About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

BotW
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Dec 13, 2015 7:04pm
Thread
Congrats to Giddy for the PD for a very very cool letterbox! A bucket list box for everyone in the Northeast!
Re: BioKips boxes by Komax
Reply to: #915966 by FloridaFour
Dec 14, 2015 5:47am
Thread
If you remove the seals from any type of box and put a bead of silicone in the space and then press the seal back in they will be water tight for good- provided a plastic bag doesn't get closed between.
Re: BotW
Reply to: #915986 by dingus dufus
Dec 14, 2015 7:48am
Thread
i am lost.
smile
Re: NH Letterbox!
Reply to: #915885 by deniserows
Dec 14, 2015 7:58am
Thread
BTDT! PRE and i laughed and laughed when 6 others Cough*GA peeps*Cough had gone up up up for 3 hours instead of over.

Luckily we had to go up anyway to find a box hidden at the top.
Reply to: #915696 by Wronghat
Dec 14, 2015 8:16am
Thread
not to open that can of worms but just the fact that it is a valley quest and you pay for the booklets makes it not a letterbox. the program is educationally based with many schools incorporating it into their curriculum. don't get me wrong, it is a good program with over 150 quests.
similarities are strong. there is a stamp in the box and a logbook. a few questers have signature stamps, many do not. the places quests are planted are focused on the heritage of the area.
to make my rambling short questing is a program that uses volunteers to monitor the condition of the boxes and to ensure the information on the quest clues as to directions and the educational aspect such as history and location of the box is correct. that is the main difference.
smile
Local Craft Store Inventory
Dec 14, 2015 11:41am
Thread
Lowe's lets you check the local store inventory to see if what you want is available at your local store. One of the Lowe's associates showed me how to do it when I noted their lack of inventory in a certain section relative to another of their stores. I can actually check the number in inventory at a particular store.

I'm wondering if I can do that with any of the craft stores before I go. We have Benion Craft, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's and Michael's locally.
Reply to: #916005 by uneksia
Dec 14, 2015 12:57pm
Thread
The kids come up with some very clever poem clues for their Valley Quest boxes.
Re: Local Craft Store Inventory
Reply to: #916029 by Oberon_Kenobi
Dec 14, 2015 2:10pm
Thread
I've only seen that feature at Lowes and Home Depot. It awesome, even tells you what aisle and shelf it's in!
Reply to: #916003 by uneksia
Dec 14, 2015 3:27pm
Thread
BotW - Box of the Week
PD - purple diamond

Look at the BotW widget on your AQ My Page each week to see who was awarded the recognition during the past week. Check out the Help page for more details.

Peace
CTEE
Reply to: #916043 by CTEagleEye
Dec 14, 2015 6:58pm
Thread
ahh... no wonder i was lost. i never pay attention to those things. in my world every letterbox is a diamond. and everyone of giddy's boxes are special.
smile
2016 Calendar - did I miss it?
Dec 17, 2015 3:35pm
Thread
Somehow November flew by and I didn't get my order for calendars in this year. I hunted all over AQ, but I fear they have been sold out. Am I right?
Re: 2016 Calendar - did I miss it?
Reply to: #916185 by speedsquare
Dec 17, 2015 3:52pm
Thread
didn't get my order for calendars in this year

Did you try clicking on the heading "Marketplace" then from the drop down menu pick "Project X". I believe you can order them there.
Reply to: #916189 by Elle
Dec 17, 2015 4:22pm
Thread
I found it! I didn't look far enough the first time on Project X. When I saw "while supplies last" and didn't see it on the AQ marketplace, I incorrectly assumed they were sold out. Just placed an order, just in time for Christmas. Thanks for nudging me to look further.
Reply to: #916192 by speedsquare
Dec 17, 2015 5:36pm
Thread
I incorrectly assumed they were sold out.

You aren't entirely wrong about that.... I'm out of calendars, so I am sold out and that's why they're no longer in the AQ Marketplace. But you can still buy them from the source at Lulu, and since those are made on demand, they'll never "run out." =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #916197 by Green Tortuga
Dec 17, 2015 6:52pm
Thread
Just glad I still had a chance. My collection would be incomplete if I missed one year.
Reply to: #916204 by speedsquare
Dec 17, 2015 9:06pm
Thread
My collection would be incomplete if I missed one year.

You collect them?! Does that mean you have all of them? I don't even have all of them! =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #916207 by Green Tortuga
Dec 17, 2015 10:08pm
Thread
My collection would be incomplete if I missed one year.

You collect them?! Does that mean you have all of them? I don't even have all of them!

Wait, they CHANGE every year? But I keep using the same one! Hmmmmm... this might explain a lot of my missed appointments.
Re: Finding challenging old boxes
Reply to: #915981 by Rocklun
Dec 18, 2015 5:45pm
Thread
One of my happiest days in boxing was finding a 2000 Drew Family box this January. What a beautiful spot they chose, and the box was in good shape. The one I found was box 1 of their Wine Country series. So glad to have found it. -- wt
Star Wars Event in conjunction with Star Wars VII Release
Dec 19, 2015 5:27pm
Thread
Awesome weekend. I'm worn out i can only imagine how the organizers feel. Kudos to all those who works so hard to make this weekend a success. My only complaint is that there was SO MUCH that it was hard to choose ox or talk. The weather was mostly kind compared to what was forecast. Thank you Boise gang.
Re: Star Wars Event in conjunction with Star Wars VII Release
Reply to: #916273 by Baqash
Dec 19, 2015 6:13pm
Thread
Wish I could've made it!!! Sounds like fun!
Re: Star Wars Event in conjunction with Star Wars VII Release
Reply to: #916273 by Baqash
Dec 20, 2015 12:05pm
Thread
Adding my THANKS for the marvelous weekend. Kelly Squared, you are the real deal to pull off such an awesome event! Details, details and yet more details - just amazing! And thanks, too, to the many others who contributed to ensure that everything happened just right. It could not have been any better. I hope the travelers got home safely. Happy Holidays to all!
Feeling really stupid, more than usual if that's possible!
Dec 20, 2015 7:21pm
Thread
So I'm in the DC area (have been the past month) and will be until late March with my husband who's active duty. I'll be traveling home and back a couple times until then. But since I've been here I've been having difficulty finding boxes on AQ and on my box app. It's like I'm in the Bermuda Triangle! One minute I can see VA boxes but not MD, then DC boxes seem blacked out. I know it's me, but any shortcut on an aerial search that has no state or territorial borders? I'm used to being and looking stupid, but it's really confusing me.
Re: box that requires following a map
Reply to: #915839 by Baqash
Dec 20, 2015 9:50pm
Thread
Yes. There's a pirate map stamp floating around in Southern Washington.
Re: box that requires following a map
Reply to: #915852 by Baqash
Dec 20, 2015 9:51pm
Thread
There's also a mystery box in Northern Oregon that uses a map.
Re: Feeling really stupid, more than usual if that's possible!
Reply to: #916311 by Raven
Dec 21, 2015 5:46am
Thread
I've been having similar problems with Box Radar in the DC/MD/VA area for the past few months, and I haven't been able to fix it. But searches on AQ have worked fine for me. On AQ, are you doing a city search or advanced search? I've found city search works best for me. Are you using a large enough search radius?
Dec 21, 2015 7:18am
Thread
I have Clue Tracker. While it usually works well, there are times that I know it is not listing boxes that are nearby. AQ city searches generally work very well in the DMV, but there are certain towns along the Potomac that bring back far more results in the neighboring jurisdictions (just across the river) than in the state you are searching. For instance, a search on Great Falls or Poolesville in MD will bring you many more boxes in VA....and while only a few miles away, there is no way to get to them very easily. Searches on Potomac and Bethesda can have some similar results. Hope this helps.
Dec 21, 2015 8:15am
Thread
Do you have BR set up to save box clues for viewing when you're offline? That might be a good idea. Then, when you're online, you can zoom and pan around between DC and Virginia and Maryland until it finds and loads every available box in the area, and once it has them it should have them for good.
Reply to: #916320 by Hiking Vikings
Dec 21, 2015 11:03am
Thread
In Clue Tracker, are you logged into the sites (Settings tab)? If you are logged in, you will get more boxes (50 or 100) than if you are not logged in (only 25).

In metro areas you probably should start with a small search radius (5-10 miles or even less). If there are many boxes in an area, using a large search radius will leave a hole in the middle (you might get boxes that are 8-17 miles away but not any closer than 8 miles).
Reply to: #916317 by Rebiccola
Dec 21, 2015 4:38pm
Thread
Since I got an android and switched to box radar, it crashes as soon as I open it. :( I miss having an app.
BUSY!
Dec 21, 2015 8:56pm
Thread
I've been busy tonight! I've posted 2 postal singles and 2 inchie swaps! It's 11:55pm here - too late to carve?!