Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Can't find a thread
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #845695 by Topcollector
May 10, 2014 7:56pm
Thread
I just accidentally deleted a thread

Click on the word Boards in the tabs along the top or bottom of the page (not the dropdown) and you'll get this page:

http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/

At the bottom of the page is:
Ignored Threads
View a list of all of the threads you've ignored recently

From the list you can unignore a thread.
Re: Etiquette at events
Reply to: #845701 by Colorful Caterpillars
May 10, 2014 8:03pm
Thread
I have dishwater blonde hair and it will be in a ponytail.

well, it will be in a ponytail, but it's not "dishwater blonde" - it's more of a kind of honey chestnut. It's really quite nice hair - as is the person under it. . .

~tigs
Re: Prepare Yourself
Reply to: #845719 by Morgen Family Hunters
May 10, 2014 8:05pm
Thread
there was an event about this: i think it was called something like "Come to the Dark Side - We Have Cookies" - i do believe it was Red Cruzader's event.

Perhaps this Eevil has had a few too many cookies???

~tigs the curious cat
Reply to: #845725 by Bubbaloo Magoo
May 10, 2014 8:39pm
Thread
State that in the clue, and even in the synopsis too

I put that in the "notes" section, too. So when I print up my Event Checklist, the note prints, too. I would never turn down an opportunity to get out on the trail with someone either! If I want to letterbox alone, I can do that at home!

BTW, just in case folks haven't thought of this: when I am researching the PTs for an event, I write "notes" for EVERY PT. The note will be either: "JUST ASK" or the answer to the question you have to research to get the PT. Then I only print the Event Checklist NOT all the clues to the PTs. It saves alot of paper that way.
Reply to: #845760 by Oberon_Kenobi
May 10, 2014 8:50pm
Thread
I only had to worry about those from out of town.

SILO was in northern IL where I am from, so it was going home, but I had never met nor boxed with any of the boxers up there. I had been conversing with many of them before the event, so when I got there, I had to make a point of meeting them in person. So, except for the 3 boxers with whom I attended, all of the participants were "from out of town"

Plus, this was an "all event boxes" event inside a restaurant with 80 boxers. It was CRAZY fun! I counted the boxes I did NOT get a chance to get stamped: 64!! But, I would not change a thing I did, because I really enjoyed meeting all those folks from my "home state".
Reply to: #845770 by tiggermama
May 10, 2014 8:52pm
Thread
Aaaw, shucks, Tigs. Thanks.

Hmmmm........ I have referred to my hair as 'dishwater blonde' all my life.
Reply to: #845765 by Lovebirds-NC
May 10, 2014 8:52pm
Thread
BUMMER!
Reply to: #845782 by Colorful Caterpillars
May 11, 2014 3:59am
Thread
That's me.... dishwater blonde
Re: Postage question
Reply to: #844018 by Sudoku Crazy
May 11, 2014 3:48pm
Thread
I shred it and put it in the compost bin.

I take a black magic marker to all address info and reuse the envelope. It looks messy, but works. REUSE, i say ;)
Reply to: #845630 by Eevil
May 11, 2014 7:44pm
Thread
Come on...where is Dr. Horrible!? At the very least, you could have included Bad Horse? I'm not sure how evil this league is.
Re: Lyme Disease
Reply to: #845379 by Bubbaloo Magoo
May 11, 2014 9:02pm
Thread
A rather inappropriate post considered the subject.

Doublesaj and Old Blue
Reply to: #845361 by Yosemite MJD
May 11, 2014 9:36pm
Thread
Good post Yosemite. The bad new for us west-coaster is that now its not just deer tick, but also very common ticks are being found carrying the lyme bacteria. These being the Western Black Legged tick and the Pacific Coast tick.

Old Blue
Reply to: #845630 by Eevil
May 11, 2014 9:46pm
Thread
Those are all of my heros... who are you??

Red John
DeLorme Map Book
May 11, 2014 10:41pm
Thread
I have one box listed as a mystery, a "state mystery" because you know the state but not the town. The clues refer to a particular page of a DeLorme map book, which used to be de rigeur for navigating the smaller roads you have to travel to find letterboxes; I kinda presumed almost everyone had one. Unfortunately, fewer and fewer people use DeLorme map books any more, and I'd hate to have to require a finder to find one (they're increasingly difficult to find) and shell out $20 or so just to find my box.

Do you think I should revise the clues? Hit [Agree] if the clues should be changed, [Disagree] if I should leave them as is.
Re: DeLorme Map Book
Reply to: #845978 by Kirbert
May 11, 2014 10:50pm
Thread
How old is this box? If it has been around for years, I say leave it be. Part of the fun of trying to find older boxes is working out the way things were when the box was planted. Information changes, landmarks come and go, plants grow larger. Clever and determined finders do research before setting out.

K
Reply to: #845979 by Kelsung
May 12, 2014 12:41am
Thread
Planted in 2010. For all I know, I'm the last person on Earth to give up on DeLorme in favor of a tablet or smartphone; I do tend to lag the curve in such matters. I think the box has only been found twice, perhaps indicating how few people have DeLorme map books.
Reply to: #845979 by Kelsung
May 12, 2014 12:45am
Thread
And that link would be no help at all in figuring out this clue. You'd have to go to this page:

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10096&minisite=10020

...and spend $19.95.
Reply to: #845966 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
May 12, 2014 2:23am
Thread
A rather inappropriate post considered the subject.

Umm . . . it was a joke? Dark humor, ya know.
May 12, 2014 2:40am
Thread
I don't know. I think it'd be kind of fun to hunt down a DeLorme to find one of your boxes. There's used book stores and amazon has used copies for $8 with shipping. That's like paying a park entrance fee. Your stamps are worth the effort and I personally enjoy atlases over a gps. I still use one to see where I am on roadtrips rather than just watch the boring gps, but I have no idea what brand it is. I'd leave it as is.
May 12, 2014 3:00am
Thread
I'm a paper map person and own several DeLorme books.
I like seeing the total area, not just the several miles around where I am according to a GPS.
That said, could you revise the clues to fit something found on-line?
May 12, 2014 4:13am
Thread
You'll get more finders if you don't require the use of the DeLorme map book, so if that's important to you, I'd recommend revising the clues.
Reply to: #845998 by Rocklun
May 12, 2014 4:35am
Thread
You'll get more finders if you don't require the use of the DeLorme map book

I agree with Rocklun.
My thoughts: DeLorme? never heard of it. OH, he means a gazetteer. I know what that is!
May 12, 2014 4:55am
Thread
When you said Delorme, I thought you were talking about GPS maps. Because that's all I know of them. I haven't bought a map book since 1993, when I drove across the country. Now I use GPS, and small local maps I usually download for free.

I don't get around enough to look for used map books, and I wouldn't pay $20. But then again, I still have a ton more of your boxes to find. :)
Reply to: #845983 by Kirbert
May 12, 2014 5:05am
Thread
i think it has more to do with boxers not being in the area, rather than the clue or the map.

~tigs
Reply to: #845984 by Kirbert
May 12, 2014 5:48am
Thread
or find a kindly librarian or small books store owner willing to look up the info and send it to you. I did that with a clue on a different box. I needed information on a certain page of a book that may or may not be available in the library when you went to find a box. since it was a hundreds of miles from home I did extensive correspondence research before going. I would say it changing the clue depends on how often you want it to be found. You are right that the scarcity of the book will make finds less and less likely as time passes. I still have a map book, but it is not a DeLorme. It is a trucker's atlas and it gives me warning of roads and bridges that might not be appropriate for my rolling home when I move it down the way.
May 12, 2014 6:17am
Thread
I didn't realize that letterboxing required everything to be easier for folks. Sometimes research and leg work is good for people. Put down the smartphones people - they are making you dumb.

my 2 cents on a Monday morning...
Reply to: #845984 by Kirbert
May 12, 2014 6:20am
Thread
I realize that particular link wouldn't help. I was just pointing out that in the internet age, information CAN be found by those who know how to look.

K
Reply to: #846029 by Kelsung
May 12, 2014 6:48am
Thread
I was just pointing out that in the internet age, information CAN be found by those who know how to look.

Well, not always. In this case, it sounds as though you'd need to buy or borrow the map book to solve the mystery.

Southpaw and I worked on solving some old mysteries that told you to use an old, town-published trail guide to help solve the mysteries. The online links to this guide were broken, and hardcopy guides were no longer for sale. I even tried to buy a copy on eBay, but the seller decided to keep it.

We ended up going to the town's library, where they had ONE copy of the guide! We made a photocopy of it and then posted it online (as the original planters had done) so that future finders--particularly those who aren't from the area--could solve the mysteries, even if the lone hardcopy goes missing.

My point is that we couldn't have solved all of these old mysteries by searching online, because the necessary information was no longer there.
Reply to: #845986 by WiseOldOwl
May 12, 2014 10:50am
Thread
Umm . . . it was a joke? Dark humor, ya know.

Yah I knew it was a "joke". Guess I know too many people debilitated or dead from Lyme disease to find it funny.

Old Blue
Reply to: #846028 by mudflinginfools
May 12, 2014 12:07pm
Thread
I love the gazetteers! I have 5, and two for the home state because I forgot I had one already. Though I have a smart phone, I prefer paper maps. I think it gives me a better perspective. But I have been using them for years. How else can you find those way-out dots on the map where early ancestors roamed? Who wouldn't want to see a place called Slapout? Or learn of the history and demise of Hindustan?