Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Letterboxing Club start up
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #916452 by Sir Braemoor
Dec 23, 2015 4:47pm
Thread
Come to my next anti-gathering

Will it be at the original VT location again?
Re: Letterboxing over the holidays
Reply to: #916423 by Rocklun
Dec 23, 2015 7:27pm
Thread
As a family of 5 we are driving from Texas to visit family in Minnesota, starting on Boxing Day! I hope and plan to stop at least once in every state along the way for a letterboxing break. It is good to get out and stretch the legs and get a little fresh air every few hours, don't you think?!?
Dec 23, 2015 7:32pm
Thread
Should be doing some boxing down in the Panhandle for the next 8 days??!!
Reply to: #916474 by R gang
Dec 23, 2015 7:53pm
Thread
no snow and almost 70° tomorrow. is there really any question as to what i will be doing?

smile
Reply to: #916452 by Sir Braemoor
Dec 24, 2015 5:50am
Thread
Thank you. Those clues definitely pull you in. I like the style of the map that was included in the clues. Hmmm....
Reply to: #916434 by Kirbert
Dec 24, 2015 8:50pm
Thread
OTOH, trying to carve on cheap erasers may be what convinces them the hobby isn't for them

I would really be surprised if that were true. Most kids couldn't care less and have no expectations. Anyway, the polymer erasers aren't the gritty pink ones. They are divine to carve on, much like the old pink. The issue comes with longevity, since obviously they wear away over time. I quite liked carving on them, though.

I think folks on the boards are pretty good about encouraging people, and I've heard many reiterate that carving/planting aren't requirements. I never felt pressured or intimidated by that idea and it took me a looooong time actually to try my hand at carving, but I wanted to meet my own goals for what I planted, which had nothing to do with anyone else and everything to do w/ my own preferences. I will admit I'm feeling pressured to write more interesting clues, but I'm not going to quit over it. It may take me a good long while to do it, though. I'm just looking at that as another challenge to work on. The preference for longer hikes, scenic locations, better clues is no different to me than the expectation of hand carving, and they're good things to shoot for if it makes for better boxes or at the very least, more variety. I wouldn't have been ready for that as a newbie, though, but that doesn't mean someone else isn't. I also think it's ok to be at different places with boxing. I can see my preferences shifting as I go, and things were different still when I first started out.

I know boxers who don't carve and no one cares. I don't buy the argument that people actually quit boxing based on comments on the boards concerning learning to carve, but I suppose it's possible they don't start planting b/c of it. Then again, so many people steer them to the stamp exchange and offer to carve that I just don't get that. I think there's always someone who is encouraging, but we're unlikely to hear from them once they quit, either, so who knows?
Reply to: #916450 by KatieKat
Dec 25, 2015 12:21am
Thread
Yeah, somebody on one of these boards asked about map clues just as I was putting that thing together. Timing couldn't have been better, as that plant was perfect for a map clue! Dunno if I woulda thought of it without the discussion.
Dec 25, 2015 1:13pm
Thread
Went on a 3 mile or so hike in Devil's Den State Park in Arkansas with Jbanana, Purple Lion, husband and 3 grandchildren. By the way, Devil's Den is a fabulous place. We set out to find 4 or 5 letterboxes, but only found one. A great time was had by all though. Found another near Huntsville, AR: Rain, Rain, Go Away which is adorable and in an unusual spot. Happy, now.

Merry Christmas to all!
New kind of letterbox for Christmas
Dec 25, 2015 1:49pm
Thread
My son gave me a Tupperware box this morning. The label said, "This is not a piece of trash." Inside the lid was another label. It said, "This is a letterbox. Do not throw away, explode or take." The box was full of lovely notes to me. This is a pretty fun kind of "letter" box to open!
Re: New kind of letterbox for Christmas
Reply to: #916528 by Geedyup
Dec 25, 2015 2:38pm
Thread
I love the way kids perceive things. My Christmas present from my niece, who I take boxing whenever they visit, was a hand-decorated moleskin logbook with letter stickers on the front saying "Which Way Is North?" In the pocket was a "little love" for whenever I felt I needed it -- a paper heart with the words love love love love love love, etc. in gold gel pen. I was amazed she remembered that north thing. Best gift ever and it shows me her boxing memories are inspiring to her. Score!
Dec 25, 2015 5:17pm
Thread
Thanks to hiking companion, FamilyTreeShaker, I finally made it to the Cochie Windmill box outside of Tucson on Christmas Eve. It is a 12 mile hike through the beautiful Sonoran desert on a perfect hiking day, mid-60s. Happily the box was intact. Wonderful boxing day!
Dec 25, 2015 5:31pm
Thread
Well, since it was 61 degrees here on Christmas in MA (and we had limited time), we decided to do a box called Seasons Four. Of course winter was the stamp that was missing. LOL. Could it be more perfect?
Re: New kind of letterbox for Christmas
Reply to: #916528 by Geedyup
Dec 25, 2015 5:55pm
Thread
A nice memory to treasure. I love these stories.
Re: That time of year again...
Reply to: #881450 by Grumpy Grinch
Dec 25, 2015 7:28pm
Thread
Perusing posts on AtlasQuest
I found a poem ('twas the BEST!)
Written by our soulful Grumpy.
(Words and meter never bumpy)
Reminiscent of Christmas past
My laughter came often and fast.
I hurriedly got on the web
To order carve-ables which led
To over-taxing bank and card
(It really wasn't very hard)
Now at our mailbox I'll wait
For packages to come by freight
So we can write a clue so mystic
Plant a 'box that's so artistic
That our friends will join the quest;
Our hobby is the VERY best!

~~DoubleSaj~~
Re: That time of year again...
Reply to: #916541 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Dec 25, 2015 7:55pm
Thread
"Now at our mailbox I'll wait
For packages to come by freight
So we can write a clue so mystic
Plant a 'box that's so artistic
That our friends will join the quest;
Our hobby is the VERY best!"

Love it!
Scariest LBing day yet
Dec 26, 2015 5:48pm
Thread
Today me and a LBing friend did an all day LBing trip. The last box of the day was a mystery and we were playing beat the clock hoping my car wouldn't get locked in at the park it was at. The address in my GPS doesn't take us to where we wanted to go but to the bad neighborhood on the bad side of town. I want to go into a business and ask directions but there aren't any. We see 7 or 8 black guys at the top of their driveway in front of their cars. Its starting to get dark. So I say lets go ask these guys. We pull up beside their cars and a guy comes out with an AK-47. Raises it across his chest pointing it upward. He's not trying to hide it, he's basically saying this what I got. My friend goes, Jason he has a gun lets go. I'm thinking he may start blasting away if start backing up quickly. I say no, I'm getting out. I get out with my arms out, palms facing him, smile on my face, and say I'm lost can you tell me where this park is. Everyone comes out from behind the cars and they are all armed with long guns, even the about 12 year old girl. AK-47 guys says, I don't know where that park is. But I'm trying to get a mystery box here so instead of saying ok good bye, I can't let it go so stupid me says, come on, one of you guys has to know where this park is. Another guy says, we don't know where that is. AK-47 guy goes let me go ask someone inside. He's gone for about two minutes but things got awkward very fast. They are all staring at me with there guns up, but not at me, and nobody is saying anything. My friend finally gets out and says we are 33 minutes away. Just then a woman comes out and starts telling us where we need to go. I'm really not even listening to her. I'm thinking just hurry up so we can get out of here. She finally stops talking and I say thanks and say to my friend lets go. Things could have gone wrong very quickly but they didn't. Our LBing day was over. Just another adventure here in NC.
Re: Scariest LBing day yet
Reply to: #916590 by THE RED CYCLONE
Dec 26, 2015 5:53pm
Thread
that is pretty dang gutsy! i don't think i could have stopped and asked never mind stay cool. and i am one of those people that trust just about anyone.

smile
Dec 26, 2015 6:19pm
Thread
Sounds like my old neighborhood. Not kidding.

Maybe they were waiting on a retaliatory threat? They were probably scared, too. Then laughed their butts off when ya'll left.
Dec 26, 2015 6:21pm
Thread
Dang it. Your finds are hidden and I couldn't snoop to see if you were indeed in or any where near my old neighborhood. :-/
Reply to: #916594 by crosscresent
Dec 26, 2015 6:25pm
Thread
Dang it. Your finds are hidden and I couldn't snoop to see if you were indeed in or any where near my old neighborhood

I don't want to expose where the mystery box is.
Letterbox Ready to Plant
Dec 26, 2015 6:42pm
Thread
I was cleaning my car today and realized I have 3 random letterboxes in the car, ready to plant if I come across the right time and place. Does everyone?
Re: Letterbox Ready to Plant
Reply to: #916596 by DS
Dec 26, 2015 6:57pm
Thread
We have 20, 10 in each car.
Dec 26, 2015 7:04pm
Thread
I think this post is a keeper for repeat perusing. It would be funny if it weren't so scary.
Dec 26, 2015 7:23pm
Thread
Yep. Only 2 or 3 but still....just hoping a place will come up.
Dec 26, 2015 7:38pm
Thread
I had one in my glovebox for months before I finally stopped to plant it at a location I passed at least once a week....

Then cleaning out a backpack I found another box I had meant to plant. Whoops! I was wondering where that stamp was!!

:P
Reply to: #916595 by THE RED CYCLONE
Dec 26, 2015 8:25pm
Thread
Weren't you 33 minutes from the mystery box?
Dec 27, 2015 12:04am
Thread
Nine in my boxing bag, ready to go... Just need to find the time to hike out and plant them all!
Dec 27, 2015 3:22am
Thread
Just one. I know where it goes, just waiting for them to stop moving the trails around. :)
Dec 27, 2015 4:36am
Thread
Yikes! I'm all for asking for directions, but once I realized I was in a bad neighborhood, I would have used the GPS to get to a known safe location. I've found some really amazing boxes, but not a single one was worth getting attacked.

I'm glad you're okay!
Dec 27, 2015 5:06am
Thread
I don't keep it in the car, but I should!