A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Husband going to the U.K.
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #811442 by purplerose froggyking
Oct 21, 2013 4:47am
Thread
There are not tons outside Dartmoor NP and North York Moors NP but that doesn't mean they don't exist. The real question is, where is he going and where are you searching for the clues? ie, the percentage listed on AQ or LBNA is extremely low.
Re: Updating clues
Reply to: #811508 by 3Daydreamers
Oct 21, 2013 5:38am
Thread
I agree that the clues should be edited if they are actually wrong, or if conditions change drastically. Editing is easy enough to do.

But as a finder, you should try to make a habit of skimming the comments before you head out. There's often very helpful info there! And I'm sure some planters don't bother to correct the clues if there is a public comment on there explaining the change (the downed tree is a perfect example of that).
Reply to: #811533 by LuLaHe
Oct 21, 2013 6:27am
Thread
I've had this happen too. I updated the status of the box and included a message in the Comments section to note that the box was alive and well regardless of the "attempts" listed. Thus, my Comment is more recent and posted above any "missing" comments that may be listed.

I do usually wait for at least two "attempts" before trudging out to check on a supposedly missing box -- unless the attempt was made by a veteran boxer. If the veteran couldn't find the box and provided me with enough information to verify that they were in the correct location, I do try my best to check on the box ASAP.

- Kham
Oct 21, 2013 7:15am
Thread
We were on an out-of-state hunt at a rest stop & found that the clue directed us to a recently fenced-in area around an air-conditioning unit. We casually checked the bushes around but not carefully enough. I got home I found that the comments told exactly where it had been moved. We I printed out the clues, I just printed from a radius search & didn't read the comments because there were so many.
Reply to: #811549 by heartsquare
Oct 21, 2013 7:29am
Thread
But as a finder, you should try to make a habit of skimming the comments before you head out. There's often very helpful info there! And I'm sure some planters don't bother to correct the clues if there is a public comment on there explaining the change (the downed tree is a perfect example of that).

Some people don't like to check the comments because they may contain spoilers.

Not me though, I love comments and have never had someone post what I consider a spoiler in the comments of my hi. But, I do tend to forget to read comments before heading out. I use Clue Tracker on my smartphone but the app doesn't include comments. I could go to the AQ site but I'm usually to impatient to go through all the clicks and waiting time while out in the woods.

I agree with everyone that says that clues should be updated when the environment changes.

Personally, if I change the box clues significantly, like moving the box a substantial distance, I will leave the old clues on the box for the history of the box, so folks who found it with the old clues can still see them and remember that experience. Example: McQuillan Bridge and Trees
Re: A reminder about planting
Reply to: #811518 by Kirbert
Oct 21, 2013 7:43am
Thread
Ryan: Please revise the plant logbook setup so that members can choose to omit listings of retired boxes.

I don't see a reason for this. I'm happy with deleting when I feel like it. I have no attachment to old, past listings that serve no purpose anymore. I have some I keep around for different reasons (like the clues were creative or they were a first in some way). But if I have no reason to keep a listing I'm never re-activating, I'll purge it entirely.

Other people can run searches like Ryan outlined to exclude retired listings. And the F count stays the same in other people's logbooks.

It's just a matter of preference.
Re: Husband going to the U.K.
Reply to: #811537 by Eidolon
Oct 21, 2013 7:51am
Thread
Ilfracombe. The closest one is 30 plus miles away. He won't have the time to go find it.
Oct 21, 2013 8:00am
Thread
While I agree with Kelsung that many people are just lazy, I also think there is a small percentage who enjoy being jerks. I've run into a few boxers who truly get annoyed/offended if you dare suggest that their clue is wrong, and that maybe they should change it. Sometimes it's not even about instances where conditions have changed, sometimes it's poor clue writing from the start. One area boxer I know is notorious for it. He/she often has clues with major errors (telling you to turn left, when he/she meant turn right. Telling you to travel North on a trail that runs east-west, etc., etc.). And I don't believe for a second they were done on purpose to make a more cryptic clue. But, like I said, if you dare question the clue, or tell them it was really 2 miles, not 0.2 miles, you'll get some smart a** comment like "Well, you still found it, didn't you", or "Others have found it, why couldn't you?" Maybe I think too rationally, because trying to understand the logic behind these kind of responses is just mind-boggling.
Oct 21, 2013 8:01am
Thread
As someone who is also quite new to the hobby, I always read the comments. There is sometimes some very useful information in there. While it might not make sense in the comments, when you're out on the trail, they can often lead to that A-HA moment.

Another reason is the owner of the box might not be active any more to know that the clues aren't correct any longer. Example: I was going after a box that was located indoors. The clue stated that the box was located in the back of the store. The store has since been remodeled and someone in the comments mentioned that and that the box wasn't quite in the back. The owner of the box hasn't logged into AQ in over two years so the clue hadn't been updated but the comments were very helpful in finding the box. I still had to look more than if the box had actually been in the back of the store. Another example is a trail had been remarked and the clue was wrong. The comments while not giving it away, gave enough info to put you back on the right track and find the box.
Oct 21, 2013 8:26am
Thread
when a planter/owner realizes their clues are no longer as correct as they once were, why aren't the clues being updated?

Yeah...frustrating

My "favorite" was the clue that said SADLY THIS BOX HAS GONE MISSING
so of course, I didn't go look for it, but would check the clue periodically, hoping the box would get replaced. Yes, the box is now there - I only found out because I decided to look at the Show Finds history and people logged it in. Supposedly, the clues had been modified in August, but the statement SADLY THIS BOX HAS GONE MISSING still remains! (box was found July, August, and this month...)

Show Finds are also helpful since some boxes still show "active" but there have been unsuccessful attempts logged in, so we don't spend a lot of time looking for those boxes...come on, we have 4 more in the series to look for!
Re: Secrets of the Blue Diamond?
Reply to: #811373 by MissMoon
Oct 21, 2013 9:32am
Thread
I don't plant to get Blue Diamonds, so don't insinuate that that is what I do. I plant what I like and find interesting, the End.

I am simply asking what others consider blue diamond worthy. Nothing More.

So, please do not add context where there is none, MissMoon. Thanks.
Reply to: #811511 by Kelsung
Oct 21, 2013 9:42am
Thread
complaining about non-existant problems, perpetuating the myth that the site is somehow inferior.

While I agree that the problems Kirbert and Cyclonic cite are non-existant, I do think AQ is superior if you don't live in the USA or its territories. Those of us in other countries are all lumped together in "Other International", which makes sifting clues a PITA.
Re: Secrets of the Blue Diamond?
Reply to: #811606 by The Lost Boys
Oct 21, 2013 9:55am
Thread
You may have asked for different perspectives

I was wondering how this perspective differs for everyone

so
Reply to: #811611 by 55 Steps
Oct 21, 2013 10:27am
Thread
Oh I'll totally hand you that. It is called Letterboxing North America.

The complaints about abandoned listings are legitimate, but webmasters will look into them if you let them know. AQ has abandoned listings too, but handles them differently.

It's all the complaints about the lack of features and functionality that annoy me because they're just not true.

K
Reply to: #811624 by Kelsung
Oct 21, 2013 10:54am
Thread
It's all the complaints about the lack of features and functionality that annoy me because they're just not true.

I generally try to stay out of LbNA discussions, but to be fair... a lot of the features and functionality you describe haven't always been there. When I first started letterboxing, the site didn't even allow you to create your own accounts to manage your own listings! It has improved dramatically since then, but it's not necessarily that some of the information people have about LbNA is "wrong" so much as is just "out of date." For those trying to explain why they don't use LbNA anymore and they don't know about new or improved features... well, they already admitted that they don't use LbNA anymore. How would they know about the new or improved feature?

So try not to get too annoyed. Try to be understanding and just re-educate them. =)

-- Ryan
Poaching
Oct 21, 2013 11:02am
Thread
So here is our dilemma....we've been poached.
Yes, we've contacted the planter asking the box to be removed. The message was read by 2 of the 3 planters, but no the box hasn't been removed and/or response received.

Generally, what are the next steps?

Do not plant letterboxes near other people's existing letterboxes without permission...This is called poaching and while we may not always know if you're breaking the other rules, we always learn when you break this one. Not only might the original letterbox planter not appreciate your efforts, but the added traffic with people getting your letterbox might cause unacceptable environmental damage or risk exposing the location of the original letterbox.

Mr BT of the BTs.
Re: Poaching
Reply to: #811632 by Boston Terrorists
Oct 21, 2013 11:20am
Thread
Interesting. I've always understood poaching to mean using someone else's box as a starting or reference point in your clues, or outright copying their clues. To just say "near" another box is vague.

How close is it to yours? I've found lots of boxes "near" others in the same park or on the same trail. It's great when you can plan a trip to get several boxes in the same area. I found an LbNA only box by a tree, and an AQ only box by the very next tree. Half the finders in each logbook didn't find the other. At some events you can practically trip over all the boxes different planters put out.

How do we define "near"?

K
Reply to: #811638 by Kelsung
Oct 21, 2013 11:25am
Thread
How close is it to yours?

How about in the same tree less than 4 feet from our box.

What perplexes me is that the planter of the 2nd box had found ours less than 4 weeks before planting theirs in the very same tree......so was our box that well planted/hidden that they didn't remember it?
Reply to: #811640 by Boston Terrorists
Oct 21, 2013 12:08pm
Thread
Same tree?! I'm gonna totally agree that's pretty lame. I just think the definition is vague.

Unfortunately, if they don't respond I don't think there's much you can do.

K
Reply to: #811640 by Boston Terrorists
Oct 21, 2013 12:17pm
Thread
I've hidden boxes close (not that close though) as a "thank you" for the hunt. Living in an area where there are few boxes close, I get excited to find boxes close together and try to hide them along the way, so there is another to find. Are they very new? I did some silly/dumb things when I was new, that now I know better.
Reply to: #811655 by FrogiNater
Oct 21, 2013 12:33pm
Thread
My initial reaction was wanting to make their box go "missing" but that would have been just plain vengeful and mean spirited, not to mention dumb.

Then the thought occurred to me, to pull our box from the location, but its been there for 4+ years and a BD for very good reasons.....plus we were there first....neener neener neener

As far as being new boxers....you tell me 20 plants and 220 finds?
I think that's more then enough to qualify them as seasoned. Not green any more, so they should know better granted, I can't figure out for the life of me why they'd plant in a tree when they found the box already in said tree....
Reply to: #811632 by Boston Terrorists
Oct 21, 2013 1:05pm
Thread
We have a box that's been poached too. LITERALLY right next to my letterbox. From boxers from out-of-state that don't use AQ. They are aware of it, but there's not much that can be done since they live so far away. And there are no better locations for my box in that specific area. It's lame.
Reply to: #811624 by Kelsung
Oct 21, 2013 1:05pm
Thread
Hey, just for grins I went through the LbNA listings for N FL and sent the admins a whole bunch of messages about listings that should be archived. Not only were they promptly archived, but they thanked me for the cleanup efforts! I highly recommend that anyone running across one of these LbNA clues where the box and the planter are both clearly long gone, go ahead and send a message to the admins. Include the box name and LbNA number to make things easy for them.

The sad part is that I also ran across listings for several of my own boxes that needed to be archived! Seems I forget after retiring a box here on AQ. Oh, well.
Reply to: #811673 by The Lost Boys
Oct 21, 2013 1:10pm
Thread
They are aware of it, but there's not much that can be done since they live so far away.

Not a good enough excuse. If it was mine, not that I would EVER do that, I'd ask if you were Ok with pulling it and sending home/replanting/tossing out for me. I'd be rather embarrassed for sure. That's just in bad taste.
Reply to: #811662 by Boston Terrorists
Oct 21, 2013 1:14pm
Thread
Just tossing out a thought here...if someone is not following the 'rules' as put forth by AQ, can not the AQ moderators pull their listing from the site? It won't solve everything, but it will put some pressure on the poachers to move their box, I would think.

It sounds like you've come across some people who have the attitude of "I am going to do what I @#% well please and $#%q the community!"

It seems to me that perhaps it is now necessary to have some guidelines put in place ~a timeframe to resolve differences (like how eBay has between buyer & seller, before eBay steps in with final warnings/action if it has not been resolved).
Reply to: #811675 by Raven
Oct 21, 2013 1:16pm
Thread
Oooh! Here's a better idea! Send a message to them asking if it's OK if you throw their box away! Almost doesn't matter what the response is, it'll be worth the price of admission.
Reply to: #811674 by Kirbert
Oct 21, 2013 1:20pm
Thread
I also ran across listings for several of my own boxes that needed to be archived! Seems I forget after retiring a box here on AQ.

That's the reason I quit listing boxes on LbNA, even though I started there. I wasn't being a good boxing citizen by maintaining my listings on both sites.
Reply to: #811628 by Green Tortuga
Oct 21, 2013 1:37pm
Thread
Fair enough, Ryan. In fact, looking back at their "change log" your name pops up a couple times in the early AQ days. I understand your desire to remain relatively neutral on the subject.

Those same people might think about how dramatically this site has changed over the years. But logging finds and archiving listings has been around nearly as long as Cyclonic has been boxing. To anyone who hasn't seriously looked at the site in a couple years, you might be happily surprised.

K
Reply to: #811677 by JampersandJ
Oct 21, 2013 1:40pm
Thread
following the 'rules' as put forth by AQ

I like to think there are no rules just considerations. Be considerate of others, their boxes, and their clues. That makes a good letterboxer.

attitude of "I am going to do what I @#% well please and $#%q the community!"

Unfortunately, there are some among us that think exactly this way. Fortunately the rest of us just do the right thing regardless of the situation.

now necessary to have some guidelines put in place

That would scare me away from boxing. It sounds too much like geocaching. Please let's never do that.
Reply to: #811684 by BBStacker
Oct 21, 2013 2:06pm
Thread
I had someone plant a box right on top of my box. Guess I know how to hide them well. I was not offended. Thought it was hilarious. When I went to find their box (because of reports of the last in the series) I just left a little note to dig deeper if this is not what you are looking for. :)