A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Tools of the Trade

Re: Carving Material
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #188571 by BigRedOne
Feb 20, 2008 10:12am
Thread
Quote ...sorry to hear that you work for the single corporation in America that is to blame for the fattening of American Youths...

When it comes to fattening children, the actions of any single corporation in America pale in comparison to the actions of the FDA!
Re: Carving Material
Reply to: #188656 by Kirbert
Feb 20, 2008 10:26am
Thread
Happy Cake day Kirbert =o)

Cheers!
Rhea
GPS question...
Feb 20, 2008 12:03pm
Thread
Ok so this may not really be the place to post this, but I consider my GPS a tool for LBing.

We're thinking about 'upgrading' our GPS, the one we have is good, but I think we need one that works a bit better for us.

So my question for you is what GPS unit would you recommend? We're not looking for the handheld type, but the type that goes in your vehicle.

Thanks
Kelseys Kreations
Re: GPS question...
Reply to: #188700 by Kelseys Kreations
Feb 20, 2008 1:47pm
Thread
We have a Garmin Nuvi 650 that we really like, but have only had for a few months. It would work for both handheld and mounting in the car. We haven't gotten a chance to use it for letterboxing, but there is an extensive listing of the local parks built in. It does have voice directions. One of the most useful things we have found is the option of finding restaurants close to where you are right now. Another useful feature is that if you hit a problem in traffic, there is a detour button that will find you a way around the spot. You do not need a subscription, but can purchase maps of other countries and updates. A subscription is needed for traffic reports. We got it at Costco with a large coupon in November, but the coupon comes out regularly. There is a 660 also that has Bluetooth options, by the way.

Sameera
Reply to: #188741 by Keystone Khans
Feb 20, 2008 1:58pm
Thread
I second the Garmin Nuvi recommendation. I love the ease of entering addresses and also the built in restaurants, parks, etc.

I have the 660 with the bluetooth...but I'm not convinced that the bluetooth option is worth the additional money. People on the other end of a phone call claimed that I sounded funny (so much so that they couldn't follow what I was saying). Also, the speakers are on the back of it, while the mic is on the front, so it was difficult for me to hear the other person (especially while I was also hearing road noise). Maybe others have a higher opinion of the bluetooth capabilities though.

Aside from the bluetooth, I really love the Nuvi.
Reply to: #188741 by Keystone Khans
Feb 20, 2008 2:33pm
Thread
We have "Rhonda" (help me, Rhonda. Help, help me, Rhonda...) who is a Navigon 2100. We got a tremendous deal on it/her at Christmas at Staples. Absolutely love it---but we can't enter coordinates. Thus, Rhonda letterboxes but does not geocache.
Reply to: #188757 by typengrype
Feb 20, 2008 3:19pm
Thread
Quote ...a Navigon 2100. We got a tremendous deal on it/her at Christmas at Staples. Absolutely love it---but we can't enter coordinates. Thus, Rhonda letterboxes but does not geocache.

People have completely different ideas of what a GPS system is. Those of us who geocache consider a GPS receiver to be a device that will lead you to coordinates. But people who use "GPS-enabled cell phones" apparently cannot enter coordinates or anything else for that matter. What they do is ask "where is the nearest pizza place?" and the phone tells them which direction to go.

My stepmother wanted my advice buying a GPS for her car since some of her friends told her how nice they are. I opted out of that particular task, since I really have no idea about the things she's looking for -- voice activation, "where's the nearest pizza place?", etc. My brother, much more of a techno-geek than I, was better at figuring out what she needed.

I met a guy with a Palm handheld whatchamacallit, and he had a GPS accessory that plugged into it. Besides the cost of the Palm itself, the GPS accessory was a coupla hundred bucks and the software to run it was another coupla hundred bucks -- and you couldn't enter GPS coordinates. You could enter a street address, but no GPS coordinates.

These things really irk me. Why would you ever build a GPS receiver in which you couldn't enter coordinates? Every one of these things has a number pad! If it's voice-activated, you should be able to speak the coordinates! GPS systems all use coordinates, so why can't you enter them?
Reply to: #188700 by Kelseys Kreations
Feb 20, 2008 3:28pm
Thread
"what GPS unit would you recommend?"

I just bought a TomTom at Wal-Mart for $168. Take a look at it! It will direct me to any address, cross-roads, etc. and takes the stress off looking for turns while driving to boxing hunts, will map trips, locate points of interest (gas stations, libraries, motels, etc.).
Reply to: #188779 by R
Feb 20, 2008 4:13pm
Thread
Hi,

I own a Magellan Roadmate 2200t and love it!!!! We use it everywhere. Letterboxing and Geocashing(only one box) and anytime we are driving to an unknown place. We can hook it up the computer to enter coordinates. After we got this one my mom bought one too. We named ours Ellie and she is never wrong!!

Yellsalot
Reply to: #188757 by typengrype
Feb 20, 2008 5:20pm
Thread
We have "Rhonda" (help me, Rhonda. Help, help me, Rhonda...) who is a Navigon 2100.

OMG I nearly spit my soda out when I read this (must remember not to be drinking when reading the boards)...why? you ask...because my name is Ronda (ok so I have no 'h' and this post did, but that's a normal 'mistake' I get :)) , so I was like "OMG I don't remember signing my name to my post & I don't recall being in any postals or anything with this person" LOL then after continuing past the singing, I saw that you named your GPS unit Rhonda LOL

Kelseys Kreations
Reply to: #188770 by Kirbert
Feb 20, 2008 6:32pm
Thread
Quote People have completely different ideas of what a GPS system is. Those of us who geocache...

I should have mentioned, we also have a Magellan eXplorist 200---we appreciate the difference and enjoy both of them. :-)
Re: Yet Another Lock&Lock Knockoff
Reply to: #185951 by Kirbert
Feb 22, 2008 8:38am
Thread
Since we recently had the biggest rainstorm of the past couple of years, my test of the "Daniel Brand" L&L Knockoff is complete. For review, you can look at the pic:

http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.html?gAlbumId=758

The good news: It passed. Perfectly dry inside. Immediately after purchase, I filled this container with water, closed it up, and held it by the base and shook it, and managed to get a few drops of water weeping out of it. I had suspected, though, that my shaking was too violent and too severe a test. I'm not entirely sure a genuine L&L would pass it; never tried it. The fact that this same container, set upside down outdoors in a real gullywasher, managed to keep the contents dry, confirmed my suspicions.

To be clear, I don't consider this container as good as a genuine Lock&Lock. With its softer gasket, I'd have more confidence in the L&L. But for those hesitant about $pending up for the genuine L&L, at $1 each and in a very nice size (larger than the smallest rectangular L&L) I'd consider these things superior to any Ziploc, Gladware, or Rubbermaid container for letterbox use.
Reply to: #189361 by Kirbert
Feb 22, 2008 9:28am
Thread
To be clear, I don't consider this container as good as a genuine Lock&Lock. With its softer gasket, I'd have more confidence in the L&L. But for those hesitant about $pending up for the genuine L&L, at $1 each and in a very nice size (larger than the smallest rectangular L&L) I'd consider these things superior to any Ziploc, Gladware, or Rubbermaid container for letterbox use.

Where did you get them?

3H
Reply to: #189384 by Three Hearts
Feb 22, 2008 11:23am
Thread
Quote Where did you get them?

I thought I made that clear in the photo album. The name of the store is Common Cents, with a cent symbol for both C's. It's in Quincy, FL. They have a coupla hundred of these things on the shelf.
Reply to: #189448 by Kirbert
Feb 22, 2008 1:03pm
Thread
I thought I made that clear in the photo album. The name of the store is Common Cents, with a cent symbol for both C's. It's in Quincy, FL. They have a coupla hundred of these things on the shelf.

I'm sure it would have been clear had I opened the picture beyond just opening the link.

Off to find out if this is a chain. Never heard of the place.

3H
Reply to: #189520 by Three Hearts
Feb 22, 2008 1:08pm
Thread
Quote Off to find out if this is a chain. Never heard of the place.

Good luck! Meanwhile, it might be more productive to search for the product than the retailer. Surely this isn't the only store in the country that carries this thing.
Re: Baggies vs Boxes
Reply to: #188590 by Sits N Knits
Feb 23, 2008 8:22pm
Thread
serious lead poisoning is an understatement...KoTL04 is well known for her PB Jars...to the point that the cubs found one and "knew" it was her box...but Mama Wolf knew it wasn't...and she was right...KoTL04 has also been reprimanded for not using PB Jars recently...so she has switched back to them...I have planted PB Jars in the GREAT WHITE NORTH that is still in existence...see under the boardwalk by KoTL04...and I think the gasket seal is the way to go...thanks Kirbert...
yes I am State side...I don't want no more of Iraq...unfortunately I am flying all over the country for my new Job...
Be Safe...
BR1
Photoshop
Feb 26, 2008 9:11am
Thread
Somewhere on here are step by step instructions for taking a color photo and creating a black and white outline. Help!!

Florida Sunsets
Re: Photoshop
Reply to: #190748 by Redefining Normal
Feb 26, 2008 9:18am
Thread
I use Publisher for this but try Charlie of theseekers1108 cool site:

http://www.dumpr.net/sketch.php

C
TCC
Feb 26, 2008 9:20am
Thread
http://www.designedlykristi.com/tutorials/photo_prep/index.html

from the Toolbox/Link Directory pages ~
http://www.atlasquest.com/toolbox/linkdir/

I use this technique and like the results.

Maude
Feb 26, 2008 9:32am
Thread
Let us know if none of the suggestions above have the info for which you are looking and we will type out directions. Thought we had some here but cannot put our fingers on them just now.

T of T-N-T
Reply to: #190753 by TRH N T
Feb 26, 2008 9:44am
Thread
You know, I use Photoshop a lot, but I've found that Kodak Easyshare, which is a free download, is much easier for doing this. I just upload the picture to Easyshare and click on Fun, then, Coloring Book.

Saves a lot of steps!

Of course, how it turns out depends on the picture. Some come out with weird lines where there shouldn't be. But, overall, I've been pleased.
Reply to: #190750 by Maude
Feb 26, 2008 9:44am
Thread
Ok, I finally found what I was looking for on the wiki:

http://www.atlasquest.com/aboutlb/wiki/browse.html?gCatId=33#q166

Unfortunately, this technique didn't work very well with the picture I have this time. So, I'm of to try Maude's suggestion. I'm on a carving frenzy today. Anything to keep me out of the Girl Scout Cookies, lol!

Florida Sunsets
Found Lock n locks
Feb 27, 2008 10:30am
Thread
I found 4-1.4 cup lock n locks in Linen and things today. $7.99 for the package. Not cheap but if you are in need......

Larva Lady/ZZ
Re: Found Lock n locks
Reply to: #191101 by Larva Lady-ZZ
Feb 27, 2008 10:36am
Thread
I've also found them at K-Mart! It's the only place I've found the sandwich size as singles. I think they were $2.99.
Feb 27, 2008 10:39am
Thread
Oooo... they're back! Those were the first lock-n-locks I used. The only trouble is they limit the size of your stamps and logbooks.
Feb 27, 2008 10:42am
Thread
Quote 4-1.4 cup lock n locks in Linen and Things today. $7.99 for the package.

4 LnL for $8 is not a bad price.
Feb 27, 2008 10:55am
Thread
At the Hannaford Supermarket here is Saco, ME, there is a large display of LNL's. All different sizes. Not sure what the prices are or how they compare with other locations.

Ray
Happydaze
Reply to: #191111 by Wild Dreams
Feb 27, 2008 1:14pm
Thread
4 LnL for $8 is not a bad price.

Especially if you use the Linen's N Things 20% coupon!
Sharpening
Feb 28, 2008 10:30am
Thread
How often should nibs be sharpened? And, what would be the best way to do that. I have a Dremel -- could I sharpen with that or should I use a file type sharpener?

I can't tell if the nibs for my speedball carving set are becoming dull or if the new pink stuff is a different texture. It just feels different.

Thanks

C
TCC