A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Wildlife
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #596884 by 55 Steps
Apr 3, 2011 11:56am
Thread
Put on the threatening posture and made agressive noises. It took FOREVER to get past him.

See....we should all practice our "posturing and aggressive noise making" on a more regular basis!

;}
Y~K b
Reply to: #596800 by felixpezgirl
Apr 3, 2011 3:35pm
Thread
We too saw a red fox this past week while letterboxing. We have quite a few in the area so that's not too unusual. However, we did see a red tail hawk being attacked by a falcon, that was being attacked by a crow. it was fun watching each of them trying to act more menacing than the other.

3 Blind Mice
Reply to: #596919 by 3 Blind Mice
Apr 3, 2011 4:49pm
Thread
we did see a red tail hawk being attacked by a falcon, that was being attacked by a crow

Three Blind Mice saw three crazy birds.

Shiloh
Reply to: #596926 by shiloh
Apr 3, 2011 4:56pm
Thread
You think that is funny... try reading "cow" for "crow" like I did.
Reply to: #596884 by 55 Steps
Apr 3, 2011 9:52pm
Thread
It took FOREVER to get past him

but did you get the box?

romana
Reply to: #596987 by Romana
Apr 3, 2011 10:50pm
Thread
but did you get the box?

Sadly, no. There was another seal guarding the box, and while he was not as aggressive, he definitely did not want to let us get close to him -- which meant we couldn't search properly. I think that box is just not to be mine. : (
Reply to: #596919 by 3 Blind Mice
Apr 3, 2011 10:53pm
Thread
We too saw a red fox this past week while letterboxing.

Where are you? Because if you're in the US, I'd bet you did not. The grey fox is often almost completely red, but that doesn't make him a red fox which is a different breed. A red fox is smaller, completely red, and originally found exclusively in England, although I think some may have been imported to the US for hunting.
Reply to: #596991 by Kirbert
Apr 4, 2011 4:49am
Thread
although I think some may have been imported to the US for hunting.

which mean they could have propagated....
Apr 4, 2011 6:12am
Thread
The Missouri Conservation Department seem to think there are red foxes in the state. They include them along with the grey foxes with photos of both in literature about native animals. Several years ago a red fox visted our yard for about a month around 6 AM.
Apr 4, 2011 6:31am
Thread
Kirbert,

We too saw a red fox this past week while letterboxing.

Where are you? Because if you're in the US, I'd bet you did not.

Check the facts:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/9354.html

"Red fox are the most widely distributed carnivore in the world, and are known to occur in nearly every county of New York State."

3 Blind Mice
Reply to: #596830 by Otolith Crisis
Apr 4, 2011 9:54am
Thread
I'd love to see a deer while hiking
Apr 4, 2011 9:57am
Thread
Interesting..I guess the Red Fox was grey since I was in Massachusetts
Reply to: #597079 by felixpezgirl
Apr 4, 2011 9:58am
Thread
I have deer routinely in my back yard.
Today Is A Horrible Day.
Apr 4, 2011 10:23am
Thread
Today so far has been awful. Absolutely dreadful. I can't wait to get home ( i'm at school right now) and letterbox!! <3 maybe my dad will take me out later(: but so far, today has been awful.... full of friend drama and state testing, gah. I can't wait for this week to be over.
Apr 4, 2011 10:28am
Thread
Come to Detroit. We've got metroparks that are so overrun with deer they bring sharpshooters in once a year to cull the population. It's a great place for deer sighting!
Re: Find the Future: Overnight Scavenger Hunt in NYC
Reply to: #596558 by Fashionably Late
Apr 4, 2011 10:29am
Thread
Yep, saw this a while ago and will be applying! I can't imagine a better time to plant a box there, since everyone will be running around and looking into odd corners of the library.
Re: Today Is A Horrible Day.
Reply to: #597093 by dartmoorseeker
Apr 4, 2011 10:43am
Thread
Awwww, I'm sorry : ( I guess you have state testing all week? Hope you can go out and do something fun this afternoon!
Happy AQ anniversary, Dartmoorseeker!
Apr 4, 2011 10:53am
Thread
I'm sorry you're having a bad day, but I thought I'd wish you happy anniversary for being on Atlas Quest : ) May you have many more years of enjoyable letterboxing ahead of you!

Happy trails!
Apr 4, 2011 11:19am
Thread
I'd love to see a deer while hiking

Generally speaking, my 5 1/2 year old son makes enough noise to drive off any critters in a coiuple mile radius of where we are! However, I had the rare chance sometime early last fall to go on a hike with just my daughter - who was small enough at the time I could put her in a baby carrier on my chest and she'd fall asleep. So I'm walking along - not being super quiet, but more quietly than normal since I have no chattering 5 year old with me. And all of a sudden a deer about 50 feet away from my path got startled and went leaping and crashing away. It woke up Baby Rowe-ver too, though that may have been partly because I shrieked in her ear because I didn't see the silly deer until it was running away!
Apr 4, 2011 11:31am
Thread
Hope your afternoon gets better.

Man... I miss being in school! *sigh* No more testing and doing homework... what is a nerd to do out here in the "real world"? I play 'school' with my toddler. He's going to get to Kindergarten and be ready for 3rd grade all because his Mamma was trying to re-create a scholarly environ.
Re: Happy AQ anniversary, Dartmoorseeker!
Reply to: #597106 by LyssaGirl
Apr 4, 2011 12:02pm
Thread
Wow a whole year already. Happy anniversary, Dartmoorseeker!!! Hope your week gets better. Just think Easter break and then summer break is just around the corner.
Apr 4, 2011 12:46pm
Thread
i hope when you get home, you have a WONDERFUL evening!! :)
Reply to: #597119 by Rowdy Rodeo Roosters
Apr 4, 2011 12:48pm
Thread
What is a nerd to do??

You go to school, just to become a teacher, so you CAN have homework, and testing... and you can still buy school supplies for yourself!! (best part ever!!)

:)
Apr 4, 2011 12:51pm
Thread
Happy AQversary! Hope you get to go box today!
Family Fun again
Apr 4, 2011 1:01pm
Thread
I was reading the recent issue of Family Fun and once again Letterboxing was offered as a way to get your kids to enjoy the outdoors.

~Aurora
Re: Family Fun again
Reply to: #597147 by The hicks from the sticks
Apr 4, 2011 1:17pm
Thread
I saw it, too! It's a small mention this time - one of five ways to get your family outside after winter. Directs people to letterboxing.org.

-AG
Re: 'Midnight Madness' scavenger/clue hunt movie
Reply to: #583883 by paper trail
Apr 4, 2011 1:22pm
Thread
Ok, so I checked this out at my local library and we are going to watch it tonight. The question is, is it appropriate for my grade school daughter to watch? The rating is PG but there are some PG movies I'd let my daughter watch and some I won't. What's the worst kind of stuff that happens in this movie?

//Edited to add://

Found this quote on IMDB:

Bratty kid: [looking through telescope at a girl getting undressed in window] If I'm lucky, I may get a view of Venus' two moons.
Adam: [pointing at the sky in the other direction] Hey, Einstein - isn't Venus over there?

Is there nudity? It's a definite no if there's nudity!
Re: 'Midnight Madness' scavenger/clue hunt movie
Reply to: #597153 by Dizzy
Apr 4, 2011 1:54pm
Thread
Go here:

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/

Type in the name of the movie, and it'll tell you everything you need to know about language, sex, etc. A great site.
Apr 4, 2011 1:55pm
Thread
you know that means *****Throws confetti, releases balloons, and rolls out the cake*****

GG
Re: Family Fun again
Reply to: #597151 by ArtGekko
Apr 4, 2011 2:27pm
Thread
. Directs people to letterboxing.org.

Maybe someone outta write "Family Fun" and tell them about the other exciting letterboxing web site!
Just my two shavings worth,

TK