A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Costly Box
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #501959 by Seagull
Mar 30, 2010 10:24am
Thread
Michigan is particularly agreeable - we even allow left-on-red if it's onto a one-way street. Many states allow left-on-red onto a one-way if it's FROM a one-way, but we even get to do it coming from a two-way. You really get odd looks from drivers around you though, because this law isn't that well known.
Reply to: #501977 by Goofy girl
Mar 30, 2010 10:26am
Thread
but in my town we do have one light that says "No right on red"

WHAT is this Red Light everyone is speaking of?

deniserows
in a town with NO traffic lights.
Reply to: #501986 by OhanaTribe
Mar 30, 2010 10:30am
Thread
What gets me about the whole "right turn on red" issue is that the law states the turns are allowed to, not that you have to turn right on red.

As annoying as I find it to be behind someone who doesn't choose to turn right on red when they could, it annoys me more to be behind someone else who *honks* at the person who doesn't wish to turn. It's all about comfort zones. There are some intersections around here where I don't feel comfortable myself making that right--visibility issues and higher speeds on the roads and what-have-you.

Yes, all the buses in Buncombe County, NC, must stop at railroad tracks and are not allowed to turn right on red. They also aren't allowed to go faster than 45-50 on the highways, I believe.

Knit Wit
Reply to: #502006 by knit wit
Mar 30, 2010 10:44am
Thread
I don't feel comfortable myself making that right-

that would be crimsophobia you are experiencing.

We may not be able to buy beer on Sundays but we can turn left on red when it's a one-way to a one-way.
Reply to: #502008 by speedsquare
Mar 30, 2010 10:49am
Thread
We may not be able to buy beer on Sundays

And why would you want beer on Sundays?

GG
***preacher's daughter in law***
Reply to: #502008 by speedsquare
Mar 30, 2010 10:52am
Thread
I love being able to turn left on red an one-way streets. I feel like such a rebel! ;-)
Reply to: #502009 by Goofy girl
Mar 30, 2010 10:56am
Thread
And why would you want beer on Sundays?

Maybe to make it through the sermon.

GJ
Reply to: #501992 by wassamatta u
Mar 30, 2010 11:11am
Thread
I scanned the article quickly and yep, I did misread it -- my goof. That's what I get for deciding to forgo the coffee today!

~OTribe
*who will no longer attempt to speed read without her a cuppa joe first*
Reply to: #502012 by GreenJello
Mar 30, 2010 11:14am
Thread
Maybe to make it through the sermon.

Depends on who's preaching at our church. Sometimes I just need a pillow. LOL
Reply to: #501959 by Seagull
Mar 30, 2010 11:26am
Thread
Texas doesn't have a right on red law?I wonder which states do. It could be confusing to travelers.We have right on red here in Maine.

Right on red is usually allowed unless posted or its a red arrow, but you do have to stop! Right now the departments are hurting for money so there's a lot of "silly" tickets going around. Watch out for cameras too, quite a bit of those going up for speeders and red light runners.
Reply to: #501940 by Oliver and Company
Mar 30, 2010 12:05pm
Thread
I know the feeling - I went out the the professional Art Supply store in the city to pick up an order of Pink Stuff - got a deal buying it by the box, I could have had it shipped but I figured I would "save even more by saving on the shipping" only to end up with a $30.00 parking ticket - Arghhhhhhhhhhh!
Mar 30, 2010 12:16pm
Thread
There are some intersections around here where I don't feel comfortable myself making that right--visibility issues and higher speeds on the roads and what-have-you.

It's just like unprotected lefts. Some people aren't comfortable, some people have terrible depth-perception. It happens. It does annoy me being behind them, but it's not the end of the world.

However, there was an intersection at home in California where people felt perfectly comfortable ignoring the "No Right Turn on Red" sign. It was onto a road with 4 lanes in each direction, with a posted speed limit of 50 mph (so obviously people were often going 60+), with a hill to your left as you sat waiting to make your right turn. Doing *that* could be the end of your world, and I never understood why so many people felt the need to do it.
Re: Costly Box - WI twists on traffic issues
Reply to: #502005 by deniserows
Mar 30, 2010 1:28pm
Thread

In WI, you can have a green light at an intersection, but the right turn may have a stop sign - and yes, you must stop at the sign.

Also, in WI the drivers routinely pass on the right shoulder on county highways, such as when the driver ahead is stopped for a left turn. Um, in IL I did that to get to an exit and got a hefty fine.

- Sunny
Reply to: #502049 by Sunny Side Up
Mar 30, 2010 1:31pm
Thread

There is a whole district in Anchorage right of Spenard Road. Seriously! I remember once when I was little and my mom took a short cut through that neighborhood and I asked her why the houses had red lights....
I don't remember what her answer was. Needless to say, when we visit, I don't take my son through the area because I have no idea what I would say either! :)
Reply to: #502051 by Seattle Bound
Mar 30, 2010 7:02pm
Thread

The light I got my ticket at is in Texas on 183 & Belt Line Rd. The sign was small so I didn't see it, not to mention the other cars that went before me. When I asked the officer what did I do, he said "If you be quite, I'll tell you when I'm done". what a jerk. My dad was a police officer for over 25 years and he always told me that if a cop walks up with an attitude - Don't argue or say anything that will cause him to write more tickets or make him think you are being unreasonable.

OC
Mar 30, 2010 7:21pm
Thread
There are some intersections around here where I don't feel comfortable myself making that right-

An intersection near my house has new traffic lights - including a new left turn flashing AMBER arrow.

I'm not real comfortable with it.... the oncoming road meets the intersection at a slight angle, so that oncoming traffic turning left blocks the view of the oncoming through lane.
Reply to: #502051 by Seattle Bound
Mar 30, 2010 8:44pm
Thread
There is a whole district in Anchorage right of Spenard Road. Seriously! I remember once when I was little and my mom took a short cut through that neighborhood and I asked her why the houses had red lights....

Now if we are talking red light districts Amsterdam takes the cake for sure!
I was just amazed when we visited there... and NO we did NOT take a camera.
I understand using a camera might get you arrested there!
Help! I'm Obsessed With an LB Idea!
Mar 31, 2010 4:37am
Thread
What started out as simple idea to have some fun with my kids has become an obsession! My silly kids (DD15, DS9) do not share my interest in LBing, so I thought I'd hide an Easter basket LB in a nearby park with the clues in the box for them to find their baskets back home. I figured I'd try to get them into LBing by hook or by (shepherd's) crook. An Easter basket LB is a simple enough project, right?

Welllll, now the idea has blossomed into the whole big concept of Eggopolis. While walking on the bike trail, I filled 5 pages of notes on my cell phone about Punny Eggs (Eggstra Special Delivery - egg being delivered by a stork), Tribute Eggs (?Green Tortuga egg?), eggs for every holiday, 10 Most Wanted List (Whisk, Egg Beaters...), character eggs (Sponge Bob Square Eggs, EggBert and Ernie), colored eggs , foods (sunny side up eggs, duh) and on and on. This morning, probably inspired by an MLIA the night before, I came up with "Walker Texas Free Ranger", a Chuck Norris egg.

- Sunny
Re: Help! I'm Obsessed With an LB Idea!
Reply to: #502175 by Sunny Side Up
Mar 31, 2010 4:59am
Thread
I wish you had shared this idea with us sooner. So close to Easter, I have no time to throw together some boxes for the children to find this year. I love the idea! Time for me to get working on next year!

David (Team New Hampshire)
Reply to: #502128 by WalkinOrange
Mar 31, 2010 5:36am
Thread
so that oncoming traffic turning left blocks the view of the oncoming through lane.

Yep, a clear line of sight is important and, living in the mountains where I do, visibility is key. :-) This is why I usually don't get upset at certain intersections where I know the driver ahead of me may be worried about lack of visibility and that's why they aren't making their right on red.

Knit Wit
Reply to: #502179 by Team New Hampshire
Mar 31, 2010 6:04am
Thread
I wish I'd thought of it sooner, too! I'm starting small - just the basket and a bonus box so people can have at least one egg.

- Sunny
Mar 31, 2010 6:09am
Thread
LOL -- I've been doing a series of clues for the kids to find their Easter baskets ever since I started boxing. Both kids love it. They will awake to find a card from the Bunny obliquely directing them to some location, at which they find another clue directing them to another location, and so on. Every year the kids ask for me to do it again (they are older now and know where these clues are coming from).
Mar 31, 2010 7:57am
Thread
What a great idea! Very creative! And who wouldn't LOVE a Chuck Norris egg??

Just as an aside, my mom has been writing clues to our Easter baskets since we were little (and I'm a 30something now) and she still does it today. I know when I get to the parents' house on Sunday there will be an index card with a poem a few stanzas long directing me in cryptic fashion to the location of my Easter basket. I hope she never stops!
Reply to: #502207 by Red Barn Photos
Mar 31, 2010 8:19am
Thread
And who wouldn't LOVE a Chuck Norris egg??

And just think... You wouldn't have to find it, it will find YOU! LOL
Mar 31, 2010 8:49am
Thread
Wouldn't that be a "Cluck" Norris egg?
Reply to: #502217 by knit wit
Mar 31, 2010 9:01am
Thread
And who wouldn't LOVE a Chuck Norris egg??

And just think... You wouldn't have to find it, it will find YOU!

Yeah, but once found, nobody is tough enough to crack it!
Reply to: #502234 by wassamatta u
Mar 31, 2010 9:59am
Thread
Chuck Norris does not color Easter eggs. He roundhouse kicks them until they bruise.
Re: Letterboxer's Worst Nightmare
Reply to: #499353 by shiloh
Mar 31, 2010 11:10am
Thread
when woodland animals can open a tupperware or lock and lock and re-close it after urinating into the box I think I will stay out of the woods forever!

I wouldn't be surprised if a racoon could do that.

I would almost guarantee that they can. At Acadia National Park a raccoon unzipped my pack, took out a granola bar I had accidentally left in there, unwrapped it, and sat on the picnic table calmly eating it. The rest of the food was in the car; glad I didn't leave the keys out...

Sunny
Reply to: #502207 by Red Barn Photos
Mar 31, 2010 12:50pm
Thread
Gosh, you're lucky! When I was a teenager my mom declared herself FINISHED with Easter baskets. Too much trouble for her -- and somehow she missed comprehending that you're never too old for candy.

When I was 19, my boyfriend's mom crocheted an Easter basket for me, filled with candy, and I smugly told my mom, "see... SOMEbody agrees that I still need an Easter basket!"

So cool that your mom still does this for you.

Hansenclan
Reply to: #502234 by wassamatta u
Mar 31, 2010 2:37pm
Thread
Thank you all for understanding - and for cracking me up! I SO have to use some of your ideas! THANKS!

- Sunny