Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Only $14.99 per box! (Compass not included)
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #375453 by Kirbert
Nov 4, 2011 5:27am
Thread
You can't half-a$$ close them, they're either closed or they're not.

I found a L&L lid put on upside down once. For real.
New icons replace spiderwebs
Nov 4, 2011 1:18pm
Thread
Ryan, I love the new icons that tell how long it's been since a member has logged in. I just noticed them, and they're very informative! Thanks! (Don't embarrass me by telling how long they've been around--I can be pretty oblivious!)
Re: New icons replace spiderwebs
Reply to: #652360 by WiseOldOwl
Nov 4, 2011 1:27pm
Thread
I just noticed them yesterday, dont feel bad! If you are only dealing with current members, i guess you probably wouldn't see them.
Reply to: #652362 by Sea Maid
Nov 4, 2011 1:43pm
Thread
I was wondering what those were - I didn't even think of the spiderwebs. Thanks for that tidbit of info! :)
Nov 4, 2011 2:20pm
Thread
I must be cracking up, I thought that info was always on one's profile.
Reply to: #652371 by Guzzelin' Gal
Nov 4, 2011 2:37pm
Thread
It was, silly gg - its just the icons are now different bars instead of spiderweblets. Hence the title. Lose one turn. ;)
Reply to: #652378 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Nov 4, 2011 2:50pm
Thread
I guess I just never notice the bars or saw the spiderwebs, I must look at the profiles of current users. lol

Guzzelin' Gal
Nov 4, 2011 3:56pm
Thread
I just had a glance at the first page of boxers in the directory. How is it possible for someone to be a red feathered premium member without having logged in for 18 months?
Reply to: #652398 by Fiddleheads
Nov 4, 2011 4:09pm
Thread
How is it possible for someone to be a red feathered premium member without having logged in for 18 months?

Even if you have a Lifetime (errr.... 100-year) membership, you can choose to have a Red Feather. Or even no hat at all.

I don;t know if this is the case for the person in question, but it is one way that it is possible.
Reply to: #652398 by Fiddleheads
Nov 4, 2011 4:19pm
Thread
Or perhaps a gift membership?
Reply to: #652380 by Guzzelin' Gal
Nov 4, 2011 5:50pm
Thread
It's kinda funny but kinda scary now too, that if you look at a page in the directory, instead of seeing sporadic spiderwebs, there are now ALOT of names with bars by them. The rooms feel so empty!! ;)
I'm not digging the egg!
Nov 4, 2011 6:30pm
Thread
Does anyone else hate the little egg that follows you for a few weeks every time you make a change to your profile?
It's one of those things that I can't explain, but I wish I could step on it. Kind of like the gnome.
Has anyone else purposely avoided making changes so that the egg doesn't pop up and crowd you?
Maybe we could give the egg a hat. I still don't think I would like it.
I didn't even get to change what I wanted to change and It's still there.
Hey Ryan, how about carnival masks for the eggs?
Re: I'm not digging the egg!
Reply to: #652445 by More Great Fun
Nov 4, 2011 6:45pm
Thread
yes, hate it
Reply to: #652445 by More Great Fun
Nov 4, 2011 6:48pm
Thread
I have no problem with the egg. Its just an egg! An he's got sunglasses! And he smiles! Poor egg - he's just sitting there and now he's getting picked on. I'm telling my mommy on you!! ;)
Reply to: #652448 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Nov 4, 2011 6:53pm
Thread
Fine, you go tell your mommy and I'll throw French fries at it from across the room. Although it does seam like a waste of a French fry. But ketchup will make it stick.
Reply to: #652448 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Nov 4, 2011 6:56pm
Thread
Unrelated topic...
I was up on the ridge today, WHAT A DAY!, and I noticed you were the last person to log into that large series in Breakheart. I wanted an opportunity to say thank you. Each box was clearly well taken care of.
It was a nice surprise.
You still better hide your egg though.
Reply to: #652449 by More Great Fun
Nov 4, 2011 6:57pm
Thread
Mommy, mommy!! MGF is mad at the food! She's throwing a tempa tan drum! I think she's been drinkin' the stuff from the cab-net that I'm not apposed ta touch!
Reply to: #652451 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Nov 4, 2011 7:04pm
Thread
Hey, watch it baldy, eggs aren’t the only thing sticky French fries stick to.
Reply to: #652450 by More Great Fun
Nov 4, 2011 7:04pm
Thread
Awwww, thanks MGF!! We really do try to take good care of everyone's boxes, and we really loved that series. We've come across enough damage and missings and wetness to make sure things are taken care and replaced well. We'll be back there anyway - we still have to get box #2 that (we think) Mr. Beerguy had that day. Thank you very much for the compliment, and you are definately most welcome!
Reply to: #652454 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Nov 4, 2011 7:06pm
Thread
The inconsistancy on nice and nasty, I'm so confused.
Reply to: #652455 by More Great Fun
Nov 4, 2011 7:09pm
Thread
he is that way, MGF. he's a confusing guy!!

~tigs
Reply to: #652456 by tiggermama
Nov 4, 2011 7:14pm
Thread
Hey you!! You can go back to bed! First of all, she started it! Second of all...

Well.....

She started it! Pbbbbbt!!!

;)

Hmmmm, you be starting to feel better....
Reply to: #652458 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Nov 4, 2011 7:17pm
Thread
i am starting to feel better - it's all the Peruvian Witch cure , with the garlic and lemon. i smell bad, and my voice is gone, but i feel better. . . sorta. . . kinda. . .
but i am going back to bed now. hope golly feels better too.

~sniffly tigs
Reply to: #652455 by More Great Fun
Nov 4, 2011 7:29pm
Thread
There! Now I am sporting an egg!! I'll bet you dropped your egg baby in junior high, didn't you? You've resented that F ever since....
Reply to: #652438 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Nov 4, 2011 7:37pm
Thread
It's kinda funny but kinda scary now too, that if you look at a page in the directory, instead of seeing sporadic spiderwebs, there are now ALOT of names with bars by them.

Originally, I had several types of spider webs--they got bigger as the their last login date faded further and further into the past. But wow--everybody FREAKED OUT because suddenly there was all these black spiderwebs on the vast majority of accounts. Eventually I narrowed it down so the spiderwebs only showed up on accounts that hadn't been logged into for a year or more, but that was still considered "too many" and made the letterboxer directory look "ugly." So then I deleted tens of thousands of apparently abandoned accounts, and that still left a quite a number of black spiderwebs, but at least people weren't grumbling about them anymore. =)

But I was still a little bothered because if I'm looking for someone's box who hasn't logged into AQ for six months, I want to know! Clearly, a spiderweb was not suitable--nobody likes that much black on the letterboxer directory. Then I got the idea of something like a cell phone signal, or perhaps a "reverse" cell phone signal that gets stronger the longer it's been since someone has logged in. Goes from green to red--much more cheerful colors than black. =)

And so now you'll see two bars as soon as someone hasn't logged in for at least two weeks. Three bars means it's been at least a month. Four bars represents a quarter (3 months). And five years is one year.

In my testing, I had a one bar option for people who haven't logged in for at least one week, but there weren't that many people it applied to, and even when it did, one bar by itself looked kind of strange. It wasn't very obvious that it was "one bar." So I just nixed that one and started with images that had at least two bars.

But yes, it means that the vast majority of accounts have some sort of bar on them. Most people--those posting to these message boards being a big exception--just don't log into AQ very often.

I have to agree, though, while there are a lot of people with bars, the multi-colors bars looks a lot better than a bunch of black spiderwebs. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #652465 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Nov 4, 2011 8:21pm
Thread
I know, let's all change something so that we all have eggs! Won't that be fun? Then we can see if Ryan does something to the egg.

~hmm, can ya tell I'm sick in bed with a nasty cold? Maybe I should lay off the Nyquil. ;)
Reply to: #652468 by Green Tortuga
Nov 4, 2011 8:31pm
Thread
I have to agree, though, while there are a lot of people with bars, the multi-colors bars looks a lot better than a bunch of black spiderwebs. =)

Yes, that does look better, and while I don't go looking at the directory all that often now, I think it is definately useful if I'm curious about someone I've crossed paths with in here in the past and want to see if they are still around, of if I'm looking into a box and want to ask something or report a problem or information to them. THAT helps as to whether or not they are around to respond or will get the message any time soon.

But at first glance, it was kinda shocking to see all those bars! ;)

Now I'm also curious, do you delete accounts very often, although it sounds like not, and do you have a criteria for the deletions? I assume they have to be gone a year or more for them to get wiped. Do the accumulated unused accounts take up much space in the overall database, or is that part of AQ just a "drop in the bucket"?

Always wanting to learn, so thanks for this long reply to the bars!
Reply to: #652482 by Traveling Garden Gnome
Nov 4, 2011 8:34pm
Thread
Sorry to hear that, TGG!!! Seems that something is going around - too many people are reporting being sick! Hope you get well soon!

And, Viva La Ombragés Oeuf!!!!
Reply to: #652490 by More Great Fun
Nov 4, 2011 8:46pm
Thread
Oh, I'll bet you do! Back in school, when for a class you were given an egg and you had to carry it around like you were taking care of a baby, and couldn't let anything happen to it?

"Dad!!! That was my class project! Now its all scrambled!"

Its all coming back to you now, that fateful day...
Reply to: #652492 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Nov 4, 2011 8:59pm
Thread
See, we didn't play with our food way back then. During the great depression an egg had more value than gold. I only got an egg to eat if I finished all my chores, like collecting coal pieces on the rails, or soaking grandma Walton’s bunions. And I if I did earn an egg, I wouldn't make a pet out of it, or put glasses on it for people to throw French fries at. I'd eat it.
Wow, defiantly time for bed.