A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Tools of the Trade

Re: Light & Magnification
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #972616 by Phoenix Rizing
Mar 16, 2019 3:38pm
Thread
I didn’t realize reading glasses came that powerful. Think I’ve only seen up 3+ in stores but much more powerful available online. I think I will try this route and since we already have an Ott Light that takes care of that. Thank you everyone for your thoughts!
Reply to: #972585 by Dawgdok
Mar 16, 2019 8:43pm
Thread
I've bought an OttLite 2-in-1 LED Magnifier Floor Lamp some time ago. This has greatly helped my carving. We purchased it at JoAnn fabric. It's a bit pricey but if you can catch it on sale or find a coupon it helps. I have large hands it definitely helps for better detailing.

https://www.joann.com/ottlite-2-in-1-led-magnifier-floor-and-table-lamp/12398111.html
Reply to: #972587 by Kirbert
Mar 19, 2019 6:26pm
Thread
Since I need a prescription, I actually asked my eye doctor to write a separate prescription for "work glasses", much stronger than my reading prescription but still having my astigmatism correction.

What a great idea! I am going to ask about that.

Thanks,

~Aurora
Apr 3, 2019 4:39am
Thread
I have a table top OTT light with magnifier, which I got at JoAnn's (it's now falling apart......). Unfortunately, it doesn't light up enough for me, so I use a floor OTT lamp for light.

BB
Apr 4, 2019 9:03am
Thread
I have been using the Ottlight ( double necked )
Lamp and magnifier and this is what works well for me.
Good luck ..please let us know if you find something that works better for you!
Michael's
Apr 4, 2019 2:50pm
Holy cow! Just learned that our Michael's closed--no notice. I've even been getting advertising fliers from them. Ours wasn't very good anyway, every time I went there they had discontinued something else. Our Hobby Lobby is much better and we still have a Paper Boutique and JoAnns (which I don't care for except for sewing & yarn).
Apr 5, 2019 6:16am
Thread
I use the Ottlite (the one one that converts between a floor stand and table top. I angle it so my face is only a few cm from the glass. I find there are no focal point issues when I do this as my eyes are already in the center. It is like looking without it, but closer. That clear.
GREEN GREEN, THE CHECKS ARE GREEN
Jun 3, 2019 3:14am
Thread
On the far side of the hill.
GREEN GREEN THE CHECKS ARE BACK
and life is better still !

THANK YOU GGO!
Re: GREEN GREEN, THE CHECKS ARE GREEN
Reply to: #975787 by Grrly Girl
Jun 3, 2019 4:53am
Thread
and there's more information with each listed box, too!!! I didn't realize how much I depended on the Active/Unknown etc. Locations show, too!
Thank you!!!
Jun 3, 2019 5:01am
Thread
Thank you, thank you. Life will be easier again with green checks.
Reply to: #975797 by Sagacorn
Jun 3, 2019 7:02am
Thread
Just make sure you roll the dates back otherwise it might indicate there are no plants in a particular logbook.
Jun 3, 2019 11:30am
Thread
Ooh, hadn't been on for a couple of days. So glad to see my old logbook back! THANK YOU.
Magnifying Lamp
Jun 13, 2019 8:11pm
Thread
My lighted magnifying lamp died and I am looking to buy a new one. What do others recommend? The one I have is no longer available.

Sahalie
Re: Magnifying Lamp
Reply to: #976336 by Sahalie
Jun 13, 2019 8:23pm
Thread
I like this one:

SE MC353B 3.5x Table Magnifier Lamp with Fluorescent Light

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OGU87A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Reply to: #976336 by Sahalie
Jun 13, 2019 9:27pm
Thread
Coluzzle knife and cutting mat
Jun 14, 2019 5:57am
Thread
does anyone have an idea where to find these? I can't find my knife and need a new mat. seems the company doesn't make them anymore ;(
Re: Coluzzle knife and cutting mat
Reply to: #976346 by condo
Jun 14, 2019 9:00am
Thread
I just saw a used “in good condition” knife and mat on EBay - don’t know if it is what you’re looking for...
Re: Coluzzle knife and cutting mat
Reply to: #976350 by JampersandJ
Jun 14, 2019 9:03am
Thread
Thanks, I will check it out.
Reply to: #976338 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jun 14, 2019 12:03pm
Thread
Seconding this. I have this one too, I can’t say enough good about it.
I love my REI Camp stool
Jul 5, 2019 10:18am
Thread
Getting older (how did that happen?) so getting up is harder when there is no bench or convenient boulder to sit on when stamping in. So my REI Co-op Trail Stool Item #765283 $22.50 is so great. Easy to carry and lightweight. Sometimes I use it has a table. I never leave home without it.
Re: I love my REI Camp stool
Reply to: #976979 by KatieKat
Jul 5, 2019 10:41am
Thread
Good idea!
Jul 5, 2019 11:40am
Thread
Me too! I have been doing the exact same thing. It really makes a difference.
Jul 5, 2019 12:06pm
Thread
My DH gave me one of these as a gift a couple years ago--I love it ! It's so nice to always have a clean, dry place to sit when I stamp in.
Jul 5, 2019 12:52pm
Thread
yep, I got a Bagobago pack/builtin-stool as part of my standard boxing repertoire.
It works great, converts to a cushioned stool in less than a second.
But it is a bit pricey (got it as a present)...
Jul 5, 2019 10:03pm
Thread
I bought a TravelChair Slacker a few years ago, and it has been wonderful to have on the trail. Being able to sit to stamp in is wonderful. I'm sure the REI one is great too - I would just recommend to folks interested in buying one to get a brand name chair and pay the few extra dollars. That should buy you reinforced seams and better components. I started out with a cheap version I bought at a big box store and the corners ripped out after a few months - not worth it - plus, it was actually kind of dangerous because it gave way suddenly. And when you look for stools or chairs, make sure to find one with wide, flat feet to help distribute weight and keep things stable. Wide feet will also keep you from sinking into soft ground.
Jul 6, 2019 5:40am
Thread
So my REI Co-op Trail Stool Item #765283 $22.50 is so great. Easy to carry and lightweight.

Oh, good to know. I just inherited one from my father, yesterday! Now I'm really looking forward to cleaning it up and putting it to good use. :)
Reply to: #976998 by Origami Hen
Jul 7, 2019 8:11am
Thread
What a great idea! Never thought of carrying a stool when going out for the letter boxes
question about craft area
Jul 8, 2019 6:47am
Thread
AQ members, Which do you find is better. Building a craft room/area or organizing a craft closet?
Re: question about craft area
Reply to: #977073 by Tri-Colored Paws
Jul 8, 2019 7:15am
Thread
I have a craft cupboard and desk in a general purpose room. I end up carrying supplies from that location to the dining room table. I'd prefer to 'take over' the dining room, but probably shouldn't ~
Set it up however you prefer to work, and take as much space as you can because it's difficult to expand into more space later.
Re: question about craft area
Reply to: #977073 by Tri-Colored Paws
Jul 8, 2019 7:20am
Thread
My craft room also serves as:
*TV room
*dining area
*project area
*office
*craft/art studio

...more of a utility room! My favorite room of the house. I have an electric fireplace and Turtle aquarium in that room too! I think I could live in an open studio or warehouse setting. Just need a fridge but it helps to have to get up and walk around. There are two closets in the craft room too.

I talked my sister into turning her dining room into a craft room. Create spaces that will be used.