A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Wildlife
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #597299 by Kirbert
Apr 5, 2011 4:50am
Thread
Why do you say hunters (whether they're sport hunters or paid sharpshooters) kill the strongest and healthiest rather than the sick and weak? I'm not a hunter, but wouldn't the sick and the weak make good targets for human predators too? Or is it because trophy hunters want big healthy specimens? Not disagreeing - just curious.
Re: Family Fun again
Reply to: #597254 by Romana
Apr 5, 2011 6:01am
Thread
I was a member at both sites before I found my first box.

I looked at my AQ profile and I joined 2 days after finding my first box. I agree with Romana, if one is interested they will find this site too.

hx6
Reply to: #597299 by Kirbert
Apr 5, 2011 6:30am
Thread
Heaven forbid should hunters actually kill something that provides food for their families.

I sure as hell don't want my husband, son, or myself bringing down (and wasting tags) a sick animal. They won't fill our freezers or our bellies.
Re: Need help
Reply to: #597225 by The Wolf Family
Apr 5, 2011 6:44am
Thread
Funny how people have different ideas of what may be too steep or strenuous. ;)

I think you live to goat me.

Legends I and II are fairly flat.....albeit a bit of a hike...and then there's Our Family Series which is quite flat.

3 Blind Mice
Reply to: #597206 by Fiddleheads
Apr 5, 2011 8:31am
Thread
How far is driving distance of CT? We've got some pretty fantatic boxes up here in Ontario.

Co-signed, on the fantastic boxes in Ontario. :-) And of course, WNY is right nearby, with all of our many boxes here, as well.

BAC
Reply to: #597233 by The Rowe-vers
Apr 5, 2011 8:57am
Thread
There's lots of good boxing on the Cape especially near Falmouth..
F666
Apr 5, 2011 10:14am
Thread
The Mark of the Beast? But it was an image of the cutest book worm you could imagine. I think I need to get another find real soon.
Re: F666
Reply to: #597423 by BBStacker
Apr 5, 2011 10:15am
Thread
***Throws hellacious confetti*****

GG
Reply to: #597323 by TrailTroll
Apr 5, 2011 10:48am
Thread
Why do you say hunters (whether they're sport hunters or paid sharpshooters) kill the strongest and healthiest rather than the sick and weak? I'm not a hunter, but wouldn't the sick and the weak make good targets for human predators too? Or is it because trophy hunters want big healthy specimens?

The trophy hunters want the biggest, most impressive specimens, and the gun doesn't care, it can kill the 12-point buck just as readily as the weakest doe. The food hunters -- and there are a lot of them around here -- typically will just shoot the first deer that enters the clearing, but guess what, the first deer that enters the clearing is normally the leader of that group, the strongest and fittest.

SWMBO and I refer to the "redneck mentality" that is prevalent in our area of FL. Basically, it's the conviction that rules and regulations are for other people, not for them. We went fishing this past weekend because it was Free Fishing Weekend here in FL, the two days of the year you can fish without a license. We mentioned that to several other fishermen we met, and at least two of them told us outright they didn't know anything about free fishing weekend, they had never bothered to get a license anyway! Likewise, the redneck hunters around here don't give a rip about hunting season, or the fact that it's illegal to hunt from a public highway, or that hunters are only supposed to shoot male deer, shooting females is extremely limited. Basically, they see a deer, they shoot it, wherever they are, whatever date it is, and "we don't need no stinkin' license, we've been shooting deer around here since forever." Then they dress the deer and dump the carcass off the side of a dead-end road somewhere so it can stink up the area real good.

And don't forget that they seem incapable of holding onto an empty beer can or bottle, it falls wherever they happen to be standing. These people are incredible slobs. Any good fishing spot or picnicking spot invariably requires a half hour spent filling a couple of trash bags before it's habitable by regular human beings.
Apr 5, 2011 11:37am
Thread
I planned a special trip for mine: the only box within 150 miles that had Devil in the name.

http://letterboxing.kelsung.com/journal/011610.htm

Kelsung
Reply to: #597438 by Kelsung
Apr 5, 2011 12:00pm
Thread
Unfortunately there was no planning for mine. I needed a book at the library and there just happened to be a box I haven't found yet in that branch. Couldn't turn down the opportunity. Noticed my find count when I got home and logged in.
Reply to: #597424 by Goofy girl
Apr 5, 2011 12:52pm
Thread
Did you pick it up when you were visiting Hell?
Re: Happy AQ anniversary, Dartmoorseeker!
Reply to: #597106 by LyssaGirl
Apr 5, 2011 2:00pm
Thread
Thank you so much everyone! (:
Apr 5, 2011 3:34pm
Thread
A new library box went live yesterday!
Reply to: #597496 by Casa del Sol
Apr 5, 2011 4:11pm
Thread
Sure sol... AFTER I was there
Reply to: #597496 by Casa del Sol
Apr 5, 2011 4:16pm
Thread
A new library box went live yesterday!

Trust me! I know. But I have to take my time and savor these jewels.
Reply to: #597507 by BBStacker
Apr 5, 2011 6:27pm
Thread
Wow! Thanks for the compliment! :)

Planting on Sat... and maybe (fingers crossed) on Mon.
Reply to: #597353 by 3 Blind Mice
Apr 5, 2011 6:42pm
Thread
I think you live to goat me.

Yeah, pretty much. ;)
Reply to: #597456 by koalacat
Apr 5, 2011 8:21pm
Thread
why of course!

GG
The first box I ever planted has finally been found
Apr 5, 2011 11:23pm
Thread
This poor little box has been languishing since November, 2008. I figured it was lost, since I hadn't heard, and since it is on the Coromandel Peninsula of the North Island, I have not had the opportunity to check on it. (Great location, though -- I don't know why nobody visits there.)

The ironic thing is that it was found by someone I introduced to letterboxing -- She was on holiday in New Zealand, and we picked her up as a hitchhiker while on a letterboxing trip ourselves. She came with us to hunt for one of the boxes we were looking for (and found!), and now, it sounds as if she may be hooked.
Re: The first box I ever planted has finally been found
Reply to: #597580 by 55 Steps
Apr 5, 2011 11:59pm
Thread
Hip! Hip!

Hooray!

Hip! Hip!

Hooray!

Hip! Hip!

Hooray!

Apr 6, 2011 12:01am
Thread
Well, now you know what you gotta do to get more finders!
Re: Family Fun again
Reply to: #597194 by Hart x6
Apr 6, 2011 5:29am
Thread
[Family Fun] did a few years ago (which I know led several of us to the hobby!)

Mine was a FF article 8 years ago!
Found "Pass It On Hitchhiker"
Apr 6, 2011 9:00am
Thread
I found this hitchhiker by The Remarkables (in Key West, FL), but can't log it in. Owner/box unknown. Says on the log book to go to letterbox.org--found no such site on the internet.
Re: Found "Pass It On Hitchhiker"
Reply to: #597642 by FL Traveler
Apr 6, 2011 9:35am
Thread
[this] is probably what they meant.
Reply to: #597642 by FL Traveler
Apr 6, 2011 9:36am
Thread
Reply to: #597654 by Dizzy
Apr 6, 2011 9:56am
Thread
Thanks Dizzy. I am on my phone and couldn't get LBNA to load on it.

SFF
Reply to: #597659 by Silva Foot Family
Apr 6, 2011 10:20am
Thread
I have trouble getting LBNA to load on my phone, too. It takes FFFFFFOOOOORRRREEEVVVVVEEERRRRR but it *usually* loads after a few minutes. There have been times that it wouldn't load at all.
Apr 6, 2011 10:32am
Thread
What's the latest on your recovery from the earthquake? I'm sure we're not the only ones wondering.

wishing you well
RJ
Reply to: #597667 by Dizzy
Apr 6, 2011 1:29pm
Thread
What kind of phone? It loads on my iPhone just fine.