A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Yakking It Up

Re: new personal stamps
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #976410 by Rocklun
Jun 16, 2019 6:15pm
Thread
But how can your hubby be a birder if he doesn't have birding emergencies??!!

Well, maybe he does, but he doesn't call them that. Of course he keeps a spare pair of binos in his car, and he's very attuned to eBird. It's more like "I'm headed out to Clark Lake because a juvenile ruby-sided, yellow-rump, chestnut-throated two-toed vireo was just sighted, and the typical northern extent of their range is central Georgia. Bye."
Reply to: #976414 by Dawnkey
Jun 17, 2019 2:21am
Thread
Well, maybe he does, but he doesn't call them that.

TomAYtoes, tomAHtoes. 🙂
Reply to: #976377 by coldsnap
Jun 17, 2019 12:58pm
Thread
I have changed mine, but I do have a suggestion...

The signature stamp for my old trail name was too large for some logbooks, so I carved a mini stamp to use. You could carve a new stamp to use and keep that one for the small logbooks you come across.
Well, this is embarassing
Jun 20, 2019 12:22pm
Thread
I have totally lost my signature stamp. Oops.

When helping my friends move out of the dorms at GMU, I put all my ink pads and my signature stamp in a bag, but by the time we checked out of campus, they weren't there. I thought maybe they had somehow moved bags/boxes or I put them in the wrong place, but my friend's last box was unpacked yesterday with no trace of my acorn.

I managed to carve another one last night, but has anyone else lost a signature stamp or anything else like that? logbooks? Carving tools? etc?
Re: Well, this is embarassing
Reply to: #976480 by AdventurousAcorn
Jun 20, 2019 1:30pm
Thread
I lost a sig. stamp on the trail. It was later found but chewed on by an animal. I also left a logbook on the back of my car after returning from a trail and trying to take a pic of a raccoon & drove off. I never found it, although I found the walking stick and clue sheet in the parking lot after discovering my stupidity and returning.
rRe: Well, this is embarassing
Reply to: #976484 by Topcollector
Jun 20, 2019 1:53pm
Thread
I drove out of a cemetery with a logbook on the back of the car and off down the road. Got to the next cemetery and...........OH NOOOOO. Even drove back along that road looking but nothing, and nothing in the first cemetery.

Years ago I lost my trail stamp on a trail but it was in Connecticut and actually found by one of the gazillion boxers there and mailed back to me.

Thought I had lost the same trail stamp last year but it was buried down between the seats in the car in that place your hand will never fit....I guess. I swear I looked :::ALL OVER::: the car and couldn't find it. I guess it eventually went all the way down????....... because it "magically" appeared underneath the driver's side seat.
Reply to: #976485 by MissMoon
Jun 20, 2019 2:27pm
Thread
I think the worst part of it was that I had to climb back up the killer hill to get the 20+ stamps from the growing box. Before I realized I had lost it, I had just told my daughter that my boxing friend would have to go it alone because there's no way I was going to go back up that hill with her. I don't feel so bad since someone else drives off with stuff on their car too.
Reply to: #976487 by condo
Jun 20, 2019 2:44pm
Thread
I’m at an airport for our vacation with several printed clues in my carryon. I did not have the guts to even bring my sig stamp on this trip. I carved a small one to bring instead. My logic was I wasn’t going to see other boxers to exchange with, so why take the chance. I’m already having separation anxiety. I hope I didn’t make a mistake.
Reply to: #976488 by BinoBoxer
Jun 20, 2019 4:57pm
Thread
You should have taken your stamp. I happen to know that, if you lost it, it could be re-carved. <3
Reply to: #976493 by LROSEM
Jun 20, 2019 5:05pm
Thread
I panicked.
Jun 20, 2019 5:13pm
Thread
I lost a box. Literally. I went out, wrote down the clues, planted the box, then lost the clues before I could get home to post it.
Reply to: #976495 by SeerMeesh
Jun 20, 2019 7:20pm
Thread
I lost a box. Literally. I went out, wrote down the clues, planted the box, then lost the clues before I could get home to post it.

You don't memorize them as you write them down?
Reply to: #976500 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jun 20, 2019 7:57pm
Thread
I was on a trip to an odd location with my Girl Scout troop.
Jun 21, 2019 3:13am
Thread
It all started when I was at a party, sitting talking to someone and eavesdropping on someone (AQ member 818) else's conversation.
I finally decided to ask what they were talking about.
Letterboxing.
Long story, longer, AQ 818 carved my signature stamp as a welcome to Letterboxing gift.
Eleven years later, this past April, 270 miles from home, I attend one of 818's wonderful events.
No signature stamp anywhere to be found.
What does 818 do?
Sits down and carves another stamp for me!

Don't send me "Hugs"
818 deserves all available Hugs.

Join me in sending Hugs to 818.

Don't forget to send some to someone in your life that deserves one.
Jun 21, 2019 6:57am
Thread
drove for three hours, and a 30 minute boat ride to get a newly planted box........ packed up my markers, my logbook, my compass......everything i was going to need..........half way there realized that my sigi was at home along with all my ltc supplies that I was using prior to the trip!

We only went an hour and a half down the road to get a couple new boxes and some older ones around, but we get there, get out of the car, and no ink or signature stamps. We only have our log books. Luckily I happened to have a pink highlighter in my car that we used to stamp in.

Like you, I had been making LTCs and left the ink and stamps on my crafting table...
Reply to: #976495 by SeerMeesh
Jun 21, 2019 7:01am
Thread

It's a mystery box! Your clues could be "somewhere along the green trail, or perhaps the orange one, a little box hides under a pile of rocks at the base of a tree within an undisclosed number of steps from the trail..."
Reply to: #976518 by photopam
Jun 21, 2019 7:59am
Thread
It's a mystery box! Your clues could be "somewhere along the green trail, or perhaps the orange one, a little box hides under a pile of rocks at the base of a tree within an undisclosed number of steps from the trail..."

Youst havink givend me und vonderful idea. Be lookink for und new mvystery box svoon.
Jun 21, 2019 8:34am
Thread
A couple of years ago I found a stamp on the trail leading to a box. It was just a stamp lying on the ground. I tried my best to find the owner, but I never did.
Reply to: #976522 by airstream dreams
Jun 21, 2019 8:28pm
Thread
Wasn't at Mirror Lake State Park in Wisconsin Dells was it? Lol
Reply to: #976543 by SeerMeesh
Jun 22, 2019 7:26am
Thread
Found it in Georgia
Reply to: #976549 by airstream dreams
Jun 22, 2019 7:35am
Thread
Which trail? I have found a few small boxes missing stamps (and chewed on by raccoons) at SMP. Could it be a box stamp not a signature?
Jun 22, 2019 8:16pm
Thread
left my fingerprint. hubby, loved that breach of privacy not!!!

If someone has the equipment and time to track you through a most-likely coincidental encounter with a letterbox logbook, you've got bigger problems than a lost signature stamp! Probably need to quit that other hobby.
Reply to: #976517 by photopam
Jun 23, 2019 3:42am
Thread
I haven't seen Wanda & Pete's signture stamp in years. They draw in pine tree, etc., even color it sometimes. And they always write a story.
Jun 23, 2019 6:43am
Thread
Lost a full logbook once. It had 250 stamps in it. I had just filled it up. I had left it on a retaining wall next to the trail. Looked for about 2 hours for it.

When I travel by air, with a packed carry-on, I just bring sig stamp impressions on stickers, way more than I think I will use. And a small ‘travel’ logbook. Less to lose in the confusion!

You have a cute sig stamp, sorry you lost it!
Reply to: #976569 by KatieKat
Jun 23, 2019 8:51am
Thread
I have never seen any sig stamp for them, but they are about and reply to PMs at least... I had the opportunity to find one of their hides... just recently that had never been found... mostly due to wind blown debris covering it more than planned.

They do have a problem in that many of their listings are broken due to 'losing' their storage server where the clues exist... so... a lot harder to find... I had spotted the listing way back when it worked and was looking for another missing one that went away by another hider... also never found... but that one is likely toast by now... but I'm trying... so I knew there was a listing but was in unknown status so I had to find it and request a text of the clue... and they sent it to me, and I logged it...

I see they last logged in here yesterday... so they might see all this and comment or not... seem like nice people. though... I have to go look for some others in the area that i had to get info on... might get that done later this summer, if winter quits... there was snow on the ground two days back and more falling... ha.
Jun 24, 2019 10:40am
Thread
I was in a cemetery in NH and took out my sig stamp. I then moved to a better stamping location and realized somewhere between the headstone and my new spot I lost my sig stamp. Looked and looked and never found it. Lost in the leaves.
Reply to: #976630 by felixpezgirl
Jun 24, 2019 1:10pm
Thread
Which cemetery?
Just in case I happen to be in the area and feel like disturbing more than the peace.
Jun 24, 2019 10:39pm
Thread
I lost mine at an event. I had just recarved it, too, unless I'm lying. After slogging uphill to a rather famous and very old, historic box, I oxymoronically discovered it missing. I couldn't stamp in and was bummed about it. Later, I ran across it on the trail. I dragged Open Space back up there to do it right, of course. She's the best.
Reply to: #976640 by Grrly Girl
Jun 25, 2019 5:09am
Thread
It was one of the forgotton cemeterys that Bubaloo planted near Wakeda. I just remember now that the box was under a tall spire style stone and we walked a couple stones away from that ( to the right, facing back of stone). It was several years ago .
Reply to: #976667 by felixpezgirl
Jun 25, 2019 7:38am
Thread
Ah, I think I know the one you mean.
I was there during the event.
Maybe it's lost in the same place as the box that should have been there.