A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Friday Distraction - 11/28/14
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #878337 by Jiffy
Nov 28, 2014 1:50pm
Thread
Just a few weeks ago, I started making LTCs, so that will be my cold-weather letterboxing task. I'm hoping some of the stamps I carve for that will be ones that I can find good hiding spots for in the spring, too.
Nov 28, 2014 2:01pm
Thread
What is this cold weather thing you speak of???

I'm going to be busy planting a bunch of boxes, and hoping to break 500 finds!

In summer I will do a few ltcs and postcards when it is too hot and buggy.

I may premake some logbooks, too.
Reply to: #878339 by FloridaFour
Nov 28, 2014 2:07pm
Thread
Now you're just being mean.
Reply to: #878340 by Penfeather
Nov 28, 2014 2:23pm
Thread
Lol, I lived in northern Michigan and western New York for 20 years. I've had my share of popsicle toes. :). But truly the Florida summer is oppressive, so I consider that my yuck weather season. Minus shoveling, of course!
Nov 28, 2014 2:38pm
Thread
I continue to letterbox until there's enough snow on the ground that landmarks are obscured and boxes become too difficult to find. After that, I try to plant a few snow-friendly boxes (for example, this) to get exercise and to give other people a chance to get some exercise while boxing. There are some other local folks who plant snow-friendly boxes, too, for which I am very thankful! :^)

I also make a lot more LTCs in the winter months, since I can't go out for a walk in the evening.
Nov 28, 2014 3:15pm
Thread
I carve like a mad scientist, attempting to make life out of vermicelli.
Nov 28, 2014 4:53pm
Thread
I carve until my hand falls off ;) Ive gotta invest in a bionic one...
Nov 28, 2014 5:34pm
Thread
I gotta admit, although I don't usually have much to say about this Friday Distractions, I sure do look forward to seeing what the next one will be each week and reading the replies! =)

But since I'm replying to this message anyhow.... I may as well answer the question. I typically spent more time working on AQ during the winter months than I do during the summer months! Of course, I also spent a lot more time hiking in the summer months (where letterboxes are few and far between) and I'm not exactly sure that I do "less" letterboxing in the winter months.

But less time on the trail means more time on the computer--working on AQ! Speaking of which, there's a another Big Update imminent. I might be ready to go live with it later tonight, but if not, it'll almost certainly go up tomorrow.

And there's more Big Update ideas bouncing around in my little brain as well.... =)

I keep wishing I had more time to make LTCs. I really like to participate more with those, but it seems like I never have enough time to do any. Not even in the winter. I don't know how all of you folks with "real" jobs have time for it, but I'm envious!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #878354 by Green Tortuga
Nov 28, 2014 6:15pm
Thread
I keep wishing I had more time to make LTCs. I really like to participate more with those, but it seems like I never have enough time to do any. Not even in the winter. I don't know how all of you folks with "real" jobs have time for it, but I'm envious!

You just need to buckle down and make them. It would also help if you spent more time indoors. ;-) But I guess that all of your "indoor" time is spent on this web site. I'd rather have this web site working well than more LTCs.
Nov 28, 2014 6:56pm
Thread
What Letterboxing activites do you do during the winter months?

I like to think of "board snark" and "posting smartassery" as Letterboxing activities.
Reply to: #878355 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 28, 2014 7:52pm
Thread
I'd rather have this web site working well than more LTCs.

Clearly, you've never seen one of my LTCs.... ;o)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #878361 by Green Tortuga
Nov 28, 2014 9:44pm
Thread
I'd rather have this web site working well than more LTCs.

Clearly, you've never seen one of my LTCs.... ;o)

Without a working website how will we set up the trackers?

We could always have both, but if I had to choose then it would be this web site.
Reply to: #878368 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 28, 2014 11:42pm
Thread
Without a working website how will we set up the trackers?

How did things work before AQ had trackers? =)

Hmm.... The font in this box I type in has changed to a monospaced font. That's a little odd.... it wasn't supposed to change. *scratching head*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #878369 by Green Tortuga
Nov 28, 2014 11:52pm
Thread
Hmm.... The font in this box I type in has changed to a monospaced font. That's a little odd.... it wasn't supposed to change. *scratching head*

Wow.... that is really interesting! I once changed the text in textarea boxes to use a monospaced font so people could line up tables and such better when needed, but it was widely unpopular so I removed it.

In my updated CSS, I took out styles for textarea so the default fonts were used--which was a monospaced font in textareas! I had no idea that that was the default! So I manually added added back the non-monospaced font. But I think it's pretty interesting that the default was monospaced. (At least for Firefox, which was the browser I was using.)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #878370 by Green Tortuga
Nov 29, 2014 12:00am
Thread
just . . . huh????
Reply to: #878371 by Wise Wanderer
Nov 29, 2014 12:08am
Thread
just . . . huh????

There's nothing to see here anymore. Move along. *waving hands in air* =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #878344 by Rocklun
Nov 29, 2014 5:17am
Thread
Now a snowbird in Florida, although no snow I have to travel faaaar to find a box. Last time out searched for 5, found only one. RI was a great place to 'box',
never had to travel too far, and other states were close as well. But winter was really tough. Indoor boxes were such a life saver. So no matter where one lives there are plusses and minuses.
Nov 29, 2014 9:18am
Thread

Head south to where boxes aren't frozen in.
Nov 29, 2014 1:45pm
Thread
I haven't kept up with all of the northeast weather but lots of areas here in New York haven't gotten a lot of snow yet.

I continue boxing during the winter if snow isn't deep and there is nothing wet and nasty coming down. I'll box outside if it's not bitterly cold.

There are several winter boxing events scheduled in different states.

I don't believe Connecticut has gotten significant snow yet and tomorrow it will be in sunny and in the 50s.

Box on!

MM
Reply to: #878434 by MissMoon
Nov 29, 2014 6:42pm
Thread
I don't believe Connecticut has gotten significant snow yet and tomorrow it will be in sunny and in the 50s.

We don't have much snow here in Utah right now. I just went geocaching in the foothills (of the mountains) today, but the snow level is quite a ways up the mountain. We've had highs in the 50s here too. Come to Utah to box!
Reply to: #878459 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 29, 2014 6:46pm
Thread
Or California! No snow where I live! Come visit!
Nov 30, 2014 2:23am
Thread
Gotta agree with FloridaFour: Being a Floridian, my plans for the winter months are to go boxing! It's waaaay too hot in the summer, even when I travel to Ohio or some such. Gotta get up into the mountains before the weather is acceptable for being outdoors in the summer. But here in FL it gets chilly, but no snow, so just put on a couple of layers of clothing and hit the trails.

After SWMBO retires from schoolteaching June 2015, I hope to do more travelling and boxing in spring and fall.
Reply to: #878472 by Kirbert
Nov 30, 2014 8:55am
Thread
Being a Floridian, my plans for the winter months are to go boxing! It's waaaay too hot

I've been to Orlando in August. It's hot AND humid. I'm glad that the hotel and car both had air-conditioning.
Reply to: #878493 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 30, 2014 11:24am
Thread
I've been to Orlando in August.

Yeah, that's a tactical error. Having lived in Orlando, I can report that it's arguably the most miserably hot and humid city in the US. If you've gotta be in Florida in the summer, it's a far better idea to be near the coast where you can benefit from some ocean breezes. Orlando is too far from the coast for any breeze, but still typically 70+% humidity.
Reply to: #878508 by Kirbert
Nov 30, 2014 1:34pm
Thread
I've been to Orlando in August.

Yeah, that's a tactical error.

It was an IT conference. The organizers saw cheap rates there and then. They haven't had it there since.
Nov 30, 2014 3:09pm
Thread

i drive to FL where i can letterbox.

~tigs
Reply to: #878508 by Kirbert
Nov 30, 2014 6:20pm
Thread
Yeah, that's a tactical error

As another life long Floridian, I can attest to that! An ex thought he was being sweet and got us tickets to Disney in late July. While it was fun, I'll never do those parks in the summer again (though this weekend did involve me wearing my Slytherin scarf, a sweatshirt, and the hated closed in shoes with heavy socks for my visit to MGM, MK, and Epcot for a drink; at least there was no cold rain like last month!)

This winter I'll be cursing the lack of south Florida boxes, carving, and, in general, wishing I could afford a road trip up the east coast in the spring to box. Of course, this all will commence once I have a floor in my room, all my stuff back into said room and out of the rest of the house and can have the craft/kitchen table back and free of stuff.

I will say, I enjoy not having to run the AC this time of year. :)
How much to ship a stamp?
Dec 1, 2014 6:10am
Thread
I am donating a stamp 2x3 inches. Going to send it in a non-bubble yellow envelope. How many stamps should I slap on that?
Re: How much to ship a stamp?
Reply to: #878622 by crosscresent
Dec 1, 2014 6:13am
Thread
Eliminate the hassle of insufficient postage and take to PO to have it weighed IMO
Re: How much to ship a stamp?
Reply to: #878622 by crosscresent
Dec 1, 2014 6:19am
Thread
Thickness counts too. I taped down the patches I sent out so they wouldn't bunch up and require additional postage.