Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: T-shirts! Patches! Paraphernalia!

Re: Blue Diamond Worthy Patches
Board: T-shirts! Patches! Paraphernalia!
Reply to: #80027 by Team New Hampshire
Mar 22, 2007 9:06am
Thread
Quote who decides whether it is BD material or not?

Well, actually, *WE* do, when we rate it via Ryan's system. I know it's a bit more complex than that, but it's basically a voting system. So, we DO, in fact, have the opportunity to anonomously voice our opinions via a ratings system about the boxes we find (as long as they are listed on AQ).

I think the point that was missed was understanding what Mososo was trying to say. He was saying that not all boxes are equal, and not all boxERs are equal. Remember the bell curve in school? Most boxer are going to be 'average'.

Sorry folks. It's just the way it is. We try to do our best. I agree with that. I would think that *most* of the people who take the time to converse on the boards, educate themselves about the ends and outs of boxing, etc, would hopefully fall to the right side of the bell curve, but generally, most folks ARE within the bell. And, some are going to be to the left of the bell. Just like the boxes.

JPMcD
Reply to: #80158 by Jenni P McD
Mar 22, 2007 10:14am
Thread
Well, some people got all fired up about this!

Like JPMcD said, I have every right to judge a box. Let's get real here. Everyone knows that not all boxes are created equal. Some boxes have great care put into their carvings, clues, locations, etc. Some boxes are made by people that are trying to capitalize on our wonderful hobby to spread their agenda. I honestly don't think that this box was planted by a "letterboxer." The planter has no other boxes, no finds, has no AQ profile, only LBNA (which is fine if that's how you like it), and hasn't updated the clue even though the box has been missing at least since last fall.

I'm not going to lie to you. If I hiked a mile out into a state park to find a letterbox not knowing that the stamps were store bought foam then I would be disappointed in the box. I have every right to be. I may have loved the clues, the hike, the location, etc. That doesn't make you a horrible planter. I'm not saying that at all. I'm just being honest. One of the best parts of this hobby to me is seeing other people's art. If I was aware that I was hiking towards a store bought stamp then I wouldn't be disappointed, I would expect it.

I probably sound like a letterboxing snob to some of you...but is it so wrong for me to want to see a handmade stamp in a box? Isn't that part of the hobby? I'm not saying anyone is a horrible planter, I'm just saying that I personally prefer to see handmade stamps and I am disappointed if I think that's what I'm getting and then I get a box of pamphlets instead.
Reply to: #80158 by Jenni P McD
Mar 22, 2007 11:39am
Thread
Quote We try to do our best.

Well, to be perfectly honest, I can't say I've tried my "best" with the vast majority of boxes I've planted. =) Often, it's a last minute plant with a hastily carved stamp and I'm too lazy to make the clue interesting, etc, etc, etc. Very few of my boxes would I say I tried my "best". =)

I'm happy with average, though. An average box is still fun to look for. *nodding*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #80200 by Green Tortuga
Mar 22, 2007 11:53am
Thread
I'm happy with average, though. An average box is still fun to look for.

See! You proved my point! The Bell curve in action. :->

I think most of us do 'average boxes most of the time....

JPMcD
Re: fun Tees
Reply to: #80135 by Dixie
Mar 22, 2007 11:56am
Thread
Those are wonderful T-shirts!

I want one of the Pippi Longstocking ones - that's one of my favourite quotes, and I think one of my guys will want a camo one, but we don't have Paypal.

Would it be possible to send you a check by mail?
Webfoot can vouch for my credit-worthiness - none of my checks to her have ever bounced ;)

Mariette
(would skip the check to the gas company before I'd do without my carving stuff - who needs heat anyway?)
Reply to: #80135 by Dixie
Mar 22, 2007 1:08pm
Thread
*think, think, thinking*

When does hubby get paid??? Is it this Friday, or next.......????

Gonna get me some tees

( don-na-na-na )

Gonna get me some PZ (pronounced for this song as Peez)

( don-na-na-na )

VERY nice Dixie!!! Now I just gotta figure out which one I want first! ;)

moonshowr
Re: Cootie Crew Club Shirt & Patch
Reply to: #79846 by Ish
Mar 23, 2007 8:30am
Thread
Quote I had to read up thread to find out that you really meant stamps, as in USPS

Thanks for the laugh

Now if we could get the USPS to understand that our stamps are valuable, we'll be on to something there
;-)
S~N~K
California Patches Are Here!
Mar 23, 2007 6:33pm
Thread
The Letterboxing California patches have arrived, and they look great! To those who have sent me an order in the mail already, your patches will be sent out on Monday. If anyone else wants to order or has any questions, please e-mail me. There will be patches available at the San Diego gathering tomorrow, and there will most likely be some at the San Jose gathering next week as well.

Tdyans
Re: California Patches Are Here!
Reply to: #80595 by Tdyans
Mar 23, 2007 7:04pm
Thread
Quote The Letterboxing California patches have arrived...... and there will most likely be some at the San Jose gathering next week as well.

I have dibs on one at the San Jose gathering! =o)

Rhea
Reply to: #80207 by SubRosa
Mar 26, 2007 4:08pm
Thread
yes...
oh course I will take a check.
the contact info and mailing address is online :)

keep in mind that I can print shirts with your own slogans or logos too

http://www.dixiegraphix.com
Blue Diamond Worthy Letterboxer Patches running out!
Mar 27, 2007 12:04pm
Thread
Thanks to everyone who ordered one of these patches. I hope the people who have received them are happy with the product! Orders are still trickling in, and I have placed some aside for those who told me their checks were in the mail. I have also set aside some for the "Morbid Affair" gathering in April.

But for anyone who has not contacted me yet, and wants them before May 1st, you should contact me right away so I can place another large order. Believe it or not, almost 200 patches were ordered in less than a week!

And yes, I am still giving away an "adult" stamp image to everyone who asks for one in their order. :)

LW PhD
"Nice Counts"
Re: Blue Diamond Worthy Letterboxer Patches running out!
Reply to: #81384 by Lock Wench
Mar 27, 2007 12:07pm
Thread
I must not have been paying attention, but how much are the patches and how do I get one? because I want one...I'm proud of my blue diamond box. :-)

night writer
AQ patch
Mar 28, 2007 6:50am
Thread
Has there ever been an AQ patch? If not, why not?! I'd love to have a patch featuring Marjorie. Someone should get on this.
Re: AQ patch
Reply to: #81565 by Mososo Kruppe
Mar 28, 2007 6:56am
Thread
Oh I think this is a GOOD idea! :-)
Mar 28, 2007 8:16am
Thread
YES!!! We want some!!
Mar 28, 2007 8:34am
Thread
Quote Has there ever been an AQ patch? If not, why not?!

No, I'm kind of lazy about selling actual physical products. Not really my cup of tea. I like the freedom of working on a website, being able to travel, and not having to constantly worry about filling orders or carrying inventory. So it's never really been a high priority for me. *shrug*

Once a year, though, I've been selling those AQ calendars. Which is kind of convenient since I take orders for them, buy exactly the number I need to fill the order (plus a few extra for myself, for friends, and for family as Christmas presents). It's still kind of a hassle to send, but at least it's only a couple of days a year I have to worry about that and the actual inventory I usually have in my possession less than 24 hours. Just long enough for me to get rid of it! Nice little setup. =)

I'm thinking about adding patches next time around. I'll already be mailing lots of calendars. It's not much extra effort to add patches if people want one. So later this year, you might get your chance. But they'll be around for a limited time only. ;o)

-- Ryan
Patch Page
Mar 28, 2007 9:04am
Thread
With all the new patches that have been appearing of late, I thought it would be good to remind folks about the page that Mark Pepe created http://letterboxpatches.blogspot.com/ You can find information there about how to get the various patches from around the country. I'd love to see the new ones show up there, too. I'm sure Mark would be happy to add them. Funhog
Re: Patch Page
Reply to: #81610 by Funhog
Mar 28, 2007 9:09am
Thread
Quote Mark Pepe created http://letterboxpatches.blogspot.com/

Thanks, Funhog, for posting this (and thanks Mark, for posting them on your blog site). I was unaware of this, and enjoyed looking at the patches from around the country.

~SHH :-)
Mar 28, 2007 9:52am
Thread
I contacted Mark about adding the Blue Diamond Worthy Letterboxer patch to his site but he said the site was for regional groups or those with a website only. So no BD Worthy Letterboxer or Cootie Crew patches allowed. You'll still have to contact the sellers directly for those!

LW
Mar 28, 2007 9:52am
Thread
I contacted Mark about adding the Blue Diamond Worthy Letterboxer patch to his site but he said the site was for regional groups or those with a website only. So no BD Worthy Letterboxer or Cootie Crew patches allowed. You'll still have to contact the sellers directly for those!

LW
Reply to: #81620 by Lock Wench
Mar 28, 2007 10:03am
Thread
Quote he said the site was for regional groups or those with a website only.

Really? Well, darn it, he needs to make a page for "other letterboxing patches." =)

On a related note, I think a lot of people forget that this feature is even here, but there is a "Link Directory" in the Toolbox menubar option. Allows anyone to add links to all their favorite letterboxing-related websites. Actually, that doesn't really describe it very well. Personal websites are listed through one's profile. The link directory is meant to point to useful websites for letterboxers to get information, even if the page isn't directly about letterboxing. (e.g. How to carve stamps, how to create books, etc.)

I added Mark's patch page so the link will be easier to find in the future, but if you have a page somewhere about the Blue Diamond Worthy Letterboxer, you can add a link directly to it there. =) If there's ever a LOT of different pages for letterboxing patches, I might even be inclined to make a whole category for it. =)

Ooh! Another idea. If you don't have a webpage to point to, you could also list the information in the WikiBoxing section. "Where can I get a blue diamond worthy letterboxer patch?" Then provide all the necessary information. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #81623 by Green Tortuga
Mar 28, 2007 10:07am
Thread
Quote Ooh! Another idea. If you don't have a webpage to point to, you could also list the information in the WikiBoxing section. "Where can I get a blue diamond worthy letterboxer patch?"

Perfect! I don't have a webpage with this info, so that would work. I also put the info in my profile "free flowing thoughts" area.

Thanks, Ryan!

LW
Letterboxing Massachusetts Patch Available!
Mar 29, 2007 9:50am
Thread
We are offering this patch to anyone interested while supplies last. We hope to hear from both in and out-of-state letterboxers!!! Here's a link(although the actual colors are a little brighter than this photo):
http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewphoto.html?gPhotoId=11257
Originally designed and carved as a Hitchhiker for a letterboxing friend, we decided to transform it into a patch too. It's a simple "twist" of a classic logo.
These are two inches square and will be offered at only $2 each with a self addressed stamped envelope. Cash or check will be accepted. One stamp should cover the postage for two patches. Please e-mail us privately at the address below with the quantity you're interested in. We'll send you our mailing address and hold them until payment arrives. I will consider reordering another batch if we run out and there's still enough interest!

Hope you like it!!! :o)

The Merry Pranksters

E-mail address: TheMerryPranksters@comcast.net

PS - This design can be easily transformed for ANY state. If someone desires to do another similar patch for a different state, I can send you all the contact information and it can be easily arranged for you!
Re: Letterboxing Massachusetts Patch Available!
Reply to: #81866 by The Merry Pranksters
Mar 29, 2007 1:02pm
Thread
Quote One stamp should cover the postage for two patches.

I wouldn't count on that. For patches, you probably should use at least two stamps. They like to charge extra for "lumpy" envelopes since those can't be processed through their machines and need to work to sort and process.

To be better safe than sorry, I'd include two stamps. *nodding*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #81918 by Green Tortuga
Mar 29, 2007 1:40pm
Thread
I have been using 1 stamp for 2 patches..and my patches are considerably larger than yours. Mine is 3.5 x 3, has full stitching ( meaning the entire patch is embroidery) and has a metallic silver thread edging. So far, so good! At least no one has told me they've come with postage due!

LW PhD
"Nice Counts"
Reply to: #81918 by Green Tortuga
Mar 29, 2007 2:41pm
Thread
Quote I wouldn't count on that. For patches, you probably should use at least two stamps. They like to charge extra for "lumpy" envelopes since those can't be processed through their machines and need to work to sort and process.

To be better safe than sorry, I'd include two stamps. *nodding*

Thanks for the heads up Ryan! I'll be a sport and cover any additional postage
on two patches if required!!! :o)

The Merry Pranksters
t-shirt design updated
Apr 3, 2007 6:14pm
Thread
I have updated the design for the "Things to Look for" tee.
you may recognize it better as the Pippi Longstocking quote t-shirt.
here is an image of the front design. it has changed from the original design.
http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewphoto.html?gPhotoId=11717
Re: t-shirt design updated
Reply to: #83130 by Dixie
Apr 3, 2007 6:23pm
Thread
This is my favorite shirt and I've requested it for my birthday. Any chance you could add it in purple?

-Tyra (Murray7)
Reply to: #83130 by Dixie
Apr 3, 2007 7:26pm
Thread
Oooh, I want the limited edition technical problems to be worked out T-shirt!!! So many choices...

Great stuff!!!

't'
dtandfambly
Reply to: #83133 by Murray Herd
Apr 3, 2007 8:00pm
Thread
are you looking for a darker purple or a violet color?