Re: If you shopped at Michaels
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #842126 by Angel and Demon
Apr 18, 2014 4:13pm
Thread
Time to start paying cash

Children or cash

Chose one
Re: Best size for letterboxing journal/notebook?
Reply to: #842069 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 18, 2014 8:24pm
Thread
I'm interested in looking at their products. Do you have another URL?

http://oberondesign.com/journal-covers.html
Re: If you shopped at Michaels
Reply to: #842148 by dingus dufus
Apr 19, 2014 5:59am
Thread
Depends on the day!
Re: Best size for letterboxing journal/notebook?
Reply to: #841741 by Intrinsically Knotted
Apr 19, 2014 7:13pm
Thread
I got a 260 page 8.5"x11" -- no lines, no texture. I'm on my 5th logbook now.

Love the size. I can fit any sized stamp, and multiple stamps per page.

hx6
Re: Found damaged letterbox HY5
Reply to: #842497 by System
Apr 21, 2014 4:34pm
Thread
Thank you for posting about the damaged letterbox you found in the Acres Trust in Allen County, Indiana. In order to better identify the box and its owner, can you tell the name of the box. (This should be on the front of the logbook, if it is readable.) Also, was there a rubber stamp included with the box? If so, what is the image?

Thanks for any further information you can provide.

Grumpy Grinch - not the owner of the box, unfortunately
Reply to: #842497 by System
Apr 21, 2014 5:30pm
Thread
Looks like Hy5 is the planter. They seem to have 5 boxes at the Acres Land Trust in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

They haven't logged into AQ since February of 2013. Is anyone close enough to make this right?
Reply to: #842499 by Grumpy Grinch
Apr 21, 2014 11:11pm
Thread
The Bicentennial Woods LB clue mentions Shoaf Rd. :
http://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/clue/?gBoxId=115722

Why is it that everyone responding to this message is in California? : )

If no one from IN speaks up, it would be great if you eventually put the box where the clue says it should be.
If you do, you can add a comment on the clue page so future finders will know it's there- but do say whether the stamp is missing.
Thanks!
Reply to: #842550 by Summerfun
Apr 21, 2014 11:22pm
Thread
If you are looking for people from Indiana to post, you make want to ask on the Indiana Board. Good luck!
Reply to: #842552 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Apr 21, 2014 11:40pm
Thread
Thanks; Kelsung beat us to it: http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?gMsgId=842524;gThreadId=121869

I suspect the Indiana boxers all went to sleep early so they can get up at dawn and go boxing. ;-)
Reply to: #842553 by Summerfun
Apr 22, 2014 6:11am
Thread
I live in Indiana but nowhere near that area so I didn't say anything.
Reply to: #842502 by MrOspital
Apr 23, 2014 5:01am
Thread
Mother N8ture is up that way... not sure how often she logs into AQ, I'll message her on FB...

Thanks!
Gwen of BT
help for hy5 box
Apr 23, 2014 5:35am
I can help with this box. Chances are I had orignally found it. I will reach out to the individual. Thanks Boston Terrorists. We need to catch up.

Mother n8ture
Un-ignoring Threads
Apr 24, 2014 9:31am
Thread
How the heck would one un-ignore a thread one accidentally ignored??!!
Re: Un-ignoring Threads
Reply to: #843032 by buttercup
Apr 24, 2014 9:48am
Thread
Go to the "Boards" tab, go to "Recent Threads" (I'm assuming), find the thread you're looking for. On the Far right side there should be a hyperlink that says "Unignore". Cllick that, and you should be golden.
Re: Un-ignoring Threads
Reply to: #843035 by Kentucky_Fried_Ghost
Apr 24, 2014 10:20am
Thread
Ha! Thanks!
Floating and/or Underwater Boxes
Apr 26, 2014 12:04am
Thread
I was wondering if anyone had managed to make a floating and/or underwater letterbox? I would love to do something like this but I have no idea how I'd be able to mark the correct location if it's out in the middle of the water. Obviously I can't just put a Buoy there.

Thoughts?
Re: Floating and/or Underwater Boxes
Reply to: #843342 by The Lost Boys
Apr 26, 2014 12:15am
Thread
I've seen photos of people wading hip deep at Live And Breathe, and I recall 3 Blind Mice mentioning some underwater creations, so it certainly can be done.

K
Reply to: #843343 by Kelsung
Apr 26, 2014 1:27am
Thread
I suppose also that perhaps coordinates might be able to make a difference...unless there are other tangible ways. I've seen videos of underwater geocaches but they didn't explain how to make them.
Reply to: #843346 by The Lost Boys
Apr 26, 2014 4:19am
Thread
I did one for an event. It was at the edge of the water so people didn't have to go in. I used a wide-necked water bottle and attached it to a tree with a carabiner and plastic chain. I put a metal block in it so it would sink. It was short term so I didn't have to worry about freezing and cracking.

It did get wet inside, not so much from leaking but from people's wet hands. You'd have to think about protecting the logbook very carefully, or not putting one in the underwater part and maybe hiding it close by instead.
Apr 26, 2014 4:49am
Thread
Letterboxer2002 had one underwater once. I will ask him about it and get back to you.
Apr 26, 2014 5:25am
Thread
I did a underwater box for a event once. The event shelter was within feet from the lake. I poked the big end of a cane fishing pole into the ground , attached a small container holding the stamp onto end of line, added weights and a bobber, set up a camping chair on the bank at the pole, the camp chair held the logbook and a hand towel.
Apr 26, 2014 5:45am
Thread
An underwater "box" has to be weighted correctly, or it will float.

One time, I used a plastic Gatorade powder container (short cylinder, screw-on lid, wide mouth). Filled it within one inch of the top with granite river rock, then poured in sand. There was just enough room for an unmounted stamp and a thin logbook on top. The "box" was placed in a creek, hidden among the rocks at the edge.
Reply to: #843354 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 26, 2014 5:50am
Thread
The Lady of the Lake did once reside in Squantz Pond (in 2002). When you followed the clues, you found a tree with a chain. The chain was attached to her watery tomb made of a grey Nalgene bottle attached to a weight. I put the log, stamp, and ink in a waterproof pouch. You should not have to worry about compression from freezing. The bottle is at the bottom of the pond and is flexible enough to drive over with a car. Email me if you have any questions. I would be glad to help!

Alan (letterboxer2002)
Apr 26, 2014 8:32am
Thread
What I have seen with caches are Pelican boxes. They are made to be underwater and have a carabiner already attached. Then they use a weight, like a brick or homemade with cement, that has a metal loop, so when the finders go after it, it can be detached and reattached without having to struggle with the weight.
Apr 26, 2014 8:48am
Thread
These are retired so I'll share this:
I made some that I permanently glued to pennies and tossed them in with other pennies in fountains:

http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewphoto.html?gPhotoId=75376
Reply to: #843383 by The Wolf Family
Apr 26, 2014 10:05am
Thread
You're so sly!!
Apr 26, 2014 10:50am
Thread
Obviously I can't just put a Buoy there.

Depends. There are plenty of marker buoys around here. Heck, some people think a white diagonal bar through a red field is a marker buoy to be circled on a jetski. ::glares at idiot boaters::

But, I digress. How accessible do you want them? I can't image too many finds on a box that requires the finder to get their scuba rig. More on a snorkel-able box, even more than a wade-able box. You could build a wooden structure that resembles a lobster trap, weigh it down, and have that hold a water proof container. Coordinates to the surface buoy, if there is one, could be clues.
Reply to: #843383 by The Wolf Family
Apr 26, 2014 3:53pm
Thread
Do you still have the clue up for the pennies? That sounds interesting!
Reply to: #843411 by LMN
Apr 26, 2014 4:04pm
Thread
Do you still have the clue up for the pennies? That sounds interesting!

This sounds like the one that the homeless peed in the water and you had to reach in the water for the box, sort of like reaching into a toilet bowl. Lots of fun, maybe even a blue diamond box altho I really don't remember for sure about the BD. lol :)
Reply to: #843359 by Dartmoor Dreamer
Apr 26, 2014 4:28pm
Thread
An underwater "box" has to be weighted correctly, or it will float.

Either that or tethered to a rock......Team We're Your Huckleberry has one ready to go but haven't planted it.......