A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Yakking It Up

Re: Where the heck is my stamp!!??
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #970617 by Una Marlee Sue
Jan 23, 2019 4:39pm
Thread
Thank you! We think so. We love ginger cats too. We adopted two abandoned kitties (both orange) and became converts! One passed and the other one was despondent so we adopted another gingerboy to keep him company - Logan (pictured), the scamp. Ha ha, we love him... but he is precocious.
Reply to: #970623 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jan 23, 2019 5:59pm
Thread
I remember reading about the one you lost. We lost Karate at 19 years but a week later, Tony was found by my son and his dog.

Tony weighed 14 oz (10 without all the fleas) and was an abandoned runt feral. Took him to our vet and told her to test for FELV and FIP and I didn't want to see "it" until I knew I could fall in love. 10 minutes later her tech came out with Tony in her breast pocket and put him in my lap explaining they couldn't put an unvaccinated kitten in the back. He hunkered down and started purring and all I could think was "BI%$H!!"

He's 18 pounds now and the love of my life AND even more amazing, the spitting image of Karate.
Reply to: #970614 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jan 24, 2019 6:21am
Thread
Look at the expression on that handsome face ! Mischief in the form of a cat. :^)
Nine Question Quiz
Jan 28, 2019 3:49am
Thread
Nine Question Quiz . . .

OK -- JEOPARDY EXPERT
THIS QUIZ IS FOR
MY VERY BRIGHT FRIENDS!
There are only nine questions.

This is a quiz for people who know everything! I found out in a hurry that I didn't. These are not trick questions. They are straight questions with straight answers.

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons.
All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only
two perennial vegetables?

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside
the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters ' dw' and they are all common words. Name two of them.

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at
least half of them?

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with
the letter 'S.'

Scroll down for the answers.

Aaaaaaat.....Don't Cheat!!!!

Answers To Quiz:

1. The one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants
know the score or the leader until the contest ends:
Boxing.

2. North American landmark constantly moving backward:

Niagara Falls .. The rim is worn down about two and a half
feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush
over it every minute.

3. Only two vegetables that can live to produce on their own for several
growing seasons: Asparagus and rhubarb.

4. The fruit with its seeds on the outside: Strawberry.

5. How did the pear get inside the brandy bottle?
It grew inside the bottle. The Bottles are placed over pear buds When they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The
bottle is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears
are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.

6. Three English words beginning with dw:
Dwarf, dwell and dwindle

7. Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar:
Period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe,
question mark, exclamation point, quotation mark, brackets,
parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.

8. The only vegetable or fruit never sold frozen, canned, processed,
cooked, or in any other form but fresh: Lettuce.

9. Six or more things you can wear on your feet beginning with
'S': Shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates,
snowshoes, stockings, stilts.

Send this e-mail to at least one genius challenged person.
Okay, my job's done!

Don't send it back to me. I've already failed it once!
Re: Nine Question Quiz
Reply to: #970732 by Grrly Girl
Jan 28, 2019 5:48am
Thread
Fun quiz! I knew 6 1/3 answers so maybe I made it into the "passing score" column.
Jan 28, 2019 6:14am
Thread
I cheated! I knew all the answers after I read them.
Jan 28, 2019 8:39am
Thread
I got 5. Feeling quite educated now, thank you.
Jan 28, 2019 10:05am
Thread
I knew 6 of the 9. Interestingly, three of them I knew from watching The West Wing. Well, 2 of them were from The West Wing. I knew about the strawberries prior. But, there was an episode where they were playing poker and the Pres Bartlett kept interrupting the game to ask trivia questions. He asked #4, 6 and 7
Jan 28, 2019 2:20pm
Thread
I think #6 is wrong, they forgot Dwight
Reply to: #970751 by Don't Panic
Jan 28, 2019 6:54pm
Thread

Don't you know Scrabble rules? Proper names don't count!

And don't call me a dweeb for being pedantic about it. ;-)
Jan 29, 2019 4:39am
Thread

I know, Dwight was all I could think of!

“D.W.I.G.H.T – Determined, Worker, Intense, Good worker, Hard worker, Terrific.”
Jan 29, 2019 5:53am
Thread
And Dwile flonking
Can I just vent
Jan 29, 2019 6:55am
Thread
About how sucky people are? Last year, I emailed my family about interest in a family reunion....got a bunch of replies saying oh great idea, let us know, etc. Got a few of probably interested, but cant commit for next summer yet. Got a lot of no responses.

3 weeks ago, sent out an email asking which of two weekends works better and will go with majority. Got a few saying either is fine, not one that said one OR the other. Got a lot of no replies. SO I pick a weekend, work with one cousin to find a place that is sort of in the middle and put out info saying ok, book it. Now all the sudden, no one is free. I got one "if so and so goes, we wont go", one said they have to take a kid to school, and a few non commits. One said they are going on a mini vacation from KY to OH with a stop in Niagara Falls. Since when is Niagara Falls on the way back to KY? And to add insult to injury, I live 90 minutes from NF and have been asking this cousin for YEARS to come visit! So she comes when we are not here??

So instead of potentially 14 families, I have maybe 3. Everyone says great idea, but no one wants to commit to going!

And on another note...whats up with people not planning anything for just an evening. My daughter and I get together during the off season with a bunch of her hockey girls and the moms. We asked over a month ago for dates and settled on this Saturday. A few told us that their girl works on Saturdays, but the rest of them said they had to wait to see if their kid got scheduled. One girl was going to come but all the sudden accepted a babysitting job. Is it not worth asking for one night off? These kids are not working for survival....they don't need this money, these are the kids that have moms that don't blink when buying a $600 prom dress. So out of 9 girls 2 are free. My kid wants to reschedule but I think whats the point...it will be the same thing....a wait and see if they get scheduled or something else comes up.

No one commits to anything anymore....daughter has friends that will say they can do something on a Saturday and then all the sudden cant. Then posts pictures that they are doing something with someone else. Is this just the age? I do not remember doing that when I was a teen. Is it the era? If you blew someone off to do something else with someone else back in the day, there was no digital proof of it and you mostly got away with it. Now they post everything so everyone knows exactly who is doing what with who....

Ok rant over....thanks for listening....obviously I couldn't post this to my facebook as most of the people I am talking about would see it! Its so frustrating to be a pen and everyone else is a pencil.
Re: Can I just vent
Reply to: #970776 by Crazyolis
Jan 29, 2019 7:04am
Thread
Have a letterboxing event instead. Plant it and they will come! 🤗
Reply to: #970777 by Acorns4u
Jan 29, 2019 8:26am
Thread
And you can call it "The Venting Event" and have people carve stamps of angry (but funny) people and animals (I see a baboon showing teeth, or a howler monkey when thinking of this).
~SD~
US/Mexico border tour
Jan 29, 2019 10:38am
Thread
it took about 30 minutes to watch every segment.
very interesting.
it shows where there are existing walls, and where there is no wall.

https://www.usatoday.com/border-wall/us-mexico-interactive-border-map/
Jan 29, 2019 10:43am
Thread
What weekend did you pick?
Jan 29, 2019 11:30am
Thread
I would say that the people who dashed back a 'oh that's great' response probably didn't really give it a lot of thought. Human nature.

if so and so goes, we won't go

Screw them with that attitude. Seriously. Cross them off the list and move on. Trying to plan something like this is stressful enough without worrying about people like that.

One said they are going on a mini vacation from KY to OH with a stop in Niagara Falls. Since when is Niagara Falls on the way back to KY? And to add insult to injury, I live 90 minutes from NF and have been asking this cousin for YEARS to come visit! So she comes when we are not here??

I imagine they planned this trip when they could go? Maybe you don't have all the pertinent info? .....regardless of a family reunion date? Or whether or not you would be there?

As for the teenage girl thing I agree to keep the original date and get together with whoever shows up and forget the rest of the crap. You'll drive yourself nuts getting stressed out about who does this or that or doesn't do this or that.

There's just a lot of b**ls**t in this world that we have to try and let go of. It can be really hard but it can help us avoid a lot of stress. Life is just too freaking short.

So instead of potentially 14 families, I have maybe 3. Everyone says great idea, but no one wants to commit to going!

Depending on how important this is to you, maybe just tell people that due to not enough people going, it has been cancelled? That's a decision you would have to make. :(
Jan 29, 2019 11:36am
Thread
You will have a blast with the ones who show. Post lots of (potentially) jealousy-inducing photos to Facebook. Love the one you're with.
Reply to: #970790 by Goofy girl
Jan 29, 2019 12:23pm
Thread
The third weekend in July! You wanna come....you can be part of the family!
Reply to: #970762 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 29, 2019 2:25pm
Thread
Don't you know Scrabble rules? Proper names don't count!

Ok, I'll give you that one but what about dweeb
Re: US/Mexico border tour
Reply to: #970788 by Grrly Girl
Jan 29, 2019 2:29pm
Thread
Thanks for this. Can't wait to get home and watch more tonight. Not sure which side was US and which Mexico on the clip I saw--just desert and a road on one side.
Reply to: #970805 by Topcollector
Jan 29, 2019 3:23pm
Thread
I believe the tour begins where the mouth of the Rio Grande empties into the Gulf of Mexico and travels west toward San Diego. Very interesting!
Reply to: #970807 by Boxer Lover47
Jan 29, 2019 3:35pm
Thread
There are letterboxes along that route. I hope building the wall does not lead to the destruction of any boxes.
Reply to: #970808 by Wronghat
Jan 29, 2019 7:30pm
Thread
I hope building the wall does not lead to the destruction of any boxes.

They're building a wall? You must be getting your news somewhere other than I do. That's not the rumor I heard. ;o)

-- Ryan, who's walked through both the Mexican and Canadian borders (but only the Mexican border had barbed-wire that I had to crawl through)
Jan 29, 2019 7:49pm
Thread
I totally get you on this! I've lost a lot of "friends" over the past few years because of their inability to be reliable. We'd schedule just a simple lunch for a few weeks out and then I'd be on my way there, sometimes driving for a solid chunk of time, for them to text me and be like "oh, my mom says I can't go." Is that so? You're 23 and your mother says you can go out for pizza at 11:30 on a tuesday? Then an hour later they're posting on snapchat that they're out bowling or something with another friend.

I think it's part of the new "millennial culture" where nothing is urgent and reliability and expectations are jokes...

I really really like the idea of a "venting event". I don't want to promise anything but I will make every effort to go no matter where it is and will ONLY rsvp yes if I know I can make it :)
Reply to: #970822 by buddyjumper
Jan 30, 2019 7:39am
Thread
I really really like the idea of a "venting event".

Festivus occurs every year and includes airing of grievances...
Reply to: #970820 by Green Tortuga
Jan 30, 2019 12:32pm
Thread
Apparently, they approved a portion back in March, and are set to bulldoze soon.

From the Sierra Club FB page:
"We now know that they're going to start building Trump's border wall in the Lower Rio Grande Valley National Wildlife Refuge of South Texas in just a couple of weeks. They will bulldoze a 150-foot swath of forest and cover it with gravel and then build an 18- to 30-foot concrete wall with steel posts on top.

The funds for this border wall were provided in the March 2018 Omnibus spending bill which allocated $1.6 billion for border walls and passed with bipartisan support.

This wall will permanently damage and possibly lead to the closure of Bentsen State Park and the National Butterfly Center, which are important economic drivers in the Rio Grande Valley. And it will end forever our dreams of a restored wildlife corridor along the river.

Please contact your Members of Congress today and everyday using the Congressional switchboard (202) 224-3121 and the office of Governor Greg Abbott at (512) 463-2000. Please share this information, too, since so many people are under the mistaken impression that Trump's wall has not yet been funded."

I have not verified the information yet, but hope they did.
Reply to: #970800 by Crazyolis
Jan 31, 2019 4:24pm
Thread
Ill check the calendar!
Reply to: #970901 by Goofy girl
Jan 31, 2019 5:57pm
Thread
Im sorry i so wish i could come and be family -one kid comes back from camp, family reunjon for hubbys side that weekend and hibby is out of town...