A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Tools of the Trade

Re: Opinions on best ink pads and experiences w/ different kinds
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #981133 by PiggyJaunt
Nov 15, 2019 3:23pm
Thread
I like the Versafine Onyx Black not just for the rich color but also for the handy case with a flip top lid.
Reply to: #981134 by shooz
Nov 15, 2019 7:01pm
Thread
What's the difference with archival ink?
Nov 15, 2019 7:02pm
Thread
Oh! It turns out this is by the same brand as the ink I previously mentioned!
Nov 15, 2019 7:09pm
Thread
How are the tsukineko memento pads? It's by the same brand as versafine and seems to be popular on Amazon. I found a nicely priced set.
https://www.amazon.com/Tsukineko-MD-012-100-12-Piece-Assortment-Fade-Resistant/dp/B001CRGKGI/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=tsukineko+memento&qid=1573873605&sr=8-3
Reply to: #981148 by NeonKraken
Nov 15, 2019 7:22pm
Thread
I use the black Versafine with that flip top also. It’s great. But for colors the small Versafine cubes are the best. I’ve got 12 colors in a really small plastic case. They are so easy to carry in the pocket of my backpack. These inks last forever!

I have found the gumdrop shape to be kind of a pain. The cubes are the best.
Reply to: #981134 by shooz
Nov 15, 2019 7:34pm
Thread
The ranger ink does look nice but its a bit expensive. Hopefully I can try it out at some point though!
Nov 16, 2019 7:04am
Thread
Memento dewdrops- I use these, and can get re-inkers from Stampeaz. I also have their brush pens, and can use the re-inkers on those also.

The ink dries quickly, is not “goopy” or “sticky”, and just leaves a faint residue which blots off easily with a wet paper towel.
Reply to: #981149 by MissMoon
Nov 16, 2019 7:21am
Thread
I use the black Versafine with that flip top also. It’s great. But for colors the small Versafine cubes are the best. I’ve got 12 colors in a really small plastic case. They are so easy to carry in the pocket of my backpack. These inks last forever!

I have found the gumdrop shape to be kind of a pain. The cubes are the best.

Do you know where I could get a set of these for under $30?
Nov 16, 2019 8:47am
Thread
I use the tsukineko memento pads (the dew drop sizes) and LOVE them. They not only last a long time you can also buy re-inker bottles it’s a win win. The colors are vibrant and they dry fast too. I do also carry a full size black and brown in pad. Black because so many boxes call for them and brown because it’s my signature stamp color. I bought a medium size zipper pouch that I Velcro’d the lids of the dew drops to on the top side of the pouch and it’s just thick enough that it holds my full size ink pads too and a pen with plenty of space. If you want to see pics send me your email.
Reply to: #981158 by NeonKraken
Nov 16, 2019 9:05am
Thread
Do you know where I could get a set of these for under $30?

Stampeaz sells them for $2.29 plus shipping, so you could get 10-12 colors for your $30. Plus, she has the fastest shipping and best customer service on the planet.

https://www.stampeaz.com/
Reply to: #981163 by Wise Wanderer
Nov 16, 2019 2:35pm
Thread
I agree completely that the Versafine Cubes are the nicest ink pads in existence.

I do want to ask, I see a lot of boxer's at events using brush pens(?) I haven't ever tried to use them and don't know brand names or anything, but what are peoples opinions on using markers opposed to ink pads.
Reply to: #981202 by AdventurousAcorn
Nov 16, 2019 2:56pm
Thread
but what are peoples opinions on using markers opposed to ink pads.

Personally I don't like markers. But some stamps do lend themselves to the effect you get with markers. Some people are better at getting a good image with markers. And a lot depends on the kind of markers and even the paper you are inking the image on to.

One thing I like about the cube ink pads is that very often you can use them almost like a marker, just use the edge of the pad or a corner. People also like the color wheel for that reason. They use the tip of the pad. I've gotten some good marker type images with the cubes.
Reply to: #981202 by AdventurousAcorn
Nov 16, 2019 3:12pm
Thread
I do want to ask, I see a lot of boxer's at events using brush pens(?) I haven't ever tried to use them and don't know brand names or anything, but what are peoples opinions on using markers opposed to ink pads.

I have both. It depends on the stamp. Some stamps are meant to have multiple colors and small areas which might be easier to ink if you have the control of a brush marker.

Downside of brush markers: not good for larger, solid areas. The ink will dry before you finish inking the other parts of the stamp. Also, buy markers that are specifically made for stamping. I got some regular artist brush markers -Tombow,
and Le Plume-Marvy Memories because I needed a certain color and they dried super quickly - needing a lot of extra huffing to remoisten. I use Memento Dual Markers by Tsukineko.
Reply to: #981213 by JampersandJ
Nov 16, 2019 5:51pm
Thread
Downside of brush markers: not good for larger, solid areas. The ink will dry before you finish inking the other parts of the stamp.

Just huff it.
How to do a Tor
Nov 17, 2019 6:28am
Thread
Has anyone ever written up a clear set of instructions for how to do a tor? I have a rough idea, but struggle when trying to explain it.
Re: How to do a Tor
Reply to: #981236 by nosox
Nov 17, 2019 7:07am
Thread
Easy
Walk into or around a tor
Look in every nook & cranny
Treasure to be found!
Nov 17, 2019 8:07am
Thread
Step one: Head to Dartmoor
Step two: Still don't do a Tor! They are annoying!
😋
Reply to: #981238 by RIclimber
Nov 17, 2019 8:23am
Thread
dont like tors either
Reply to: #981239 by burning feet
Nov 17, 2019 8:30am
Thread
Tors are challenging. Each time we have tried we seem to find the "plants" by accident rather than the clues.
Reply to: #981240 by KatieKat
Nov 17, 2019 11:29am
Thread
Exactly. In my experience, the area is simply torn apart until all (or most) of the stamps are discovered.
Nov 17, 2019 11:51am
Thread
Here's my attempt at explaining tors, trying to also include the basics...

A tor is a rock outcropping or hilly peak.

A tor to a letterboxer is a rock outcropping where there are a bunch of letterboxes and the clue to a box is specified by compass coordinates pointing to landmarks similar to the method used at Dartmoor National Park in England. The minimum number of coordinates & landmarks are two, but it is easier for the finder if more are given and even easier for the finder if the type of hiding place is designated. It is best if the landmarks are unique and distinguishable and it is imperative that the compass reading is accurate.

So a clue could be
CLUE #1
20-degrees to twin tree
270-degrees to corner of rock wall

An easier clue would be
CLUE #2
20-degrees to twin tree
85-degrees to oval boulder
140-degrees to very large stump
270-degrees to corner of rock wall
Under log

HOW TO PLANT A TOR BOX
It’s relatively easy to plant a box at a tor.
1. Find a hidey hole and plant the box.
2. Look for distinguishable landmarks that can be seen from that location (at least two, but three to four make it easier).
3. Accurately site the compass directions for each landmark.

BUT it is more of a challenge when finding tor boxes.

HOW TO FIND A TOR BOX
1. Look for one of the landmarks.
2. Find a location where that landmark can be sighted at exactly that compass reading. Imagine a line going straight between the landmark and your position. Walk along this line (either toward or away from the landmark).
3. While walking along this line stop when you can site another landmark at a given compass reading.
4. If all you are given is compass readings, then you get to be like a geocacher and look in every possible hidey spot in that vicinity. If there are more landmarks, then check those before looking.

As for the reality of doing a tor, those who really spend the time to figure out the proper triangulations may find that it is actually quicker to just look in every hidey hole on the tor. Some letterboxers have been frustrated by the experience of looking for every conceivable hidey hole for a given location (kind of like geocaching). The more clues and landmarks, the less frustrating for the finder.
Reply to: #981247 by roo
Nov 17, 2019 12:03pm
Thread
Roo, thanks for the informative writing. Do boxes in the Tor at Dartmoor typically have logbooks put in containers or camo bags? It sounds like I might have problems finding one but might find something accidentally. I was just wondering if these accidental finds could be identified.
Thanks
Reply to: #981248 by BinoBoxer
Nov 17, 2019 1:11pm
Thread
I've never been to Dartmoor. So those who've actually been there are the best sources of info, but according to legendarydartmoor.co.uk, they use waterproof containers.

From what I understand lots find boxes by just poking around tors.
Reply to: #981251 by roo
Nov 17, 2019 3:59pm
Thread
All of what you state is true at Dartmoor. We did find boxes by the traditional Dartmoor way and by poking around Tors.There are also a few boxes planted by boxers with clues on AQ.
Nov 17, 2019 4:39pm
Thread
Am I the only one who thought it was the internet deep web/proxy browsing? I was aware of the geological formation but definitely thought the internet term first.
Reply to: #981251 by roo
Nov 17, 2019 4:51pm
Thread
lots find boxes by just poking around tors.

I'm not sure I see the appeal of that. To me, a large part of the appeal of letterboxing is following the clues to find something that's hidden. If you're not following clues but just scratching around at random, that wouldn't seem as much fun.
Reply to: #981259 by Kirbert
Nov 17, 2019 6:17pm
Thread
Spending time among the tors is magical, finding boxes in hidey holes just adds to the experience.
Reply to: #981259 by Kirbert
Nov 17, 2019 6:59pm
Thread
Tors are fascinating formations. They are full of crevasses, holes, nooks, small caves, and etc. Should one find themselves with a Dartmoor clue book and other clues in hand boxing around a Tor it’s easy to find yourself poking and looking for a few minutes. Then back to the clues.
Reply to: #981145 by NeonKraken
Nov 18, 2019 6:34am
Thread
Archival inks tend to last longer, they don't fade with time which is great for your log book, also
waterproof is an advantage when a box log book has gotten wet, the signatures won't run or disappear like other inks will (also better for
boxing in the rain :)
Reply to: #981268 by shooz
Nov 19, 2019 5:41am
Thread
I have a mix of ink pads in my kit, since different stamps and paper will react differently to the inks used. The Versafine black is the only black I'll use - great for detailed stamps, and always a clean imprint. I wasn't aware they came in smaller cubes and in colors other than black and red - thank you for the heads up, everyone!

Joann's had a sale on ink pads recently (buy two, get three free) on those little dewdrop multi-packs, so I stocked up on multiple shades. They work nicely, and have a great edge to provide for multi-color stamping.