Jul 10, 2011 7:51pm
Thread
OK, that one went over my head.
Re: Letterboxing No-Man's Land
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #620077 by IrishRef
Jul 10, 2011 7:53pm
Thread
Heat and humidity aren't a problem when you box in November! :-) Admittedly not a good place to box in the summer, though. Y'all consider a Christmas vacation down this way, y'hear?
Re: Searching Dangers (was "Letterboxing No-Man's Land")
Reply to: #620121 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jul 10, 2011 7:57pm
Thread
Then there are the alligators.

Phooey. This time of year, SWMBO and I spend every Saturday and Sunday evening in the vicinity of my Off Da Hook letterbox, just hanging out and watching the fishermen. There are three gators there, just swimming around lazily in case someone catches a catfish and throws it back too torn up to swim. It's difficult to imagine a critter less threatening than an alligator. Dogs are far more worrisome.
Why hide your finds?
Jul 10, 2011 8:29pm
Thread
I'm curious to know why anyone would choose to hide their finds. I understand that the option is available and that everyone has the right to choose that option. I just don't understand why they would.
Re: Why hide your finds?
Reply to: #620181 by Boots Tex
Jul 10, 2011 8:35pm
Thread
Because a stalker could use your most recent finds to discover where you are, and predict where you are likely to be.
Re: Letterboxing No-Man's Land
Reply to: #620155 by Kirbert
Jul 10, 2011 8:35pm
Thread
That'd be cheating.

And?
Jul 10, 2011 8:37pm
Thread
It's called "logbook stalking" -- where people look to see where you've been (and possibly line up Mystery boxes that you've hid with boxes you found on the same day).

Either way, many didn't think it was a big deal, while others asked Ryan to hide their finds. Ryan, as you didn't see the big deal and it just didn't make sense.

Then, correct me if I'm wrong, Ryan went ahead and hid his finds. Apparently there were some who didn't like this at all and wrote Ryan saying things that just freaked him out -- so much so that he made it the defalt setting.

It's not a big deal until people go nutso on you for hiding your finds.

And that's my understanding of the whole hide your find thing.

hx6
Reply to: #620187 by Hart x6
Jul 10, 2011 9:15pm
Thread
I've noticed that new boxers, those with few finds, seem to be the ones with hidden finds, because that is the default. I've asked a few folks why they hide their finds and invariably they are unaware of the fact and choose to make them public. I believe that making them public should be the default with the option to hide them. Letterboxer stalkers? You're kidding, right?
Jul 10, 2011 9:37pm
Thread
Surfing P/F logs is certainly a great way to glean info on mystery boxes, but boxers should never log a mystery box on the same date they find a regular box.

MookyDipper has graciously lent his box in Ecuador

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gBoxId=22459

as a "find" for us on several occasions on the same day we've planted a mystery box. Purposely listing a mystery on the same date you were somewhere else entirely can help cover your tracks.
Reply to: #620194 by Boots Tex
Jul 10, 2011 10:14pm
Thread
I believe that making them public should be the default with the option to hide them.

You don't happen to work for Facebook, do you?
Jul 10, 2011 10:19pm
Thread
If you do a search (mostly on the "dead lemurs" board) on the subject of private logbooks and hiding finds, you'll find several long discussions going back for years, with many and varied answers. But what it boils down to is that some folks don't want to be involved in the slippery slope, and opt out at various points along the following continuum:

At first you couldn't log finds at all. A clue was posted, and you didn't know if the box had ever been found or not unless you actually followed the clues and went to the box to look in the logbook. The REAL, PHYSICAL logbook, which, in my oh-so-humble opinion, is the only one that matters anyway.

Then you could log your finds, mostly to allow you to get them out of future searches.

Then planters would get private emails to let them know someone had found their box.

Then you could look at a list of only the last three logs on a box, so you know of recent activity.

Then you could log unlisted finds.

Then logbooks went completely public, where everyone could see every log on every box.

Then you could add comments when you logged finds, and everyone could read them.

Somewhere along the way, what was once a very secretive hobby about hidden treasures became a very public game of stamp collecting. I'm not actually criticizing that, believe it or not. But I think people need to understand and respect those who wish to keep things a little more under the radar.

I have letterboxes with logbooks that are full of trail names of folks who don't even have an account, let alone an online logbook to read. Their activities are completely private and anonymous, and I wouldn't even know they existed if I didn't see their names in logbooks out there in the real world.

Kelsung
Jul 11, 2011 12:17am
Thread
Not kidding at all.

There are some *very* disturbed people out there who aren't necessarily letterboxers themselves, but who know if someone's involved with a hobby, and will follow them around looking for *any* shred of information as to location or where else they can get info. It's sad, and kind of sick, but it does happen.

(speaking from experience here.)
Jul 11, 2011 1:41am
Thread
I agree that hiding finds shouldn't be the default -- but I'm not sure public finds should be the default either. Perhaps a third option, that there's a place on the registration process that asks if you want your finds to be public or hidden. It's not really important that the newbie makes an informed choice at that point; what's important is that he knows there is a choice so he can come back and revisit it if it becomes important to him later on down the line.
Reply to: #620198 by dingus dufus
Jul 11, 2011 1:42am
Thread
MookyDipper has graciously lent his box in Ecuador

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gBoxId=22459

as a "find" for us on several occasions on the same day we've planted a mystery box. Purposely listing a mystery on the same date you were somewhere else entirely can help cover your tracks.

Don't you get, like, a ridiculous number of letterboxing travelling miles out of this?
Reply to: #620204 by Kelsung
Jul 11, 2011 3:16am
Thread
Thank you for that information. Quite a history lesson to be sure. We have noticed that every so often we'll come upon a logbook that has been stamped but not recorded on AQ. We refer to the "Last Found" date that appears on the clues when planning a letterboxing day. It's a surprise when see the stamp-in dates in the logbook later than the last found date on the clue. The time interval could be a month or more so it was clearly not a case of they just haven't had a chance to log it in on AQ. And that's ok. To each their own. Perhaps the clue should indicate "Last Logged" instead?
Reply to: #620204 by Kelsung
Jul 11, 2011 3:51am
Thread
Very, very well said. :)
Re: Prickers, holly bushes, vines OH MY!
Reply to: #620156 by Kirbert
Jul 11, 2011 4:26am
Thread
I actually planted a letterbox in which a stickery holly bush was absolutely necessary to the clue. I wouldn't change a thing.
Reply to: #620224 by Mrs LAFS
Jul 11, 2011 4:29am
Thread
I planted one in the center of a group of cacti,however the clue give warning of tools needed so I don't feel bad about it either. I suppose, technicallyy it could be labeled an extreme box due to that need.
Reply to: #620121 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jul 11, 2011 4:46am
Thread

so, boxing in FL is the ONLY time I've ever run into a poisonous snake or THREE whilst out in the wild. Yes, you read that correctly. Three pigmy rattlers (according to the woman - my sister- I was with) in one day, hunting in Jax. Then we went to Disney and saw more wildlife!! Being from VT, I'm thinking it's a tamer sport up north.
~tigs
Reply to: #620218 by Mini Mouse
Jul 11, 2011 5:10am
Thread
Correction to my previous post: the clue indicates "Active" with the date.
Reply to: #620230 by tiggermama
Jul 11, 2011 5:47am
Thread

In Aug of 2005 we spent 8 days boxing from Tallahassee to Baton Rouge (found around 65 boxes); didn't see a single alligator! I was so bummed :(
Jul 11, 2011 7:00am
Thread
Letterboxer stalkers? You're kidding, right?

They go both ways, too. I hide my plants because I've had people stalk my logbook to figure out where bonus boxes were before they hit the trail. Ffter getting more than one email asking if a particular bonus box was with another box, my plants went hidden. If they want to find boxes, they can run a search and it will show them all of my boxes in the area in which they are searching. And if they are observant enough when out and about, they might just find a bonus or two, too. That's why it's called a bonus and not a series!
Reply to: #620001 by turkey feathers
Jul 11, 2011 7:11am
Thread
When you live where I do (Long Island), Poison Ivy is just a fact of life in the woods. Even if it isn't there when you plant the box, it most likely will be there at one point.

Jaxx
Reply to: #619993 by Family From Florida
Jul 11, 2011 7:35am
Thread
I planted my favorite box (Mystery Box - Park Landmarks) where there were lots of prickly things, but I didn't know it when I planted.

When I checked out the space and planted in summer, everything was thick and green, and just a few prickly things.

When I temporarily retrieved it for the winter, everything was covered with ice.

When I re-planted in spring, everything was soft and green.

When I tried to retrieve it in fall (I have good reasons for not letting this box sit there for the winter), there were so many thorns and prickles that I could not even get to the box. I tried to push my way into the woods, but I got so tangled up that I couldn't move forward anymore. Thorns were in my clothes and my hair, and when I tried to step forward they all pulled me back. I had to pull off my sweater to get out, and abandon the idea of grabbing my box; I still had several yards to go and everything looked even thicker over there. I figured the box was safe from muggles for a little while longer. :)

I eventually got the box back. I'm replanting it, but I need to decide whether I should find a slightly different spot or just put a warning in the clue that retrieving it will be nearly impossible in autumn.
Reply to: #620259 by Dizzy
Jul 11, 2011 9:32am
Thread
my plants went hidden.

they can run a search and it will show them all of my boxes in the area in which they are searching

Does anyone else do this? I absolutely do search by area for my actual boxing, but it has helped me as I attempt to get better at thinking about clues and hiding spots for planting as I have looked at how specific planters work. I'm a slow worker and learn so much from others. So, yes, I have looked at others' plant logbooks in order to glean ideas - most ideas are learned, not original, but a twist of someone else's idea, after all. You here on AQ are a clever bunch & I have much to learn! Why not learn from the experts? I also am quick to write private notes to different folks when they say something that I think I can learn from - I have made nice friendships like that along the way!

Just pondering this!
bluebirdlover
Reply to: #620230 by tiggermama
Jul 11, 2011 10:24am
Thread
so, boxing in FL is the ONLY time I've ever run into a poisonous snake or THREE whilst out in the wild. Yes, you read that correctly. Three pigmy rattlers (according to the woman - my sister- I was with) in one day, hunting in Jax.

Pigmy rattlers are relatively uncommon, amazing to see three in one day. Regular ol' rattlers are quite common, though. Either one is absolutely no threat unless you accidentally step on it (which is a bit too easy to do) or deliberately provoke it (which lots of people seem to think is the thing to do, and then blame the snake for being "nasty").

We also have coral snakes, again not particularly common, again not agressive, but the cause of occasional disasters when children try to pick one up because it's pretty.

Perhaps the most dangerous snake around these parts is the water moccasin. When in the water, these things have been known to be aggressive, apparently when you accidentally swim too close to their nest.

Being from VT, I'm thinking it's a tamer sport up north.

You've got blackflies up that way, doncha? I'll keep the snakes and gators, thank you very much.
Reply to: #620241 by Mn8X
Jul 11, 2011 10:26am
Thread
You actually found the Off Da Hook letterbox, didn't you? If you didn't see a gator, you didn't look.
Reply to: #620259 by Dizzy
Jul 11, 2011 10:30am
Thread
I do find it interesting that some boxers choose to research their trips so carefully as to take all the surprise out of it. They wanna know what bonus boxes they'll be finding, what's to see at every park, etc., etc. I deliberately try to AVOID knowing what I'm gonna see! If I can avoid reading the clues before I get there, I will! And when I write clues to my boxes, I generally try to avoid revealing what's to see there unless there's some reason the finder needs to know in advance. You've just gotta trust me on this, I'm bringing you here for a reason.
Re: digest
Reply to: #619811 by ladyval
Jul 11, 2011 10:54am
Thread
Yeah, been having this problem ever since the new Yahoo mail update. Sucks royally!

Dragon
Reply to: #620284 by bluebirdlover
Jul 11, 2011 11:17am
Thread
So, yes, I have looked at others' plant logbooks in order to glean ideas -

If this were the reason for someone wanting to check my plants, I would be more than happy to send them links to all of them. I have had some people email me and ask about my boxes and I provided them links to all boxes that were not bonus boxes, and if they were new I also told them to keep their eyes peeled in case other boxes appeared out of "nowhere." I've requested an easier way to hide bonus boxes in logbooks but Ryan and I really couldn't come up with a way to hide bonus boxes without hiding the plant logbook altogether. Honestly, if the bonus boxes were completely hidden from my logbook, I'd be more than happy to open my logbook back up so people can get ideas. But since the bonus boxes are in there, I won't open it back up. If you ever wants links to my regular boxes, just ask though. :)