Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Only $14.99 per box! (Compass not included)
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #375676 by Baqash
Apr 14, 2009 3:51pm
Thread
Hummm I have a BIG birthday coming up and I see I can get a blackberry with GPS too! hummmmm..... I see another Letterboxing expense rapidly approching!
Re: For The Quisp Lovers....
Reply to: #375458 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Apr 14, 2009 4:03pm
Thread
If I remember right, like Capt'n Crunch!

KuKu
who remembers when both Quisp and Quake hit the stores!
Re: For The Quisp Lovers....
Reply to: #375688 by KuKu
Apr 14, 2009 4:07pm
Thread
Ooooh! I love Captain Crunch, so If Quisp tastes like that it will be a big hit in my house.
It's been too long since I've found a box...
Apr 14, 2009 4:11pm
Thread
I can tell because last night I had a letterboxing dream.

(Insert visual wavy lines here to indicate dream sequence...)

I'm boxing and the box I'm working on takes me from clue to clue. As I solve a clue and find the location, there is another clue there. I FINALLY get to the final location and there's a box that's half submerged in a pool of water. I open the box and I'm shocked to see that it's full of hermit crabs. Some of them are huge! So I'm sitting there thinking, "What the hell?" when along wanders the owner of the box. He asks what I'm doing, and I reply that I can't figure out what to do next. He is absolutely disgusted with my ignorance and tells me that OBVIOUSLY the stamp is IN the largest hermit crab's shell, and I just have to get it out to stamp in. Note: the hermit crab in question has a shell about twice the size of my fist. When I look at him blankly, he grabs the crab in question, shakes it out into the box, shakes the stamp out, and hands it to me. As I sit there stunned, he begins to rant about lazy letterboxers and how I should have researched hermit crabs before I even attempted the box. Then I wake up.

(wavy visuals denoting dream sequence over...)

So if any of you are thinking about planting a box like this, please note in the clues that hermit crab research should be done BEFORE searching. Thank you.
Reply to: #375450 by Kirbert
Apr 14, 2009 4:14pm
Thread
I have had a Xyron machine for many years.

There are cartridges for laminating, for making items into stickers (permanent adhesive), temporary adhesive, and a cartidge with laminating AND adhesive (laminated stickers).

This is cold lamination: you can cut your laminated item in half and it will not peel. It, however, does not add the extra stiffness that hot lamination does. It is like having something put between 2 smooth sheets of contact paper.

The lamination/adhesive cartridge has been used by Yiker and I for years. We have made homemade bath salts for many years and run off labels on the computer for the tops of the bath salts. We rubber stamp an image on the labels, run them through this cartridge and fold them in half on top. They stick to the sealed bag and are laminated, so they can be around bathtubs with no worry.

Xyron can be expensive but I love mine and use it quite often!

I will rubber stamp blank business cards with holiday stamps, and run them through the adhesive cartridge. They become gift tags for presents: write on the tags, peel off and STICK to the gift. These puppies will not come off so people are not confused on who gets what present.

I will also do up a dozen or so and give them as gifts for other people to use for gift wrapping. My sister loves these!

KuKu
Re: It's been too long since I've found a box...
Reply to: #375694 by Gryffindors
Apr 14, 2009 4:17pm
Thread
hermit crab in question has a shell about twice the size of my fist.

Yikes!

KuKu
Apr 14, 2009 4:17pm
Thread
So if any of you are thinking about planting a box like this, please note in the clues that hermit crab research should be done BEFORE searching. Thank you.

Apparently you didn't read my clue closely enough. ;o)
HPL
Reply to: #375676 by Baqash
Apr 14, 2009 4:23pm
Thread
I have a blackberry pearl and I can't seem to figure out how to do this? Is it just the full size blackberry or is there a progrtam I'm missing?
Reply to: #375701 by Seattle Bound
Apr 14, 2009 4:55pm
Thread
I have a Blackberry Pearl, too... couldn't figure out this either. However, I cut & paste the clues I want into an email & send to the phone. NO more papers in hand.
Apr 14, 2009 5:13pm
Thread
This is exactly why it is not a hobby but an obsession.....or is that addiction... =)
Apr 14, 2009 5:15pm
Thread
That's a heck of a lot more fun than my dream - which wasn't even about letterboxing....

I dreamed I was at a Wal-Mart in Dahlonega, GA (not even sure if I've ever been to Dahlonega, GA, much less spelling it correctly!) with a friend from church, and I had another friend's standard poodle with me, on a leash - in the Wal-Mart.

Maybe I was in the Wal-mart looking for Lock n locks....... ;-))

Mama Fox
Apr 14, 2009 5:39pm
Thread
ROFL!!! The poor crab! Poor YOU! That's the funniest dang thing I've heard all day!
Reply to: #375719 by carolina wine trail
Apr 15, 2009 7:22am
Thread
I do that too- but now I carry papers for backup. My phone died about 100 miles out of town one time and I didnn't have the charger. No more hunting for me that day.
Reply to: #375953 by Seattle Bound
Apr 15, 2009 8:00am
Thread
Yea... I always carry the car charger... as well as making sure I've Completely charged the phone before leaving home. Otherwise, might have no access to the clues I sent myself
Free to Good Home
Apr 15, 2009 9:05am
Thread
Cleaning out the letterboxing cabinet this morning, I discovered about 50 small stamps that I don't really have much use for any more. They would make good cooties, HHs, fleas, quisps, etc. I will divide them among the first 10 people that send me an AQ mail with their address.

S
"Huffing" and Misting
Apr 15, 2009 9:38am
Thread
I have a question...and it is related to when you spend a lot of time coloring a stamp in preparation for stamping in.

Sometime it will dry before you are ready to actually stamp in, and I know that the practice is to "huff" on the stamp to re-moisten the ink before stamping, or to take and spray a very fine mist of water onto the stamp.

I have done this, and had varied success with both approaches...and I wanted to have good success each time of course.

I believe one time I must have sprayed too much mist in the direction of the stamp because I could see little spots of ink beading up in a couple spots, and the same thing happens if you breath on it too much.

I know this is probably one of those things, where you learn it by doing it over and over again...but, just figured I would ask the question.

Is there anything that you currently do to re-moisten the stamp with a high degree of success? Or are those two methods I mentioned above the best ways to do it....and I just need to practice more to ensure it works without having the ink "bead up" and cause a poor final print?

Thanks for all the input!
-ShutterBug
Re: "Huffing" and Misting
Reply to: #376016 by ShutterBug
Apr 15, 2009 9:42am
Thread
you know its funny I don't think the ink drys as quickly as we think.... I think the huffing is sort of a letterboxer ritual :o) that said I do it too LOL but I don't think it does anything really except make me look like an expert kind-of like inspecting the cork of a wine bottle when you are at a fancy restaurant and other people say "ahhh she must know about wine" when I am at an event and I huff on a stamp other letterboxers approve and think "ahhh see she knows about stamping"
Apr 15, 2009 9:48am
Thread
If I'm stamping at home, and have a cup of hot tea handy, I've been know to quickly wave the stamp (ink down) over the steam. Not too much or you have the same effect of misting too much. Huffing has been the most successful for me AND/OR using pens that stay wet longer.
Apr 15, 2009 9:50am
Thread
"Huffing" and Misting

Yep, happened again... everytime I see the word huffing I think: "Whose mad at me? What did I say? Did I do something stupid again?!?"

HPL ;o)
Reply to: #376022 by Hufflepuff Lost
Apr 15, 2009 9:56am
Thread
Hot tea! Fabulous idea. I'm not fabulous at huffing- apparently living near the mile high city is a bit too hard on my lungs! But I always have hot tea by me!
Reply to: #376017 by MushrooM
Apr 15, 2009 10:04am
Thread
Yeah, I guess I am just full of hot air....i always huff and puff too much! :)
Reply to: #376019 by Baqash
Apr 15, 2009 10:04am
Thread
That is a good idea too about the hot tea.
Re: Free to Good Home
Reply to: #375995 by Nitrocat
Apr 15, 2009 10:46am
Thread
All Gone! Thanks!

S
Apr 15, 2009 11:00am
Thread
I too have had mixed results with my marker/huffing combination. Winter is the worst time for huffing ... warm breath hits the cold stamp and instant watery, inky yuck.

The one thing that I've found that almost always increases the chances of a great, colored inking is to do the process twice.

Of course, I do not re-ink the stamp, huff and imprint a second time if I am boxing with impatient companions. However, if I am on my own, I'll clean the stamp first, color it to my heart's content, huff and imprint onto my sketch pad (not my logbook). Then, I'll do it again. I find that the colors are more intense and I need less huffing the second time.

-Dartmoor Dreamer
*who had great success with this method on Monday*
Reply to: #376062 by Dartmoor Dreamer
Apr 15, 2009 11:25am
Thread
That may be what i am looking for actually....

I haven't tried that method yet.

Very interesting.
Reply to: #376033 by ShutterBug
Apr 15, 2009 12:10pm
Thread
We won't discuss where MY hot air comes from...
Apr 15, 2009 1:10pm
Thread
XD.... Poor hermit crab, that shell had to be uncomfortable with a stamp shoved in there too.
Re: Free to Good Home
Reply to: #376055 by Nitrocat
Apr 15, 2009 1:48pm
Thread
Amazing! (Such a quick response.)
Reply to: #376032 by ShutterBug
Apr 15, 2009 2:54pm
Thread
Yeah, I guess I am just full of hot air....i always huff and puff too much! :)

LOL! If you're huffing AND puffing, it might solve your problem. Cause if you huff too much and get it too moist, then simply puff (blow) on it to dry up the droplets.

Btw I'm one of the ones who hit the "agree" button that you are full of hot air. ; )

Buttercup®
Reply to: #376218 by buttercup
Apr 15, 2009 3:12pm
Thread
Btw I'm one of the ones who hit the "agree" button that you are full of hot air. ; )

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!! Ha!