A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing with Disabilities

Re: Wheelchair
Board: Letterboxing with Disabilities
Reply to: #929829 by Galaxy Guardian
Jun 30, 2016 10:16am
Thread
There are quite a few plants in guard rails. Unfortunately, this does not get away from traffic and cars rushing past. Rest stops have them too. There are some overlook areas that have decks and bridges to waterfalls. Finally, there are hides in cities that are very clever!

I hope this helps,

phynstar
Reply to: #929829 by Galaxy Guardian
Jun 30, 2016 11:27am
Thread
I feel for you. I'm hoping that when my brother-in-law finishes making the car rack for my husband's wheelchair & new scooter I'll be able to get out & do some boxing again. All I can do right now are the occasional cemetery & drive-by that posts to our area. I can't bring myself to leave him alone at home on my 1 day off work or leave him sitting in the car while I rush through a trail to get back. I can't wait to get back to St. Louis. They are planting fools there.
Reply to: #929848 by Topcollector
Jun 30, 2016 1:10pm
Thread
Just food for thought and I am not a wheelchair user however I have lots of friends in chairs, I would try and Google earth the location you plan on going to before you set out. This will set you up for success as you will know what the area is like in the terrain is like. I have often found people that Mark something as wheelchair friendly is not exactly wheelchair friendly at all, Especially if the boxer is by themselves - I personally don't mark my boxes as wheelchair friendly unless I know for sure someone can roll up to the box and grab it themselves , but that's just me.
Reply to: #929833 by Boxer Lover47
Jul 1, 2016 5:08pm
Thread
Yeah some of the wheel chair icons in spring grove are like it's in ____ bush and I'm like unless you have stretch Armstrong arms you aren't reaching inside a big bush lol. I think I might have to scope them out and make sure and then plan a day
Reply to: #929835 by phynstar
Jul 1, 2016 5:10pm
Thread
Yeah, I think I'll just have to be more diligent on reading clues as well, if he had a scooter it'd be easier but a manual wheelchair is a bear on the back if I have to take him over the river and through the creek to grandmas letterbox we go. I'm only 26, but that makes you old quick
Reply to: #929848 by Topcollector
Jul 1, 2016 5:13pm
Thread
Yeah. Spring grove here in Cincinnati has a ton, but often it's hidden in bushes or the very bottom of head stones or require massive amounts of trudging through somewhat hilly grass from clue to clue. Great for the average boxer.... I kinda wish we could get an event day.... Wait a minute!!!! That's it
An event to plant for diabled letterboxers
Jul 1, 2016 5:25pm
Thread
In a different thread I was talking about how I would love it if there was some type of event to get our community to plant more boxes for our disabled/wheelchair bound letterboxers or people that wanted to become boxers. Then it hit me. Why not make an event, so on October 1,2016 I made an event called "A Plant for Disabled Letterboxers". Please pass it around and get the word out so we can extend our family and our fun out to others, thanks.
Re: An event to plant for diabled letterboxers
Reply to: #929943 by Galaxy Guardian
Jul 1, 2016 6:54pm
Thread
As a disabled boxer myself i love this idea ! Im all over it ! Who else is in?
Reply to: #929947 by brailleboxer
Jul 1, 2016 8:35pm
Thread
My brother is actually paralyzed from the waist down. Since I've joined the letterbox community he's been wanting to go, but most boxes are too difficult. I figured this is a way to expand our reach and bring more friends and family into the fun of letterboxing
Reply to: #929947 by brailleboxer
Jul 1, 2016 8:42pm
Thread
Also I have it posted in the events section.
Jul 1, 2016 8:48pm
Thread
What are some things that make it a good hide for those disabled and/or in a wheel chair?

I am guessing that hiding boxes at waist height as opposed to on the ground under something, but what else.

Brailleboxer chime in as well, for those whom are visually impaired.

~Aurora
Reply to: #929966 by The hicks from the sticks
Jul 1, 2016 10:00pm
Thread
On the ground is possible. Most letterboxes however are hidden in bush bases. Behind trees on hills and in tight holes under head stones. Letterboxes can be reached from the ground but it's the reach length is what we usually don't think of.
Reply to: #929966 by The hicks from the sticks
Jul 1, 2016 10:07pm
Thread
Also availability to place stamps that can be grasped with reach sticks as well is an idea. Slender bags can work as well and making it able to be grasped and put back via reach sticks is another clever way(I'd put that as a req. in the hints though) This can extend their reach radius.
Jul 2, 2016 5:04am
Thread
I am wheelchair bound and have three word of mouth plants here in ct. All were planted from my chair but it's tough on the pusher. One is under the edge of a large rock and requires a reaching tool, one is in a guardrail and one is behind a plaque on a bridge with a sidewalk. I signed up for the event and will most likely use a local guardrail that's accessible with my power chair.
Jul 2, 2016 7:24am
Thread
Oh, I'm in! This is a great idea!
Reply to: #929963 by Galaxy Guardian
Jul 2, 2016 7:28am
Thread
I'd love to join! I live about 15 minutes from Cinci, so you'll probably get to find it. :)
Reply to: #930004 by StampingIsMyForte
Jul 2, 2016 1:53pm
Thread
Maybe that'll be my brothers first find :)
Disabled letterboxes event Pt. 2
Jul 31, 2016 7:13pm
Thread
I'm sorry that I have not updated the event in the past two weeks. My brother and I went on a vacation. It's very difficult to help him through DC with his wheelchair. Most people don't even realize he's right next to them :(. Till we got his assist motor wheelchair running. Then they realized or got ran over.
Re: Disabled letterboxes event Pt. 2
Reply to: #932140 by Galaxy Guardian
Jul 31, 2016 9:36pm
Thread
It's amazing how people are inconsiderate of those in wheelchairs. Pugs sometimes needs one if we are out walking all day. We went to Colonial Williamsburg and the one thing I wanted to see the most was the Flutes and Drums. Got there early and got what I thought was front row and parked his wheelchair. As the show almost started a man stood smack in front of Pugs as if he wasn't there...like, super close, Pugs could have kicked him with little effort. Not fun to have the view of some other man's butt.... So I moved him over a bit. As soon as they started marching up the green, a crowd swarmed us and all of a sudden instead of front row, we were 5-6 rows back. He couldn't see a thing, and frankly neither could I. I raised a camera above my head to snap a picture of what we couldn't see, and got out of there. And yep, nearly had to run people over to do it. I was so mad. Plus side, pushing him back to the shuttle got some frustrated energy out lol!

BUT wheelchairs can have their benefit. While at the Farmer's Market if he uses his wheelchair, I get to put all our goodies in his lap. And we get to board among the first people on planes no matter what our ticket says. :)
Re: carving tools
Reply to: #888797 by brandicat
Aug 4, 2016 6:58pm
Thread
Thank you
Non-disabled seeking tips to make a box handicap accessible
Sep 18, 2017 4:48pm
Thread
Hello!

I recently planted a letterbox, and I just realized that it is about 95% accessible for letterboxers who are in wheelchairs or have other disabilities. It's in a city park around a lake, and most of the trails are paved. This find is on one of the paved paths, and two parking lots with wheelchair acesses are less than a mile away with all paved paths in between.

My only conundrum now is to figure out where and how to relocate the box. It's currently hidden behind a large tree stump next to the path. I know I probably need to move it to make it 100% wheelchair accessible. Does anyone have any tips on wheelchair accessible hiding places? The area is wooded, so there are plenty trees around. I may be able to hide it *in* the tree stump, but I won't be able to go out to the hiding place for a few days and be sure. Examples of other wheelchair accessible hides would be helpful.

Also, are there any other non-wheelchair issues I should think about?

Sincerely,
Phyrelight
Re: Non-disabled seeking tips to make a box handicap accessible
Reply to: #951444 by phyrelight
Sep 18, 2017 7:13pm
Thread
Here's the info that comes up when you select the handicapped icon:
The trail or path to the letterbox should be accessible by wheelchairs or strollers the entire way. However, the letterbox itself may not be reachable from a wheelchair or stroller, and those using them may need assistance from others to actually acquire the box. The letterbox may be planted too high or low for someone in a wheelchair to physically reach, or too far off from the main trail for a wheelchair, but as long as an assistant can retrieve the box and bring it back for the wheelchair-bound person, it's considered wheelchair accessible.

So it doesn't need to be 100% wheelchair accessible.
Re: Non-disabled seeking tips to make a box handicap accessible
Reply to: #951444 by phyrelight
Sep 20, 2017 2:53pm
Thread
I have a few I planted from my wheelchair. Two are in guardrails, one behind a rock is retrieveable with a grabber and another one is behind a plaque on a bridge. It's not easy to plant a truly wheelchair accessible box.
What motivates you
Oct 9, 2017 4:39pm
Thread
I gotta say this. Back in April, I was hit by someone who ran a stop sign and have been unable to hike and box since. I've been dealing with swelling and pain and a plethora of issues from the crash. Today, my doctor tried steroids injected directly into my knee. Yes, that is as painful as it sounds. The whole time, I kept chanting, "new boxes at [favorite trails]. New boxes at [favorite trails]."
Re: What motivates you
Reply to: #952347 by BristolStitch
Oct 9, 2017 5:10pm
Thread
Hope you get well soon and find yourself feeling good enough to get back out there ~ Good luck to you.
WW52
Re: What motivates you
Reply to: #952347 by BristolStitch
Oct 9, 2017 5:51pm
Thread
I'm not very motivated right now to box. Hard to get motivated to box alone and I feel guilty when I leave my disabled husband alone at home on the weekend since I work and he's pretty much alone all week. But I've been energized by doing LTCs. Finished 3 sets plus my Christmas carve since Friday, so I'm feeling good. Hope you get to feeling better.
I'm Back
Feb 8, 2018 5:21pm
Thread
Back from suffering a stroke. In April, I suffered a brain bleed & the clot burst.

I went through some rehab & I am stuck now with minimum movement in my right arm & leg.

I'm hoping to find some Letterboxes that are wheelchair friendly. If you know of any in my area, please let me know.

Jaxx
Re: I'm Back
Reply to: #956687 by Jaxx
Feb 8, 2018 5:44pm
Thread
WOOHOO!!!

Jaxxxxx is Baaaxxxxx!!!!

Welcome back, buddy! It's an honor to have you return!
Reply to: #956687 by Jaxx
Feb 8, 2018 6:11pm
Thread
I'm so sorry to hear that. It's very scary. I'm glad you're back at it.
Reply to: #956688 by wassamatta u
Feb 27, 2018 5:23pm
Thread
Thanks Mr. Moose