A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Yakking It Up

Re: Pet peeves
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #934817 by Topcollector
Sep 15, 2016 5:43pm
Thread
I think some of you would enjoy this book. It describes a real-life quest to find and fix typos, grammar problems, etc. on a trip across the U.S.
Gas shortage in the south on the way?
Sep 15, 2016 7:13pm
Thread
Re: Gas shortage in the south on the way?
Reply to: #934992 by crosscresent
Sep 16, 2016 7:04am
Thread
I didn't even know we had a pipeline there!
Reply to: #934989 by Rocklun
Sep 16, 2016 8:13am
Thread
Reply to: #934882 by photopam
Sep 16, 2016 9:17am
Thread
Badly
Sep 16, 2016 9:37am
Thread
Oh no, up go the gas prices!
Sep 16, 2016 12:52pm
Thread
Stopped at the station today and they were out of certain grades. Supplier issues it said. This is in KY.
Reply to: #934912 by Klaatu
Sep 16, 2016 4:37pm
Thread
When did "way" become an acceptable substitution for "far" as in, "There are way to many grammar errors written and spoken by professional writers and speakers?"
I hear and see it in commercials and news on the radio, TV and newspapers.

That would be one of my pet peeves.....the incorrect uses of the words "to" and "too".

Had to do it.

Klaatu barada nikto
Reply to: #934882 by photopam
Sep 16, 2016 4:40pm
Thread
The Alot is an imaginary creature that I made up to help me deal with my compulsive need to correct other people's grammar. It kind of looks like a cross between a bear, a yak and a pug, and it has provided hours of entertainment for me in a situation where I'd normally be left feeling angry and disillusioned with the world.

deniserows
alot
Reply to: #934969 by zoemomma
Sep 16, 2016 4:50pm
Thread
As an Alaskan who fishes, we never say the word sal-mon or sa mon or salmon. We refer to the genus Salmon by colloquial nouns that identify the species: Silvers, Pinks, Reds, Dogs, Chum, Humpies etc.

deniserows
with a sharp filet knife at the ready
Reply to: #935032 by MissMoon
Sep 17, 2016 5:03am
Thread
I can't seem to find 'gonna', 'wanna', doya', 'cuz', havta' and other words in my dictionary. I guess
I betta buy a new one, huh? Anyone else have dasame problem?
Sep 17, 2016 5:05am
Thread
Oh, and what about 'Donald Trump HE did such and such {substitute any name}}.
I better leave now or I won't get any boxing in today.
Sep 17, 2016 5:37am
Thread
We found out about it the day before it made breaking news. Just because we know somebody that works in the gasoline field. A whole week went by since this spill was originally found. Even he had just found out because they were trying to keep it on the down low. Thankfully I have a full tank of gasoline. But all of the gas stations on our street are out. I do live about a mile from the interstate so they would probably be the first to run out.
Re: Grad announcements
Reply to: #934617 by Crazyolis
Sep 17, 2016 8:33am
Thread
My dd graduated last June; and the whole process seemed like a money grab!
I mean, just to get a "senior portrait" into the yearbook cost $40. Of course, we were allowed to spend hundreds more if we wanted copies...
We had to pay for the outfit, but she couldn't decorate her hat or she wouldn't be allowed to walk. Seriously!?
And the announcements etc...wow.

We had to skip those. I emailed everyone to let them know. It was interesting to see which branches of the family felt that no announcement meant no acknowledgement. And I was surprised that one branch made an extreme effort to get out here to go to the ceremony.

I'm with you...high school grad is exciting and all, but college is the big accomplishment. Though I'm still not spending tuition or wedding type money on the party...
Reply to: #935036 by Sagacorn
Sep 17, 2016 11:44am
Thread
I can't seem to find 'gonna', 'wanna', doya', 'cuz', havta' and other words in my dictionary. I guess
I betta buy a new one, huh? Anyone else have dasame problem?

That's very 'inneresting'. lol

I hate it when politicians change their speech patterns and grammar for each audience in different parts of the country.
Reply to: #935033 by deniserows
Sep 17, 2016 10:15pm
Thread
Reply to: #935042 by Uncorny Acorns
Sep 18, 2016 6:42am
Thread
We had to pay for the outfit, but she couldn't decorate her hat or she wouldn't be allowed to walk. Seriously!?

When did decorating the caps become such a thing? We didn't do that when I graduated a whole lot of years ago! Now these kids have cap decorating parties....they are super fancy and done up! Glitter, puffy paint, sparkles...you name it. They have their sport team logo, their name, best friends, college, whatever they can fit on it.

I imagine we will do some sort of party, but food will be an issue. For one party I throw, I would like to not be in the kitchen the whole time, however that usually means getting it catered! Cha ching!!! We went to one over the summer that had Wegmans (the best grocery store) do all the food, sandwich trays, fruits, etc...it was fabulous! They did a great job. Probably still a few hundred, but way less than a caterer!
Reply to: #935061 by Crazyolis
Sep 18, 2016 10:49am
Thread
When did decorating the caps become such a thing? We didn't do that when I graduated a whole lot of years ago! Now these kids have cap decorating parties....they are super fancy and done up!

Probably the same day "graduating" from Pre-K (yes, I'm serious) became a thing, complete with mini-caps and gowns, and then Kindergarten "graduation," became a thing, complete with mini-caps and gowns, a ceremony and reception with refreshments. And what kind of a bad mommy would you be if you weren't down for that?
Sep 18, 2016 11:46am
Thread
I remember cap decorating...It had to be relatively flat so only noticeable from behind or above. But kids did cute stuff like putting the initials of their future college on there.

I guess it got out of hand?

We only did a small party, so catering wasn't a big issue, but we splurged on "real" gluten free pizza. We had some cake concerns, because dd wanted it to be her day and she is gluten free/dairy free for medical reasons, and my mom was certain the entire day would be a flop without a real cake. But no one missed it! We had a few sweet nibbles and a gorgeous fruit platter; people were taking cookies home because they'd filled up on fruit. (Lots of munchies from Costco. Easy to get out on the table, easy to eat while wandering...)

Uncorny
Sep 18, 2016 1:46pm
Thread
When did decorating the caps become such a thing? We didn't do that when I graduated a whole lot of years ago! Now these kids have cap decorating parties....they are super fancy and done up! Glitter, puffy paint, sparkles...you name it. They have their sport team logo, their name, best friends, college, whatever they can fit on it.

Well, my son's HS graduating class was over 700 students, and his college graduation was held in the basketball arena with us sitting quite far away, so a decorated cap is one way you can actually find your kid.
Sep 19, 2016 2:52am
Thread
Thank you for reminding me of an information tidbit I learned a while ago.
There is only one way to write this sentence correctly.
"There are three ways to write the word to."
Gregg's shorthand uses the same symbol for to, too and two.
K.
Reply to: #935097 by Klaatu
Sep 19, 2016 7:10am
Thread
Gregg's shorthand uses the same symbol for to, too and two.

Interesting. I always think of 'two' as having nothing to do with 'to' and 'too' because it is a number.

I am a compulsive googler.....I guess that's a word now....auto correct is ignoring it.

In light of the general discussion....:)

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/the-58-most-commonly-misused-words-and-phrases-a6754551.html

Turns out........• Irregardless is not a word but a portmanteau of regardlessand irrespective. [Note: Pinker acknowledges that certain schools of thought regard "irregardless" as simply non-standard, but he insists it should not even be granted that.]

Portmanteau huh? Who knew?

MM.....head spinning
Help me find a parental rating for "Episode".
Sep 20, 2016 8:39am
Thread
Hi all :-)

I'm trying to find the parental rating for an online game called Episode. The problem is, no matter which way I Google it, it keeps wanting to tell me about the types of ratings in general for anything.

The name of the game is apparently tricky for Googling. I know that some people on here like to do investigating through the internet. Any help?

Mucho gracias.
-cc
Re: Help me find a parental rating for "Episode".
Reply to: #935155 by crosscresent
Sep 20, 2016 8:43am
Thread
Is it like a choose your own adventure thing, like the Sims?

Is it this? If so it says it's 12+ and why on the left side there.
Sep 20, 2016 10:11am
Thread
Went to Amazon and looked up name under video games. They rate it as "Guidance Suggested". Hope that helps
Reply to: #935033 by deniserows
Sep 20, 2016 10:25am
Thread
Have you read this? If not, you should. I would imagine that you would enjoy it immensely.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

ETA: GAH! Super Hedge Hoggie Beat me to the punch.
Sep 21, 2016 9:05am
Thread
I don't know about a rating, but I have downloaded it and tried it. I would not let any of my kids play it until they are 18. Some very heavy "romantic" and emotional themes that I don't think under 16 should be exposed to.
Reply to: #935194 by Scribe
Sep 25, 2016 7:53am
Thread
Thank yall very much!!!
This Day in history: Jack The Ripper Letter. Curious.
Sep 27, 2016 7:30am
Thread
Greetings,

I could not help but see the charming brisk note regarding Jack the Ripper and his precious letter.

My, how curious. Sounds like a bit of a grand mystery to me.

Granted, the world is full of many mysteries, I'd rank this one Fifth. Yes. Fifth.

The 13th Mystery
Re: This Day in history: Jack The Ripper Letter. Curious.
Reply to: #935470 by The 13th Mystery
Sep 27, 2016 7:53am
Thread
What are the others?