A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Tooth Brush Pays Off
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #673193 by tiggermama
Feb 1, 2012 9:46am
Thread
Not sure if these boxes are viable anymore, but they are on the Timberland trails and they are awesome. And they are well worth a "searching for old cool boxes-not sure if they're there anymore" hunt. I found them way back in 2002, when I had a different trail name and letterboxed with my mom and sister as Prince, Pan and Baby Bunting.
Re: Do you ever change your signature stamp?
Reply to: #672600 by softball29
Feb 1, 2012 10:16am
Thread
Like others, I started out with a store bought stamp. But it took me all summer to figure out what image I wanted as my "permanent" signature stamp. Then we decided to go to Disney this fall and I knew that I wouldn't have enough time to ink up my signature stamp for all the boxes there, so the night before we left I carved a smaller stamp with an alternate image. This one is now used for HH's, small logbooks, and stealthy finds.

So I have 2 that I use on a regular basis...I hope this doesn't violate any codes pertaining to melted cheese products. I like cheese. I wouldn't want to harm it. ;-)
Re: What do you carry and what do you bring LBing?
Reply to: #673216 by Sea Maid
Feb 1, 2012 10:55am
Thread
This one?

How about this one?

I bought the purple/grey "ladies" tool bag from Woot a few weeks ago. The price was right but it does not have a shoulder strap and it just a little bit too feminine for my taste. It just might wind up a raffle item at the next event I go to.
Reply to: #672600 by softball29
Feb 1, 2012 11:52am
Thread
I hit my 100th find today and had a new signature stamp ready to commemorate the milestone. My original stamp was my very first carve. My carving has improved some since then so I wanted to update my signature stamp. I decided this milestone was an appropriate opportunity to make the change.
Reply to: #673238 by Claudia and Alex
Feb 1, 2012 12:11pm
Thread
cool!! thank you muchly!!!

~tigs (who, as usual, should be writing case notes and is not. . .)
Reply to: #673248 by PI Joe
Feb 1, 2012 1:05pm
Thread
it just a little bit too feminine for my taste.

Take a magic marker to it, make it black. ?
Reply to: #673260 by A Southern Gentleman
Feb 1, 2012 1:19pm
Thread
I'd say "go for it". Then, when you attend an event, you can ask if anybody needs your "new" Sig Stp. You'll meet some new people and re-connect w/others.

I was lucky enough to know Coffee Mug who carved me an awesome new Sig Stp

I hope that encourages you. SS
Feb 1, 2012 1:21pm
Thread
I hit my 100th find today

Congratulations!
Feb 1, 2012 1:59pm
Thread
Congrat's on the 100th find! Wow, you are progessing FAST! You just started in December and that original simple negative image has now progressed to including letters with different fonts. Nice.
Reply to: #673193 by tiggermama
Feb 1, 2012 2:01pm
Thread
Is that the Land Trust Trails, by Bluebird, Tessie?

It's only listed on LbNA under the name "Timberland Trails". Planted in 2001. Love getting those really old series, and I especially loved the first stamp. 3 boxes, but the last one had been vandalized and was just an empty box. Had the name of the series written on it, so I know that one is missing. Allow some extra time to find these boxes, they were a challenge.
Reply to: #673278 by Trailhead Tessie
Feb 1, 2012 2:21pm
Thread
Allow some extra time to find these boxes, they were a challenge.

okey dokey, good to know. we are going to go boxing with some newbie friends in 3 weeks - i probably won't take them, i'll pick something easier.

~tigs (who likes to encourage the newcomers and not scare them off!)
Reply to: #673203 by Order_and_Chaos
Feb 1, 2012 7:23pm
Thread
I bring Eidolon..... my logbook and stamp...what else do ya need?

Oh...water and some food. :) T
Reply to: #673347 by T REX
Feb 1, 2012 7:43pm
Thread
Bail money?
Feb 1, 2012 7:46pm
Thread
um, if you're going with Eidolon, a large bladder, a larger first aid kit, and a great deal of courage. . .

or so i've heard.
Reply to: #673203 by Order_and_Chaos
Feb 1, 2012 8:14pm
Thread
I use a diaper bag backpack for my letterboxing bag. It came with a handy-dandy stamping in pad to sit on! The one I got years ago (from Land's End) is no longer being sold, but if I was getting one now, I like the looks of this one. I keep maintenance stuff, water, snacks, markers, color ink pads, first aid supplies, tongs for reaching in dark holes, etc. in it.

I keep the stuff I need for every letterbox (sig stamp, sig ink, black ink pad, index cards, clip board, pen) in a toiletry bag. You know, the kind you would travel with and hang in you hotel bathroom to have your toiletries conveniently located. When I'm on the trail, it's quick and easy to pull out of my backpack, open up and do what needs to be done. If it's a drive-by or an easy box that I am sure will be in good condition, I can just carry that.
Reply to: #673354 by tiggermama
Feb 1, 2012 8:17pm
Thread
...and the legend grows...Please! His head is big enough....;) T
Feb 1, 2012 8:49pm
Thread
I bring Eidolon..... my logbook and stamp...what else do ya need?

Slackboxing at it's finest :)

Oh...water and some food.

Yeah--isn't it funny, people will let you slackBOX but they won't let you slackEAT? And heaven help you if you ask for their beer... :D
Reply to: #673368 by Sheba
Feb 1, 2012 9:09pm
Thread
*its
Reply to: #673363 by Mello Bunny
Feb 2, 2012 5:01am
Thread
O M G

i'm in love.

i WANT one of those bags. i NEED one of those bags, Mello. it even comes in orange, which everyone KNOWS is the color tiggers do best. And look at all that lovely room on the outside for patches. . . And pockets on the inside for everything including the kitchen sink (which this tigger must have with her)

Mr. Umbrella must be told.

~tigs (off to write down the info for presents. why does my birthday have to be over???)
Wonderful husband found my long lost box today.
Feb 2, 2012 10:34am
Thread
Back in September '08 I planted a box that was special to me in a spot related to the subject. It was a simple little carve, but one of my favorites. The last finders logged in in June '09 and it was still in place and very nicely rehidden in July. I didn't get back to check on it until November and it was gone. We were pretty sure it had been muggled because all the cover had been replaced just as it had been. So I archived it. We searched the whole area pretty thoroughly then and several more times over the next couple of years with no luck.
Then on this lovely groundhog day morning we went out to the area just to hike, maybe pick up a few cans and possibly spot a great hiding place for a new box. But when we got to the place where the old one had been, Ishi decided to search around a bit more....and WOW.
He found the pouch about 30 feet from its old spot out in plain sight on top of a pile of leaves.
We had been there before, poking in logs, looking under brush and scratching through leaves, and had uncovered nothing.
Surely, it can't have been lying there all this time through wind and rain and snow. All I know is that I was really glad to see it again. The pouch was chewed some, but the stamp is in great shape, the logbook is only slightly damp with a little mold on the cover. The names and stamps of the finders are perfectly legible.
Now I'm thinking about drying it out, making a new logbook cover for it and replating it somewhere in the same general area.
Re: Wonderful husband found my long lost box today.
Reply to: #673472 by LadyEilonwy
Feb 2, 2012 11:12am
Thread
I still check for my Oh, Deere! from time to time, hoping the same thing will happen. I'm so happy for you that your wonderful hubby found your box! Congrats!
Re: Wonderful husband found my long lost box today.
Reply to: #673472 by LadyEilonwy
Feb 2, 2012 11:39am
Thread
I'm thinking the groundhogs have had it all along!
Supplies NINJA
Feb 2, 2012 12:09pm
Thread
I feel like a ninja/thief (smirk) right now and had to share. I was assigned the mundane task at work today of going through old supplies and discarding those that were out of date. I found a whole pile of bags of prescription discount cards, each card neatly placed in it's own durable plastic bag. I diligently empty every bag and promptly stuck them in my purse. One necessary supply for my new letterboxing bag down! :)
strange log ins in my letterbox
Feb 2, 2012 1:07pm
Thread
We recently checked on one of our letterboxes. Someone had logged in it with bad language. They indicated they found it in error; at least they put it back. I tore out the offending page.
question: should I leave it there, knowing they know where it is?

Also, a lot of people must look up clues on here and find the boxes and log into them, but do not bother to log in on here as a find. Question: is that a common practice?

First time to post anything on here. Hope I did it right.
Foxy
Re: strange log ins in my letterbox
Reply to: #673513 by Foxy Grandma
Feb 2, 2012 1:13pm
Thread
You poor thing. I've never had that happen, but I'm pretty new too.
Feb 2, 2012 1:13pm
Thread
I log all my finds, but my kids also stamp in... And I don't log theirs. I bet the same goes for some couples.
Re: Supplies NINJA
Reply to: #673500 by TheRK
Feb 2, 2012 1:16pm
Thread
SCORE!!! :)
Feb 2, 2012 1:16pm
Thread
should I leave it there, knowing they know where it is?

Do you know how long ago they found it? If it's been a long time and others have found it with no problem, it will probably be safe for now. In the long run, though, I might move it if another suitable place can be found, if for no other reason than peace of mind.

a lot of people must look up clues on here and find the boxes and log into them, but do not bother to log in on here as a find.

Yes, that happens a lot, and is perfectly OK. Some only log on AQ or LBNA, some on both, and some on neither one.
Feb 2, 2012 1:25pm
Thread
I love your sig. stamp.
Feb 2, 2012 1:25pm
Thread
for some people, it's about the find and not keeping score somewhere. I personally cant wait to log in when I find one! :D