Dec 6, 2010 3:42pm
Thread
Sweetie....oh how I missed you!
Re: I cant even contain myself!
Board: Travel the World, Eat Some Cow Lips
Reply to: #569388 by Crazyolis
Dec 6, 2010 4:19pm
Thread
cant even mention it on Facebook, cus my son is my friend and I dont want him to know about it yet

Actually, you can. When you write the post, click the little lock before you hit share. It will give you options for who can and cannot see the post. I got my parents a Groupon to their favorite restro for xmas, but still wanted to post it in case someone might buy one through my link (and someone did!). I just excluded mom and dad from the post! :)
Dec 6, 2010 4:24pm
Thread
that's awesome!!!!!
Dec 6, 2010 8:23pm
Thread
You do know there's supposed to be a letterbox there
:-D
Dec 7, 2010 3:56am
Thread
That is AWESOME news!!!

I've been eyieng a trip there for the past few years. I've wanted to find a geocache on the 7th continent. I wonder f there are LB there to find too - hmm. The only thing holding me back has been the cost. I've figured that the ballpark price is about $10,000. When did your dad win the lottery??? Then again, as they say - You can't take it with you.

Is there any chance that you could share the cruise info? Is it a National Geographic cruise or another company?

Craig
in Connecticut
Reply to: #569393 by Crazyolis
Dec 7, 2010 8:31am
Thread
take me tooooo!!! take me too!!!!
Dec 7, 2010 3:29pm
Thread
Hey, you get to be first finder on a letterbox there.
Reply to: #569516 by CraigInCT
Dec 8, 2010 4:57am
Thread
Sure...
We are going with Tauck. www.tauck.com

My dad had talked to a travel agent and she has had great experience with this company. I wont lie to you...it will be very expensive. But very worth it, from what I hear. Dad has a friend that went a few years ago and said it was phenominal. Long long trip getting there but so totally worth it.

The "season" is very short....December, January and Feb.

Its funny, he has always wanted to go, then my kids talk all the time about wanting to see the penguins and polar bears (though sadly they are at the other pole!). He thought about taking them, but figured they would have to fly to GA (we are in NY) by themselves or he would have to fly up here to get them. Then sort of thought he really cant take them to a trip like that without taking us(the parents). Then figured he couldnt take one of his kids and not the other...so his single trip turned into a trip for 7! But it will be fun doing it as a family. (sorta...my SIL is a bit of a prima donna when it comes to traveling and I swore I would never travel with her again)

But he was very successful in his career, extremely smart in his investing and can afford it. And also goes on the thought of you cant take it with you.

Check out the website...they have a lot of cruises around the world...If I won the lottery i would do them all!!
Reply to: #569803 by Crazyolis
Dec 9, 2010 4:03am
Thread
Thanks for the info. That is the cheapest I've seen lately. Its good that they get you on the land. I've seen cruises where they sit in a bay and thats as close as they get.

Have a blast!

Craig
Road trip
Dec 14, 2010 7:38pm
Thread
My husband has decided that we're going to take a road trip from Orlando, to Albuquerque, NM
o.0
He planned the trip from Jan. 2 to the 11th
And he just told me this yesterday.

Please, I need all the advice I can get.

Thanks
Sits N Knits
Re: Road trip
Reply to: #571419 by Sits N Knits
Dec 14, 2010 7:45pm
Thread

Print all the clues to boxes you can get to that you will pass!
Dec 14, 2010 7:53pm
Thread
we're going to take a road trip from Orlando, to Albuquerque, NM

Depends.

Though you may need to slightly adust your trailname...
Dec 14, 2010 8:00pm
Thread
You can check the boxes we found on our trip out west this last September. We went from Georgia down to the gulf coast (Alabama/Mississippi) and out to California and back.
Reply to: #571434 by wassamatta u
Dec 14, 2010 8:00pm
Thread
Sheesh, wassa!

Where's that darn *GROAN* button when you need it???'

TG
Dec 14, 2010 8:04pm
Thread
My husband has decided that we're going to take a road trip from Orlando, to Albuquerque, NM
o.0
He planned the trip from Jan. 2 to the 11th
And he just told me this yesterday.

He plans without you?? Hmmmm....

I'd take a laptop and a printer with me. Each night I'd check the route for the next day and print boxes I could reasonably plan to find. I hope he's on board with you doing some boxing.
Now of course if you have a smart phone with the right software...... you'd be all set for whatever/whereever you go.
Have fun!
Reply to: #571434 by wassamatta u
Dec 14, 2010 8:04pm
Thread
Though you may need to slightly adjust your trail name

Humm..I don't get it
Unless you're referring to "Sits, Knits, Drives, Argues about missed exit, Knits furiously over argument, argues more about taking out too much time to letterbox, and Knits some more"

And I can still hear Bugs Bunny saying "I should have taken that left at Albuquerque"

:-D
Reply to: #571444 by Sits N Knits
Dec 14, 2010 8:07pm
Thread
Humm..I don't get it

You're not missing much! We keep telling wassa that if he has to explain the joke, it isn't funny. But he just doesn't seem to understand. :)

TG *who was unfortunate enough to get it*
Reply to: #571445 by Trekkie Gal
Dec 24, 2010 12:01pm
Thread
We keep telling wassa that if he has to explain the joke, it isn't funny. But he just doesn't seem to understand. :)

That's me, you're talking about. You always get the two of us confused. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #573373 by Green Tortuga
Dec 24, 2010 3:19pm
Thread
It must be because you look so much alike...
Reply to: #573396 by Eidolon
Dec 24, 2010 10:18pm
Thread

Hey! Only I'm allowed to insult the #2 man around these parts.... =)

-- Ryan, ready for a #2 joke
Reply to: #573396 by Eidolon
Dec 25, 2010 12:41am
Thread

Actually, it is a little known fact, but Ryan and I were born conjoined twins, 12 years apart.
I believe this explains a lot.
need questions about USAir answered tonight
Mar 8, 2011 9:38pm
Thread
1) how picky are they about the exact dimension of carry-on luggage? if it's within half an inch will they make me stick it in the thingie to measure it?

2) what do they mean when they say they will be putting my carry on luggage in a cargo bin and returning it at plane-side on arrival? Am I carrying it on or is this what it sounds like, that they're gate-checking it? ie...can/should I put my computer in there or do I have to put the computer in my "purse" in order to keep it in my personal possession? I used to work on the ramp, and I don't want my computer anywhere near the bag handlers or the cargo bins (don't want it tossed or crushed). and I'm not picking on USAir...I wouldn't let anyone's bag handlers or cargo bin near my computer...

Romana
Re: need questions about USAir answered tonight
Reply to: #591055 by Romana
Mar 8, 2011 11:38pm
Thread
how picky are they about the exact dimension of carry-on luggage?

I haven't seen them make an issue about bag size lately. Might depend on the agents, how full the plane is, etc., though.

what do they mean when they say they will be putting my carry on luggage in a cargo bin and returning it at plane-side on arrival?

They usually only do this on the smaller planes (like the one I use to fly from Phoenix to SLO). The overhead bins on those planes are smaller than the regular planes and a lot of people's luggage that is normally allowed as carry-on just doesn't fit, so they'll give you a yellow tag for it and put in the back the plane. Then, when the plane gets to its destination, they'll return the bag to you directly at the gate. The bag will not be in your control during that time, and anything you might want to use during the flight shouldn't be in it, but you should get it back at the gate--not at baggage check.

If they offer to check the bag to your final destination and you aren't given a yellow tag for it, you won't see that bag again until baggage claim.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #591071 by Green Tortuga
Mar 8, 2011 11:58pm
Thread
If it is "gate" checked it comes back to you at the gate, this is not so bad....and you can check bags at the gate to baggage claim and not be charged the fees that they charge at the ticket counter.

HOWEVER, I would not put my laptop in the checked bag, gate checked or checked to baggage claim. On some flights if you are ZONE 5 (USAirways) then they will be checking your bags to baggage claim at the gate and you won't have a choice. But this is only if the flight is full and I'm here to tell you that ALL the flights are full. Very rarely can you get away without having them check a bag. If you are Zone 1-3 board when they call you , don't dawdle, because the overhead space WILL BE Full and you WILL be forced to check your bag whether you like it or not.

the small planes, express and regional jets, your bags won't fit in the overhead compartments anyway and they planeside check them. It is like gate checking....they check it and you get it back at the door at your destination. Again, I always take out my laptop at this point.

However, today, I did that and the tag must of fallen off my bag somehow, they left my bag over at the cargo door, I told the girl, "that's my bag with the big red ARKEBAUER tag and duct tape", she said the gate check tag was not on it, so they would have to send it to baggage claim and I could not get it here, planeside, and I am an EMPLOYEE!! No special favors here let me tell ya

-Amanda from Seattle
Mar 9, 2011 3:04am
Thread
Can you pack really light and put your laptop into a regular backpack instead? I just flew home last night on a completely full Delta commuter flight, and more than half the plane was waiting for their gate-checked bags. But for a 3-day trip I only brought what would fit in a regular backpack so it could go under the seat (including all my letterboxing stuff, a hardcover library book, food, a gift for my friend in NC, and clothing of course). I bet if you packed very efficiently you could avoid a small suitcase and they'll leave you alone.
Mar 9, 2011 4:50am
Thread
Thanks everyone, I'll pass this on to my mom. I absolutely love the community here; that you can ask anything and get quick, accurate answers from people who actually know.

Romana
Passports
Jun 9, 2011 1:01pm
Thread
I hope to save some poor LBers from passport problems. You can get a renewal form for your passport from the post officie. In the written instructions, they are very particular about how your photo should look. So, I was very particular w/the instructions including size from chin to the top of the hair, a white background, 2" x2", and taken in the last 6 months. They sent the whole pack back to me saying my photo was unacceptable. I didn't know why it was unacceptable but went to Walgreen's to get one done by them. I told them my story and they asked me if I was smiling in the picture. I said "yes' and they told me that was the problem even though that wasn't mentioned in the instructions. I was required to send it registered mail 2x at $4.93 apiece. They sent it back regular mail. So, just give them your prison pic and # because I know you won't be SMILING then. SunnySmile
Re: Passports
Reply to: #612906 by SunnySmile
Jun 9, 2011 9:20pm
Thread
I went to get mine, not thinking about what I was wearing at the time (which was a halter tank top) The woman at AAA told me something had to be done because it looked like I was naked in the pic! I had to borrow the managers suit jacket for the picture! But I was smiling and I still got my passport.
Reply to: #613002 by EverAfter83
Jun 9, 2011 9:28pm
Thread
Indiana is issuing fancy new driver's licenses, and we aren't allowed to smile for those pictures anymore either. So they REALLY look like crap.

TG
Reply to: #613203 by speedsquare
Jun 11, 2011 2:07pm
Thread
I had to get a photo for a special work visa I needed as a flight attendant and they said they had to see my ears. I had to pull my hair back behind my earlobes even though it was a straight on photo not a profile shot.

Amanda from Seattle