A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Husband going to the U.K.
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #811586 by purplerose froggyking
Oct 21, 2013 8:42pm
Thread
Bummer you are not near this one it is lonely...

Hope the trip is a fun one regardless of letterboxing opportunities!!
Re: Poaching
Reply to: #811689 by artboy
Oct 21, 2013 8:45pm
Thread
Remove it, adopt it, rename it...whatever, then replant it, and give the previous planter carving recognition so they see the comments when it's found.

Errr...I meant 'kidnap' it.

Yeah, or tell 'em you had a great laugh that they appreciated your clever hiding spot so much, and since you just know they wouldn't have done that on purpose, you'll save them the embarrassment and take the liberty of moving it for them to a place you'd scoped out for your next blue diamond, how nice of you. Enclose a clue update to the new location by AQ mail and by comment. Dust hands off. Have beer.
Reply to: #811689 by artboy
Oct 21, 2013 8:50pm
Thread
Remove it, adopt it, rename it...whatever, then replant it, and give the previous planter carving recognition so they see the comments when it's found.

Errr...I meant 'kidnap' it.

Not bad. I suggest a "dumpster hide". For clues, relate the story of how the box came to be replanted, and then claim you were heading for the dumpster to throw it away and didn't quite get there.
Re: Secrets of the Blue Diamond?
Reply to: #811723 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Oct 21, 2013 8:51pm
Thread
we'd look them up thinking we'd find 'something special'

And knowing that, I'm forced to admit I feel a slightly stronger compulsion to maintain the BD ones I have -- like that recarve in a series I spent a year researching. PIA carve, but the series isn't the same without it. Even weirder, because it's in honor of a person, long gone, I almost feel guilty.
Reply to: #811795 by Kirbert
Oct 21, 2013 9:31pm
Thread
However, there are those that argue that two or more boxes will attract more finders than a single box.

And that may be the case, but planting on top of someone else's for that purpose assumes that "gifting" them with more traffic is something that they want or need. If they had wanted that, they probably would have planted a bunch on top of their own.

I hate it -- but it's not what I'd call "poaching".

You can poach a clue (using someone else's clue to reference your own) or poach a location:

[Do not plant letterboxes near other people's existing letterboxes without permission. Also, do not use someone else's letterbox as a starting point in your clue for your own box without permission. This is called poaching http://www.atlasquest.com/about/rules/respect.html]
Re: A reminder about planting
Reply to: #811682 by Kelsung
Oct 21, 2013 9:47pm
Thread
Those same people might think about how dramatically this site has changed over the years.

I still have a copy of Atlas Quest 1.0 on a CD in a drawer somewhere that I'm tempted to dust off someday and put back on a domain name I'm not using to give everyone a good laugh. =)

Newer members on AQ would probably be pretty astonished at how primitive it was and how few features actually existed. Some of the oldest AQers might remember, but they'll probably still be pretty surprised at how much different things are now. No message boards, no chat rooms, no marketplace, no photo galleries, no AQ mail, no support for non-traditionals, etc. The attributes on boxes are different. Snow friendly wasn't an option, but "boat required" was! And in terms of listing letterbox locations, there was no geocoder so boxes could only be listed as being "somewhere in city"--and the city had to already be known to AQ before you could use it.

Someday, when I'm bored with nothing better to do, I've really got to get that original version of AQ back up online somewhere. It's hilarious! =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #811677 by JampersandJ
Oct 21, 2013 11:14pm
Thread
if someone is not following the 'rules' as put forth by AQ

Just a reminder: letterboxing has no rules, only etiquette. Well, Ryan has rules about how his site gets used, but I don't think they would extend to pulling people's listings because someone thinks a box was placed too close to another. Moderating has got to be a big enough job without turning into the police, too.
Re: The sad story of how a letterbox turned into a geocache
Reply to: #809231 by Wry Me
Oct 21, 2013 11:39pm
Thread
I REALLY like the idea of putting the red circle with a line through it over the word "geocache". And yet I still wonder if that would matter.

I've used a Sharpie paint pen and labeled the outside of the letterbox "NOT A GEOCACHE"
I've written on the stamp and logbook "NOT FOR TRADE".
I've printed notes saying "Congratulations, you've found a LETTERBOX, this is NOT A GEOCACHE please DO NOT REMOVE ANYTHING" along with the AtlasQuest card explaining letterboxing, that I tape inside the lid or inside the baggie (depending on the container they're hidden in) so that the finder would HAVE to see it...

and still I've had boxes go missing, I've found trinkets left in boxes, I've found boxes belonging to others that were missing the stamp and had trinkets instead, and most recently I had someone sign the logbook and comment on how the title on the log didn't match the name of the cache and that I should fix that...

I live in Washington, so I cannot speak for other states...but it makes me wonder if the geocachers here cannot read, or don't take the time to read. And of course the other option (which I hope is not happening) that they just don't give a hoot.
Re: How badly do you want your boxes found?
Reply to: #807224 by Three FLAmigo's
Oct 22, 2013 12:02am
Thread
We've hidden some with simple clues, some that are stories, some that rhyme, and some that are "brain teasers" like this one http://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/clue/?gBoxId=204080

I was nervous at first, thinking no one would want to figure out the "word play" in these clues, but the letterboxers that have found this series have really enjoyed the challenge and left very nice comments!! :) Only one person didn't like it, but I'm fine with that, not everyone wants to decipher clues, hence the others that we also write. :)
Reply to: #811817 by Lady Morgannah
Oct 22, 2013 12:28am
Thread
...it makes me wonder if the geocachers here cannot read, or don't take the time to read.

I've been a geocacher since November 2004, and I've found hundreds of caches using a Garmin eTrex or a LowRance iFinder GO -- and printed-out clue pages, scribbling notes to myself, decyphering the hint using a pencil when necessary. This past Saturday I hunted three geocaches -- found two of them -- using my new Samsung Galaxy Note -- no paper, hint decyphering at the tap of a finger, and the only reason to use a pen was to sign the cache log. I can attest that it changes your way of thinking. Actually reading the cache listing is so old school! Just tap, tap, follow the little pointer, pick up the cache and sign in, move on to the next one, yipppeee, 50 caches in a day is no problem! The idea that your letterbox will be safe if you do this or that is self-delusion.
Reply to: #811801 by Wry Me
Oct 22, 2013 2:52am
Thread
Dust hands off. Have beer.

Did someone say beer??? Why am I always the last to hear about beer?

~Stormie~ aka DustySandStorm
Reply to: #811801 by Wry Me
Oct 22, 2013 3:00am
Thread
Raised eyebrows... oh man when this thread started I was gonna raise heck in the "geocaching" threads about some lazy geocacher posting coordinates for a letterbox and taking the "coo-dos" for a well maintain letterbox hybrid... NOW THAT'S POACHING! Please be careful for what you ask for or Ryan may have to do the 500' rule that is imposed on geocachers (shivers) gawd for bid it.

~Stormie~ aka DustySandStorm
Reply to: #811818 by Lady Morgannah
Oct 22, 2013 3:58am
Thread
I was interested in seeing what you did but when I clicked on one of the links in the clue I had to enter my Google password and than I was given an Error 404 page. Did I do something wrong?
Reply to: #811818 by Lady Morgannah
Oct 22, 2013 4:48am
Thread
We've hidden some with simple clues, some that are stories, some that rhyme, and some that are "brain teasers" like this one http://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/clue/?gBoxId=204080

I couldn't get the links in the clue to work. Maybe that's a part of the "brain teaser"?
Peace
CTEE
Reply to: #811675 by Raven
Oct 22, 2013 5:17am
Thread
They are aware of it, but there's not much that can be done since they live so far away.

Not a good enough excuse. If it was mine, not that I would EVER do that, I'd ask if you were Ok with pulling it and sending home/replanting/tossing out for me. I'd be rather embarrassed for sure. That's just in bad taste.

Or ask the planter that lives close by if they minded moving it to a new place and send the new clues and they would add you as a planter also....
There are places in Ohio that has 100's of stamps in the same place. You can check every tree and find one in about 90% of them. I am not joking.
Reply to: #811817 by Lady Morgannah
Oct 22, 2013 5:36am
Thread
and still I've had boxes go missing

If the box goes missing or the logbook goes missing, it's likely a muggle not a geocacher. The GC game does not involve taking a container or taking the logbook. Recently I found a letterbox that had a trinket in it and the stamp was still there. Funny thing, it wasn't near a geocache. but it was next to a parking lot. My guess, someone found it, thought it was some kind of pirate stash treasure hunt thing, didn't want the stamp, and left something they had in their pocket.

I remember someone coming into the boards to complain that their box was missing and someone had placed a geocache in the spot. Turned out the box was still there and the cache was planted months before the letterbox. The person who planted the letterbox couldn't check on it, it was a vacation box and they were never going back. They took the word of the last finder that the box was missing. I did some sleuthing and found the geocache in question. There were plenty of recent reports about people finding the letterbox and the cache. The box and cache still exist together over a year later.
Reply to: #807389 by Sheba
Oct 22, 2013 5:47am
Thread
Hide it under a big flat rock

Except we don't have big, flat rocks, or actually hardly any random rocks in our areas of Florida. It does make planting very challenging. Hard to believe when the geography is so different elsewhere. I also plant in a controlled burn area, what I do is try to plant soon after a burn, as they rotate sections every 3 or 4 years, and hope for the best. Or I try to find a section where undergrowth is minimal, and I feel the controlled burn may not reach. So far I have 5 boxes there, lasting 2 years, but I don't expect them to be safe forever.
Re: A reminder about planting
Reply to: #811810 by Green Tortuga
Oct 22, 2013 6:03am
Thread
Someday, when I'm bored with nothing better to do, I've really got to get that original version of AQ back up online somewhere. It's hilarious!

It was wonderful and we were grateful for it. And it's even better now and we are awe struck in the development and maintaince you do to it everyday! Thank you Ryan, for all you do and will do. AQ is simply the best!
Reply to: #811767 by The Wolf Family
Oct 22, 2013 9:06am
Thread
I don't really understand why people poach.

Neither do I, although I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps they are really keen to plant, unsure of themselves, so they copy what someone else has done in order to get it "right".
Reply to: #811843 by FloridaFour
Oct 22, 2013 10:42am
Thread
Except we don't have big, flat rocks, or actually hardly any random rocks in our areas of Florida. It does make planting very challenging. Hard to believe when the geography is so different elsewhere.

One thing you learn quickly when you take an airline flight to somewhere else to letterbox is how different the terrain is and how different the hides are as a result. Here in Florida, we don't have many rocks; if you happen to find a rock and hide something under it, it'll be muggled quickly because rocks are such unusual places that everyone passing by will check them out. We have boxes and caches hidden "Florida style" which means hidden under the leaves of a Palmetto bush. Palmetto bushes have broad, flat leaves that lay on the ground; you can lift one up and slide an ammo can under there and it's well hidden. As a general rule, "Florida style" means out away from the trunk of the Palmetto; up against the trunk isn't as well hidden and it's much scratchier to get to.

OTOH, here in Florida you don't ever want to hide anything in a dead tree or a fallen log, because those things rot away quickly here, in just a couple of years your box is simply buried under mulch. It always surprises me to travel up north and find boxes hidden in dead stumps that have been there for years.
Reply to: #811878 by Kirbert
Oct 22, 2013 12:19pm
Thread
You don't ever want to hide anything in a dead tree

One of the first mistakes I made here. Luckily since it was my first series, I was checking it every month to see the conditions. It took 4 only months for the log to fall apart!

I do have one inside a LIVE hollow tree.

I also make use of palmetto leaves (on the ground), and air potatoes (Spanish Moss)

I always thought Florida Style was in a palm tree close to the trunk. Like in a pill bottle or small pouch (shudder)nestled in the V of the frond.
Or at least it seems that way, from geocaching.
Reply to: #811865 by 55 Steps
Oct 22, 2013 1:45pm
Thread
Perhaps they are really keen to plant, unsure of themselves, so they copy what someone else has done in order to get it "right".

Possibly. But that reason appears to make them very uncreative and not particularly intelligent. If they have the ability to read a clue, it seems they have the ability to write some directions that are not completely copied off of someone else.

There could be a lot of reasons, but I just haven't come across any really good reason.
Reply to: #811903 by FloridaFour
Oct 22, 2013 2:28pm
Thread
I used to have one in a tree hollow. The tree grew closed around the hollow. Fortunately I was able to reach my hand in the hole, remove the lid - thank goodness for L&L! - and maneuver the box out in pieces. Lesson learned.
Oct 22, 2013 3:33pm
Thread
Here in New Zealand, there are a number of older boxes hidden in flax bushes. They seem like a good idea at first, but as time passes, they grow so profusely that it is pretty much impossible to find anything in them. The only time I will use a flax bush now is if it is right up against a fence or wall, and I hide the box next to the fence or wall so that it won't get "eaten".
Reply to: #811931 by The Wolf Family
Oct 22, 2013 3:52pm
Thread
Perhaps they are really keen to plant, unsure of themselves, so they copy what someone else has done in order to get it "right".

Possibly. But that reason appears to make them very uncreative and not particularly intelligent. If they have the ability to read a clue, it seems they have the ability to write some directions that are not completely copied off of someone else.

Recently, a long-time letterboxer (more than 900 plants and 5000 finds) found a plant of mine and then planted their own box that very same day in the same general area. They copied my clues word for word (except one phrase) and added on a couple of sentences of their own at the end since their box is probably about 10 or more yards away. I probably won't contact them and don't mind the proximity, but I'm still a bit surprised that an experienced letterboxer didn't even bother to paraphrase. Oh, well.
Reply to: #811945 by Parhelia
Oct 22, 2013 4:05pm
Thread
Recently, a long-time letterboxer (more than 900 plants and 5000 finds) found a plant of mine and then planted their own box that very same day in the same general area. They copied my clues word for word

I imagine after more than 900 plants the well is running a little dry.
Reply to: #811945 by Parhelia
Oct 22, 2013 4:56pm
Thread
They copied my clues word for word (except one phrase) and added on a couple of sentences of their own at the end since their box is probably about 10 or more yards away.

I would imagine it's a lot easier to get a high plant number that way....
Reply to: #811938 by frankie and benjy
Oct 22, 2013 5:05pm
Thread
Yeah, that happened to me, too. I still hide in holes in live trees, but I try to make sure that the opening is a lot bigger than the box going in it.
Reply to: #811943 by 55 Steps
Oct 22, 2013 5:13pm
Thread
The fast-growing flax bushes sound like palmettos, as far as growth. I found a geocache that was supposed to just be behind a tree. "Easy". Five years later, when I found it, there were 20 FEET of razor sharp palmettos to wade through. I still have scars!
Oct 22, 2013 7:49pm
Thread
We have boxes and caches hidden "Florida style" which means hidden under the leaves of a Palmetto bush. Palmetto bushes have broad, flat leaves that lay on the ground; you can lift one up and slide an ammo can under there and it's well hidden.

So, how long do they last under palmetto leaves? How long are they stable? How quickly do they grow?