A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: Tools of the Trade

Re: Affordable Stamp pads?
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #985084 by coldsnap
Mar 30, 2020 5:52pm
Thread
Thank you. I never see them at Michaels or Joann's or Hobby Lobby.
Reply to: #985083 by condo
Mar 30, 2020 7:10pm
Thread
Is Stampeaz back up and running? Her prices are good, and it's, well, Webfoot. Best customer service ever. She has dewdrops & reinkers.
Reply to: #985053 by Eidyia
Mar 30, 2020 7:26pm
Thread
If you live near a Joann’s, or Hobby Lobby, watch for their sales. They sometimes have 50% off an entire category, or a certain brand. (Michael’s has sales, but everything is usually gone when I get there...your results may vary ;-)
I know of boxers who prefer to use black ink exclusively. It does give their journal a kind of sleek look.
Good luck and have fun!
Reply to: #985053 by Eidyia
Apr 2, 2020 10:25pm
Thread
Colorbox has gone out of business and their inkpads are getting pretty scarce. I do like their pinwheel set for convenience though. I have used Versafine in the past and will have to check out the squares.

Lynn
Reply to: #985085 by condo
Apr 3, 2020 6:36am
Thread
We buy our re-inker bottles at Michaels.
Reply to: #985081 by MichKathy
Apr 3, 2020 6:38am
Thread
Yes, the "chunky" (fat?) markers so you can slant it and cover larger surfaces or use the point and get fine lines.

I like chunky markers... and I cannot lie...
Reply to: #985303 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Apr 3, 2020 10:31am
Thread
what brand? thanks
Reply to: #985310 by condo
Apr 3, 2020 2:06pm
Thread
Ranger Archival Ink - jet black
Containing Small Stamps
Apr 6, 2020 9:08am
Thread
Hello-
I'm currently in the middle of creating a 12 stamp letter boxing series (the corona virus shut down has given me a lot of free time!) and have run into a small problem. I don't have enough small tupperware containers! My stamps are only around 1 inch wide and 2 inch tall and I feel bad using larger tupperware containers to contain them.
Does anyone have creative ways of containing small stamps?
Also sorry if this is on the wrong board lol
Re: Containing Small Stamps
Reply to: #985442 by orangetrail
Apr 6, 2020 9:41am
Thread
Does anyone have creative ways of containing small stamps?

You may be limited by stores being closed right now, but online you may be able to find small containers, various snap-top types (made for portable snacks, etc), film canisters, or make DIY pouches out of ziplocs and duct tape. Generally, these fail to be water-tight, but if you put only a stamp in them, it will not be ruined by moisture. Use one larger, water-tight container, combined with ziploc bags (INSIDE!) for the one containing the logbook for the series.
Reply to: #985443 by Wise Wanderer
Apr 6, 2020 10:49am
Thread
You could always duct tape small ziplocks.

BB
Apr 6, 2020 12:51pm
Thread
If they are just under 1x2 inches, try a film canister. Otherwise, I use these containers for smaller stamps, up to 2x3 or so. 35 cents each with tax, and mostly watertight!
https://www.dollartree.com/plastic-snack-containers-with-lock-top-lids-3ct-packs/207324
Reply to: #985454 by RIclimber
Apr 6, 2020 1:07pm
Thread
I saw those in my local Dollar Tree. I was wondering if they would be worth buying to use for letterboxes.
Reply to: #985458 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 6, 2020 1:13pm
Thread
These are awesome for event stamps planted temporarily, or for stamps planted without a logbook. I definitely don't trust them to be water tight for extended use with a logbook, but I also haven't tested this thoroughly.

Thanks for the link, RIclimber! I didn't know they could purchased online in bulk! Squee!
Apr 6, 2020 2:18pm
Thread
Reply to: #985454 by RIclimber
Apr 6, 2020 2:32pm
Thread
The DollarTree containers these link to are about 4.5” X 3.4” which is a pretty large container to just hold a small-ish stamp. I think there are smaller containers typically used for snacks and salad dressings and the like. I have seen them in sets, but are probably available individually if you search.
Apr 6, 2020 4:08pm
Thread
I don't have enough small tupperware containers!

I hope you mean "tupperware" in the generic sense and are not using genuine Tupperware. That stuff is not good for letterboxing.
Reply to: #985471 by Kirbert
Apr 6, 2020 4:16pm
Thread
Yeah- I mean the general plastic-container category over all!
Reply to: #985466 by MissMoon
Apr 6, 2020 4:17pm
Thread
thank u!
Apr 6, 2020 4:24pm
Thread
As always, I recommend the use of largemouth screw-top containers with a gasket cut from shower pan liner purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot. Besides being cheap, one big advantage of this scheme is that you know shower pan liner will hold up long term. The seals in genuine Lock 'N Locks are very durable as well, but the same cannot be said for many other lock-top food containers, especially cheap ones. The gasket in such containers has to be very soft indeed to seal reliably, and making a rubber gasket soft enough yet durable enough is apparently expensive, perhaps requiring genuine silicone. The gaskets in Lock 'N Locks are also hollow, which is probably an expensive manufacturing process. I've tossed many cheap boxes in which the seal was too hard to truly seal and others which dried up and crumbled in only months in the wild.

Another advantage of the screw-top containers, of course, is you can choose the size you want. Peanut butter alone comes in several shapes and sizes, plus there are innumerable other products that come in usable jars. Plus, if you really want to do a lot of planting, you can go to Wally World and buy a whole pallet of plastic canning jars for a song. Be sure to get only the plastic jars with plastic tops -- you don't want the jars with metal tops.

The only disadvantages of using screw-top jars are 1) some of our fellow boxers evidently have arthritis and have issues getting them open -- and tightening the top securely when closing. 2) Some people evidently cannot figure out the gasket; I've found it crumpled up and jammed inside the jar. I've taken to writing "Please position this gasket within cap when closing" right on the gasket with a Sharpie, but unfortunately a Sharpie fades and that's not legible a few years down the line.
Apr 6, 2020 5:29pm
Thread
I recently ordered these. They're small and roughly 2.5 inches in diameter. I highly recommend them, but It would have to be a pretty small stamp and logbook is you're planing on including them. It's 2$ per container, and comes in a pack of 4. Not a bad buy!
Apr 6, 2020 5:41pm
Thread
Here is what I use. I've been planting these for about 6 months now and so far so good. They have a rubber gasket similar to Lock-N-Lock containers.
Reply to: #985479 by AdventurousAcorn
Apr 6, 2020 5:59pm
Thread
I love the little round ones!
Apr 6, 2020 7:26pm
Thread
you can use pill bottles.
Apr 6, 2020 8:41pm
Thread
I have boxes I am not using. What state are you in? Because postage is expensive if we are far apart. I am in Buffalo NY. Better yet, AQ message me, because I don't check here often.
Reply to: #985486 by SpitFire
Apr 6, 2020 10:06pm
Thread
you can use pill bottles.

They certainly work but are not waterproof. They are also brittle and won't do so well in any sunlight. When I use pill bottles (or any re-purposed container) I wrap it in camouflaged duct tape. That way they are less noticeable and are better protected from sun and weather. When the duct tape eventually weathers you can just take it off an re-tape it.
Reply to: #985458 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 7, 2020 5:02am
Thread
We have had pretty good luck with those in the midwest. We rough them up with sandpaper, spray paint them, and then run a piece of duct tape across the top and bottom where the paint might scratch off. I have also painted them inside and outside. We also double bag the stamp and logbook.
Apr 7, 2020 7:39am
Thread
In my experience with boxes, I find many times it does not matter what container you get, human error ruins the box.

Certain containers like the cheap glad ones crack and break almost immediately, and even when they do not they are not impermeable to water, so those definitely should not be used. The problem is even with the better ones, finders will replace them without checking the lids. Gaskets get dirty and need to be cleaned, or tops go back on and some of the plastic bag gets caught at the seam. I find by having good quality double bags inside, it usually helps that. The problem then arises is that finders do not seem to know how to close ziplock bags either. And I’m not singling out any single finder here, I’m blaming all of us because the majority of boxes I find are NOT replaced properly.
Reply to: #985506 by Dawgdok
Apr 7, 2020 10:34am
Thread
The problem then arises is that finders do not seem to know how to close ziplock bags

With most of the boxes I find it’s not
a matter of closing the bags. If the contents and the bags are a nice snug fit inside the container it’s a matter of folding the bags up with the air forced out of them. The snug fit and folding goes a long way in keeping things dry.
Reply to: #985506 by Dawgdok
Apr 7, 2020 1:31pm
Thread
...the majority of boxes I find are NOT replaced properly.

To that end, choices can be made to help minimize the problem. First of all, it helps to choose containers that are easy to open and close securely. Lock 'N Locks are great except that it's possible to install the lid upside down. My preference, screw-top containers, are tough for some with arthritis. Planter's pouches made by duct-taping a Ziploc bag are #$%^ *miserable* to get closed properly -- but the type Safari Man used that didn't involve a Ziploc were pretty easy.

Another thing we can do is avoid cramming the container too full. Some boxers seem to feel that any container larger than a deck of cards is simply too big to hide, and shop around trying to buy those tiny containers. And then someone tries to drop off a HH that's the size of a compact Japanese car. Start using containers that are large enough the finder can pretty much just drop the log book and stamp in and close it up, and then learn how to hide such containers. It's not difficult, it just takes a different mindset.