Skip to Content
Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: The Original Goonies -- Does anybody know them?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #878057 by Ralph Spoilsport
Nov 25, 2014 11:52am
Thread
That's only been two weeks

That was my first thought also. They could be on vacation or just busy with holiday prep. Two weeks is a very short time to stay off AQ.
Reply to: #878058 by Janila
Nov 25, 2014 1:13pm
Thread
Two weeks is a very short time to stay off AQ.

Sure, for normal people. The longest stretch I'm off AQ is the 5 or 6 hours at night I spend sleeping.

K
Reply to: #878063 by Kelsung
Nov 25, 2014 1:19pm
Thread
The longest stretch I'm off AQ is the 5 or 6 hours at night I spend sleeping.

Slacker.
Nov 25, 2014 2:41pm
Thread
Would anybody be interested in an AtlasQuest alarm clock app that wakes you up anytime something new happens on AtlasQuest? ;-)

MMM
Reply to: #878071 by Mu
Nov 25, 2014 3:20pm
Thread
Maybe just an rss feed to my favorite boards. :)
Nov 25, 2014 6:35pm
Thread
Would anybody be interested in an AtlasQuest alarm clock app that wakes you up anytime something new happens on AtlasQuest? ;-)

You mean, like whenever Ryan breaks something? ;-)
Reply to: #878086 by Sheba
Nov 25, 2014 7:29pm
Thread
You mean, like whenever Ryan breaks something? ;-)

You gotta admit..... I've done a lot better about not breaking stuff the last few years than I did the first few years. Ever since I started creating unit tests for all of my new code, the reliability of AQ has increased dramatically! In years past, whenever I did a "big update," I'd prepare to get very little sleep and have enough food in the house for two days in case it took me that long to get everything straightened out again. It was very stressful.

Nowadays, I'll do absolutely gigantic updates and maybe get a few minor glitches that take people all day to find. =)

Of course, the downside is.... I can't rush in with a "hero complex" and spend two solid days living on caffeine and fixing all of the problems I created, but such is life. I'd rather live the stress-free life of everything running well! =)

-- Ryan
Nov 26, 2014 12:43am
Thread
It would have 12 markings around the face, and every one of them says "Time to go boxing!"
Reply to: #878092 by Green Tortuga
Nov 26, 2014 1:08am
Thread
My favorite "fix" of Ryan's when he was recalculating Blue Diamonds. He had all kind of colors of diamonds appearing everywhere. It was SO exciting! ;-)
Reply to: #878100 by storm rider
Nov 26, 2014 2:20am
Thread
My favorite "fix" of Ryan's when he was recalculating Blue Diamonds. He had all kind of colors of diamonds appearing everywhere.

You put "fix" in quotes so you obviously realize that wasn't actually a bug--just testing different algorithms! =)

-- Ryan
Nov 26, 2014 5:43am
Thread
My favorite "fix" of Ryan's when he was recalculating Blue Diamonds. He had all kind of colors of diamonds appearing everywhere.

It was the Lucky Charms Update. ;-)
Nov 26, 2014 7:29am
Thread
That's the same I thought!

If I'm ever away from AQ more than a day,
Please someone check on me- because something will be wrong.
Reply to: #878092 by Green Tortuga
Nov 26, 2014 9:39am
Thread
I can't rush in with a "hero complex"

Ah, Ryan, you're getting old!
Reply to: #878042 by RDHG
Nov 26, 2014 10:21am
Thread
I know them. They aren't online a lot. I will msg them on facebook and maybe one of them will see it. They have a new baby, and probably a lot less time for letterboxing these days.
Reply to: #878135 by frykitty
Nov 26, 2014 12:55pm
Thread
Thank you, frykitty. :-)
Reply to: #878101 by Green Tortuga
Nov 26, 2014 6:38pm
Thread
Yes, I realized it wasn't a bug, but it was my most favorite thing!! My logbook looked so exciting...*sigh*
Easier to use on iPad
Nov 26, 2014 8:17pm
Thank you!

I noticed today that the page set up is the same on my iPad as my computer. Don't know exactly what changed, but thanks.
Nov 28, 2014 6:40am
Thread
I don't remember this!
Just to say Hi
Nov 28, 2014 9:33am
Thread
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.
I am trying to collect person stamps from all of letterboxing people. I Love all the different stamps I have seen when I find boxs. So please could all of you send me a copie of your personal stamp. So far I have 15 and from Mich. I would really like to see how many I can collect. Please help
Re: Just to say Hi
Reply to: #878325 by Bear n Honey
Nov 28, 2014 10:14am
Thread
Happy Day after!

If you click on my profile, you can see our sig stamp, and you're most welcome to print it out. AQ me with your address if you'd like to get it in the mail.

I've just started getting postals. That's a way to see other folks' sig stamps, besides getting a cool carve to add to my collection.
Re: Just to say Hi
Reply to: #878325 by Bear n Honey
Nov 28, 2014 10:42am
Thread
The best way to collect stamps from people is to go to events and exchage sig stamps with the other attendees...not only will you have their trail stamp images, but a face to go along with it! And meeting new friends in the hobby really is awesome!
Friday Distraction - 11/28/14
Nov 28, 2014 1:41pm
Thread
Now that snow has been dumped across the entire Northeast, and most outdoor boxing will be suspended, it's time to start planning for next year's activities.

What Letterboxing activites do you do during the winter months?

Jiffy
Re: Friday Distraction - 11/28/14
Reply to: #878337 by Jiffy
Nov 28, 2014 1:50pm
Thread
Just a few weeks ago, I started making LTCs, so that will be my cold-weather letterboxing task. I'm hoping some of the stamps I carve for that will be ones that I can find good hiding spots for in the spring, too.
Nov 28, 2014 2:01pm
Thread
What is this cold weather thing you speak of???

I'm going to be busy planting a bunch of boxes, and hoping to break 500 finds!

In summer I will do a few ltcs and postcards when it is too hot and buggy.

I may premake some logbooks, too.
Reply to: #878339 by FloridaFour
Nov 28, 2014 2:07pm
Thread
Now you're just being mean.
Reply to: #878340 by Penfeather
Nov 28, 2014 2:23pm
Thread
Lol, I lived in northern Michigan and western New York for 20 years. I've had my share of popsicle toes. :). But truly the Florida summer is oppressive, so I consider that my yuck weather season. Minus shoveling, of course!
Nov 28, 2014 2:38pm
Thread
I continue to letterbox until there's enough snow on the ground that landmarks are obscured and boxes become too difficult to find. After that, I try to plant a few snow-friendly boxes (for example, this) to get exercise and to give other people a chance to get some exercise while boxing. There are some other local folks who plant snow-friendly boxes, too, for which I am very thankful! :^)

I also make a lot more LTCs in the winter months, since I can't go out for a walk in the evening.
Nov 28, 2014 3:15pm
Thread
I carve like a mad scientist, attempting to make life out of vermicelli.
Nov 28, 2014 4:53pm
Thread
I carve until my hand falls off ;) Ive gotta invest in a bionic one...
Nov 28, 2014 5:34pm
Thread
I gotta admit, although I don't usually have much to say about this Friday Distractions, I sure do look forward to seeing what the next one will be each week and reading the replies! =)

But since I'm replying to this message anyhow.... I may as well answer the question. I typically spent more time working on AQ during the winter months than I do during the summer months! Of course, I also spent a lot more time hiking in the summer months (where letterboxes are few and far between) and I'm not exactly sure that I do "less" letterboxing in the winter months.

But less time on the trail means more time on the computer--working on AQ! Speaking of which, there's a another Big Update imminent. I might be ready to go live with it later tonight, but if not, it'll almost certainly go up tomorrow.

And there's more Big Update ideas bouncing around in my little brain as well.... =)

I keep wishing I had more time to make LTCs. I really like to participate more with those, but it seems like I never have enough time to do any. Not even in the winter. I don't know how all of you folks with "real" jobs have time for it, but I'm envious!

-- Ryan