May 1, 2014 8:16pm
Thread
That's brilliant, 55 steps!
Re: Reading about Postal Packages...
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #844276 by DustySandStorm
May 1, 2014 9:25pm
Thread
I will get with you at next meeting of great minds and settle the postage bill with you =P : name your poison to which we will drink to a creative solution's demise...lol

Yours truly, truly what the voice in my head have not told me.

I am so glad you enjoyed my little joke. Well, since the postage was a whopping $2.32 cents or something like that, give my 2 cents to the cacher in question and make sure they know not to put that crap in letterboxes. Oddly, they both claimed to be boxers.

Wry Me
keep the change

P.S. When it's my round, I'm only buying for one of you. :)
Re: Bomb scare....This one in Ohio rest area
Reply to: #844291 by Early Risers
May 1, 2014 9:27pm
Thread
And places like churches, schools, libraries,etc should pose no problem if the planter takes the time to get permission so that the powers-that-be know the box is there.

All it takes is one person who doesn't know what's going on, and in comes the bomb squad. Once they get wound up, almost nothing will wind them down.
Reply to: #844277 by KO
May 1, 2014 9:29pm
Thread
I understand the State Highwayman's concern, but "not to do this in a public place"?? Where does that leave us? - private property? Maybe the person who threw the package behind the tree needed to be a little more discreet, although you can't really see truckers if they're sitting in their cabs.

Thank goodness geocaching was named as the culprit, not us (wink, wink). :D

At last. An irrefutable argument for stealth. Neener neener.
Reply to: #844376 by Early Risers
May 1, 2014 11:00pm
Thread
We may not agree on some details, but I think we sit along the same spectrum. Intelligence, common sense, discretion and stealth are important parts of both planting and finding. Thank you for a well-thought-out and level-headed response.

K
Reply to: #844351 by Kelsung
May 2, 2014 5:15am
Thread
No I'm not kidding, I personally do not want to look suspicious close to a school. But that doesn't make me paranoid or scared of everything. I often hike miles of trails by myself.

By "close to a school" meant really up close , like the bushes lining the sidewalk, ect. A trail close to the school should be ok if planter uses good judgment.
I kid you not. :)
Reply to: #844290 by The Merry Pranksters
May 2, 2014 6:52am
Thread
Geocachers.......... Sheesh!

I've seen plenty of letterboxes that looked like bombs... and this can (should) be avoided. Don't camo your boxes, use clear containers so the contents can be seen. Or at least keep them small so they aren't threatening. Otherwise plant them in out-of-the-way locations, this is also a good strategy for a long lasting box.

Old Blue
Reply to: #844376 by Early Risers
May 2, 2014 7:45am
Thread
planting boxes in those types of places WITHOUT PERMISSION comes with risk.

From the geocaching forums regarding the Ohio incident:

"As Keystone pointed permission was obtained. This should highlight, underline, italicize, or what ever you want to do, that getting permission does not mean the bomb squad will not visit your cache. Getting permission simply means you had permission. The truck driver or the little old lady with a cell phone and some time on their hands and no knowledge of geocaching and first responders not knowing about geocaching trumps permission every time. "
Reply to: #844413 by Lone R
May 2, 2014 8:30am
Thread
I think intelligence and training has a lot to do with this also. I have had a bit of training with bombs, and also have a friend in the bomb squad that works for the PD. Even planting in the woods can scare someone, where do you think home grown terrorists test out their trials? People don't think about the other factors surrounding the item, and nor should they have to, that's what the professionals are for. Way to many people get upset saying what a waste of taxpayers money, but would you rather nothing be done and nobody take anything seriously? Quite a lot of intelligent officers and first responders know what a cache is, doesn't mean that a properly marked box of any kind is going to be less of an issue because of these loser terrorists that have nothing but time to come up with less suspicious looking items. I agree with the clear box method being a less scary way to go, but then you lose your camo. There really is no solution to this situation besides not planting/hunting. It's the world we live in now. And I pity the planter in this situation because they will probably be the ones hit with a felony and the throwing finder might never be found.

Even DH (also a cop) mentioned on this that it's funny that someone calls for this and yet a backpack on the side of the road across from a church is passed by for days. But seriously, even your overnighted fedex tax papers could be a bomb.
Reply to: #844277 by KO
May 2, 2014 8:56am
Thread
Thank goodness geocaching was named as the culprit, not us (wink, wink). :D

I know, right. I have some boxes hidden at rest stops. Sure don't want anything like this to happen.
Reply to: #844290 by The Merry Pranksters
May 2, 2014 9:06am
Thread
Geocaching is in a different situation than letterboxing. When you want to plant a letterbox anywhere outside of Connecticut, it's usually a pretty simple matter to find a suitable park to plant one in. Geocaching is so popular that they long ago established a rule that you couldn't plant a cache within 1/10 mile of an existing cache lest the world would end up buried in geocaches. If you want to plant a cache these days, finding a spot that isn't within 1/10 mile of an existing cache can be challenging! And clearly some of these cachers are so determined to plant that, once they find such a spot, they're gonna plant whether it's wise or not.

Enjoying geocaching is increasingly difficult. Pick any square mile, especially in a populated area, and you have to wade through a hundred worthless and stupid cache listings to find one or two that show any promise at all of being an interesting hide in an interesting location. The "power trails" were bad enough, where some dipstick would plant micros every 1/10 mile along some highway. Now they have "land wars" where groups compete to see which one can saturate the most land area at micros every 1/10 mile in every direction.
Reply to: #844262 by Three FLAmigo's
May 2, 2014 11:04am
Thread
I want to look at this from another angle. My hats off the the trucker who spotted the activity! Usually people are not paying attention and things happen right under our noses, he has taken the good Sam training to heart and followed threw.

As far as our part goes, I know I'm usually more concerned with who is looking while I'm hunting, we need to be just as stealthy (and comfortable/natural) while replacing the box. And of course, stay away from concerning areas like already listed.
Reply to: #844405 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
May 2, 2014 12:30pm
Thread
Gee with the total amount of crap, junk, jetsam and other assorted garbage that Joe Average dumps all over these rest stops, it's great to know that some eagle-eye has nothing better to do than look for kids or (whoever) throwing stuff behind trees.

Not condoning the cacher (or letterboxers for that matter - I've found boxes at rest stops in PA and NY hidden underneath SPORS in the open!) These places generally have TONS of neat hiding places that should be used first. And yes, clear, clearly-labelled containers would certainly have helped prevent this from happening yet again.
What are we doing wrong?! Attempts soon outnumbering finds.
May 3, 2014 3:49pm
Thread
We have been pretty active letterboxers since we were introduced to it last fall. We've officially found 55 boxes but our attempts are already at 23! So we've done the work for 78 boxes with only credit for 60% of them. :( When looking at more experienced LBer's counts, they have as many attempts as we do but have hundreds (if not more!) finds than we do!
Are we just picking old boxes? We don't give up easily when we know we're in the right spot. We have introduced a LOT of people to this truly addicting hobby and have started carving stamps of our own to start planting them too, but we feel awful when we've talked up this awesome hobby to our friends then take them out and can't find a single box! We had FIVE attempts today in the rain! (3 of them supposedly were planted this weekend with nothing there)
Are we the only ones? How do you get beyond the disappointment of coming up empty handed so many times?
Re: What are we doing wrong?! Attempts soon outnumbering finds.
Reply to: #844568 by The Balcom Clan
May 3, 2014 4:09pm
Thread
What you're describing certainly sounds discouraging. Have you contacted whoever it was that introduced you to boxing? It's hard for us to provide any suggestions on the specific boxes you sought since the logbook page on your profile for Attempts is not public. If you want to change that, go to the My Page menu and choose Preferences. Then under the Privacy heading, check off the Attempts to make that page public. Another idea is to reach out to the owner of the box and let them know where you were looking. They can typically give you guidance on where you may have strayed from the intended route. Thanks for reaching out for support and answers. We want to help.

Peace
CTEE
May 3, 2014 4:10pm
Thread
How are you choosing which boxes to search for? Do you make sure they're not listed as retired, unknown, or unavailable, and that their last find date isn't years and years old? Are you checking to see if they have several attempts on them since the most recent find? Certainly, old boxes that haven't been found in years are fun to find, but often they're gone. If you're seeking them, you have to be prepared for disappointment.

It also helps sometimes to read comments that others have put on the listing. A box may be missing, and you would only know that from the comments or from looking at the attempts--sometimes lost boxes don't get retired when they go missing.

Keep trying, but know what you're going for--and if it's a box that hasn't been found in years, with a couple of attempts on it, don't be disappointed if it isn't there--but relish the sense of accomplishment if it is!
May 3, 2014 4:14pm
Thread
How do you get beyond the disappointment of coming up empty handed so many times?

That happened to us too when we first started boxing - then we started paying attention to every aspect of the listing - when last found, if it has been found a lot, the comments (sometimes the clues haven't been updated), etc. which has helped us a lot.

Now, when we plan a boxing trip, it is mostly with "likely it will be there" with a few "might be gone" boxes. That way, we still find something by the end of the day, and don't feel disappointed.

I don't know what to say about the ones supposedly planted this weekend. Since it's raining, perhaps they weren't actually planted, and was listed prematurely? I would message the planter.

Good luck!
May 3, 2014 4:43pm
Thread
I don't count most of my attempts. I have to be very, very certain that I'm looking in exactly the right spot to count it as an attempt. Most clues have too much leeway for me to be certain enough to consider it an attempt.
May 3, 2014 5:44pm
Thread
I bet you the ones planted this weekend were: with someone in their car, being stamped.. nice and dry, or... were listed prematurely. That happened to me once on a 3 box series. I contacted the owner, and they said that hadn't planted it yet. Irritating, and I never went after the boxes again... that was a day with 7 failed attempts. One had been moved, one the clue wasn't very clear to me, and was required for the rest of the series. I spent my entire day looking, 2 hours driving, all for zero finds.

Now I look very carefully to see whether there has been recent finds, etc. Some boxes are missing, or have unclear clues. I catch on pretty quick, whose boxes I want to keep looking for, and whose are going to frustrate me.
May 3, 2014 7:26pm
Thread
This is pretty much what you have heard from others. I started with 2 older, unmaintained series. I loved the carver, so I kept going after her boxes. But so many were missing!

Now I always check:
1] Under Finds: When was it last found? 2 years ago? May be better to try elsewhere.
2] What did the last comment say? Stamp missing? Couldn't find it?
3] Look at the most recent few people, under Finds. Are there baseballs, showing strike-outs/misses?

But sorry to hear that new series wasn't really there! That WOULD be discouraging.
Reply to: #844318 by Trailhead Tessie
May 3, 2014 9:04pm
Thread
Nah. Those ones are so small and relatively easy to get with a small amount of stealth. They're not the problem here.
May 3, 2014 10:34pm
Thread
Seems likely that many people just don't prioritize logging attempts. I know I'm guilty. Since the ones I find are in my log book, it's easy to log them online, but I usually print off several pages of clues, and I forget to go back and log the ones we didn't find.

-TheKindlyVikings (Dad)
May 4, 2014 8:58am
Thread
Are we the only ones? How do you get beyond the disappointment of coming up empty handed so many times?

When I take newbies out, or my nieces especially, I try really hard to make sure to take them someplace I know we're likely to find them, or I take them to my own boxes. I can do maintenance that way. I make sure they know not finding it is always a possibility, so they should enjoy the walk, too. If one is missing we talk about what may have happened to it, since they want to start planting, too. For myself, now that I have a few finds under my belt, I like to go for at least some that have gone awhile between finds or have attempts logged, because it's more challenging and so much fun if you really do end up finding them and because I can check on them for the owners. Because they're young kids, though, if I had time before they came, I might even plant a few, just to be sure.

I know how frustrating it is not to be able to find a single box in an outing. We had that experience recently with a bunch of urban hides. But part of me really, really, really appreciates that this isn't just another instant gratification hobby/pastime like so many are and that it makes better use of opposable thumbs than the cheesy electronic phone games my son is currently overstimulated by and addicted to. I must confess though, I'm less likely to be crabby with no finds if I haven't driven forty-two miles of downtown traffic or someplace far from home, so for my next outing, if I do any urban boxes, they'll be sprinkled as on-the-ways to a more densely planted area. After awhile, you get a feeling for what's in store and you adjust your expectations accordingly.
Reply to: #844569 by CTEagleEye
May 4, 2014 9:02am
Thread
I see that you took the step of making your Attempts page public so I reviewed your attempts from yesterday. FWIW, here are my insights and suggestions.

The Lunchbox > 1yr since last find. Several comments indicate challenges in the past. May still be there.

Galloping Gertie II >1yr since last find. Several misses in the past but then found by others so may not be looking in the correct spot.

Wapotato planted in Jan 2014 but no finders before you. Clue sounds like the box was quite near trail. May have been muggled.

Raindrop and The Beast As you mention they were just planted so should be there. I would contact the planter. Vintage Disney also indicates trying for The Beast and looks to be an experienced boxer. Perhaps connect with him/her and plan an outing?

One thing you are learning whether you realize it or not is what makes for a good hiding spot and intriguing clue. I predict that when you start planting boxes they will be around for a long time and attract many finders. Good luck and remember to enjoy the journey.

Peace
CTEE
Found the perfect place to hide a box
May 4, 2014 7:09pm
Thread
Pugs and I were scouting a new-to-us section of path we'v recently discovered. We'd like to hide boxes on it in the near future. Found a perfect side trail. Spotted a PERFECT tree. Well, it was too perfect. There's already a geocache in it. Darn!

Well, it was a nice walk, anyway. :)
Re: Found the perfect place to hide a box
Reply to: #844731 by Munkeybee
May 4, 2014 7:20pm
Thread
Are you sure it wasn't a bomb? Should have called it in. Coulda' been a bomb.

Ab
Reply to: #844731 by Munkeybee
May 4, 2014 7:44pm
Thread
PERFECT hiding places are not. What people think of as perfect hiding places attract all kinds of attention. A true perfect hiding place is completely nondescript and anonymous. Use that "perfect" tree as a landmark, then do a compass bearing and steps to one tree in a group that all look the same, out of sight of the trail.

K
Reply to: #844740 by Kelsung
May 4, 2014 8:12pm
Thread
A true perfect hiding place is completely nondescript and anonymous.

Ah, you do have a point! The area we were scouting, unfortunately, has a ton of new growth and not many places a box can be safely hidden without being obvious or without injury to the boxer from all the blackberry and briers everywhere! There were two trees with cavities large enough to fit a box, off the path, yet where you didn't have to battle through as many briers to get to them. One had the geocache. So just finding that meant I stopped looking in that area. Ah well!
Reply to: #844733 by artboy
May 4, 2014 8:14pm
Thread
Are you sure it wasn't a bomb? Should have called it in. Coulda' been a bomb.

Haha! Nah, we peeked inside to be sure it wasn't a letterbox I managed to miss during my AQ searches. Definitely a geocache :)
May 5, 2014 4:42am
Thread
Looking at your logbook and your attempts, a few of them are listed as retired or unavailable.
Usually, people don't go after those boxes. Now their statuses could have changed
after you attempted them then
Heather