Read Board: Yakking It Up

Re: for Ryan and Rhode Islanders
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #970297 by Grrly Girl
Jan 14, 2019 8:13am
Thread
what am I doing wrong?
I can't make a Tiny URL

I've never used Tiny URL so I can't help you there, but the first thing you can do to make the link shorter is cut off everything after the question mark and that will shorten it to https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/polish-donuts

Which is a perfectly usable URL. This trick doesn't necessarily work with all URLs, but looking at all of the the text after the question mark, it includes terms like "source", "email campaign", "medium=email", etc., so it was pretty obvious to me that none of that is really essential. It's just used to track you and let them know where you got the URL, but none of it is needed for the actual page.

AQ doesn't accept the symbol ")" as part of the URL, mostly because it's not uncommon for people to write something like "I love Atlas Quest (https://www.atlasquest.com/)," and in that situation, a parenthesis is NOT part of the URL. It really shouldn't be used in URLs either, so AQ won't accept it as a URL and everything that comes after it will get cut off. Which, in this case, didn't matter because nothing that came after it was important for the URL to work.

-- Ryan

PS. I was in Poland last year for "Donut day." It was delicious. =)
Re: for Ryan and Rhode Islanders
Reply to: #970297 by Grrly Girl
Jan 14, 2019 9:12am
Thread
I’ll have to pick up a few then box in Pulaski Park!

Warrior Woman
needs to get up there more often
Re: Are links safe?
Reply to: #970294 by Green Tortuga
Jan 15, 2019 1:08pm
Thread
Thanks for your reply, Ryan. All good points, and I do feel pretty safe on AQ. 8~)
Welcome to Blue Heron Nature Preserve
Jan 16, 2019 2:03pm
Thread
I just noticed there's a new member called Blue Heron Nature Preserve and I was curious so I clicked on them. Kudos! Three boxes planted today in a 30 acre nature park in Atlanta, GA. I think it's great that they sponsor this fun outdoor activity for their visitors. I'm in the dreary Midwest so I won't be visiting anytime soon, but thought it was interesting.

https://bhnp.org/
Re: Welcome to Blue Heron Nature Preserve
Reply to: #970364 by Jabber
Jan 16, 2019 3:03pm
Thread
I was there about a week ago to look for a older box, when I got home I found three more boxes listed on ldna... and now these. Yay! Very pretty park, it is a bit flood prone.
Re: Welcome to Blue Heron Nature Preserve
Reply to: #970364 by Jabber
Jan 16, 2019 7:35pm
Thread
Three boxes planted today in a 30 acre nature park in Atlanta, GA.

There are no signs leading to it not being someone representing the actual nature preserve. They are all store bought stamps, but as long as they are into this then it is an encouraging sign.
Noxgear
Jan 18, 2019 6:55pm
Thread
Saw an ad on faceboook today for a site called noxgear. Do any of your mixers need gear? (This particular ad was for lit up running vests. Would kind of mess with your stealthiness)
Re: Noxgear
Reply to: #970430 by Baqash
Jan 18, 2019 9:23pm
Thread
Not at all. Honey, you go that way and distract them, and I’ll go this way and get the box.
Reply to: #970430 by Baqash
Jan 19, 2019 6:17pm
Thread
Never taken them boxing....but Noxgear products are awesome and worth every penny. I've got one, and my dogs both have them. They're 👍👍.

If anyone thinks of getting one, let me know. A friend is a brand rep for them, and I have a code for a heafty discount.
Reply to: #970452 by ladybugz
Jan 19, 2019 9:34pm
Thread
Noxgear products are awesome and worth every penny.

Wouldn't they be only for noxers? ;-)
Reply to: #970433 by Maude
Jan 20, 2019 9:00am
Thread
Maude; I like the way you think.
my nightmare
Jan 20, 2019 11:19am
So, last night I had a nightmare that someone else did the exact same event we are planning. Needless to say, I woke up very upset and in distress. I realize that we have not posted the event yet and while by this time of the year it normally is, it probably won't be posted until late February, assuming all goes well with a very serious situation. Sorry to be Facebook vague about it but it's upsetting to go into further details. Anyhoo, fingers crossed and hopes and prayers, all will be fine.

Just know that our event crew is very excited about this one! For those who are potentially interested, we are looking at the last weekend of September or the first weekend in October. I can never remember which. Lol!

csk
Coddiwomple
Jan 22, 2019 6:43am
Thread
Coddiwomple

That is all

Warrior Woman
Another new one for me
Jan 22, 2019 6:44am
Thread
Coddiwomple.

You’re welcome

Warrior Woman
flexing vocab muscles
Re: Coddiwomple
Reply to: #970546 by Warrior Woman
Jan 22, 2019 6:53am
Thread
I love that word! Maybe we can meet up on your/our upcoming adventure?
Reply to: #970548 by BaliWho
Jan 22, 2019 9:37am
Thread
Yes! That’d be awesome. I’ll be the one wearing dark glasses indoors!

Warrior Woman
😎
Reply to: #970546 by Warrior Woman
Jan 22, 2019 2:24pm
Thread
Bumfuzzled
Reply to: #970574 by Goofy girl
Jan 22, 2019 3:00pm
Thread
Instead of googling I'm just gonna assume that has something to do with your bum.

You're welcome.
Re: Another new one for me
Reply to: #970547 by Warrior Woman
Jan 22, 2019 3:02pm
Thread
Finally, a single word that describes the essence of my life.

I am in your debt. Thank you. :^)
Reply to: #970574 by Goofy girl
Jan 22, 2019 3:16pm
Thread
Daniel Boone was once asked if he had ever been lost. He replied no, but that he had been bumfuzzled for a week once.
Reply to: #970458 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 23, 2019 7:29am
Thread
Well....I suppose that is an excellent point....
Where the heck is my stamp!!??
Jan 23, 2019 8:20am
Thread
Well, at least I know it’s in the house.

Last night I finished up carving a new stamp. I left it on the coffee table where I carve. The plan was to get up this morning and do the first printing. Ok, let’s get going... wait, what!? Where’s my stamp?

Over in the corner my cat is looking at me coyly. Grrr. Now the search begins... I just hope it’s still in one piece.

Cats.
Re: Where the heck is my stamp!!??
Reply to: #970598 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jan 23, 2019 8:53am
Thread
Our dog, Taz, has been known to hide my stamps too.....I'd prepped a ton of them for the event in Australia and carefully placed them in a lock n' lock for going into my luggage. Woke up and box was GONE.....panic search revealed it was carefully buried in the backyard......sigh.
Reply to: #970598 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jan 23, 2019 9:57am
Thread
Same thing happens at my house times 4!!!!!
Reply to: #970599 by Public Hand
Jan 23, 2019 10:07am
Thread
panic search revealed it was carefully buried in the backyard.

And here I am trying to teach my dog to dig on command so he can help me find letterboxes.
Reply to: #970604 by Johnsosaurus
Jan 23, 2019 10:16am
Thread
so he can help me find letterboxes

We tried that......Taz was awesome at locating new boxes (we think he can smell the new plastic) BUT......he couldn't tell us where he got it so putting it back became a serious issue.
Reply to: #970605 by Public Hand
Jan 23, 2019 10:27am
Thread
Taz was awesome at locating new boxes (we think he can smell the new plastic) BUT......he couldn't tell us where he got it so putting it back became a serious issue.

You need a spotter, someone who watches where Taz goes so that you can put it back. Or maybe you need a leash so that he doesn't get very far away.

The option can't be to not take Taz. Dogs so much like running in new places; all of the new sights and sounds are wonderful.
Reply to: #970606 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 23, 2019 11:46am
Thread
Taz used to be our bestest trail buddy.....his back's gone and his hips are going so he is relegated to couch potato these days.......:(
Reply to: #970609 by Public Hand
Jan 23, 2019 1:55pm
Thread
Sorry to hear about Taz. 🐶 sending hugs!

On a lighter note, after a prolonged search we found the stamp. He had squirreled it away but luckily it wasn’t any worse for wear. Just a few pointy bite marks. Texture right?

The face of innocence: What stamp!? 😽
Reply to: #970614 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jan 23, 2019 2:10pm
Thread
Oh my goodness, he is soooooo handsome!!!!!