Jul 3, 2014 7:28am
Thread
Thank you :)
Re: New and improved speedball #1
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #854432 by Aiphid
Jul 4, 2014 10:34am
Thread
Wow, I'm an idiot. I just found an unopened pack of new and improveds that I got from Webfoot. Oops! Next time I get a chance, I'll open them and play.
Ink
Jul 6, 2014 5:02pm
Thread
So I love versafine inks, however, I carved a stamp with fine lines and they seem to pool ink in them. Any suggestions.

Btw- even tried with new and old pad.
Re: Ink
Reply to: #856548 by S and D
Jul 6, 2014 5:48pm
Thread
Never had that problem.
Reply to: #856562 by MissMoon
Jul 6, 2014 6:40pm
Thread
My older pad works good, but was dark in a few cuts, I made them deeper and now great, the new pad is just soupy. I have never came across this before, but thought I would ask.
Reply to: #856569 by S and D
Jul 6, 2014 8:21pm
Thread
I only have that problem with the cheap pads sold at stationary/office supply stores. Never with Versafine.
Reply to: #856548 by S and D
Jul 7, 2014 3:11am
Thread
The ink is pooling in the stamp, or on the image? Maybe it is just a bit overfilled? My new versafine pads seem a bit juicy, too, but I haven't really had much trouble. Try blotting the inkpad?

Sometimes I have to tap around on the pad to distribute the ink throughout the pad.

Also, for a lighter inking, swipe across the pad instead of tamping on the pad.
Reply to: #856615 by FloridaFour
Jul 7, 2014 5:28am
Thread
Thanks for the advice! I literally stamped a paper towel twice. Problem fixed. I think it was just too juicy, never had that problem with this brand. Maybe just a fluke.
Reply to: #856620 by S and D
Jul 7, 2014 6:41am
Thread
Strangely enough, I had the same trouble tonight. However, I figured out it was a combo of 3 things.

1. Postcard I stamped on is coated, and hard to accept ink.
2. I used OZ cut on that stamp, my pink stuff stamps inked fine. (OZ is less accepting of ink).
3. Versafine has oil in it, which makes it dry a bit more slowly.

I blotted with paler towel, stamped very firmly, blotted the card, and that helped. It still will have to dry for a while, and I will probably heat set it. This is due to the postcard surface, though.
Reply to: #856625 by FloridaFour
Jul 7, 2014 6:54am
Thread
I use using OZ cut too, strange. Either way, taking some ink out helped greatly and now it is usable. Thanks. Good to know that about OZ. I did do a really good acetone wash does that help?
Reply to: #856627 by S and D
Jul 7, 2014 7:04am
Thread
I think it does help. I did an acetone wash, but this combo of problems was a new one for me tonight.
Reply to: #856627 by S and D
Jul 7, 2014 8:21am
Thread
I don't think an acetone wash does anything to OZ. I think the stuff is impervious to that particular solvent. I've been using 150-grit sandpaper on OZ before carving, just enough to take the sheen off the surface.
Reply to: #856655 by Kirbert
Jul 7, 2014 8:38am
Thread
I don't think an acetone wash does anything to OZ.

Think again.
Reply to: #856655 by Kirbert
Jul 7, 2014 8:58am
Thread
Yes, acetone CAN do something to OZ, so be careful. What it can do is make what had been a good stamp into something that absolutely refuses marker ink. It was very distressing, and basically ruined the stamp. Coloring over each part with sharpie helped a little. It was a stamp that had to be colored in order to produce the image, so I couldn't just stamp it in Stazon or color it with black sharpie after I'd messed it up. Some colors were worse than others, too. Very weird, and nothing I'd ever seen happen before. And before you ask, yes, it was fine before I did the acetone scrub.
Modified Nib
Jul 8, 2014 1:43pm
Thread
Hello, I have been out of the Letterboxing and carving scene for a while. When I was carving a lot there was a gentleman who filed a nib backwards so the base of the v was the first part to cut. I really enjoyed working with these, but mine is now broken and rusty. My husband was not able to recreate it, but I was hoping someone was still selling them or there was a tutorial to do it yourself. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Moon Flowers
Re: Modified Nib
Reply to: #856868 by Moon Flowers
Jul 8, 2014 2:28pm
Thread
I would be interested in the reserve tip as well!
Reply to: #856869 by Raven
Jul 8, 2014 3:22pm
Thread
For clarity: I will either reverse or miniaturize gouges, but I won't pinch them. As I understand it, Knottyknitterdirtmonkey will pinch or pinch-and-miniaturize, but AFAIK won't just miniaturize or reverse.
Reply to: #856883 by Kirbert
Jul 9, 2014 9:35am
Thread
I will either reverse or miniaturize gouges, but I won't pinch them

What does reversing or miniaturizing them mean? I'm intrigued and looking for new nib. I currently use a 0 which I think is a pinched #1 but not sure.
Reply to: #856978 by Sweet n Sassy
Jul 9, 2014 10:04am
Thread
Reversing means to regrind the tip so that the cutting edge leans backward toward the handle rather than forward out over the work. Miniaturizing means cutting down the entire tip so it's about half the size of the original tip, but otherwise still the same basic configuration. Neither of these mods changes the angle between the sides of the V, which is what pinching does.

BTW, besides reversing and miniaturizing, I also offer the "K mod", in which one side is reversed while the other remains leaning forward. While that sounds like just a hybrid between reversed and regular, it's really an entirely different tool. The result is a gouge that is used primarily to cut with the side rather than the bottom of the V. You just follow a line in the image with the leading edge and let the trailing edge follow as it will.
WAY better . . .
Jul 14, 2014 4:18pm
. . . than camo spray-painted boxes . . . this could be the ultimate in making boxes invisible in the wild!! Unfortunately, it would likely have the same invisibility to both muggles and legit LB'ers.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/57807/vantablack-new-material-so-dark-you-cant-see-it
Letterboxing Bag Suggestions?
Jul 15, 2014 3:50pm
Thread
I need a dedicated letterboxing bag. I am improvising for now; but, a bag that always has my logbook and trail inks, pens, baggies, etc is a must. Here's what I need.

-Backpack, light weight with two shoulder straps (not the sling kind with only one strap)
-Outer water bottle pouch
-Waterproof
-At least two Zippered compartments
-Comfortable to carry (have back problems that I need to be careful of)

I am eying a North Face Day pack and plan to use this bag for several years, so I am not worried about price so much as quality. Any suggestions?
Re: Letterboxing Bag Suggestions?
Reply to: #858365 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Jul 15, 2014 3:59pm
Thread
I don't know hiking packs, but I have diaper bag back pack. doesn't look like a diaper bag. has two exterior pockets, one is insulated. and two major pockets for the rest of the bag. smaller than a regular pack. limitation may or may not be the size of your log book. any way. you might check out the baby dept and see what they have.
Jul 15, 2014 4:24pm
Thread
I use a non-brand hydration pack that has enough room for two liters of water (half a gallon - with a bite valve and hose to drink from), my sketchbook log, bags, stamps, stamp pads, pens & markers, a knife, compass, snacks, and various cool rocks I pick up along the trail. It isn't waterproof, but so far my log hasn't gotten wet.

I like the hydration pack because it holds a lot more water than most water bottles, but it can be a pain to keep clean. I almost always forget to empty and dry it when I get home. Even though my whole family has their own bags, I usually end up sharing most of my water with them after they finish theirs off. I guess I hold my water better than them. ;)

-TheKindlyVikings
Reply to: #858372 by TheKindlyVikings
Jul 15, 2014 4:45pm
Thread
I have a question about the hydration pack. Can you refill it at a water fountain if need be? I have been thinking about looking at them as an option; but, I have never used one before.
Reply to: #858374 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Jul 15, 2014 5:09pm
Thread
yes you can fill them there. there are different styles. the one I use for running I really like because it is easy to clean. it has a slide closure which opens the entire top. you can turn it completely inside out to clean and dry. the hose has a quick disconnect, also easier for cleaning. since I often put non-water in my reservoir these are nice features.

my running pack is only 1 liter. I also have a 2 liter hiking pack but find it cumbersome for a do it all pack esp having to take it on and off all the time. my mo this days is the running vest with the one liter and a small messenger style for my logbook and inks. easier access.
Jul 15, 2014 8:48pm
Thread
I got an el-cheapo from Wal-Mart that is surprisingly good. Plusses: the water pouch is separate from the rest of the pack (a must!) and is padded. This provides insulation so the water stays cool and protects the contents should you spring a leak. The water reservoir has a quick-release on the bottom of the bag that lets you take off the tubing, but keeps the water inside. One large compartment comes next, moving outward from your back, then a smaller compartment with other small pockets inside for compass, etc. Two mesh side pockets can hold water bottles or extra junk -- I use them for sunscreen & bugspray. It has a waist strap, which also a must. The only thing I don't like: the straps are not separately attached to the backpack but are connected at the top, if that makes sense. Since I'm short, if I tighten the straps too much (which I don't, but still) it crams into my neck. Also, the waist strap is thin and unpadded. This hasn't bothered me yet, though. It also has a soft-lined pouch for sunglasses. Here it is. I just took this picture today, oddly enough. The loop you see at the top with the toggle slide (?) and big loop at the bottom is for your walking stick. The brand is Outdoor. I paid about $30 for it. It looks better with patches, yes? :) I recommend getting the ergonomic on/off adapter and adding it to the bite valve it comes with so you can shut off the water. I was always plunking my pack down on the bite valve and releasing water all over my car. They sell those there, too.

It holds a ridiculous amount of stuff in a small profile, including what I'm going to admit to actually carrying around: two sets of markers in a large bag, four 1.5 inch plastic storage boxes loaded with Dewdrop ink pads, my logbook, a small first aid kit, compass, wetwipes, plastic baggies/logbooks/paper towels, sunglasses, bug spray, 2 liters of water, chocolate, er healthy trail mix, a couple boxes for planting, a poncho, a drysack for my logbook, and often my camera. . . still room in there, too.
Jul 16, 2014 12:15am
Thread
A fishing vest will work! Lots of pockets and pouches!
Reply to: #858421 by Wry Me
Jul 16, 2014 2:42am
Thread
I got an el-cheapo from Wal-Mart that is surprisingly good.

Funny, I bought that exact same version from Wal-Mart, brought it home and wore it around for about a half hour and returned it. I found it to be very uncomfortable, it felt like it was crawling up my neck. I am also looking for a new perfect backpack. My needs include a chest strap and a waist strap because the pressure of the backpack pulling on my shoulders without those two straps causes migraines. I currently use a camelbak without the bladder which is comfortable but it is way too small for all my trail needs.

For urban boxing, I have been using a diaper bag messenger style bag for almost ten years. It works great.
Jul 16, 2014 2:51am
Thread
Hey Now, Shark Boy and Lava Girl!

Your best bet to find a bag that is comfortable for you and your back, and carries all your supplies is to shop for a bag the way you should shop for a backpack.

First, find a store with a good choice. In my area, I would look a an outdoor store: EMS, REI, Cabela's. Or a local outfitter, if you have one.

Second, at the store, find the packs that have the features you are looking for:
Frame/frameless, hipbelt, water bottle and/or water bladder pockets, et c. (FWIW, I stay hydrated better with a bladder--so much easier to get a drink!)

Third, bring your 'boxing supplies to the store and see which pack(s) they fit into comfortably, then try the loaded pack(s) on your back and walk around a bit. Comfortable? Something poking you in the back somewhere thru the fabric? Too tight/loose/long/short?

BTW, no pack is 100% waterproof. When it rains hard enough, water WILL find it's way into any pack. Use a compactor or heavy duty trash bag as a pack liner. I go further, and put important stuff in ziplock bags, too.

Good luck in your search,
Connfederate
Reply to: #858421 by Wry Me
Jul 16, 2014 4:10am
Thread
Great minds think alike! You and I carry almost the exact same list. My bag is similar in style to yours but is by Mountain Hardware. I like the fit and find it comfortable. I did what Confederate suggested and used a local Outfitter, tried on several with my letterboxing gear loaded in it.