A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Is there a letterboxing rule?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #936481 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Oct 16, 2016 4:43am
Thread
I don't know, unless the logbook is a key piece to the theme of each box of a series, I'm not really thinking "awesome, another logbook to stamp into. Two down and fourteen to go!".

I do respect the rights and wishes of the planter to want a trail stamp image in every box of a series as well as finders such as yourself not recording any box they find that doesn't contain a logbook out of principle.
In need of HUGS
Oct 16, 2016 12:37pm
Thread
I was walking along a beautiful sunlit trail. Dried yellow and red leaves beginning to fall upon the trail. Having success finding boxes and enjoying time outside with my dog, who was behaving rather well for a hound on the trail.

At the last box, I felt a sharp pain on the inside of my right thigh. Looked for the cause. Nothing, but I saw a red mark. Then I saw a yellow and black striped insect flittering near my right achilles just as I felt a sharp pain on my left buttock which distracted me from the bee that was now stinging/biting my right heel. Three bee stings/bites later, I'm now hating nature and I still have to log into the stupid logbook and seal all the stupid bags and hide the stupid box as well as or better than I found it and the stupid bee is still arrogantly flittering about and on the way back to the car the stupid leaves are covering the stupid roots, which I'll probably twist a stupid ankle on, and the stupid trail is uphill and I'm winded and the stupid insect bite ointment isn't working and...

So now I'm home sulking in my jammys waiting for the pizza man and still feeling the bites of nature.

UPDATE: Two hours later and my bee stings still HURT! OUCH! Sitting on one of them isn't helping.
UPDATE: 10:05 pm - They still hurt, but the ice cream distracted me for awhile.
UPDATE: 10:08 am, OCT 17. The itching began in the middle of the night. aarrggh...as well as a few new mosquito bites. Good day for carving or making LTCs.
Re: In need of HUGS
Reply to: #936508 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Oct 16, 2016 12:51pm
Thread
Oh no!! What a terrible ending to a great morning. I hope the stupid insect bite ointment starts working really quickly and that the pizza man arrives soon! As you requested, I am sending a hug from Canada. Hope it helps.

:O)
Oct 16, 2016 1:09pm
Thread
1,000 hugs, honey!!! If I was there I would be making you some kind of oil concoction and we could write a poem together about how much bees suck.

You have me cracking up about everything being stupid because one time I stepped on horrible huge Osage orange Thorns with both feet at the same time. I was wearing these flimsy little flip flops and they went right through. I was stuck. I was screaming and somebody had to bring a board to lay on top of the rest of them so I could get out of my situation
Oct 16, 2016 1:29pm
Thread
I noticed that everything was stupid except the pizza man, lol! I'm so sorry, but I have to confess that I was one of the people to click funny, after a hug of course, because I can see you speaking your post and it's just too cute! I hope you feel better soon.
Oct 16, 2016 1:50pm
Thread
Isn't that how is always is...going along and everything is beautiful and wonderful. Then something bad happens and everything becomes stupid. So sorry. Cringing on your behalf and wishing I could click "hug" more then once.
Oct 16, 2016 1:55pm
Thread
Sending hugs.... I'm sure that your dog Lucy is giving you many kisses to ease your distress. I try to carry Benadryl capsules with me on the trail as I swell up badly from bee and wasp stings. What kind of stupid insect bite ointment are you using? What stupid trail were you on? I want to be sure to avoid it. Oh, what we go through, all in the name of fun!
Crossword puzzles anyone?
Oct 16, 2016 2:07pm
A member of our letterboxing community--St. Ampersand-- is Kickstarting a project. His goal, "...to construct a weekly series of original, highly entertaining crossword puzzles with no obscure, only-seen-in-xwords answers.) Patrick has an extensive and impressive background in crossword development. Coolest part...he lives right down the street from me with his letterboxing wife, daughter and doggie! Great guy and great family. His puzzles are awesome. Lots of clever word play and solve-able-- my kind of puzzle (just like his letterboxing clues, too.) I'm supporting him and I hope you will too. Check out the free sample puzzle he has provided: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1328301891/piece-of-cake-crosswords-puzzles-youll-have-fun-fi
Reply to: #936511 by crosscresent
Oct 16, 2016 2:12pm
Thread
ok...that's worse...I think.
Reply to: #936513 by Raven
Oct 16, 2016 2:13pm
Thread
I was trying to be funny...after realizing how off the rocker I was. PS...sniffling...they still hurt!
Reply to: #936514 by Nature Hikers
Oct 16, 2016 2:14pm
Thread
thank you. sniff, sniff...they still hurt! it's like the pain ebbs and flows. sniff, sniff...
Reply to: #936515 by carry on grandma
Oct 16, 2016 2:18pm
Thread
Stupid ammonia-based product, which I see is expired. Stupid trail-- "big horse trail in south city." You already have these boxes, I think. I haven't checked Lucy but should to see if she got stung. She didn't yelp.
Reply to: #936518 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Oct 16, 2016 2:18pm
Thread
I will send you a hug if I ever stop laughing!
Oct 16, 2016 2:33pm
Thread
Big hugs from me, and from now on, walk softly and carry a BIG can of bug spray! ;-)
Oct 16, 2016 2:35pm
Thread
Yo, everyody-Pizza party at AAFrog's house...byob!
Oct 16, 2016 3:07pm
Thread
BabyPanda and I were letterboxing once and when we moved the bark covering the box wasps came out, we ran to the car. The chased us to the car. BabyPanda got stung on the arm. We had to go to Idaho City and get some after bite and Benadryl. She still had her arm swollen and numb for 3 days. It didn't stop us from going on a mile and 1/2 hike to get 7 letterboxes before going home however.
Oct 16, 2016 3:10pm
Thread
I got stung by bees once in Idaho while looking for a box. That hurt! Hope you feel better soon, and maybe this will make a good carve some day.
Oct 16, 2016 3:13pm
Thread
Aw! That's stupid. Lots of hugs. You will be A-OK soon enough I hope. 👌
Reply to: #936525 by Dawnkey
Oct 16, 2016 3:24pm
Thread
What is it about Idaho? I got stung 7 times on my hands near Boise, doped myself up on Benedryl, and then had to wait for it to wear off so I could drive the five hours home. My hands were so sore and swollen, I had trouble holding on to the steering wheel. Baqash's dog was with me; she got stung, too, poor baby. And she yelped, so if your pup didn't yelp, she was probably spared.

aMAZEing adventure frog, I feel for you in every way possible!! Your story-telling was amusing, but no funny button for me. LOTS & LOTS of hugs though! Pizza is the perfect remedy, IMO.
Oct 16, 2016 4:07pm
Thread
So, so sorry. That's NOT a good letterboxing day.

But I definitely feel you could work this into a letterbox. After getting EXTREME poison ivy for several weeks, I created this series:

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?boxId=152104

Just a thought. Hope you sleep well.
Angel Winks
Oct 16, 2016 5:09pm
Thread
Same thing happened to me - in shorts.....took 3 days for the pain to go away.

Best wishes foe a speedier recovery than I had.
Oct 16, 2016 5:26pm
Thread
I feel guilty that I was feeling sorry for you and yet laughing at the same time. I hope the multiple stings ease quickly and the stupid flying insects/bugs/wasps/birds/whatever never bother you again.
Red Bird (who believes pizza cures all woes)
Oct 16, 2016 5:43pm
Thread
And I've been warily watching the (stupid) Yellowjackets buzzing about near work here in California this past week. Reminded me of the time I sat on one in my swimsuit, right on the pantyline (TMI). The bad part was a few days latter, as it was healing, it ITCHED like crazy!! LOL

Much sympathy! Many hugs!! Ice helps!

Yosemite
Oct 16, 2016 8:30pm
Thread
The whole goofy group sends hugs so sorry! Hope the pizza was good!
Reply to: #936511 by crosscresent
Oct 16, 2016 8:41pm
Thread
I would be making you some kind of oil concoction and we could write a poem together about how much bees suck.

Mee mee me me meeeeeee..... ahem.

Bees on the trail
I'd soon take a pass
especially from stings
they put on my #$%

The ice cream's no help perhaps
having done stuffed my face
it's frozen cool relief's better
some other place!
Oct 16, 2016 11:31pm
Thread
I'm just glad you asked for HUGS and not KISSES to make it feel better! Sending hugs your way!
Location of Live & Breathe in 2018
Oct 17, 2016 5:07am
Thread
There's been some recent discussion of the location of the next Live & Breathe over on the LbNA FB page. Choi expressed some interest in hosting it at Grotonwood again, but only if nobody else was interested.

Personally, I'd love to see it held elsewhere in the country. It's always fun to see regional letterboxing differences, and it would give more folks from the hosting area a chance to go.

Are there any folks who are interested in hosting?

(Note that I'm posting this on the Chatter board to hopefully attract a wider audience.)
Re: Location of Live & Breathe in 2018
Reply to: #936548 by Rocklun
Oct 17, 2016 6:48am
Thread
Would anyone be willing to go to TN? lol

LBcon in St. Louis was awesome! Wish that set-up could be duplicated.
Reply to: #936549 by Raven
Oct 17, 2016 6:57am
Thread
I'd go to TN! I spent time in Chattanooga a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.
Reply to: #936549 by Raven
Oct 17, 2016 7:19am
Thread
YES!