Re: Carving Material
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #182418 by Funhog
Feb 2, 2008 1:50pm
Thread
[quote: (yuk) Walmart ]

double Yuk

[quote: white vinyl erasers, labeled "high ploymer."]

I just bought some of these. they worked really well. I actually got 3 stamps out of one.
Re: painting boxes
Reply to: #182502 by QueenMother'n'CloudWalker
Feb 2, 2008 2:07pm
Thread
We like to use the cammo tape, too. We haven't tried painting boxes but the tape is quick and easy and is very durable. We, too, think that paint would get scratched off.

7trailwanderers
Reply to: #182502 by QueenMother'n'CloudWalker
Feb 2, 2008 4:30pm
Thread
Quote ...but it seems to me it is not as sturdy and the camo tape.......because it seems to scratch off real easy.

No matter what you do, you can always scratch through paint. The question is whether you just scratch through it or remove a big flake of it. Or worse, whether it all flakes off just sitting there.

When painting plastic, the first thing to do is go over the plastic with fine sandpaper or something abrasive to give it a satin finish instead of glossy. Then spray it with DupliColor Adhesion Promoter followed by the paint only two minutes later. Multiple coats after that accomplish little other than to attain the appearance you're looking for.

When painted in this manner, you can scratch through the paint, but it only results in a scratch. It's still a well-camo'd container.

The tape works fine for a year or two, but then it all dries up and starts peeling off. So really it's all a matter of preference because neither camo method is as durable as I'd like.
Reply to: #182565 by Kirbert
Feb 3, 2008 7:25am
Thread
My 2 cents..........I have used both and will not use tape any more......it only last max 2 years and ...in the south is gets melty and sticky b4 it falls off the next winter!
I use a speciality paint for bonding to plastic Krylon and rustoleum both make one in diff colors....I prefer flat black textured but and dark flat color will do! I have boxes over 2 years out side now with 99.99% of the paint doing it's job ....only a few scratches NO flakes! The paint out last camo tape at least by 2 fold...here in the south! T :)
Re: Carving Material
Reply to: #182519 by Suzy Lou
Feb 3, 2008 7:37am
Thread
Quote I actually got 3 stamps out of one

RUUUUUUN! COOOOOOOTIEEEEEEEEEES!!!!
Reply to: #182565 by Kirbert
Feb 3, 2008 7:47am
Thread
Too much work. I use two coats of Krylon Fusion.

I also affix box identification to the inside of the container and mask the areas where I want it to show through.

*S
Re: Lock & Lock AVAILABLE
Reply to: #182400 by Dixie
Feb 4, 2008 8:58am
Thread
Quote I have never seen an 11 oz

Talk to your rep... they definitely exist. I bought a few over the weekend. It looks like the part # is HPL806.

dave
Baggies vs Boxes
Feb 4, 2008 3:39pm
Thread
Hello, helpful community!
One more in my series of fact-finding questions!
What do you think is better, if you are on a budget: Using a ziplock bag as a "box", or using a small cheap plastic food container (I am thinking like the thin disposable kind, like Glad). Assume both would be camo-painted. Thanks for your thoughts!
McBoxer
Re: Baggies vs Boxes
Reply to: #183282 by McBoxer
Feb 4, 2008 3:45pm
Thread
We use a lot of gladware. They have a small flat round one that is just the right size. They seal good, but aren't very strong. You can't pile rocks on top of them like you can a L&L. We use baggies INSIDE the container.
Feb 4, 2008 3:46pm
Thread
My *opinion* only, and I am not a prolific placer, but the thin disposable food containers don't seem to last long. I frequently find them filled with water, cracked, warped etc.

A trend I am seeing that seems to be working well is covering baggies with camo duct tape. ON the OHio board htey are discussign the successful use of Peanut Butter jars. I was surprised that people are not losing these to critters, but many are reportign these jars to last well over a year, so it might be worth exploring. I'm all for recycling if appropriate!

Mama Stork
Reply to: #183289 by Mama Stork
Feb 4, 2008 3:52pm
Thread
I was surprised that people are not losing these to critters, but many are reportign these jars to last well over a year

The key is to bleach the PB jar several times before camo-painting.

We have had more problems with pill bottles than with the PB jars. We didn't realize that the pill bottles needed to be bleached.

triviadaddy
Reply to: #183294 by J Walkers
Feb 4, 2008 3:58pm
Thread
Oh my gosh! The animals are on drugs. LOL
Reply to: #183297 by zinni
Feb 4, 2008 4:09pm
Thread
Just a thought, not a flame or anything, but if you are going to all the trouble to carve something, make or buy a log book, scout out a place to plant, write clues . . . Why would you want to cheap out on something so important as the container? Plant less, have them last longer. Unless you are planting for the short term, like an event?

I really liked the camo bag idea and made a bunch of them. Now I'm replacing them with Rubbermaid because they didn't hold up. I did a couple of boxes with Glad ware because I liked the size. Now I'm replacing them with Rubbermaid. Rubbermade can be painted and it can be camo'ed and it comes it lots of sizes and you can generally find it at any grocery store.

Lock n Lock is the gold standard. Rubbermade is perfectly acceptable and less expensive. Other containers, like PB jars may work well also. But, take it from a sadder but wiser re-planter, Gladware and camo'ed baggies are not worth the time and money.
Lock & Lock - GOOD NEWS
Feb 4, 2008 4:31pm
Thread
two things here...

today I finally broke through :-D
I am finally able to carry that larger #3 rectangle Lock & Lock and the #2 square for you guys
I don't have the stock yet but my sales rep finally got her manager to ok a price and wholesale shipment to me. I told her I will have an order tomorrow. It should ship to me within the week.

I will be taking pre-orders a bit later on.
The system should be ready to begin orders late tonight.

now...
the second thing...
I promised you a page where you could compare Lock & Lock sizes, item numbers etc.
hope it helps... and please email me with any questions
Re: Lock & Lock AVAILABLE
Reply to: #183069 by Fish Below The Ice
Feb 4, 2008 4:45pm
Thread
They have the HPL806C which has the little trays inside.
but that is all i can find or have ever seen.
the same size without the trays is not even on the Excel sheet the rep has with product codes etc on it.
confusing sometimes how availability can change depending on who I speak with
Locking Containers
Feb 4, 2008 4:50pm
Thread
We just got the LTD Commodities Catalog in the mail today. Inside I found these:

http://www.ltdcommodities.com/home/catalog/cat_item_pg3.asp?G=556&P=86&Rec=16&N=37+461&Nao=0&R=745

Pretty good price, better than Ocean State Job Lot. Not sure of the quality though.
Reply to: #183289 by Mama Stork
Feb 4, 2008 4:59pm
Thread
Quote My *opinion* only, and I am not a prolific placer, but the thin disposable food containers don't seem to last long. I frequently find them filled with water, cracked, warped etc.

This is just one datapoint but I recently checked on one of my boxes that was placed 4.5 years ago with a disposable Gladware sandwich sized box and it was dry as a bone inside in and this is in the rainy Pacific Northwest.

I wouldn't recommend Gladware if you need to pile rocks on top or it will be wedged into a tight location.
Feb 4, 2008 5:01pm
Thread
Quote What do you think is better, if you are on a budget: Using a ziplock bag as a "box", or using a small cheap plastic food container (I am thinking like the thin disposable kind, like Glad).

Don't use the ziplock, period. It will not hold up unprotected.

The Gladware containers will hold up for a while if you're planting in a hospitable climate, but they'll crack if frozen. Even if they stay warm, they are not watertight, so you'll need to carefully bag all the contents to protect them from the moisture that will collect inside the Gladware.

You'd be better off using a peanut butter jar than either of these, especially if you install a shower pan liner gasket under the cap.
Reply to: #183294 by J Walkers
Feb 4, 2008 5:05pm
Thread
Quote I was surprised that people are not losing these to critters, but many are reportign these jars to last well over a year

The key is to bleach the PB jar several times before camo-painting.

I haven't bleached one yet. The key is to install a shower pan liner gasket in the lid. If there are any odors inside, they won't get outside, so the critters won't be able to smell them.

Also, reportedly the camo paint acts as a critter repellant. Apparently it tastes bad when chewed.
Reply to: #183303 by judithandsparky
Feb 4, 2008 5:11pm
Thread
Quote I really liked the camo bag idea and made a bunch of them. Now I'm replacing them with Rubbermaid because they didn't hold up.

Gee, did you really expect them to? Baggies won't hold up long outdoors and neither will duct tape, so expecting a product made from these two items to last isn't warranted.

Quote I did a couple of boxes with Glad ware because I liked the size. Now I'm replacing them with Rubbermaid.

The Rubbermaid containers with the rubber lip around the edge are durable, but they don't seal well. The container will often be found to be full of water, and after the baggies tear the log book will get soaked. Better to spend the money on Lock&Locks.
Reply to: #183303 by judithandsparky
Feb 4, 2008 5:21pm
Thread
Quote Other containers, like PB jars may work well also.

Remove the plastic gasket or the contents will forever smell of peanut butter. Now, with just the ungasketed lid on a plastic PB jar, it may or may not seal when you close it -- it seems to depend on the jar. One thing's for sure, though: If anything distorts the jar, such as being crammed into a crevice or having rocks piled on it, it will not seal. The distortion of the jar breaks the seal under the lid.

Two solutions:

1) Use glass PB jars. These come with all-natural peanut butter (which is what you should be buying anyway for your health) because all-natural peanut butter must be stirred when first opened to remix the peanut oil back into the peanut butter. The lid is similar, but the edge of the glass jar is much smoother for making a good seal against the plastic top, and of course you're not going to distort the jar, it's very rigid.

2) Install a shower pan liner gasket in the lid. Shower pan liner is available at Lowe's and Home Depot for perhaps $1.25 per square foot, but you'll probably have to buy at least four or five square feet off their roll. Enough to seal lots of PB jars, obviously. Put the open end of the jar down on the liner, mark around it with a ball point pen, and then cut out a disc with scissors cutting about a mm outside of the line.

Fitted with a shower pan liner gasket renders the PB jar excellent as letterbox containers. The only shortcoming is that some finders may not screw the top back on securely. But the same finders may put the top on a Lock&Lock back on upside down, so nothing's perfect.
Re: Lock & Lock - GOOD NEWS
Reply to: #183314 by Dixie
Feb 4, 2008 5:27pm
Thread
Quote I promised you a page where you could compare Lock & Lock sizes, item numbers etc.

Dixie: To be even more helpful, you might list both the inner dimensions and the outer dimensions of these containers. Some people may need to fit a particular size item inside, and others may need the box to fit into a particular size crevice.
Reply to: #183346 by Kirbert
Feb 4, 2008 5:39pm
Thread
To be even more helpful, you might list both the inner dimensions and the outer dimensions of these containers. Some people may need to fit a particular size item inside, and others may need the box to fit into a particular size crevice.

Thanks!
I thought of that too but just haven't had the time to do the measuring.
I have am using dimensions that come from the site and/or the containers themselves.
if you just so happen to be bored and wanna do some measuring for me... I'd be thrilled to get the info *snicker*
I know how much you love to test & measure & calculate.... :)
Reply to: #183345 by Kirbert
Feb 4, 2008 5:41pm
Thread
Kirbert, dude! Way harsh. Of course I expected the camo'ed baggies to hold up or I wouldn't have made them! Just teasing! ;-D

Actually they did hold up very well except for one very important detail, something that mrwndl saw that I didn't. The bag and the camo did well but don't use a Ziplock. Use one of those press close kind. The Zip is the part that breaks.
Reply to: #183351 by judithandsparky
Feb 4, 2008 5:49pm
Thread
The freezer quality bags hold up better than the storage quality. It also helps if you can find the type that have a double sealing strip--one above the other.

Still I don't think I'd use the zipper bags for regular plants unless I were sure I could check them often.

Knit Wit
It's strange... I'm sure I put it somewhere...
Feb 4, 2008 6:27pm
Thread
If you haven't been to the Lock'n'Lock web page yet, you're in for a treat. Enough shapes and sizes to make Dixie's distributor break down and cry. Squares! Rectangles! Boxes with handles!

And don't forget to watch the TV commercial. It's worth the price of admission on its own.

http://us.locknlock.com/main.asp

dave
Reply to: #183314 by Dixie
Feb 4, 2008 6:27pm
Thread
Dixie,
Will you be listing any #0 tips any time soon...I need 3!!!
Thanks,
Turtlelove
Re: It's strange... I'm sure I put it somewhere...
Reply to: #183376 by Fish Below The Ice
Feb 4, 2008 7:56pm
Thread
whatever do you mean?
my sales rep is a "lock & lock" sales rep...
they are aware of all the sizes... just some of them are not available except through retain pricing and of course I can't buy at retail prices to resale it at the same. also... the supply levels change. When they have huge amounts of something in stock the prices are better. :)
Re: It's strange... I'm sure I put it somewhere...
Reply to: #183376 by Fish Below The Ice
Feb 4, 2008 9:01pm
Thread
I went to the Lock'n'Lock page but, I couldn't find the price.

Zinni
Reply to: #183331 by Kirbert
Feb 5, 2008 2:51am
Thread
Quote Also, reportedly the camo paint acts as a critter repellant. Apparently it tastes bad when chewed.

Kirbert,

have you not tested this theory yet? I thought you were the tester of all possible letterboxing products.

~resQlou