A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: 'Midnight Madness' scavenger/clue hunt movie
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #583883 by paper trail
Apr 4, 2011 1:22pm
Thread
Ok, so I checked this out at my local library and we are going to watch it tonight. The question is, is it appropriate for my grade school daughter to watch? The rating is PG but there are some PG movies I'd let my daughter watch and some I won't. What's the worst kind of stuff that happens in this movie?

//Edited to add://

Found this quote on IMDB:

Bratty kid: [looking through telescope at a girl getting undressed in window] If I'm lucky, I may get a view of Venus' two moons.
Adam: [pointing at the sky in the other direction] Hey, Einstein - isn't Venus over there?

Is there nudity? It's a definite no if there's nudity!
Reply to: #597153 by Dizzy
Apr 4, 2011 1:54pm
Thread
Go here:

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/

Type in the name of the movie, and it'll tell you everything you need to know about language, sex, etc. A great site.
Re: Happy AQ anniversary, Dartmoorseeker!
Reply to: #597106 by LyssaGirl
Apr 4, 2011 1:55pm
Thread
you know that means *****Throws confetti, releases balloons, and rolls out the cake*****

GG
Re: Family Fun again
Reply to: #597151 by ArtGekko
Apr 4, 2011 2:27pm
Thread
. Directs people to letterboxing.org.

Maybe someone outta write "Family Fun" and tell them about the other exciting letterboxing web site!
Just my two shavings worth,

TK
Reply to: #583883 by paper trail
Apr 4, 2011 3:03pm
Thread
Thanks for reminding me about this movie. I requested it so I can watch it with my college aged daughter.....
Reply to: #597162 by TerraKacher
Apr 4, 2011 3:08pm
Thread
Maybe someone outta write "Family Fun" and tell them about the other exciting letterboxing web site!

Actually, the article directs people to the website to learn more. The site has the article they did a few years ago (which I know led several of us to the hobby!) and while AQ is not mentioned in the article, it is in at least 2 of the comments. So those who want to learn more will most likely find us!
Reply to: #597158 by Fiddleheads
Apr 4, 2011 4:21pm
Thread
I checked but it didn't come up. The movie is probably too old. Oh well, I guess we will start the movie and turn it off if it starts looking iffy. Thanks. :)
Re: Today Is A Horrible Day.
Reply to: #597093 by dartmoorseeker
Apr 4, 2011 4:52pm
Thread
Today is your AQ-versary! Hope your day gets better and your week is full of sunshine and lovely weather. Good luck on the testing.
Reply to: #597170 by Monkeys!
Apr 4, 2011 5:26pm
Thread
[Family Fun] did a few years ago (which I know led several of us to the hobby!)

That's how I learned of Lbing!!

hx6
Apr 4, 2011 5:58pm
Thread
The rating is PG...

Is there nudity?

I'd be pretty surprised if there was any nudity in a movie rated as PG! I can't remember any nudity in the movie when I saw it, but I probably last saw that movie 20 years ago, so it's not like I have a photographic memory of the movie.

But really? Has there ever been a PG movie with any sort of nudity at all? Seems like even a statue of David in the background would have disqualified it as PG (which I think is stupid, but that's another story....)

-- Ryan
Need help
Apr 4, 2011 5:58pm
Thread
I REALLY need to have a three day letterboxing weekend somewhere...... I REALLY need out of here!

There's one problem. I would need to go somewhere with trails that aren't too steep or strenuous, since it's been SO long since I've done any serious letterboxing, that my knees and back can't do the things that they used to.

I want to find a place where there are plentiful AMAZING carvings.... within driving distance of CT.

Any ideas?

BB
Re: Need help
Reply to: #597205 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 4, 2011 6:00pm
Thread
How far is driving distance of CT? We've got some pretty fantatic boxes up here in Ontario.
Apr 4, 2011 6:02pm
Thread
http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gEventId=1227
Go here.... I've done the remnants of other events there; very fun!
You could box your way down...
Apr 4, 2011 6:20pm
Thread
I want to find a place where there are plentiful AMAZING carvings.... within driving distance of CT.

Try these: http://www.atlasquest.com/results.html?gTypeId=1;gName=Legends;gOwnerId=15756;gStatus=0;gSubFlags=0
Reply to: #597217 by 3 Blind Mice
Apr 4, 2011 6:38pm
Thread
Try these: http://www.atlasquest.com/results.html?gTypeId=1;gName=Legends;gOwnerId=15756;gStatus=0;gSubFlags=0

While, those do have fantastic carves there was another requirement:

I would need to go somewhere with trails that aren't too steep or strenuous

The grade of Legends III it pretty darn steep in parts, and Legends I is a 6.75 mile hike.

Funny how people have different ideas of what may be too steep or strenuous. ;)
Apr 4, 2011 7:05pm
Thread
I just came back from a two day trip to Martha's Vinyard. It was great and lots of easier boxes!
Reply to: #597230 by EverAfter83
Apr 4, 2011 7:07pm
Thread
Martha's Vinyard.

I'm plannig to plant a series there as soon as I can get back out there... hopefully early this summer.
Apr 4, 2011 7:11pm
Thread
ANDOVER! Plenty of moderate trails all over! I HIGHLY recommend the Goldsmith Woodlands and Ward Hill!
Reply to: #597204 by Green Tortuga
Apr 4, 2011 7:30pm
Thread
But really? Has there ever been a PG movie with any sort of nudity at all?

I asked if there was nudity but I guess I should have asked how much you got to see because the reference clearly stated that the kid was watching someone get undressed. I was surprised when I read that because I didn't think you'd be able to see something like that in a PG movie which is why I asked. I don't remember what was considered PG in the 80s and whether a bare backside would have been "ok." Turns out, all you ever saw her take off was her cardigan sweater, but my finger was poised on the stop button on the remote.

There were some iffy parts in the movie, like when the clue was "Look between the giant melons" and they meant the busty waitress with the lowcut uniform. Luckily, most of the iffy parts went right over dd's head.
Reply to: #597162 by TerraKacher
Apr 4, 2011 8:03pm
Thread
tell them about the other exciting letterboxing web site!

no need to. I got into boxing, not from a magazine, but from someone writing "Want to keep your kids busy and outdoors this summer? www.letterboxing.org" at the bottom of a school email week after week after week. finally my curiosity overcame me, and I went and poked around over there. links there led me here. I was a member at both sites before I found my first box. there was no looking back after that.

for the full story, if you want it, read my blog about it.

let those who try it and don't like it poke around over there...those who love boxing will find their way over here on their own.

Romana
Apr 4, 2011 8:48pm
Thread
Ridley Creek State Park, in Media, PA... There are dozens of Amazing carves by a few different people. I've spent two long days in the park and there are still quite a bit more left for me to find. When I want to turn someone on to letterboxing.... those are the pages of my logbook I turn to.

Media is only about a half hour from Philadelphia if you want to check out the city too.
Reply to: #597266 by EmcSquared
Apr 4, 2011 9:46pm
Thread
I agree- there are a ton in the Philadelphia area and the ones in Ridley are great- Mizscarlet has some great carves.
Re: new to the game
Reply to: #596772 by BunnyFooFoo
Apr 4, 2011 10:36pm
Thread
Bunny Foo Foo,

Welcome to WA... Glad you are also enjoying it!!! We love it and she is not always as interested as I would like either; but they are both young and will enjoy it more when they have better attention spans!!!

And as you said, I also use the writing to help on her improvement...

I don't ahve any more ideas (well not right now) but feel free to keep in touch and maybe we can "meet in the middle" for a little letterboxing adventure some time. If not, maybe we will meet at an event.

Mommy Turtle
Team Turtle_Bugg
(my daughter is little Bugg, but she does not have her own profile yet... do you find it better to keep seperate profiles? I have been considering it but don't know anyone who does it!)
Apr 4, 2011 11:16pm
Thread
I know you're familiar with the Cape, which has both hills and flat walks.

(S)lower Delaware still has quite a few nice stamps left over from a few large gathers. And very few hills. Especially in the pubs.
Re: Wildlife
Reply to: #597095 by TrailTroll
Apr 4, 2011 11:51pm
Thread
We've got metroparks that are so overrun with deer they bring sharpshooters in once a year to cull the population.

I've heard deer described as "rats with antlers." Where my brother lives in Texas they have crosswalks for the deer -- and they actually use them, which never ceases to amaze me. But the road signs don't say "Deer Crossing", they say "Please Don't Feed The Deer". Apparently everyone is miffed about people encouraging the deer to stick around the suburban neighborhoods rather than wandering off to some wilderness where they belong. When people are bitching about the deer rather than being happy to see them, I guess there are too many.

We all know the problem, of course: We humans have killed off all their predators. Whenever a species has no predators, its population expands until it suffers widespread starvation and disease. The deer need more mountain lions to keep them happy and healthy. Since we seem unwilling to coexist with mountain lions, we have to substitute hunters with rifles -- who usually kill the strongest and healthiest rather than the sick and weak.
Apr 5, 2011 3:26am
Thread
No, no nudity - just the suggestion of, and comment about.
Reply to: #597299 by Kirbert
Apr 5, 2011 4:50am
Thread
Why do you say hunters (whether they're sport hunters or paid sharpshooters) kill the strongest and healthiest rather than the sick and weak? I'm not a hunter, but wouldn't the sick and the weak make good targets for human predators too? Or is it because trophy hunters want big healthy specimens? Not disagreeing - just curious.
Reply to: #597254 by Romana
Apr 5, 2011 6:01am
Thread
I was a member at both sites before I found my first box.

I looked at my AQ profile and I joined 2 days after finding my first box. I agree with Romana, if one is interested they will find this site too.

hx6
Reply to: #597299 by Kirbert
Apr 5, 2011 6:30am
Thread
Heaven forbid should hunters actually kill something that provides food for their families.

I sure as hell don't want my husband, son, or myself bringing down (and wasting tags) a sick animal. They won't fill our freezers or our bellies.
Reply to: #597225 by The Wolf Family
Apr 5, 2011 6:44am
Thread
Funny how people have different ideas of what may be too steep or strenuous. ;)

I think you live to goat me.

Legends I and II are fairly flat.....albeit a bit of a hike...and then there's Our Family Series which is quite flat.

3 Blind Mice