Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Bonus Boxes
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Apr 18, 2015 8:25pm
Thread
I have missed several bonus boxes because I keep forgetting to check the front and back pages of logbooks and to look for any inserts in boxes so I planted one to help remind me.

The host box has been found several times but the bonus has never been found and I still keep forgetting to check for them.
Re: Bonus Boxes
Reply to: #895684 by Scooters Mom
Apr 19, 2015 3:58am
Thread
Boxers have missed my bonuses quite offen....part of the hunt :)
Reply to: #895698 by DeeCee
Apr 19, 2015 7:44am
Thread
I have several bonuses out there. They run anywhere from 10 - 50% being found, depending on where in the box I have put the clue.
Apr 19, 2015 8:26am
Thread
I usually hint in the clue to look for a bonus, because I do want them found. They still don't always get found. And most of the time, people don't know how to log them.

I admit I hardly ever look through the logbooks for bonuses. Usually because I'm being swarmed by mosquitoes.
Re: F1000 Merit Badge
Reply to: #895373 by Baqash
Apr 19, 2015 9:29am
Thread
And the randomly drawn winner is
Please aq mail me you snail mail address.

baqash
Apr 19, 2015 10:36am
Thread
I don't make it a habit to look through the pages or in the box for a bonus box clue unless it is specifically stated in the main clue. I out with my 2 year old, and that lends itself to rather hasty stamp ins before he decides to run off and hide because panicking mummy is hilarious. Jerk face toddler.

Also, most of the boxes I've been to since starting a few months ago have had fairly beat up log books. Loose pages, damp, etc. That also doesn't lend itself to wanting to search page by page for the bonus clue either.
Reply to: #895720 by Boxer Lover47
Apr 19, 2015 12:05pm
Thread
Sometimes people find the bonuses but don't log the finds online. I try to log the ones I find, but sometimes I just can't find the box listing on AQ.
Reply to: #895728 by Baqash
Apr 19, 2015 12:18pm
Thread
Who is it?
Reply to: #895728 by Baqash
Apr 19, 2015 12:44pm
Thread
hmmm I know i typed the name it. darned computer deleted it somehow. TOPCOLLECTOR.
thanks for pointing that out.
Reply to: #895739 by Intrinsically Knotted
Apr 19, 2015 12:59pm
Thread
Sometimes people find the bonuses but don't log the finds online.

I've noticed that, too, when I check on the boxes and find more entries in the log books than are recorded online. When that happens, I AQmail the finder with the box number/name to log. They may still not log, but that is their choice.

The bonus will show up in a search after the parent box is logged, so someone might notice the new listing available for their next outing.

Sometimes with others, I will point out they might have missed something. Some have gone back - and probably are more careful to look in the future. Sort of a lesson taught/learned.

I try to log the ones I find, but sometimes I just can't find the box listing on AQ.

I would hope the planter wouldn't mind if you ask for the box name/number so you can log it.
Apr 20, 2015 6:19am
Thread
Almost all of my bonus clues are on a separate piece of paper that's labeled something like "BONUS CLUE." When I plant the series, I bring a piece of clear contact paper and scissors with me so that I can laminate the bonus clue after I figure out the location of the bonus box. I leave the clue in the box with the logbook and stamp.

This technique results in a near 100% find rate, which works for me, since I want people to find the bonus (especially since I tend to plant on longer hikes that people might not return to). :^)
Reply to: #895726 by FloridaFour
Apr 20, 2015 1:44pm
Thread
I usually hint in the clue to look for a bonus, because I do want them found.

Good idea. I had put the clues to it on the inside of the back cover. I need to add something to the clue to hint that it's there.

We did go back and get the bonus that we had missed and discovered when logging our finds for the day. I just had to finish the series and it was very close to home. And it was sunny for a few hours this morning before the storms blew in again!
Reply to: #895937 by Scooters Mom
Apr 20, 2015 3:18pm
Thread
I have several bonuses out there. They run anywhere from 10 - 50% being found, depending on where in the box I have put the clue.

I had put the clues to it on the inside of the back cover.

Yes, that's where the 10% (or less) comes in. Most folks won't look that far back. Even more evil is hiding the bonus box clue somewhere in the middle of the log book camouflaged among the sig stamp-ins.
Chat rooms...
Apr 20, 2015 4:48pm
Thread
Okay...maybe I just miss the days of AOL(pronounced AOHell)...but I see that there are chat rooms available. Does no one use them? When I go in to one...I'm alone. OhSoAlone.
Am I the only one that goes in a "room"?
Re: Chat rooms...
Reply to: #895975 by SnakeDoctor
Apr 20, 2015 5:12pm
Thread
I believe the thinking is that you get a group of people and then all agree to go to the chat rooms and talk. I don't think it's like the AOL rooms where there were always people there.
Apr 20, 2015 5:14pm
Thread
I brought this subject up a few weeks ago. I've been trying to get in there more myself. I have had some great conversations in there too, when others have joined in. Just hang out in there a while. I also open up another tab and browse AQ in that while I'm waiting. Or while binge watching Good Eats, as I've been doing lately. (I'm on my second go-around. ;)
Reply to: #895984 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Apr 20, 2015 5:18pm
Thread
I've been trying to get in there more myself. I have had some great conversations in there too, when others have joined in. Just hang out in there a while.

I've been in there a few times lately. I've had some good conversations too. Unfortunately, no one else has been in there while I've been in there.
Kraft macaroni and cheese
Apr 20, 2015 6:40pm
Thread
Kraft is slated to rid our favorite comfort food of unnatural food dyes that have made it the brilliant hue we are all used to. Several trail names and several boxes have macaroni as their theme. When Kraft changes the color of its macaroni, a new generation will have to find new uses for their neon orange ink-pads. I hope to God, no one dares mess with the formula of Cheetos or think of the chaos that will ensue in the letterboxing palette and palate.
Re: Kraft macaroni and cheese
Reply to: #895993 by Wronghat
Apr 20, 2015 6:45pm
Thread
My first thought upon hearing this news earlier today was "But what if the dye is what makes it taste good?"

I realize this is kind of terrible and I should just be happy that Kraft will be putting less unnatural chemicals in its food. But what if the dye IS what makes it taste good? And you will still need to use dihydrogen monoxide to prepare it so you can never get rid of the chemicals entirely.
Reply to: #895994 by Shazbot
Apr 20, 2015 7:02pm
Thread
dihydrogen monoxide

You had me at dihydrogen.
Apr 20, 2015 7:13pm
Thread
Crayola will have to change its colored crayon.
Apr 20, 2015 8:06pm
Thread
Too late. Even worse, they're waaaay better than regular ones, too.
Reply to: #896019 by Wry Me
Apr 20, 2015 8:08pm
Thread
What a hideous color! They're like zombie cheetos.
Apr 20, 2015 8:25pm
Thread
I feel like the old woman or old man we all grew up with that said...hey I walked uphill TO and FROM school...hey we never used a safety belt when we grew up and we were okay...hey I chewed on lead filled paint pencils and I'm okay...
We have generations that have eaten Mac N Cheese...and we turned out okay (?????)
We can't have LIQUID GOLD if it's LIQUID ________ fill in the blank with the color that it's going to be.
Just sayin'.
Reply to: #895984 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Apr 20, 2015 8:37pm
Thread
Or while binge watching Good Eats....I'm on my second go-around

Is that anything like a second helping? I hope you're not spoiling your dinner!

IrishInks
;)
Reply to: #896022 by IrishInks
Apr 20, 2015 8:41pm
Thread
No, I'm trying to improve dinner! Besides, Alton's quite the character. ;) Gotta love those belching yeast...
Reply to: #896020 by Wronghat
Apr 20, 2015 8:47pm
Thread
Not to worry. They are still jam-packed with "all-natural" disodium phosphate and yummy maltodextrin. so very addictive.
Reply to: #896023 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Apr 20, 2015 8:50pm
Thread
No, I'm trying to improve dinner! Besides, Alton's quite the character. ;) Gotta love those belching yeast...

I always told my students it was fungus farts. Then we used it to make bread and slathered it with bee vomit. I think I justified this as a "science lesson." We also made s'mores in solar cookers and made a thermometer explode. And they didn't believe me that we could boil water with a pizza box and aluminum foil. Good times.
Apr 20, 2015 8:53pm
Thread
Welp...I gave it a go. No one showed up. Guess they heard I was coming and ran away! :)
Reply to: #896026 by SnakeDoctor
Apr 20, 2015 8:58pm
Thread
Sometimes it just takes a little while. I was in there earlier, and I'll keep an eye out for you in the future. ;)