A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Tools of the Trade

Re: New Stamping Tool
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #970405 by Nature Hikers
Jan 17, 2019 8:20pm
Thread
I see that even with the steamroller there were still some places that didn't print.
Jan 17, 2019 8:42pm
Thread
I think I’ll use that with my next twinchies!

👍

Overkill?
Jan 18, 2019 7:25am
Thread
Ooooo! That would be fun.

A link in the comments https://youtu.be/u_lhccrX5dA is pretty cool. I wonder what transfer method they used lol, and how much would that tracker postage be!?
Reply to: #970413 by Trishee
Jan 18, 2019 8:02am
Thread
That is one ***HUGE*** piece of linoleum! Not that I want to get that much carving material, but where would one get a piece that large?

Did you also notice that he inked it up in segments? And the press is necessary for that large of a stamp; or you could use a steamroller.
Reply to: #970415 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 18, 2019 9:42am
Thread
... the press is necessary for that large of a stamp ...

http://linocutboy.com/giant-whale-linocut-live-printing-at-london-illustration-fair-2017/

In the blog post above, the artist mentions reprinting that same whale stamp using a wooden spoon. (Apparently it was too big for his press)

It took him 4 hours.
Jan 18, 2019 2:26pm
Thread
The artist must be a great customer to his supplier!

I have to say, I was enjoying the sound of that roller applying the ink. Very soothing.
Jan 19, 2019 8:56am
Thread
Home Depot?
Reply to: #970438 by KnottyKnitterDirtMonkey
Jan 19, 2019 9:45am
Thread
Home Depot?

The linoleum that I've seen at home stores isn't thick enough to consider carving. Nevertheless, they may have thicker stuff. I'll have to look next time I'm in such a store.
Re: Flexcut 45 Deg. x 1MM Parting Tool vs Speedball #1
Reply to: #942720 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jan 22, 2019 3:13pm
Thread
FYI, the picture links are all broken...
Reply to: #970577 by Phoenix Rizing
Jan 22, 2019 4:46pm
Thread

Remove the "lg" at the end of the URL. The large version gets deleted after a few weeks/months.

Maybe our webmaster can think of a way to forward links to the small version? Not a big deal, but would be helpful.
Reply to: #970577 by Phoenix Rizing
Jan 22, 2019 5:53pm
Thread

The system breaks the links after a couple of months. You can find them in my photo album, pics 9 - 13:

https://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.php?albumId=4518
Reply to: #970440 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 22, 2019 7:01pm
Thread
I was kidding. I can't think of where you might get linoleum that big other than for home flooring... :D
Jan 25, 2019 10:42am
Thread
That is one ***HUGE*** piece of linoleum! Not that I want to get that much carving material, but where would one get a piece that large?

I could get you a piece of Tan-Z Kut that's 4' x 60', if you'd like.

In the meantime, if you want to go just a little bit large, I currently have a garage full of 12" x 54" sheets. Shipping it might be a challenge, though! :)

Webfoot
Reply to: #970664 by Webfoot
Jan 25, 2019 5:39pm
Thread
We now know where to get such a large piece of carving material. Who wants to volunteer to carve that big though?

I know it runs against convention, but I'm going to start a new thread to discuss this question.
Reply to: #970667 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 25, 2019 7:51pm
Thread
I participated in a progressive carve postal about a bazillion years ago. One big piece of carving material, first person starts the image, the next person adds theirs, and so on. We all got a copy of the finished stamp when it reached the end. Fun project.

Warrior Woman
waxing nostalgic
Neuland Art Markers - Excellent for Stamping!!
Feb 1, 2019 7:52pm
Thread
At the recent LLBean event (which was AWESOME - thank you Teacup and Mud and the rest of the organizers!!), several people noticed my markers and asked where I got them. If you were one of those people, the markers are Neuland Art Markers with the brush tip, and you can buy them at https://us.neuland.com

They are made in Germany, and they are absolutely terrific for stamping. Why, you ask?

1. The large brush nib allows you to both color very small details precisely (by using the very tip) and ink up large areas quickly (by using the flat side of the nib) using the same marker

2. The bright and vibrant marker inks are water-based and do not bleed through paper (and have no chemical smell)

3. You can buy refill ink, which allows you to refill your marker 22 times (!) - great for the environment!

4. You can buy replacement nibs, so if yours get disfigured or discolored, you can just replace them

Any downsides? Well, the big one is cost. Each marker is a little over $3.00 and the replacement ink refills are about $8.50. And you have to pay shipping from Germany, which starts at almost $20. (No sales tax though, so that's a small plus.)

Still, I LOVE these markers, and I think these are worth the investment if you're in the market for quality, long-lasting markers for stamping.
Re: Neuland Art Markers - Excellent for Stamping!!
Reply to: #970959 by Origami Hen
Feb 1, 2019 9:07pm
Thread
They looked awesome! I saw them with a group of about 6 people... every time someone took off one of the caps to look at them, they exclaimed "OOOOOOUUUUHHHH!!!!!!" (me included!)
Feb 2, 2019 3:48am
Thread
Thank you for sharing, Origami Hen! My birthday is coming up, so these might be at the top of the list.
Feb 2, 2019 8:43am
Thread
How do they stamp compared to ink pads? The main reason I avoid using markers is that I'm often disappointed in how the ink stamps compare to a high quality ink pad. Markers tend to either bleed or be washy or be splotchy, and I've had some pretty pricey sets.
Speedy-Carve 2007
Feb 2, 2019 7:04pm
Thread
I scored a sheet of 2007 Speedy-Carve at Blick today. I hope it is firmer than the 2016 stuff I've been using. My last 2009 was really nice. Picture: https://www.atlasquest.com/images/gallery/14/60/146031lg.jpg
Reply to: #970973 by Trailhead Tessie
Feb 2, 2019 7:57pm
Thread
For any stamp that can take a stamp pad, I would use a stamp pad. I don't think any marker can beat a quality stamp pad. But for stamps which require detailed coloring that can't be done with a stamp pad, these markers are awesome. They bleed less than any other marker I've used.
Feb 2, 2019 7:59pm
Thread
Addendum: The Neuland website is a little clunky, so to get to the Neuland One Art Marker (brush nib) directly, use this link:

https://us.neuland.com/markers-more/neuland-markers/neuland-no.one-art-brush-nib-0.5-7-mm-single-colours.html?c=740

Then you can pick individual marker colors using the drop down menu.
Re: Speedy-Carve 2007
Reply to: #970992 by TheKindlyVikings
Feb 2, 2019 8:21pm
Thread
Hi, umm I really hate to be the bearer of bad news ...

I’m with the Speedy-Carve police. The 2007 batch has been officially deemed unworthy. Sorry but I’m going to have to confiscate that piece. 😄

Seriously though, congrats on that score!
Re: Speedy-Carve 2007
Reply to: #970992 by TheKindlyVikings
Feb 3, 2019 10:38pm
Thread
Nice!!

I would love to carve on the older pink. I miss it almost as much as I miss PZ Orange... sigh...

Lynn
Reply to: #970967 by Angel Winks
Feb 10, 2019 6:28am
Thread
The Neuland Art Markers look and sound great, but at $3.00 each it would cost me around $60 to replace my older markers (plus shipping?). I know this has been asked often, but new products appear from time to time. So, what are the current favorites in markers?
Seeking Logbooks
Feb 15, 2019 2:37pm
Thread
Years ago, someone made me some logbooks that I very much liked. They were about 2.5"x3.5", they had a light tan cover, they closed like a matchbox but were thicker, and they were sewn together not far from the base.

Was that you, or do you know who it might have been?

On another note, in case I cannot find this person, does anybody have any nicely made logbooks that you would like to give away or sell?
Re: Seeking Logbooks
Reply to: #971497 by RDHG
Feb 15, 2019 4:02pm
Thread
I know how to make matchbook logbooks, but I doubt I'm the person you're remembering.

In any case, here's a link so you can make your own. I learned from this blog:

http://campfireladycreates.blogspot.com/2009/03/matchbook-logbook.html

You need a package of blank 3x5 file cards, some card stock for the cover (which is one piece that wraps around the pages), and thread & needle. I use embroidery floss and a blunt tapestry needle. The last thing you need is an awl to poke the holes through everything, and a couple of binder clamps to hold the pages still while you're boring the holes.

18 file cards cut in half make a 36 page book 2.5"x3", and that's about a quarter inch thick - just about as many pages as I can handle, so make the first one with fewer pages.
Feb 16, 2019 8:54am
Thread
do you know who it might have been?

You have no idea who made the logbooks for you?
Reply to: #971565 by MissMoon
Feb 16, 2019 9:04am
Thread
No. I do not remember. It has been about five years.
Feb 16, 2019 8:18pm
Thread
I think Colorful Caterpillars makes/sells them. Or used to. I've seen her selling them at events.