Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: WOM Clues
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #619553 by bluebirdlover
Jul 7, 2011 8:59pm
Thread
what? "not met any of these people"

Anyone who hasn't met Goofy girl please raise your hand...
Reply to: #619554 by FORAYCH
Jul 7, 2011 9:15pm
Thread
I am willing to carve any stamp image he chooses for me if I lose the bet or am open to some other type of wager.

Hmmmm... am I being set up here? Have you already solved it and you're gonna wait to spring it on me?

Aw heck... you're on, Jeff!!
Reply to: #619489 by Baqash
Jul 7, 2011 9:34pm
Thread
I've had requests just like this. I either ignore them or write back asking for further information like what box are they referring to. 9 times out of 10 they never respond to that email.
Reply to: #619537 by FORAYCH
Jul 7, 2011 9:38pm
Thread
I will vouch that Wassa actually solved the box and found it.. first person to actually solve the clue!
Reply to: #619563 by wassamatta u
Jul 7, 2011 9:43pm
Thread
You two are making my night. As I sit here in the full throws of pneumonia, I come upon this and went from complete misery to utter glee.

Thank you!!!
Reply to: #619567 by Maiden
Jul 7, 2011 9:44pm
Thread
As I sit here in the full throws of pneumonia, I come upon this and went from complete misery to utter glee.

We're here to help! Get well soon, Dear Maiden!!
Reply to: #619569 by wassamatta u
Jul 7, 2011 10:00pm
Thread
Yes, Maiden please get better - pneumonia be gone!!!

Wassa, I have not solved it - but will certainly put energy into doing so now! As for your challenge - I hope you solve that one as it seems a doozy that needs some attention!!!

Jeff
Re: poison ivy wipes.
Reply to: #617830 by Kirbert
Jul 8, 2011 6:51am
Thread
How would you ever know how effective they are? I tromp over poison ivy all the time and rarely come up with a rash, primarily because I stomp on the plants rather than push through them

Well I do the same thing. The urushiol oil residue can remain on your boots or clothing for a while. The wipes aren't used until after you've had a "run-in" with said suspicious plant. I used to "hop" over the plants. My daughter watched me do this and begain doing the same thing on a scout hiking trip ~ hopping over ALL the green plants in the middle of the trail. LOL, so silly. Now she just looks for leaves of 3.

I know Stinkerbell carries Poison Ivy soap and bathes in it at the end of the day. She's had some success with this, but it never helps when you actually sit on urushiol ;)
Jul 8, 2011 7:20am
Thread
"It's behind the sign that says 'DANGER cliff' "

Shiloh
Jul 8, 2011 7:26am
Thread
I've gotten something similar -- someone asking for how to decrypt an encrypted clue. They asked me and everyone who had logged it. They didn't have any finds for any of my other boxes (which you would need in order to decrypt the clue).

[._.]
mailboxing
Jul 8, 2011 7:34am
Thread
I had to laugh when I got a nice message from my non-letterboxer friend who said, "Hope the summer is allowing you a little fun, mailboxing, perhaps..." :-)
Jul 8, 2011 7:38am
Thread
Hit the Delete

deniserows
descisively
Reply to: #619553 by bluebirdlover
Jul 8, 2011 8:06am
Thread
And we should be doing something productive!

I did! I found 2 boxes, searched for another 5, and planted 3 yesterday! In 109° weather, no less!!!
Re: mailboxing
Reply to: #619610 by roo
Jul 8, 2011 8:08am
Thread
You would be surprised the people that call it that when we have explained .....and gotten that glazed look from them after!
Reply to: #619617 by Granny Butterfly
Jul 8, 2011 8:16am
Thread
One I most often get is, what is ltterboxing
Reply to: #619604 by Aiphid
Jul 8, 2011 8:18am
Thread
I found a box like that once.. had to find a bunch of others first. Wasn't a dileberate side stepngg cuz I didn't figure that part until after I found the box by determined perserverance and snoop boxing
Reply to: #619623 by Baqash
Jul 8, 2011 8:21am
Thread
I've had a couple call it "picture boxing"..hummm must be the fact that there is a stamped image in explaination
Jul 8, 2011 8:26am
Thread
mailboxing

I like that - for those of us who play in the postal world! I wish I had some mailboxing happening right now, as a matter of fact!

bluebirdlover
cheers to your mailboxing!
Jul 8, 2011 9:27am
Thread
Haha! I had a friend call it shadowboxing.
Jul 8, 2011 9:31am
Thread
mailboxing

Adventure Crafter used to, and probably still does occasionally, refer to it as "Adventure Crafting" (hence her trail name).

[._.]
Jul 8, 2011 9:54am
Thread
Well, in a sense, that's what it is. What we call a mailbox is called a letterbox in England, which is how this hobby got it's name. People used to leave pre-addressed post cards before rubber stamps.

Kelsung
Reply to: #619616 by Dizzy
Jul 8, 2011 12:29pm
Thread
I did! I found 2 boxes, searched for another 5, and planted 3 yesterday! In 109° weather, no less!!!

Pretty impressive track record there Dizzy! I am properly impressed! Good for you! You rank up there i my book!

Does it rub off?
bluebirdlover
Reply to: #619675 by bluebirdlover
Jul 8, 2011 12:50pm
Thread
Pretty impressive track record there Dizzy! I am properly impressed! Good for you! You rank up there i my book!

I was with Goofy Girl at the time, so she has the same stats for yesterday. :) Except one of the boxes I found was hers, so I guess she doesn't have the same finds. We had fun! It was a long day, though, because she had a 3-1/2 hour drive and I had a 2 hour drive to get to our destination. I slept like a rock last night, though.

Does it rub off?

Depends... if I'm in full-out "boxing mode" and you happen to be in my vicinity when it happens, I'll grab you and drag you with me. I usually leave as early as possible and box until I'm about ready to collapse (which is longer if the weather isn't so hot).
Reply to: #619604 by Aiphid
Jul 8, 2011 12:59pm
Thread
Okay, okay... I'll go find one of your dang boxes. You didn't have to rat me out on the boards : )

Just cause I'm cryptex stupid... can't a gal catch a break : )
Reply to: #619682 by mudflinginfools
Jul 8, 2011 1:05pm
Thread
Just cause I'm cryptex stupid

Don't let her fool ya! hee hee
Reply to: #619683 by angel treads
Jul 8, 2011 1:07pm
Thread
Aren't you supposed to be busy with family???

Slingin' mud is my job : )
Reply to: #619682 by mudflinginfools
Jul 8, 2011 1:07pm
Thread
Okay, okay... I'll go find one of your dang boxes. You didn't have to rat me out on the boards : )

LOL! It was a newly-hatched egg that wanted the info :) I'm pretty sure that you started a while before we did!

I don't mind if seasoned boxers ask for info as I'm more than happy to give hints ;)

That particular box uses a keyword based cipher and the keyword is "in the wild".

[._.]
Reply to: #619683 by angel treads
Jul 8, 2011 1:09pm
Thread
mudflinginfools: Just cause I'm cryptex stupid

Don't let her fool ya! hee hee

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she's just trying to make us think that she's not good at them, so she can sneak one on us ;)

[._.]
Reply to: #619687 by Aiphid
Jul 8, 2011 1:17pm
Thread
Who me? slip a cypher in on you - Teacup with SMACK me!

I'd never do that : )

http://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/clue/?gBoxId=171782 or
http://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/clue/?gBoxId=172913
Reply to: #619685 by mudflinginfools
Jul 8, 2011 1:20pm
Thread
Stressfully awaiting family. grrr Gotta sling a little once in awhile. You rub off!