A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Dungeons and Dragons

Re: Hal-looooo?
Board: Dungeons and Dragons
Reply to: #533589 by Sprite and Highlander
Aug 2, 2010 1:39pm
Thread
Anyone still alive, or have you all been lost to the dungeon known as REAL LIFE???

I would venture to say that my "Real Life" is probably a lot stranger than most Dungeons. And has a lot more Gelatinous Cubes.
Reply to: #533593 by wassamatta u
Aug 2, 2010 1:41pm
Thread
And has a lot more Gelatinous Cubes.

I'd like to think you just mean Jell-O, but the sudden thought that you might REALLY be talking about yourself and your coworkers is FAR more entertaining! LOL
Aug 2, 2010 1:46pm
Thread
I'm still lurking...waiting for my favorite bard to draw his faithful sword.

romana
Reply to: #533598 by Romana
Aug 2, 2010 1:50pm
Thread
I'm still lurking...waiting for my favorite bard to draw his faithful sword.

Y'know there's TWO bards around these parts...and only one who's any good! ;-)
Reply to: #533600 by Sprite and Highlander
Aug 2, 2010 1:56pm
Thread
Y'know there's TWO bards around these parts...and only one who's any good!

You know what they say... a Bard in the hand is worth two in the... dungeon? Dang, so close...

Wait, wait... we can go the Dragon route instead... The Early Bard gets the Wyrm.

Man, if I keep this up, I will be Bard from this Board!
Reply to: #533606 by wassamatta u
Aug 2, 2010 2:02pm
Thread
You know what they say... a Bard in the hand is worth two in the... dungeon? Dang, so close...

Wait, wait... we can go the Dragon route instead... The Early Bard gets the Wyrm.

Man, if I keep this up, I will be Bard from this Board!

Wassa, I want you to know that I actually spent time LOOKING for this Family Guy quote from Peter, just so I could post it here. Now, if I could just change your name to Meg and the board's name to "The House"...!
Aug 2, 2010 2:07pm
Thread
Funny activity should pop-up on this today!

S&H, I still owe you a mummies ransom.

For everyone else, I finaly broke down and started teaching my son D&D. He's been hooked on HeroQuest, but keeps drooling over my old books. Much to my schagrin he's hooked.

Lnd-Crzr
Reply to: #533600 by Sprite and Highlander
Aug 2, 2010 2:17pm
Thread
Y'know there's TWO bards around these parts...and only one who's any good! ;-)

too true, but I've only met one of them...the one with the sword with the funny nahme.

romana
Reply to: #533614 by LndCrzr
Aug 2, 2010 2:18pm
Thread
S&H, I still owe you a mummies ransom.

Really? Do I still owe you a mummy?

For everyone else, I finally broke down and started teaching my son D&D. He's been hooked on HeroQuest, but keeps drooling over my old books. Much to my chagrin he's hooked.

Get 'wm while they're young, I say! I wish I had more easily dungeon corruptible kiddos around me to teach it to. I DID spend some time roping my gal pals into it, with the help of the Highlander's sister, the IAP. We used the new basic boxed set and really had a GREAT time!
Reply to: #533609 by Sprite and Highlander
Aug 2, 2010 3:13pm
Thread
Y'know there's TWO bards around these parts...and only one who's any good!

Really, I don't know what you are worried about. The Dungeon is a big place, there's room for two Bards. It's not like we are going to get Minstrel Cramps!
Reply to: #533618 by Sprite and Highlander
Aug 3, 2010 6:21am
Thread
Really? Do I still owe you a mummy?

Yep. You should still have my mummy PLB. I said I'd send the S&H then never got it to ya.

We used the new basic boxed set

Same here. The box set seems like a REALLY good introduction to new players. But it should have figs! We ditched the tokens and played with figs, like D&D shld be played ; ) Though he's really wanting an adventure I create. We've had a great time with it so far. We're both game junkies, but we all know D&D can take that to a whole new level.

I'm sticking with 3.5 because it's what I've got (got the old school stuff too, but guess 3.5 is the way we're going). Haven't delved into any 4th ed yet and at this point don't see any reason too. Anyone here have any opinions on that?

Lnd-Crzr
Can Your
Aug 18, 2010 4:28pm
Thread
From the Facebook status of one of our gamer friends:

Rpgers, look at your GM, now back to me, now back at your GM, now back to me... sadly your game isn't run by me. But if you roll a natural 20, you would see I'm perfect for the role. I'm 20th level. An Old Spice GM

(P.S. I wanted to add "I'm on a hydra."!
Re: Can Your
Reply to: #538292 by Sprite and Highlander
Aug 19, 2010 3:00pm
Thread
Okay, so I added this instead:

Look down...now back up. You're in a 20 level dungeon with Gary Gygax and he's NOT undead. What's in your hand...back at me. You're holding that weapon with that enchantment that PWNS. Look again...the weapon is now +20 for ALL ROLLS! ANYTH...ING is possible when your DM is this good.

I'm on a hydra. (whistles Old Spice tune before beheading said hydra)
Reply to: #538518 by Sprite and Highlander
Aug 20, 2010 9:05am
Thread
Oh man. Coffee on screen moment. XD

~RW
Reply to: #538737 by RavenWolf
Aug 22, 2010 12:33pm
Thread
Oh man. Coffee on screen moment. XD

Perhaps you need this?
Geek humor
Nov 30, 2010 2:42pm
Thread
I figured this would be the most appropriate place to post this, 'cause no one will understand it but us.

A little geek humor for casual Friday.

~RW
Re: Geek humor
Reply to: #567975 by RavenWolf
Dec 1, 2010 10:02am
Thread
Yeah, we could all use a little bit of that right about now. Thanks for posting!

:-)
Re: Geek humor
Reply to: #567975 by RavenWolf
Dec 12, 2010 8:58am
Thread
ROFL! Celtic Quinn has this shirt. Seems to be working...he's still employed!
Hark!
Dec 30, 2014 8:18am
Thread
If this is a dead zone, please let me know. The most recent post is '09.
Re: Hark!
Reply to: #882072 by SeerMeesh
Dec 30, 2014 8:24am
Thread
At least that I could get to load.
Dec 30, 2014 8:26am
Thread
If this is a dead zone, please let me know.

Not dead. Just... resting.
Dec 30, 2014 2:19pm
Thread
There are a few still around. We are just quiet or off playing other games. ;)

Start a conversation and see if you get an answer.
5th ed. D&D
Dec 30, 2014 7:42pm
Thread
Wondering if anyone has tried it and a census. My husband and I are divided. He likes 2.0 and I don't mind 3.5, but didn't like 4.0.

Also does anyone LARP? Or is this strictly RPG fans?

Does anyone, that I haven't previously met, go to GenCon?
Re: 5th ed. D&D
Reply to: #882198 by SeerMeesh
Dec 31, 2014 8:05am
Thread
We have been playing 5th for a few months, now and I like it. Our DM feels that it is the best of all the old editions. A little less complicated than 2nd, D20 based like 3 and not as stupid as 4.

I played and DM'd 2nd edition for years before 3rd came out. We really liked the D20 changes but missed some of the extras that came with the 2nd. Converting everything that I used was also a pain. By the time 3.5 came out, I was feeling decidedly irritated by the marketing so, I never really took to 3.5. It was a good edition but, I was just soured by the fact that I had to buy yet another edition. 4th felt the same way and it was too streamlined. We played it for a little while with our current DM but, we all lost a little interest in the game over 4th edition.

5th edition has been good so far. I like that spellcasters finally have cantrips that they can use repeatedly that do a little more than light a campfire. Some of the character choices are back and 1st level characters are a little less 'Lambs to the slaughter.' It has been enjoyable so far. At least my dice are rolling again and that is a good thing. :)

I have not LARPed but, it is certainly not banned from this board. I have also never been to GenCon. Part of me wants to try it at least once but, the introvert is scared out of her wits to even try it. Maybe some day...
Dec 31, 2014 8:54am
Thread
I've been playing Eberron using 5e for a few months now. I haven't played since somewhere around 2e. I like the changes and plan on sticking with 5e.

I used to LARP (Masquerade) and LOVED it.

Never been to a Con, sadly, except for one Trekkie thing my Mom took me to about 30 years ago.

:)
3H
Reply to: #882227 by SpookyGroup
Dec 31, 2014 4:39pm
Thread
Sounds like your experiences about match mine. I really enjoyed the 2nd edition, both playing and DMing. The various new updated editions got annoying and soured me on playing. Perhaps I'll look into the 5th edition. It would be nice to get back into gaming.

I've never been to GenCon, but I have been to various other conventions and they can be a lot of fun, even for an introvert, which I am. :)

dp
Dec 31, 2014 4:41pm
Thread
I've never been to GenCon, but I have been to some smaller local cons and to DragonCon.

dp
Reply to: #882284 by dancingpecan
Jan 1, 2015 10:26am
Thread
I went to my first Gen Con in almost 13 years last summer. Not since it had been closer in Milwaukee, WI. Now, it's way in Indiana, but it is FABULOUS! I am a huge costume buff, so I crowd watch, take tons of pics, get some laughs in. It's not a cheap trip, but it has been a long time that the hubby and I spent so much time together. We tested a few new games. One we broke the system and tied on several levels. We bought it because it was fun and the guy threw in free stuff. Lol We joined an art class to etch our own pint glasses... they are all unique and awesome. The food trucks! Never tried anything like them! Such awesome food. I got to meet my favorite author, Margaret Weis and my favorite artist, Larry Elmore. I swear I almost passed out from happiness. I won a free shirt. Got awesome swag. Went shopping (I am putting together a Steampunk costume). But our main thing this year was a LARP by Darkness Remembered. I was hesitant as I had never done this before, but my hubby had. At first I was so anxious, confused, and given a character I that was so not me, I was overwhelmed and cried in the bathroom. I collected myself, went back, my husband sorted it out and the rest of the night, plus the next 3 were so much fun. I met some nice people. In RPG, I have been so many characters, but never fae, even though my every day personality usually goes that direction. But playing as a leprechaun was crazy. Lol

I definitely plan to go back.... plus I wanted to do more letterboxing while I was out. I only got a few last time due to time and our friends being in the car and raining quite a bit. I am hoping one year to spend a whole day letterboxing as they have one of the largest US cemeteries that has over 40 boxes.
Reply to: #882393 by SeerMeesh
Jan 2, 2015 1:05pm
Thread
Distance is also a huge factor for us. We live in Massachusetts so, Gen con would be a huge trip for us.

It sounds like fun though!
Oct 28, 2016 12:06pm
Thread
Alive - yes
Lost in real life - yes
Wanting more adventure - OH YEAH!!!