A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Letterboxing No-Man's Land
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #619974 by Kirbert
Jul 10, 2011 9:47am
Thread
I think you could fix that, Kirbert, by having an event in your area.

:)
Prickers, holly bushes, vines OH MY!
Jul 10, 2011 11:11am
Thread
I would like people who plant their boxes inside prickly bushes to really re-think that. I have been boxing the past couple of weeks and right now I look like I was involved in a cat fight and the cat won! I am so tired of being pricked by thorny bushes, vines, and leaves while searching for boxes. It is so not fun.

Family from Florida
Jul 10, 2011 11:25am
Thread
I still think I live in a letterboxing desert.

Yeah, me too.
Re: Prickers, holly bushes, vines OH MY!
Reply to: #619993 by Family From Florida
Jul 10, 2011 11:46am
Thread
I'm an advocate of poison ivy
Jul 10, 2011 11:48am
Thread
We skip boxes in dangerous places and send the planter a note to let them know why we didn't find it.

Hugs and Neosporin to you!
Jul 10, 2011 12:19pm
Thread
In general, those kind of boxes planted in prickly bushes are typically found in drivebys. So when you see it, skip it and avoid the damage to yourself.

You are less likely to find boxes in those kinds of bushes on a trail. However, you'll find other things like Poison ivy, ticks, etc.

I don't plant in prickly bushes since I don't really enjoy those boxes either. But I've never had a problem skipping them when it gets to the point that it's not fun.
Reply to: #619995 by Gryffindors
Jul 10, 2011 12:34pm
Thread
I still think I live in a letterboxing desert.

I still have all of you beat - Dezert Ratty
Jul 10, 2011 12:35pm
Thread
Don't forget that sometimes people plant when the foliage is died down so they would have no idea what will sprout up when the leaves start turning green. I went to some boxes in Tulsa that were overgrown with wild rosebushes when I went, but probably weren't there when they were planted. I came home with huge gashes on my legs and a large hole in my toe where one of the thorns had dug in and ripped. It was my choice to go after those boxes... I could have turned around and gone after different ones instead. I'm pretty sure one or more of my own boxes have thorny bushes around them since I like to plant in November when things have died down. Then again, I also like to look for boxes in November for the same reason. Just wait a few months before you go again and you won't have much to worry about. :)
Jul 10, 2011 12:47pm
Thread
Do you have any in the Daytona /Cape Canaveral area (east coast)? We regularly travel on 95 when in FL.
Jul 10, 2011 1:05pm
Thread
There are letterboxes in West Texas that have never been found and probably never will be found. There are letterboxers out there that may never be found.
Jul 10, 2011 1:16pm
Thread
I just planted a box which has mulberry bushes going to it. However, in my clue I stated that there were bushes that could scratch. It was in the event that if you didn't want to get scratched, you don't go.
Reply to: #620022 by IRA Boxer
Jul 10, 2011 1:48pm
Thread
There are letterboxers out there that may never be found.

So the letterboxers are out there to find the
letterboxes in West Texas that have never been found and probably never will be found

and now the letterboxers are also lost. These must be very challenging clues to get these dedicated letterboxers lost along with the letterboxes!

Cheers!
bluebirdlover
Jul 10, 2011 2:12pm
Thread
This is another bone to pile on - I couldn't imagine a box at one of our newer rest areas - wide open, but when I read the clue I thought I might investigate since I drive by it weekly. So happens I had to stop and make a call - I don't text and drive! I followed the clue and it lead me to a mechanical/electrical box with warning signs and a hole in the bottom. I could see where it was, but I didn't want truckers and security cameras watching me. Is it really fun to plant something so public and dangerous at the same time? As of my search no one else has found it. I've decided I will not go for locations like this. I really don't want to be page one news.

~speedsquare, who still has knuckle pain from the pyracanthus thorn out of New Mexico last year
Reply to: #620012 by Dizzy
Jul 10, 2011 2:37pm
Thread
I went to some boxes in Tulsa that were overgrown with wild rosebushes

Okay, now you know I'm gonna ask it...were they mine? I would hope that you would say something about this to me or SM if it were ours, so we could do something, like move them. You would, right?
Reply to: #619995 by Gryffindors
Jul 10, 2011 2:47pm
Thread
To Gryffindors!! I am definitely putting Bellingham on my list for my August Hike-a-thon letterboxing hikes!! And I have several boxes that need to be planted too!!

-Amanda from Seattle
Reply to: #620012 by Dizzy
Jul 10, 2011 2:56pm
Thread
The boxes we find are while we are traveling. So, I try to get the drivebys because they are faster. We dont usually have the opportunity to come back to the area. Thanks for the advice though.
Reply to: #620058 by Okie Dog
Jul 10, 2011 3:32pm
Thread
Okie Dog, no they weren't yours. Love your carve by the way.
Reply to: #619985 by The Wolf Family
Jul 10, 2011 3:33pm
Thread
I think you could fix that, Kirbert, by having an event in your area.

Next thing you know, you'll have him petting cats and playing with cute little puppies. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #620069 by Green Tortuga
Jul 10, 2011 3:37pm
Thread
Next thing you know, you'll have him petting cats and playing with cute little puppies.

Only if you let him reverse their nibs!
Reply to: #620061 by Amanda from Seattle
Jul 10, 2011 3:39pm
Thread
I'm signed up already signed up for the Hike-a-Thon. So excited for this year!!! I was being faceitious about the desert thing, though... Bellingham has more boxes than you can shake a stick at. But you should definitely plant more! I always need more to find. :)
Reply to: #620070 by wassamatta u
Jul 10, 2011 3:53pm
Thread
Now it is kittens. Come on you are starting to sound like you are in a Will Ferrell movie,
Jul 10, 2011 3:55pm
Thread
There seem to be lots of deterents to boxing in Florida. Time (those on vacations), heat, humidity being the obvious ones.
Jul 10, 2011 3:57pm
Thread
Yes Virginia Beach has more than it's share of holly bushes. At least many planters let you know to bring gloves.
Jul 10, 2011 4:06pm
Thread
We have brambles and poison ivy here in the Rochester area. Brambles I can deal with by wearing long pants. That does help. Poison ivy is the one I look out for. Also, low branches on trees can be a problem.
Reply to: #620063 by Family From Florida
Jul 10, 2011 4:24pm
Thread
So, I try to get the drivebys because they are faster.

That's interesting. I saw someone else say they only see the thorns on the drive-bys, too. I don't think I've ever seen rosebushes on a drive-by box. The boxes I find in the middle of rosebushes are on longer hikes... not too long, becaues it's usually when I'm traveling, too, but usually the 1-3 mile range.
Reply to: #620063 by Family From Florida
Jul 10, 2011 4:25pm
Thread
Today my guide had me wading through stinging nettle
Reply to: #620077 by IrishRef
Jul 10, 2011 4:43pm
Thread
There seem to be lots of deterents to boxing in Florida. Time (those on vacations), heat, humidity being the obvious ones.

Time, heat, humidity, distance away from Delaware.... :)
Jul 10, 2011 5:19pm
Thread
I live in a letterboxing hotspot. Send me one of your carves and I'll gladly plant it!
Re: Searching Dangers (was "Letterboxing No-Man's Land")
Reply to: #620077 by IrishRef
Jul 10, 2011 5:51pm
Thread

Then there are the alligators.

I was geocaching down in Florida on a pedestrian bridge. It was the first span so I thought that it might be tucked up between the concrete abutment and the beam. It was low water, so the water was at least 100 feet away each direction. I only realized later that this is 'gater country, though I've never seen one in the wild, fortunately.

Here (in Utah) the only dangerous things we've got are black widows, brown recluse and rattle snakes. I've never seen the later two in the wild. I'm not used to the dangers elsewhere.

But Australia leads the world in poisonous animals. I certainly wouldn't want to be poking in hidey holes Down Under.
Reply to: #620095 by Dizzy
Jul 10, 2011 5:53pm
Thread
I saw someone else say they only see the thorns on the drive-bys, too.

I got my worst case of poison ivy from a drive by! It was worth it though, the stamp was outstanding! My backback for letterboxing is part food mart, part shed, part first aid station. I figure it is part of the adventure. I do my best to wear appropriate cothing, footware and socks, plus gloves when needed, and I look out for the hazards, but stuff happens. I keep it in mind when scouting out places for plants though.

Mini Mouse