper towels
Sunglasses
Sometimes an umbrella or folded up poncho

I now also have this 2 lb folding tripod stool. I have not tested it on the trail, yet.
Jan 13, 2016 8:16am
Thread
I have my pens, a black ink pad, my logbook, sig stamp, my carving tools, and an extra piece of the pink stuff.

~Ruby
Reply to: #917721 by Rocklun
Jan 13, 2016 8:19am
Thread
She's already been on my case about that.... next year, she's giving me a full hour to teach that to a whole class of digital art students if I want... this school does not have an art department, other than digital arts, so I'm not sure how much interest there is. It's an engineering magnet school.

I just don't want to waste my time and money. I've seen time and time again, how these auction baskets barely break even, or even sell for less than they are worth.

I spent $100 on making a basket once, and it sold for $65. That was several years ago, and I haven't done it since. Yes, it makes money for the school, but it seems a huge waste.

I could market my basket more towards card making, so the moms would buy it, but i think that would sell better at a church auction, not a middle school auction.

Kids might want to carve stamps, but they have little interest in letterboxing where I live. My own kids refuse to go.
Reply to: #917725 by FloridaFour
Jan 13, 2016 8:21am
Thread
Pintrest has a lot of fun ideas.
Reply to: #917726 by StampingIsMyForte
Jan 13, 2016 8:27am
Thread
I've learned to stay far, far away from Pinterest. Haha! (I'd be on there all day)
Jan 13, 2016 8:34am
Thread
I would tell her no, then, and ask how else you can contribute. I would tell her that if the point is to make money, you don't want to make a basket that nobody bids on!
Reply to: #917720 by FloridaFour
Jan 13, 2016 8:43am
Thread
I'd focus on the carving,not the boxing. It's something you can dabble in without too much research.

I wouldn't want to compromise local boxes by encouraging those who are...less passionate about boxing to "check it out".
But if they enjoyed carving, they might want to look into it further. Maybe a few simple/basic carving supplies and a journal and ink pads. If your family/friends gift you lovely store bought stamps that you've never used because you like to carve your own (but at least they tried to understand your hobby) this would be a good place for them,
You might include something about ciphers and codes too...if you wanted to still tie back to letterboxing. Maybe include a card that says something like "Like solving puzzles AND stamping? Learn more about Letterboxing at (website)"

That way, they have to do research to find out what it's about, they can easily use all the supplies for non-boxing activities unless they become intrigued and enamored but they won't be motivated to just try it and see what it's all about (and possibly damage things)

*** One of the first boxing families I met/discovered had some muggley habits because they started out with too little info. Their advice made me shudder, even as a newbie. I wouldn't want to set more half informed individuals out in the world.
Reply to: #917729 by Rocklun
Jan 13, 2016 8:54am
Thread
For our school auction, the classrooms are assigned types of baskets and each student is assigned one item to bring in for it. For example, my son had to bring in a shirt (t-shirt/jersey) for a local professional football team for his class' sports basket (someone else brought in a cup with the logo, etc.). Easy baskets are the "movie night" (bring in popcorn, flavoring, DVDs, snuggle blanket, etc.) and the "ice cream" basket (ice cream toppings, IOU for ice cream, ice cream cones/waffle bowls, spoons, fancy dishes/napkins, etc.). Sometimes book baskets do well (have a girl basket and a boy basket).

I like that the baskets are assembled as a team effort rather than one person shelling out the time and money to put together one basket.

Another thing to consider, my kids' elementary school always does a class donation for the school auction. Each child in the class does a piece of a greater item. For example, one class made tile coasters (each student decorated one). Another class painted a wheelbarrow and painted hand prints and their names on the outside of it. Another class painted a chair white and then put their hand prints on that. I also remember the class pet had a framed photo which raised more money than it cost.

Good luck!
Jan 13, 2016 8:56am
Thread
It's better when you can solicit donations so the baskets are essentially "free" for you to put together.

You could do a hiking kit? Reusable water bottle, socks, snacks, (free) maps of local trails? Binoculars if you can still find some on Christmas clearance? Or a (used from Amazon) book on tree/plant identifying? Add in sketch book and colored pencils to draw on the art aspect? Use a pull string backpack (easy to make if you sew) instead of a basket?

I got frustrated with donating stuff too. Sometimes it was appreciated, sometimes it didn't appear to be. One item was in demand...but the person in charge wrapped and labeled it poorly. :-( Probably b/c it was homemade, but still. People who knew about it wanted it and couldn't find it to bid.
Jan 13, 2016 9:00am
Thread
Water bottle and extra ziplock baggies. A place-holder stamp we rarely remember to put in place.
Plus all the usual accouterments.
Reply to: #917734 by Uncorny Acorns
Jan 13, 2016 9:11am
Thread
Whats a placeholder stamp
Jan 13, 2016 9:12am
Thread
I don't carry around much. My logbook, sig stamp, some HHs I've picked up, markers, a stamp pad, and a compass.
Reply to: #917731 by Uncorny Acorns
Jan 13, 2016 9:49am
Thread
I have a HUGE box of unused store bought stamps someone else gave me that I never even look at. I could definitely add some of that to the box. It would be very girly, though. Flowers and quotes, mostly. Not sure if that would work for this Engineering Magnet school. But thanks for giving me that idea, I will look through that box.

As for the making stuff by kids, this school has no art department, except digital arts, and that's not my area...

The cipher idea won't work, because there's exactly 2 letterboxes with ciphers within 20 miles of me. So there's not much for them to find. One of the boxes is mine, with a donated stamp andazing handmade logbook, and I don't want them to look for that on their first try. Haha!

Knowing my middle school kids, they are too wrapped up in video games and U tube shows to stop for 2 seconds to try one, anyway.

I told her I would focus on the stamp carving as a hobby, if I do it. I don't think I would mention letterboxing, though I seriously doubt I would recruit even 1 kid to the hobby. Giving them a blurb about letterboxing actually does not worry me at all. This school has extra nice, smart kids, not worried about vandals, like I do with geocaching. They don't go roaming about on their own here in parks, until high school age.

I will just buy stuff I want, and keep the receipts, and I told her I want it back if it doesn't sell for the minimum I propose.
Reply to: #917735 by brailleboxer
Jan 13, 2016 10:00am
Thread
It's something you put in place of the actual box while you're logging in in case a boxer comes up right behind you.
Jan 13, 2016 10:02am
Thread
I use a small makeup bag. I have: sig stamp, stamp pad, index cards, pan, compass, and any hhs I have found.
Jan 13, 2016 10:25am
Thread
ID incase I'm found unconscious or dead. Cell phone in case someone is after me. Water. Everyone needs constant rehydrating. Food in case I get lost. Lighter in case I'm lost overnight. Silver blanket in case I'm lost overnight. Antibiotic salve and bandages. Oh, and replacement stuff for needy boxes and index cards to stamp on. Crayola markers to color stamps with. Pen to write about the box and who boxes with me. Actually, I do carry this stuff. You never know if you hike places like Devil's Den. Plus, the weight of this stuff helps a bit for longer hikes. Actually, if you're a diabetic-and I am-You need to take care of even small injuries so they won't bet infected. You need food in case you blood sugar goes down. And diabetics are always thirsty. Did I mention toilet paper. Diabetics always have to tinkle.
Reply to: #917744 by zinni
Jan 13, 2016 10:26am
Thread
And compass and money.
Reply to: #917738 by Trouble Bug
Jan 13, 2016 10:33am
Thread
It's something you put in place of the actual box while you're logging in in case a boxer comes up right behind you.

Interesting! I've never heard of that or seen one in use. I can't imagine a circumstance where I'd ever use a placeholder stamp, but I guess there must be one?

I thought maybe a placeholder stamp was this or this: you know, store-bought stamps that some people carry with them to replace someone else's missing stamp so that they can list the box as a find. Because smiley-face or jumpin'-frog stamps are always appropriate replacements that any planter would want in their box! :^|
Jan 13, 2016 10:37am
Thread
I have the stuff you need like siggy stamps, black ink pad, colored markers and logbook. After those I have: tissue paper/moist wipes cause you never know when nature will call, a first aid kit, one of those portable phone battery chargers, scissors cause even tho I wear my hair up it enjoys getting stuck in random thorn bushes, hand sanitizer, gum, water, a snack, extra hair ties, a pocket knife and light.I guess nothing all that intiresting lol
Reply to: #917746 by Rocklun
Jan 13, 2016 10:41am
Thread
Because smiley-face or jumpin'-frog stamps are always appropriate replacements that any planter would want in their box! :^|

Are you being sarcastic?

Make sure you type more slowly so I can follow along with your playful sarcasm ;)
Reply to: #917746 by Rocklun
Jan 13, 2016 10:41am
Thread
can't imagine a circumstance where I'd ever use a placeholder stamp, but I guess there must be one?

I can't think of any reason why one would ever be needed. That's a big "huh?" from me.

store-bought stamps that some people carry with them to replace someone else's missing stamp so that they can list the box as a find. Because smiley-face or jumpin'-frog stamps are always appropriate replacements that any planter would want in their box! :^

I assume you tell the planter you replaced their stamp? Since that affects the attributes of the stamp. It's no longer a hand carved stamp and probably no longer reflects the theme of the box if there was one. I've actually never known anyone to do this.
Jan 13, 2016 10:48am
Thread
We have our logbook and signature stamp for me and my husband and our three year old's signature stamp. Markers, pens, and a compass. We need to get some ink pads. For our three year old we have snacks, change of clothes and usually an extra toy that gets dragged along by him. And then for the seven month old we have diapers, wipes, change of clothes and a nursing cover in case he needs to nurse. Oh and of course a first aid kit in case of any boo boos. I've been trying to get better at carrying things for boxes that need help. So mommy carries the backpack with everything and daddy carries the baby on his back and our three year old hikes right along with us. :)
Reply to: #917723 by FloridaFour
Jan 13, 2016 10:52am
Thread
Yes-all of this stuff, plus, I carry HH's that I need to move along, and extra logbooks, plastic ziploc bags, and a few cammo pouches in case a box I find needs some first aid. I always try to take care of every box I find as if it were my own <3
Reply to: #917750 by MissMoon
Jan 13, 2016 10:56am
Thread
I assume you tell the planter you replaced their stamp? Since that affects the attributes of the stamp. It's no longer a hand carved stamp and probably no longer reflects the theme of the box if there was one. I've actually never known anyone to do this.

Nah, this isn't something I'd do. And I'd definitely never recommend that people do this!

I've found my share of crappy replacement stamps that have nothing to do with the theme, so there are obviously people who do it. I'd be very unhappy if someone stuck a stamp in one of my boxes without my permission. Okay, except for the one time that someone added a hand-carved piece of cheese stamp to a box with a rat stamp. I still don't know who did it, but I thought that was really funny and left it in there! :^)