A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: WOM Clues
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #619721 by Kelsung
Jul 8, 2011 4:25pm
Thread
It isn't a premium member clue cuz I can't see it either. Must be either a whitelist or a high PF.
Reply to: #619721 by Kelsung
Jul 8, 2011 4:56pm
Thread
What's the restriction on that second one? I've got P 173 and F 1020 and I can't see it! Is it premium members only?

Nope, not premium member either. Nor a Pin Up.
And since I'm P155 F1590-- I just figured I was blacklisted.
What a relief that it's not just me! LOL!
Reply to: #619678 by Dizzy
Jul 8, 2011 5:24pm
Thread
Dizzy, you're my kind of boxer LOL!! I wish you lived closer- we could get into all kinds of trouble!!
- tigs
Re: mailboxing
Reply to: #619722 by speedsquare
Jul 8, 2011 5:37pm
Thread
mailboxing is a federal offense.

So we will stick with letterboxing as the name!

Sounds the one handcuffed & the batter did okay for themselves! Maybe the experience scared them straight!!

bluebirdlover
Reply to: #619736 by tiggermama
Jul 8, 2011 6:34pm
Thread
Sorry folks - suffering from a Benadryl hangover - I posted a box that is in mid listing... I listed the clues the day I went to plant it and could finish planting it... thus I upped the restictions to the moon... being in a drug induced stupor after a hornet sting yesterday - I forgot about the restrictions.

Sorry folks... I'll fix it so you can read it.
mud
digest
Jul 9, 2011 8:02am
Thread
I get the daily digest for my favorite boards and I noticed lately I can't scroll down to get the last 10 messages or so....any suggestions? on Yahoo if it's truncated it will let you click and show them but not on this digest. Help?

ladyval
Fun Day
Jul 9, 2011 3:52pm
Thread
My plan today was to get some stuff done around the house, catch up with Gypsy Ladybug and CookieCutter then come home and eventually put my desk together. You know what they say about plans. The girls and I got some chinese for lunch then after we got a couple of boxes they were nice enough to go with me to get a couple I didn't have yet. All that chinese food and letterboxing in the hot sun made me one tired girl. I think my face is sunburnt too. I think I am postponing my date with the desk until tomorrow morning. It's a small price to pay for a fun day! Thanks GLB and CC!
Re: Fun Day
Reply to: #619865 by Loopie
Jul 9, 2011 5:22pm
Thread
My To-Do list is still waiting as well. We were enjoying ourselves too much today to worry about chores.

It was hot - but a beautiful day to be out. We were more than happy to go with you to the letterboxes. Plus, we were first to find on two new ones today! That's always a bonus.

Thanks for a fun day!
I hope everyone else is enjoying the weekend as well.
Letterboxing No-Man's Land
Jul 10, 2011 8:23am
Thread
I still think I live in a letterboxing desert. I spent a couple of weeks in Tennessee recently and planted a half dozen letterboxes along the way. All but one were found within a couple of days of planting, including one that was a state mystery box. I've planted boxes here in the Tallahassee area that have gone unfound for months.

The one thing I have going here is that anyone driving from points W of Florida to Disneyworld in Orlando pretty much has to pass by here on I-10, and sometimes they take the time to find a box or two. It's always a drive-by, though, and it's rarely more than one or two.
Re: Letterboxing No-Man's Land
Reply to: #619974 by Kirbert
Jul 10, 2011 9:31am
Thread
I was interested to see that my boxes that I planted in Branson on a HOT hike (out in the open on large rocks that emanate heat) were found sooner and more often than the ones I plant in Springfield. Interestingly enough, there are boxers in Springfield and none in Branson... the ones that were found in Branson were travelers. I'm thinking of planting more down there because it is fun to see the find reports. I still have one in Springfield that was planted in March that has no finders and it isn't a long walk nor are the clues difficult.
Jul 10, 2011 9:47am
Thread
I think you could fix that, Kirbert, by having an event in your area.

:)
Prickers, holly bushes, vines OH MY!
Jul 10, 2011 11:11am
Thread
I would like people who plant their boxes inside prickly bushes to really re-think that. I have been boxing the past couple of weeks and right now I look like I was involved in a cat fight and the cat won! I am so tired of being pricked by thorny bushes, vines, and leaves while searching for boxes. It is so not fun.

Family from Florida
Jul 10, 2011 11:25am
Thread
I still think I live in a letterboxing desert.

Yeah, me too.
Re: Prickers, holly bushes, vines OH MY!
Reply to: #619993 by Family From Florida
Jul 10, 2011 11:46am
Thread
I'm an advocate of poison ivy
Jul 10, 2011 11:48am
Thread
We skip boxes in dangerous places and send the planter a note to let them know why we didn't find it.

Hugs and Neosporin to you!
Jul 10, 2011 12:19pm
Thread
In general, those kind of boxes planted in prickly bushes are typically found in drivebys. So when you see it, skip it and avoid the damage to yourself.

You are less likely to find boxes in those kinds of bushes on a trail. However, you'll find other things like Poison ivy, ticks, etc.

I don't plant in prickly bushes since I don't really enjoy those boxes either. But I've never had a problem skipping them when it gets to the point that it's not fun.
Reply to: #619995 by Gryffindors
Jul 10, 2011 12:34pm
Thread
I still think I live in a letterboxing desert.

I still have all of you beat - Dezert Ratty
Jul 10, 2011 12:35pm
Thread
Don't forget that sometimes people plant when the foliage is died down so they would have no idea what will sprout up when the leaves start turning green. I went to some boxes in Tulsa that were overgrown with wild rosebushes when I went, but probably weren't there when they were planted. I came home with huge gashes on my legs and a large hole in my toe where one of the thorns had dug in and ripped. It was my choice to go after those boxes... I could have turned around and gone after different ones instead. I'm pretty sure one or more of my own boxes have thorny bushes around them since I like to plant in November when things have died down. Then again, I also like to look for boxes in November for the same reason. Just wait a few months before you go again and you won't have much to worry about. :)
Jul 10, 2011 12:47pm
Thread
Do you have any in the Daytona /Cape Canaveral area (east coast)? We regularly travel on 95 when in FL.
Jul 10, 2011 1:05pm
Thread
There are letterboxes in West Texas that have never been found and probably never will be found. There are letterboxers out there that may never be found.
Jul 10, 2011 1:16pm
Thread
I just planted a box which has mulberry bushes going to it. However, in my clue I stated that there were bushes that could scratch. It was in the event that if you didn't want to get scratched, you don't go.
Reply to: #620022 by IRA Boxer
Jul 10, 2011 1:48pm
Thread
There are letterboxers out there that may never be found.

So the letterboxers are out there to find the
letterboxes in West Texas that have never been found and probably never will be found

and now the letterboxers are also lost. These must be very challenging clues to get these dedicated letterboxers lost along with the letterboxes!

Cheers!
bluebirdlover
Jul 10, 2011 2:12pm
Thread
This is another bone to pile on - I couldn't imagine a box at one of our newer rest areas - wide open, but when I read the clue I thought I might investigate since I drive by it weekly. So happens I had to stop and make a call - I don't text and drive! I followed the clue and it lead me to a mechanical/electrical box with warning signs and a hole in the bottom. I could see where it was, but I didn't want truckers and security cameras watching me. Is it really fun to plant something so public and dangerous at the same time? As of my search no one else has found it. I've decided I will not go for locations like this. I really don't want to be page one news.

~speedsquare, who still has knuckle pain from the pyracanthus thorn out of New Mexico last year
Reply to: #620012 by Dizzy
Jul 10, 2011 2:37pm
Thread
I went to some boxes in Tulsa that were overgrown with wild rosebushes

Okay, now you know I'm gonna ask it...were they mine? I would hope that you would say something about this to me or SM if it were ours, so we could do something, like move them. You would, right?
Reply to: #619995 by Gryffindors
Jul 10, 2011 2:47pm
Thread
To Gryffindors!! I am definitely putting Bellingham on my list for my August Hike-a-thon letterboxing hikes!! And I have several boxes that need to be planted too!!

-Amanda from Seattle
Reply to: #620012 by Dizzy
Jul 10, 2011 2:56pm
Thread
The boxes we find are while we are traveling. So, I try to get the drivebys because they are faster. We dont usually have the opportunity to come back to the area. Thanks for the advice though.
Reply to: #620058 by Okie Dog
Jul 10, 2011 3:32pm
Thread
Okie Dog, no they weren't yours. Love your carve by the way.
Reply to: #619985 by The Wolf Family
Jul 10, 2011 3:33pm
Thread
I think you could fix that, Kirbert, by having an event in your area.

Next thing you know, you'll have him petting cats and playing with cute little puppies. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #620069 by Green Tortuga
Jul 10, 2011 3:37pm
Thread
Next thing you know, you'll have him petting cats and playing with cute little puppies.

Only if you let him reverse their nibs!
Reply to: #620061 by Amanda from Seattle
Jul 10, 2011 3:39pm
Thread
I'm signed up already signed up for the Hike-a-Thon. So excited for this year!!! I was being faceitious about the desert thing, though... Bellingham has more boxes than you can shake a stick at. But you should definitely plant more! I always need more to find. :)