Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterbox Chatter

Re: Tata's Name Change
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #206094 by Woman to Blame
Mar 31, 2008 8:21pm
Thread
she's not quite ready for a boyfriend just yet

Oh yes- I am all for arranged marriage! I have a few families in my radar....:)
Re: What Luck!
Reply to: #205822 by mstrwndl
Mar 31, 2008 11:16pm
Thread
Quote You wouldn't happen to be in Missouri at the moment would you?

Nope. Alabama.

Quote There is a statue of a bird dog on the square in Warrensburg, Missouri. Maybe you could interest someone there in planting it for you. I mean if that is something you are interested in doing...

Sure, that'd be cool -- if there's any possibility of planting a box where the bird dog stamp would make some sense. He's actually a generic huntin' dog, I guess -- I've been expecting to plant him in some hunting area. I'm in those a lot, actually.
Reply to: #205827 by QueenMother'n'CloudWalker
Mar 31, 2008 11:23pm
Thread
Quote Interesting.......it sounds like you create boxes and then find places to plant them. So far......we have found places to plant boxes and then created the box/stamp for the spot...

On average, it probably takes me a full day to make a stamp. Doing it on the spot is totally out of the question. I do, on occasion, note where I'm going and carve a stamp I expect will be appropriate. And sometimes I visit a place, go home and carve a stamp, then return to the place later.

On planting trips, I usually carry a whole bunch of containers -- big ones, little ones, square ones, round ones. Each one has a log book in it, but no stamp. And I carry a bag of stamps. If I find a place I want to plant a box, I select a container that will fit in the hiding place and put a suitable stamp in it.

I went to New Hampshire last summer. Before the trip, I started carving some stamps that I expected would be usable up there -- a snowmobile, a skier, etc. Then I realized that if I didn't find places to plant them, I'd be in trouble! Can't bring them back to Florida with me! I stopped carving that type stamp immediately, and had no trouble planting the ones I had already carved.
Reply to: #206423 by Kirbert
Mar 31, 2008 11:24pm
Thread
Quote There is a statue of a bird dog on the square in Warrensburg, Missouri.

Holy full cycle!!!!

I was born in Warrensburg, MO on this date....some # of years ago.

Ooooh a letterboxing hunting dog. Now that's just cool! :-)

pre
Reply to: #206425 by preboxed
Mar 31, 2008 11:40pm
Thread
Oooh and no one believe me, with this post, of course, but No Fooling it IS true.

That was back before email, cellphones, and AQ, (gasp) but mom had to telegram pop while he was onboard a US Navy ship to tell him the news. Took his shipmates all day to convince pop it was true.

I have the birth certificate to prove both the when and where. Maybe before I'm 50, as I live and breathe, maybe I'll make a 'box of some sort for those who care to see if foolish trivia CAN mean "what luck."

For those who pay attention, of course.....

pre
Reply to: #206066 by scraphappy
Apr 1, 2008 12:07am
Thread
I am raising a stalker!

Nah...just a heterosexual male. =8)

Shiloh
Reply to: #205881 by Woman to Blame
Apr 1, 2008 2:32am
Thread
and to think I knew when...
CONGRATS PRINCESS TATA
be safe...
BR1
was: what the heck? BOYCOTT THE ARCHES!!!
Reply to: #204103 by Pasta Mom
Apr 1, 2008 2:36am
Thread
Ok y'all...we have been sold out...or sold down the river...and we NO LONGER have a paddle...

the free wheeling community we have here @ AQ is no longer...we are even going to be censored to keep it "kid friendly"...we pretty much policed ourselves...but now we will have rules shoved down our throats...

this is the absolute worst thing that could ever happen...

Be Safe...
a fed up BR1
OK you got us NOW PLEASE I can't look at this all day !
Apr 1, 2008 4:06am
Thread
April Fools ..... ok - even out on the trail you got us, now please get rid of this Mcjunk, it is makin my tummy feel sick and I can't look at this all day!

:O)
Re: was: what the heck? BOYCOTT THE ARCHES!!!
Reply to: #206455 by BigRedOne
Apr 1, 2008 4:29am
Thread
We haven't been sold out....it's called CAPITALISM.
Reply to: #206482 by A Son of Liberty
Apr 1, 2008 4:34am
Thread
We haven't been sold out....it's called CAPITALISM.

I think it is called April Fools
Reply to: #206487 by TalleyValleyFarmClan
Apr 1, 2008 4:59am
Thread
Ya know....you might be right. I don't care either way though.
Reply to: #206504 by A Son of Liberty
Apr 1, 2008 9:31am
Thread
My first thought at seeing today's theme was "EEEEWWWYUUUUCK!" Then it hit me...the whole controversy "what the Heck" thread...now it's funny....oh wait, it just went back to gross!

Happy April Fool's Day all!

Idhunna
Re: OK you got us NOW PLEASE I can't look at this all day !
Reply to: #206471 by TalleyValleyFarmClan
Apr 1, 2008 9:49am
Thread
Just change your preferences for today. I'm running the lovely April Fools Theme and I get a surprise every time the screen refreshes. And so far, the MickeyD's theme isn't in the mix! What an oversight on someone's part! ;-)

Happy April Fool's Day!

Knit Wit
Re: OK you got us NOW PLEASE I can't look at this all day !
Reply to: #206889 by knit wit
Apr 1, 2008 9:56am
Thread
When I was little, my mom worked for McDonald's. Their character's were always around - I might even still have my Grimace earrings! They even built a parade float in our driveway!

Then mom went into advertising and her client was McDonald's. Then while I was in high school she dated a guy who would go around to local McDonald's restaurants dressed as Ronald! I've loved the theme today - it's part of my growing up. I don't eat there often, but still love the characters.

drexel girls
letterboxing activities for kids
Apr 7, 2008 10:05am
Thread
is there a board/forum on AQ specifically for parents to brainstorm and organize letterboxing activities for their kids? such as kid postal rings, kid meets, etc.?
Re: letterboxing activities for kids
Reply to: #210110 by trapperhoney
Apr 7, 2008 10:06am
Thread
Kid shenanigans I believe

~Aurora
Planting on Castaway Cay??
Apr 8, 2008 7:42am
Thread
Anyone ever try this? I know that boxes in the Disney parks don't stay around for very long. I'm wondering if I might be able to plant one on their island this summer and have it stick around. Perhaps a microbox??

Pasta Mom
Re: Planting on Castaway Cay??
Reply to: #210490 by Pasta Mom
Apr 8, 2008 8:26am
Thread
Humm...

I've been to Castaway Cay.
Stealth is the key word here. Lots of people. And I can't remember how well it is manicured.

But you could try. Maybe a microbox with a magnet?

Then I'll have to talk DH into another Disney cruise

;-)

Dawn
of the TIP
Reply to: #210511 by Traveling Inky Pants
Apr 8, 2008 10:52am
Thread
Stealth is the key word here. Lots of people.

Thanks! After I posted the original message, I wanted to add a question about the possibility of even finding a place to plant. I've got some pretty cool, little containers that I've used for microboxes, so I would probably do the same on the Cay.
Reply to: #210570 by Pasta Mom
Apr 8, 2008 12:19pm
Thread
Has anyone concidered a box on Tom Sawyer Island?
That would be the ultimate treasure hunt for me!
Reply to: #210490 by Pasta Mom
Apr 8, 2008 1:28pm
Thread
Go for it!!!!!! I've planted 2 in Nassau while on cruises but they both have disappeared after awhile!!! It's still fun planting them rather than sight-seeing all the time............
Reply to: #210647 by R gang
Apr 8, 2008 6:57pm
Thread
I was all set to try to plant one on Royal Caribbean's Coco Cay, but then the weather turned icky, and the ship couldn't stop there.

DebBee
Reply to: #210511 by Traveling Inky Pants
Apr 8, 2008 7:20pm
Thread
We loved our short time on Castaway Cay. Man, that whole Disney cruise was such a treat.......

But coming back to real life now, I think there might be some possibilities. The beaches are packed with people and staff, but there WAS a bike trail that we did not go on. There's also a realllllllly long road that used to be an airstrip, I think, where you might be able to find someplace. HOWEVER, I'm sure that every public place of a Disney locale is checked regularly for trash, so you'd need to find a really good hidey hole. But I bet it could be done.

It would have been fun to have a box to find on that island, if I hadn't felt like it would take the whole time we were there to find it. Had to get in some time on the adults-only beach, too!

-Mama Bear of 3Bears
Question For Planters from a Newbie
Apr 9, 2008 6:08am
Thread
I am new to letterboxing and have a question for planters. I have been out a few times and have searched for a few letterboxes that I have not been able to find. I know that one I was in the right spot but it was no where to be found. When I came back to the site to list the attempt, I saw that many people have attempted to find it over the last year or so, but no one was successful. It is still listed as active, but not there.
Why has the status not been changed? This box has an author listed but no planter, so does that the status can't be changed? Thank you for the information. I am still very new to this and learning more everyday and getting very excited with each new thing I learn.
Re: Question For Planters from a Newbie
Reply to: #210935 by AceoHearts
Apr 9, 2008 7:10am
Thread
We understand the frustration, but sometimes the box is acutally there... That being said, sometimes it is not and the planter/owner has not checked on it. We always check now before going out to box to see when the last time the boxes we are after have been found. We still might look for a box that has been attempted multiple times, but at least we know what we might be getting ourselves into.

See you are in Cortland -- we are north of the 'Cuse! Welcome! See you on the trail :>)!

T-N-T (TRH N T on AQ)
Reply to: #210952 by TRH N T
Apr 9, 2008 8:18am
Thread
Hey there! I went to SUNY Cortland! Small small world, huh?
Reply to: #210977 by Beach Gal
Apr 9, 2008 8:40am
Thread
I had printed out a bunch of clues for the area and didn't check to see that nobody had found it in a long time. I just saw that the status was available. I live not far from the SUNY Cortland Campus. I actually got my degree at TC3 after 5 years in the Navy. I hope to meet lots of people on the trail. Everyone I have talked to so far has been very nice. It is amazing I have never heard of this before. What a great hobby.
Reply to: #210977 by Beach Gal
Apr 9, 2008 12:28pm
Thread
I'm working with a SUNY grad. They're EVERYWHERE!
Letterpod Statistics
Apr 9, 2008 12:57pm
Thread
I don't know if this would be interesting to anyone else but myself, but I was looking at the stats page for the Letterpod (http://letterpod.podbean.com) and found some interesting things.

We had no listeners since I started using podbean in the states of Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, New Mexico, or Oklahoma. This seems to be supported by the lack of posts on those states AQ boards. However, I know OK has got letterboxers...you got a patch...don't you! Just kiddin' OK, I know you are out there...hope you'll give us a listen.

We have had listeners in Great Britan, Sweden, Netherlands, Japan, Korea, and Mexico.

From Unique IP's we have had 309 downloads, 369 feeds, and 993 streams. That's all time...so about a year since we have been on podbean.

The Fright Night 2 video is still the leader of the most watched item, with 452 views (that's from unique IPs) (it doesn't count if you watched it more than once).

The Holiday Spectacular, Episode 9, had the most listens for an Episode..with 409 so far.

Anyway, just thought I would share...

jackbear